Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   AotP Blender (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   SIEGE's AotP Converted Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=54643)

SIEGE February 4th, 2018 05:50 PM

SIEGE's AotP Converted Customs

Background

My friend introduced me to Arena of the Planeswalkers back when it first came out. I dismissed it initially because I felt the production quality was inferior to Heroscape, and I felt the game was not as fun as Heroscape. However, I came across the game and its two expansions on discount for $5 each, and realized that it would be silly not to pick up a copy. At $15 total, the game is definitely worth it. It’s a steal really.

I also figured that at I could use the tiles and cardboard for extra terrain, and I could easily make custom Heroscape units using the figures. Plus, the game also rekindled my interest in Heroscape which is a good thing!

I started looking around on Heroscapers again and found that there is an interest in having the AotP units converted into Heroscape units. I also wanted Heroscape compatible versions of these units, so I made custom cards for all of them. Now I share them with all of you.

There are also rulebooks included in the Downloads section that convert the contents from the AotP rulebooks (the glyphs, cryptoliths, scenarios, etc.).

Army Cards

Spoiler Alert!

Downloads

Additional Rules

Spoiler Alert!

Design Principles

I have included the design principles I followed when making these cards. If you are curious why a unit is the way it is, you can probably find the answer here.

Spoiler Alert!

Change Log

Spoiler Alert!

Credits

Spoiler Alert!

brycedespyce February 8th, 2018 01:28 PM

Re: SIEGE's AotP Converted Customs

This is awesome, thank you for the hard work.

BrittyKitty February 15th, 2018 03:35 PM

These are amazing!! I'm going to test them out this weekend with my friends! Love it!

Thank you!

SIEGE February 21st, 2018 07:39 PM

@brycedespyce and @BrittyKitty , you are both most welcome, and I am glad you like them. I am curious to hear how your play testing went since I did not play test them and opted to keep them at the same point values (except for -200 points on the planeswalkers). They seemed priced reasonably for Heroscape despite being made for a different (but very similar) game.

AMIS February 24th, 2018 08:11 AM

These are well done and I will start testing these out when I can...might be a while.
The only thing I disagree with is the more than 1 life for a squad, to me adding simple things like the Goblin's climb x2 and changing them from Unique to Common negates the extra life point used for AOTP.
But the cards are great!

gatormustang March 9th, 2018 08:32 AM

Just caught up on this thread. Great stuff appreciate the time you put in to converting AoTP to Heroscape. I plan on play testing these over the next couple of weeks to see how well they work with the official units. C3G did some great work on spell cards for C3G units with the "Magical Defense" special power. Once I play test your converted cards I would like to try and incorporate the AoTP spells in to something balanced for the Planes Walkers like what C3G has done.

TREX March 9th, 2018 01:53 PM

Great looking cards. With the price drop on the planeswalkers I assume the spell cards wont get used? I like the route you went with generals you chose to convert them to. I kind of like having squads with more than 1 life each with them being unique. Good job.

PeasantDave March 9th, 2018 03:03 PM

This is how I always thought the AotP cards would work best. Thanks for putting in the effort!

itsbuzzi March 9th, 2018 03:58 PM

These look great! I would love to see them get officially playtested somewhere. There are tons of posts here about converting and this looks like the most well done!

gatormustang March 17th, 2018 06:19 PM

I have been play testing SIEGE's converted cards over the past week and a half. Great cards and I feel as a whole they work great with classic heroscape. One key thing that is unbalanced is the fact that the AoTP squads have more than 1 life. For me I like having squads with more than 1 life, but unfortunately its not balanced when playing with official squads that only have 1 life. Below are my additional comments about some of the cards.

Necro-Alchemist: "It Works" special power is way overpowered. It has the potential of having an attack value of 10 using all three "Charge Markers" and having height advantage. My suggestion would be to word it as follows: "It Works - Before taking a turn with Necro-Alchemist, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from this card. If you do add 2 attack dice to Necro-Alchemist's attack.

Sorin Markov: "Vampiric Thirst" suggest changing to "Each time Sorin Markov destroys a figure, you may remove 2 wound markers from this Army Card. Sorin Markov cannot use Vampiric Thirst on destructible objects, Soulborgs, or Constructs."

Goblin Javelineers: "Volatile Hedron Javelins" suggest changing to "After moving and before attacking you choose a Goblin Javelineer you control and an opponent's figure within 6 clear sight spaces of the chosen Goblin Javelineer. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-3, the Goblin Javlineer receives 1 wound. If you roll a 4-15, the opponent's figure receives 1 wound. If you roll a 16 or higher, the opponent's figure receives 2 wounds." It just does not make sense that this would only affect small and medium opponent's figures.

Avacynian Inquisitors: This one is simple there is a word missing. Add "that" in between "control" and "does" on their "In Avacyn's Name" special power.

Nahiri: "Pass Through Stone" special power suggest removing "small or medium". Once again it does not make sense that only small or medium figures are affected by this special power.

Arlinn Kord: "Archmages' Assault" special power suggest removing "small or medium". Same reasoning as before.

Mad Prophet: "Insistent Ravings" simply need to change "When attack a Hero figure" to "When attacking a Hero figure".

Blighted Reavers: "Necrotic Stench" suggest the following "All figures that are not Undead, Soulborgs, or Constructs within 2 clear sight spaces of any Blighted Reaver subtracts 2 from their defense.

Eldrazi Ruiner: "Lash of Tentacles" suggest removing small or medium for the same reasoning as before.

Truly enjoyed these card conversions and plan on trying to make a balanced way of adding the spell cards from the AoTP game. Love the added influx of both Valkrill and Aquilla cards. Think you SIEGE nailed the alignments of the cards to the various generals.

itsbuzzi March 18th, 2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatormustang (Post 2185182)
I have been play testing SIEGE's converted cards over the past week and a half. Great cards and I feel as a whole they work great with classic heroscape. One key thing that is unbalanced is the fact that the AoTP squads have more than 1 life. For me I like having squads with more than 1 life, but unfortunately its not balanced when playing with official squads that only have 1 life. Below are my additional comments about some of the cards.

Necro-Alchemist: "It Works" special power is way overpowered. It has the potential of having an attack value of 10 using all three "Charge Markers" and having height advantage. My suggestion would be to word it as follows: "It Works - Before taking a turn with Necro-Alchemist, you may remove 1 Charge Marker from this card. If you do add 2 attack dice to Necro-Alchemist's attack.

Sorin Markov: "Vampiric Thirst" suggest changing to "Each time Sorin Markov destroys a figure, you may remove 2 wound markers from this Army Card. Sorin Markov cannot use Vampiric Thirst on destructible objects, Soulborgs, or Constructs."

Goblin Javelineers: "Volatile Hedron Javelins" suggest changing to "After moving and before attacking you choose a Goblin Javelineer you control and an opponent's figure within 6 clear sight spaces of the chosen Goblin Javelineer. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-3, the Goblin Javlineer receives 1 wound. If you roll a 4-15, the opponent's figure receives 1 wound. If you roll a 16 or higher, the opponent's figure receives 2 wounds." It just does not make sense that this would only affect small and medium opponent's figures.

Avacynian Inquisitors: This one is simple there is a word missing. Add "that" in between "control" and "does" on their "In Avacyn's Name" special power.

Nahiri: "Pass Through Stone" special power suggest removing "small or medium". Once again it does not make sense that only small or medium figures are affected by this special power.

Arlinn Kord: "Archmages' Assault" special power suggest removing "small or medium". Same reasoning as before.

Mad Prophet: "Insistent Ravings" simply need to change "When attack a Hero figure" to "When attacking a Hero figure".

Blighted Reavers: "Necrotic Stench" suggest the following "All figures that are not Undead, Soulborgs, or Constructs within 2 clear sight spaces of any Blighted Reaver subtracts 2 from their defense.

Eldrazi Ruiner: "Lash of Tentacles" suggest removing small or medium for the same reasoning as before.

Truly enjoyed these card conversions and plan on trying to make a balanced way of adding the spell cards from the AoTP game. Love the added influx of both Valkrill and Aquilla cards. Think you SIEGE nailed the alignments of the cards to the various generals.

I plan on getting at least the core set hopefully all of them and testing these with these abilities. I agree with the squads having 2 life but how else would lifelink work?

I have not playtested any but I do recommend changing haste so that if they are to attack first they gain disengage. Otherwise they lose any advantage they gain by being able to attack first (and you did not destroy the figure)

gatormustang March 18th, 2018 03:31 PM

Great point on "Lifelink" and once again I truly like having more than 1 life for squads anyway. I always felt with the classic Heroscape squads during a match you would lose out on some of the abilities of squads due to their one life. Fantastic idea on "Haste" with disengage. I am going to play test those figures with "Haste" adding in that they don't take leaving engagement attacks.