Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Other Board Games (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What Board Game Are You Currently Playing? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23535)

Darkmage7a December 10th, 2009 05:27 AM

Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jexik (Post 970837)
I often judge it by the listed age from the manufacturer. If a game says 8 and up, it's pretty easy to learn. If it says 10 and up (which I think Catan oddly does, but I'd put it around 8 or 9) it'll be tougher. If a game says 12 and up, like Agricola, Race for the Galaxy or RoboRally, you're bound to get a few people that don't quite "get it" right away, regardless of their age.

Heroscape is 8+ Are you trying to tell us something Jexik?

A_Train December 10th, 2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkmage7a (Post 971094)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jexik (Post 970837)
I often judge it by the listed age from the manufacturer. If a game says 8 and up, it's pretty easy to learn. If it says 10 and up (which I think Catan oddly does, but I'd put it around 8 or 9) it'll be tougher. If a game says 12 and up, like Agricola, Race for the Galaxy or RoboRally, you're bound to get a few people that don't quite "get it" right away, regardless of their age.

Heroscape is 8+ Are you trying to tell us something Jexik?

That Heroscape is pretty easy to learn. I wouldn't argue that.

soberman December 10th, 2009 12:33 PM

I think an 8 yr old could understand the rules of Catan,but would easily fail to grasp the nuances of strategy required. As for HS, the 8+ rating is due to the inclusion of the basic game, not the one 99.1% of the registered users here usually play.

soberman December 10th, 2009 12:39 PM

Oh yeah, I finally played "A Castle For All Seasons" with the new winter cards roayldoy made for me, just last night. It seemed appropriate beneath the tree and all. Great stuff.

Snagged "Bull In A China Shop' at Half-Price Books. Great variation on "Coloretto".

Finished my collection of "Ticket to Ride" games with the recent Days of Wonder, "buy $50 worth, get Marklin free" sale, and, I must say, adding movement to TtR, making it more dynamic, is like the sparkle in my cider. Now I'm positively drooling over "Railways of the World". (please Santa!)

Jormi_Boced December 10th, 2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soberman (Post 971240)
I think an 8 yr old could understand the rules of Catan,but would easily fail to grasp the nuances of strategy required. As for HS, the 8+ rating is due to the inclusion of the basic game, not the one 99.1% of the registered users here usually play.

We have had several kids in our tourneys playing the advance game and even winning games that are 8 and under.

Drumline3469 December 10th, 2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

I think an 8 yr old could understand the rules of Catan,but would easily fail to grasp the nuances of strategy required.

:rofl: @ Catan taking strategy.

ellak96 December 10th, 2009 04:21 PM

Enjoying Redemption ccg, Trying to get ready for a dec 26 tournament in orlando

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher December 10th, 2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced (Post 971272)
Quote:

We have had several kids in our tourneys playing the advance game and even winning games that are 8 and under.

Young kids regularly beat adults at our tourneys.

Jormi_Boced December 10th, 2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher (Post 971389)
Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't call it regular at our tourneys, but it happens.

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher December 10th, 2009 04:53 PM

he he, ask Killercactus about his defeats to KCU's little bro. Epic stuff!

southwest ninja December 10th, 2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced (Post 971404)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

well our younger ones must be around better talent to train them i guess.;)

Darkmage7a December 10th, 2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southwest ninja (Post 971611)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced (Post 971404)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

well our younger ones must be around better talent to train them i guess.;)

Everyone starts out with a certain amount of luck, it sort of diminishes as you get older. Those young-ins are running on a full tank. We used all of ours up play NES. Don't believe me? Give a 10 year old a frenzy army , play a few games and we'll see who's crying about statistical improbabilities.;)