Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of C3G Destructible Object Rules (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=55039)

Ronin February 26th, 2019 08:22 PM

Re: Draftable Vehicles Discussion Thread (Public Testing)

Special powers, by default, don't work for figures off the battlefield. Lot of conversation about it earlier in the thread.

Tornado February 26th, 2019 08:27 PM

Well, that negates my F4 test. That was a fun waste of time.
So Lady Blackhawk can use her power but no one else can?
Do any powers work?
This should probably be a FAQ in the Sports Car.

Ronin February 26th, 2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2258253)
Well, that negates my F4 test. That was a fun waste of time.
So Lady Blackhawk can use her power but no one else can?
Do any powers work?
This should probably be a FAQ in the Sports Car.

I think fun and clarity of rules were my big points of concern for another test. Clearly we've got some issues to work out on the latter.

Powers specifically meant to work in vehicles still work in vehicles, and anything meant to work off the battlefield works in a vehicle. Basically the same as special powers for destroyed figures - by default, they don't work, but sometimes they do.

Tornado February 26th, 2019 08:40 PM

That should absolutely be a FAQ in the VDO rules Book.

That certainly makes the Sports Car less valuable. I doubt I would ever draft one as-is. I am not sure they are worth even 100.

Yodaking February 26th, 2019 08:59 PM

Weather Wizard is a pretty solid addition to any army with several bells and whistles, a car is just a car. Maybe they should only be 25 point add-ons to an army that don't do much other than provide some added mobility on a large map without road tiles. Save the higher point VDO's for vehicles of war like Tanks and Helicopters.

IAmBatman February 26th, 2019 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2258256)
That should absolutely be a FAQ in the VDO rules Book.

That certainly makes the Sports Car less valuable. I doubt I would ever draft one as-is. I am not sure they are worth even 100.

This is my concern. I'm not sure VDOs work without figures being able to use their powers inside them. And I'm not sure that thematically it makes sense that they shouldn't, or mechanically it's necessary.

If a power requires clear sight or measurement from a figure? Sure, negate it. But something like Mister Fantastic's leadership power doesn't. So why shouldn't he be able to use it from a car? Why shouldn't his figure mechanically be considered on the battlefield, just not in clear sight of any other figures?

Ronin February 27th, 2019 12:29 AM

Special powers in cars means you have to make cars paper thin or very hazardous to occupants or super expensive. Otherwise we run into the 'cars are fancy mech suits for figures like Joker' issue.

I'd be fine with cheaper cars, but I think that would require a more thorough rework of the vehicle rules. Would love to see someone else take point on this and try to make that work. I've lost some enthusiasm for this over the last six months, and there's been enough negative feedback that I don't feel the idea is viable in its current form.

IAmBatman February 27th, 2019 08:33 AM

Sadly I'm in the same place with it. If we let special powers work inside the vehicle, we end up with competitive/defensive pod concerns. If we don't, we end up with draftability concerns where people only take them if the special powers on the vehicles really make them worth it, and for one special power vehicles, it seems unlikely.

But maybe the current direction, with special powers disallowed inside the vehicle, can still be worth it if we just go fairly cheap with them? I don't really think what they offer outside of a "mech suit" is really worth that much in price.

Tornado February 27th, 2019 08:42 AM

I for one am more excited about VDOs, DOs and Buildings.
I had a ton of fun with the Car and the Porta-Toilet.

I think we could explore both directions. Is there anything else to keep in mind if I run them the right way? Is there a good build to try?
Points? 50?

IAmBatman February 27th, 2019 08:59 AM

I found they were a bit more useful for squads. For the most part I didn't find it rewarding to take a Unique Hero basically out of the game so they could drive around a car for a 50/50 auto wounding chance. But cheap squaddies trying to hurt Superman? For sure!

Sure, try it at 50 and see if it feels overpowered or not. If not, maybe it's a path to cheap cars. Then there's hope for a sub 200 point Batmobile down the line.

Tornado February 27th, 2019 10:41 AM

OK. Sounds good.

IAmBatman February 27th, 2019 12:16 PM

Thanks for staying the course! (or should I say, taking the wheel!).