Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   General (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Sad announcement about my life (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=61058)

xraine69 August 24th, 2022 12:44 PM

Sad announcement about my life

For those who remember me from back in the day, I have very sad news about my son. As a lot of you knew, I was a single father raising my son. Unfortunately, on Nov 27, 2016, Xayden took his own life at 13, while visiting his mother. I still grieve everyday. I just felt I should share this to explain the thumbnail in my signature. I am looking forward to the new release of Scape, hopefully with this back, I will be able to get out and start socializing with all my old Scape friends and meet new Scapers in my area.

Mark Scott

wriggz August 24th, 2022 02:26 PM

Re: Sad announcement about my life

I'm so sorry. Not even close, but my dad died of terminal mental illness (this is how I prefer to think of suicide) in Nov of 2019. I find recontextulizing it as mental illness has made it easier to understand it is not about blaming myself or my father but the disease itself.

Having this community has been an untold support, as has the large collection of Lego that has taken over my closet. I hope you keep finding that way to move forward.

My heart goes out to you, and I salute your bravery at sharing your history publicly. That bravery will help us shine a light on mental illness so others can heal.

Tornado August 24th, 2022 02:50 PM

Condolences. Not sure I can say it any better than wriggz.

Tiamat August 24th, 2022 03:08 PM

So sorry to hear this news. Lost my nephew to the same mental illness last year. Can't imagine what it's like to go through it as a Dad. I think I speak for the whole community when I say that our hearts go out to you. Hopefully you can find some comfort in this great community and in some good times ahead playing Scape with friends.

Dad_Scaper August 24th, 2022 05:36 PM

Oh my god. I remember you talking about him. I am just devastated for you, old friend. I am familiar with that kind of struggle from my own family, and I have felt the powerlessness. More than once. I'm so sorry.

It turns out that we just can't control all the things we thought we'd be able to control.

Sherman Davies August 24th, 2022 05:56 PM

My sympathies to everyone here who's had to struggle with depression and other mental illnesses. I'm familiar with the pain, both personally and through friends and family, and I know how difficult it can be both for those going through it and the ones around them. I think wriggz put it best when he said thinking of it much like we think of physical diseases does help us to grapple with it.

xraine69 August 24th, 2022 06:44 PM

Thank you all

Taeblewalker August 24th, 2022 08:44 PM

My condolences. I echo @Sherman Davies . I deal with mental illness every day myself and it's not fun. The best we can do is try to see the good things in life and hold on to that.

Elven Lord August 26th, 2022 12:47 PM

I'm so sorry about your son Xraine. I've had the brush with the impulse to take my own life a few times. It's been a rough couple of years. So, I sort of understand what he went through. Thankfully, it was only a brush, and scared me enough to get help.

Let's all say a prayer for people suffering from severe anxiety and, I don't know, maybe we can all think of one person in our lives, a friend, a family member, someone from work who we know is feeling down a lot and reach out, not to try and fix them, but just to let them know someone's there for them, and cares.

AMIS August 27th, 2022 07:18 AM

My sincerest condolences.

randum October 10th, 2022 01:52 PM

Wow, this is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry you lost your son and still feel the pain everyday. I have very little experience with this, but when I was young my cousin was around your son's age when she took her own life and it was horrible for all the extended family.

BasketBasket October 12th, 2022 09:02 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you are doing as well as can be expected, given the circumstances. God bless you.