Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Custom Units & Army Cards (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Boot Camp of Valhalla: Kobolds of Idona Keep (Reworking) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=49730)

johnny139 January 2nd, 2014 07:25 PM

Boot Camp of Valhalla: Kobolds of Idona Keep (Reworking)

(If you don't understand what's happening, please read THIS thread to familiarize yourself with the Boot Camp of Valhalla process!)

So, our design is now set! Introducing the Kobolds of Idona Keep!

Quote:

KOBOLDS OF IDONA KEEP

GENERAL: Jandar
SPECIES: Kobold
UNIQUENESS: Common Squad
CLASS: Sentinels
PERSONALITY: Loyal
SIZE/HEIGHT: Small 2

LIFE: 1 (3 figures)
MOVE: 6
RANGE: 1
ATTACK: 2
DEFENSE: 2

WARRIOR DEVOTION
At the start of the game, choose a Unique Warrior Hero you control to be the Kobolds of Idona Keep's Master. While their chosen Master is in play, when taking a turn with the Kobolds of Idona Keep, you may move and attack with 1 additional Kobold for each Wound Marker on their Master's Army Card. You can choose only one Master for all the Kobolds of Idona Keep you control. Kobolds of Idona Keep cannot attack their Master.

AVENGE THE MASTER
A Kobold of Idona Keep rolls 2 additional attack dice while its chosen Master is destroyed.

SCALE
When moving up or down levels of terrain, Kobolds of Idona Keep may add 2 to their height.
Anyone interested in contributing to our figuring of the design, but please try to refrain from suggesting major changes unless you've been testing the unit and feel they are warranted. The best way to contribute would probably be to submit a C3V PLAYTEST FORM, but less substantial tests are also welcome, and any two cents from informal games can be just as helpful.

PLAYTESTS
VERSION 1 (Mob Attack, 50 Points)
- Maklar the Silver Prince
- Arch-vile
- Viegon
VERSION 2 (Flanking, 45 Points)
- flameslayer93
- flameslayer93
- betawolf36
VERSION 3 (Avenge the Master, 45 Points)
- Lyrgard
- Ixe
- flameslayer93

BONUS BIO CONTEST!
While playtesting is going on, I'm also going to be collecting bios! Once we're in "final editing" I'll run a blind vote of all submissions and we'll see which gets the nod as official bio. Send me a PM - deadline is whenever we're done with this, so the sooner the better!

Design/Brainstorming information:
Spoiler Alert!

Original submission post:
Spoiler Alert!

johnny139 January 2nd, 2014 07:26 PM

Re: Boot Camp of Valhalla: Reaper Kobolds (Design/Brainstorm

I think our first order of business is to clear away the most obvious things - are we doing Kobolds or using the figures for some other sort of unit? Then, and this will be a bit tough and require someone who owns the units, how tall are they, and which "help climbing things" power should we give them?

caps January 2nd, 2014 07:32 PM

They also look like they could be wolf pups.

--

I'm a fan of Scale in places where there isn't precedent for using Climb instead. Heroscape has no kobolds, so I see no direct precedent, but they are similar to Goblins, which I believe use Scale.

Arch-vile January 2nd, 2014 07:33 PM

Here is a comparison pic from ZBeeblebrox (I don't think he will mind me sharing this). These miniatures look like Small 2/3.

johnny139 January 2nd, 2014 07:41 PM

Small 2 looks like the ticket to me (since even the one standing up straight is smaller than the Goblin Cutter). Thanks. :up:

Viegon January 2nd, 2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny139 (Post 1899628)
I think our first order of business is to clear away the most obvious things - are we doing Kobolds or using the figures for some other sort of unit? Then, and this will be a bit tough and require someone who owns the units, how tall are they, and which "help climbing things" power should we give them?

Personally, I prefer going with a completely new species here, a 'Scape original species. :)

I think going with something new will leave the options for the unit open, letting the community's imagination drive it instead of pre-established concepts.

I also agree with Small 2, and right now I'm leaning towards Climb X2/3.

Just my :2cents:.

Taeblewalker January 2nd, 2014 07:54 PM

I suggest using Kobolds as the species and trying to work in their trap-making ability.

Son of Arathorn January 2nd, 2014 07:55 PM

I agree with Viegon's sentiments regarding the species of the unit, and favor Climb X3 as a power.

johnny139 January 2nd, 2014 07:59 PM

I'd rather stick with Kobolds - but I'd be in favor of trying out new, different approaches to their flavor. It's not like Heroscape has ever been tied down to any sort of canon (before D&D at least).

caps January 2nd, 2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny139 (Post 1899645)
I'd rather stick with Kobolds - but I'd be in favor of trying out new, different approaches to their flavor. It's not like Heroscape has ever been tied down to any sort of canon (before D&D at least).

So, Kobolds, but Heroscape Kobolds. Probably from Feylund.

Taeblewalker January 2nd, 2014 08:03 PM

In D&D Kobolds sometimes use rats as guardians. Perhaps we can get some Deathreaver synergy in there. Small Soulborgs would fit the Kobold theme of being good with things mechanical.

caps January 2nd, 2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1899647)
In D&D Kobolds sometimes use rats as guardians. Perhaps we can get some Deathreaver synergy in there. Small Soulborgs would fit the Kobold theme of being good with things mechanical.

We shouldn't add any synergy to the game's most broken common squad :lol: