Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

mac122 April 1st, 2012 04:35 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fi Skirata (Post 1586790)
I just realized that there would be an official 'immortal' in the form of Thanos. how should things be handled with that? Also, what if they are other immortals made later, (from other series's or from C3V) how will this affect things? MY thought is to change it to this:

THE QUICKENING
When Duncan MacLeod destroys a figure with the Immortal 11 ability or who's species is Immortal, take permanent control of that figure's army card and any army card that opponent gained control of with The Quickening ability. Duncan MacLeod may use any ability on any army card that you gained control of with The Quickening ability.

I think if we leave it only affecting figures with the Immortal 11 ability, it will be cleaner. We won't have to worry about Thanos or any other future figure designed by another group. It will only be Duncan, anyone who gets a source marker and any future characters we might create from the Highlander universe.

I'm thinking the points would be less than 180. The Source is a double-edged sword, no pun intended. It gives Duncan a card to take over but also puts at least one figure in the battle that can take him out of the game permanently. I'm thinking more around 130-150.

SirGalahad April 1st, 2012 06:13 PM

Agreed. No reason to muddy up the text. Leave it to just those with that special power and it's good.

JC McMinis April 2nd, 2012 12:26 AM

Yes lets not make this more complicated than possible. The source can only affect humans. As far as points go I think mac is on the right track I say we go 140, Im a happy middle kind of guy.

machinekng April 2nd, 2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1586937)
Yes lets not make this more complicated than possible. The source can only affect humans. As far as points go I think mac is on the right track I say we go 140, Im a happy middle kind of guy.

Meh.

I still think that Duncan is just as powerful, if not more so, than Drake 2.0.

JC McMinis April 2nd, 2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1586939)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1586937)

Meh.

I still think that Duncan is just as powerful, if not more so, than Drake 2.0.

Well I will have to go check out his card here on the sight and give that some thought.

mac122 April 2nd, 2012 09:24 AM

http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/...C8874634D9.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...CANMACLEOD.jpg
Drake has more Life, is faster, more mobile, immune from normal ranged attacks, higher attack, and has a ranged special. MacLeod can return to the battlefield, has more defense, and, if he destroys the right figure, can use other specials. I think overall Drake is more versatile in most games while MacLeod is more versatile in the right situation.

I had another thought about The Source. What if we separated it from the card and made it into a glyph? It would add some randomness to the game and allow for more "Immortals" to duke it out.

GLYPH OF THE SOURCE
For each Unique Hero on the battlefield (yours and your opponents'), roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an X-20, for the remainder of the game, that Unique Hero gains the Immortal 11 and The Quickening special powers.

If we did separate it, perhaps Duncan could gain Double Attack or some sort of Katana special to better represent his fighting skill.

SirGalahad April 2nd, 2012 10:40 AM

So you'd have a large number of Equipment Glyphs and cards available in case every Unique (still should be Human) Hero got one?

mac122 April 2nd, 2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1587059)
So you'd have a large number of Equipment Glyphs and cards available in case every Unique (still should be Human) Hero got one?

Not sure I understand what you mean. You would need to have several Source markers, probably spray painted wound markers, in case the d20 was hot. You might want a reference card or an extra copy of MacLeod's card for each opponent in the game to show them the wording for The Quickening and Immortal 11. The Source would be a temporary glyph on the battlefield. When a figure steps on it, you roll for each Unique Hero.

mac122 April 2nd, 2012 01:06 PM

Here's what I had in mind for the glyph card.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...FTHESOURCE.jpg
Keep in mind, the artwork is temporary and I'd have to create the glyph label.

Separating The Source from Duncan's card would clear up some issues in my mind about Duncan's abilities. With The Source on Duncan's card, it makes it look like he is in control of The Source which is not very thematic. It would also clear space on his card to allow for some other special attack or ability that would help his card be more thematic than it would be just with Immortal and Quickening - a Katana SA or something. Also, with The Source being a glyph, it could be used in games without requiring Duncan to be in anyone's army - effectively expanding the Highlander universe in our little corner of Heroscape.

Taeblewalker April 2nd, 2012 04:41 PM

The Source glyph actually is a nice concept. Perhaps this design could be primarily a glyph design, and specific characters, like Duncan, can come later.

JC McMinis April 2nd, 2012 04:59 PM

I like the glyph idea as well. I think with Duncan we are close to done with stats and most of his abilities. Perhaps replace the source with either the defending the weak ability I posted before or Counterstrike. And then flesh out the glyph.

mac122 April 2nd, 2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1587303)
I like the glyph idea as well. I think with Duncan we are close to done with stats and most of his abilities. Perhaps replace the source with either the defending the weak ability I posted before or Counterstrike. And then flesh out the glyph.

Yes, let's finish Duncan MacLeod and then work on the glyph. Any Highlander character we create will need to have Immortal and Quickening on their card to stay true to the theme. The Source can add uncertainty that, IIRC, was part of the series. An Immortal didn't know ahead of time who else would be an Immortal. They didn't know another Immortal was around until they were relatively close.

For Duncan, I could see Counter Strike or a double attack fitting quite nicely.