Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Other Board Games (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What Board Game Are You Currently Playing? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23535)

Hahma June 2nd, 2011 11:48 PM

Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus (Post 1416149)

I just played 2 more times...I suck.

I played another solo with all spirit and got bogged down by too many forest spiders. Though I did manage to get half way through the 3rd location, so I was at least close.

I then played another co-op game with healing and attack spheres (I forget the technical names) and man I killed everything but there was just too many location cards!! Even when I exhausted everything I had for willpower, my threat was still going up by like 2 or 3 a turn. Legolas can't progress when there's nothing to kill!!!

I do like the healing heroes a lot. I might try a healing, progression duo next time.

When I combined all 3 spheres, I had 50 cards exactly. It was a little tricky to get the right resources for the right cards.

Believe me, you don't suck. I lost a lot at first and I've played maybe 15 solo games and 2 co-op games thus far. The game is difficult and there are a lot of things to remember at first.

The healing sphere would be Lore and the attacking sphere would be Tactics. And yeah, you have to set up Legolas to do the killing so you can get progress tokens. But if there's nothing to kill, then it hurts. Especially if you don't exhaust him during the quest phase in hopes of letting him attack, and then another Location or Treachery card shows up.

I've come to be okay with it being difficult to win, as it adds to the replayability of the core set. There are only 3 scenarios in the set, so if it were easy, the game would get stale pretty quick. Once you get better and learn the best time to use certain cards, then you just have to worry about the luck of the encounter deck reveals and the luck of your draws from your deck. There's some luck involved as well as some good decision making. Sometimes you get too many locations showing up at the wrong time or too many enemies showing up at the same time and then there's the treachery cards that can really mess you up.

I was addicted to the game for the first couple weeks and got in lot of my plays then, but I decided to back off some and slow play it so I don't get burnt out. I have turned my attention to Thunderstone of late as that's another new game for me, so I've been teaching the kids and getting destroyed when I have tried it solo. But I'll pick up LOTR again here and there soon, and can't wait for the Adventure Packs to start coming out in July. :)

Cyborgs Gaming June 3rd, 2011 02:39 PM

Last night I tried out a solo game of Yggdrasil. By the end of the day I had ended up playing a 4 player game and a 5 player game as well. People have really enjoyed this game. It is a beautiful game. There is a lot going on in this one, so many things you can do to fight off the evil gods from taking over the World Tree. I won my solo game, we lost the 4 player game, and we won the 5 player game. I'm going to have to say now that this is my favorite coop game. Unless you consider WoW:TBG a coop game, then it's probably close to a tie. Already have someone wanting to buy it. Sometime bettween these games of Yggdrasil we also played another game of Archaeology, which I won again. I think my former days as a gin champion transfer over to this one. The same game stratagies I used in Gin seem to work for Archaology. Haven't played Gin in at least 5 years now though.

Land-based AE June 3rd, 2011 10:05 PM

Warhammer Invasion x2 tonight.

Game one my wife's Dwarves took the day as Ancestrial tomes (x3) left developments all over the place and the serpent slayer clobbered my demons.

Game two my demons responded as the dwarves had no response for 3 great unclean ones pounding through the battlefield.

Hahma June 4th, 2011 12:51 AM

Today I got the three sets preceding Thunderstone Dragonspire in the mail. I just got all the cards unwrapped and put (except XP cards and extra randomizers) into the Dragonspire box. Wow that box is heavy now, but it fits and now my daughters will have more "girl" heroes to have at their disposal and a lot more goodies from the village and some cool new monsters, treasures and traps. :)

Matthias Maccabeus June 4th, 2011 03:00 AM

Got some gaming in early with my daughter and then some with the Wisconsin crew, and everybody that helped set up maps for the Nebraska Multiplayer Madness.

LotR the Card game x 2 - Played a co-op game with my daughter early in the day and we barely pulled out a victory. Second game we played a 3 player co-op and won pretty easily. I'm really enjoying this game.

HeroScape - The hydra can be nasty when it's blocking 3 to 4 skull attacks with regularity.

Bang! - This game is just a blast every time I play it. I was the Renegade and got in a showdown wit the sheriff at the end but didn't really have a chance.

Citadels - Another great game with lots of players. I had the lead early but then started getting warlorded and ET86 used his armory to take out my high point district.

Ascension - Fun game. Bad art.

wdgrant June 4th, 2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodriquez (Post 1412913)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdgrant (Post 1412905)
Today was the local Twilight Imperium 3rd edition game. We had four players and it was a very good game. I was able to take and hold Mecatol Rex which led to a 6 point turn thanks to Imperial II, my secret objective and a 3 point public objective. I love this game and wish I could play it more often.

about how long does it take ye to play?
I was given a copy of this and am working on muddling through the rules.
but I really do hope it plays faster than World of Warcraft(not played it much due to the 6-8-10+ hr games).

I like starcraft bg though and we can run a 3-4 player game in 2-4 hours though Ive still not got the whole combat system down on it.

cheers
Rod

Our games go about 8 to 10 hours, but the base game can be played faster. The Imperial role really speeds the game up, and with experienced players, 4 hours is realistic. Not for your first game, but down the road. We just don't like the Imperial role and use the expansion options instead.

CheddarLimbo June 4th, 2011 10:44 AM

Zombie Dice, Parade and Unspeakable Words with Mrs. Cheddar

Chardar June 4th, 2011 10:45 AM

Just broke out Castle Ravenloft for the first time in a few months. This game is brutal.

1Mmirg June 4th, 2011 11:05 AM

Don't you just love some of those Event cards? It's a great game, but you can sure get yourself in trouble in a hurry if you don't have a bank of dead monsters/XP when one of the truly mean cards shows up...

Hahma June 4th, 2011 12:02 PM

Just got finished with a game of Dominion with my girls. Morgan finally won, with a score of 41 to my 39 and Paige's 25. At the moment they like Dominion better than Thunderstone as they not only have more experience with it, but it's also a lot easier and quicker. Haven't played Dominion for a little bit, so it was nice to get a game in today. :)

B:T:L Matt June 4th, 2011 12:02 PM

Played two games last night...

1x Thunderstone
Had a good randomized set on this one. I really enjoyed fighting the nature elementals. I won snagging the thunderstone with the scores as 48 to 36.

1x Dominion w/ Seaside
This was a fast moving game with the decks we had. It was a close one too. My girlfrind won 48 to 44.

1Mmirg June 4th, 2011 01:31 PM

We mixed Prosperity and Seaside on Thursday night. Turned out to be one of those mixes that really stretches the game out, but it was sure a blast. I can't recall now who won, but it was quite fun and tight (and fairly high scoring--I know we were up in the 60s). I have to say I like the way Dominion plays so differently with some card mixes.