Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   TV (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Game of Thrones (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=55342)

Richard December 6th, 2018 12:36 PM

Game of Thrones

It's a phenomenon. A hit medieval fantast series on HBO adapted from George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. Anyone into it? Favorite characters? Stories? Surprises?

SPOILERS!!!!

CAN YOU DIG IT!?

I mean
Winter is Coming.

outforblood December 6th, 2018 12:44 PM

Re: Game of Thrones

I still haven't seen it. I have you to blame! (Since you own it and I don't) Lol

chas December 14th, 2018 05:34 PM

I love it, and have all of the DVD sets out. My boardgamegeek handle is Jon Snow. The last set out has an animated summary of the "Prequel" conquest of Westeros by the dragon lords. Its narrated for each House by an actor from the TV series who played a character of that house!

I also have all the books so far and have read them, although I did so only after the TV series came out. I didn't have HBO, so I went into a local bookstore and got the first few out then, saying to the bookseller "Well, the book are always better than the TV anyhow." But she surprisingly replied back then "Actually, the TV series is pretty good." And she was right.

I read the short novel A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, but wasn't crazy about it. The main characters are just too dumb for me.

I just finished Fire and Blood, a much longer retelling of that and the later era--706 pages, and its just Volume One of Two! I enjoyed it, even though its a chronicle rather than a novelistic treatment. Well, after he's gone, someone else may novelise that period. We'll be lucky if he finished the next two novels of the main GOT series.

I now have ordered The World of Ice and Fire. I got it from Amazon.com at half price ($30 instead of $60, although I did pay shipping) after failing at the local discount bookstore, who had just sold their last copy. I read some of it online, and it outlined the earlier periods of he First Men, the Andals, and so on. Interestingly they dragon lords of fire wiped out another people that were water wizards, which explains why the world went out of balance and no one could stop the dragons, I guess (I haven't read it all yet). Now this is the only aspect I've read about that is not mentioned at all in the books or TV series (so far), and yet seems to me very important for the development of the world of Westeros and etc. So I'd love to discuss this aspect most of all, after I get the book next week.

TREX December 14th, 2018 06:31 PM

I really enjoyed it, cant wait to see how it ends. @chas , im surprised you havent got into the wargame of game of thrones with its miniatures by CMON seeing how you are a big fan of wargames and the series. I almost backed iton kickstarter but had already too much money tied up in kickstarter at the time.

chas December 15th, 2018 04:05 AM

Well, I have the old Game of Thrones (FFG) but have only gotten it to the table a couple of times. I also have Battles of Westeros (FFG) with all of its expansions, which I've played a lot. The new minis game does look fun, but you can't buy them all, and its a game that will also require the purchase of expansions.

For a great version of GOT in Heroscape, see the thread in my signature line for a great multi faction scenario by Kolakoski.

(Edit) Announcement from IMDB: 2020 will see the start of a spin off series set 10,000 years before GOT!

Yodaking December 15th, 2018 02:03 PM

I had read the books before the TV show came along, and the since the show came out I've re-read the books now a couple of times. The show is different in some areas, which is quite understandable as the book world and story arcs have a great deal of sprawl. I really like some of the changes, like the Hound vs. Brienne fight, but in other areas it's clear some of the TV writers don't understand the source material. I wouldn't count on too many things that have happened in the show since they passed the books to actually occur in the books outside of the obvious foreshadowing stuff like who John's parents are. I think GRRM is actually waiting for the show to end now so he can see how those writers decided to end the show and what the critical and fan response is before finally deciding how he will end it. A few key plot points are fairly set in stone for him (like who will sit the Iron Throne at the end), but lots of the smaller details on how he's going to get there are still very fluid.

As for the new spin-off show, it was wisely decided to go to an era where not much has been written and those few things that have been mentioned are considered inaccurate bits of gossip more than anything. That way the show writers are free to do pretty much whatever they want without fact checking anything.

chas December 16th, 2018 08:01 AM

I thought George had a pretty close relationship to the production, and was guiding the writers to some degree. Is this not so?

Yodaking December 16th, 2018 03:35 PM

His involvement has fluctuated over the seasons. He wrote an episode or two in each of the first few seasons but then people were getting on him about not working on the next book and he said he's step back from the show to focus on the next book, which of course didn't change anything as he just spent that time working on things other than the next book. He's got another show coming out, Nightfliers or something like that, he's edited I don't know how many other books now as well as wrote the Egg short stories.

He doesn't know for certain himself where exactly every book story line is going, he had a rough outline at one point but the story had spread and changed a great deal as new ideas come to him. As such he can only tell the HBO guys so much as he doesn't know what exactly is going to happen himself anymore. Plus the HBO show has just cut out and changed a lot of plot points. For instance, they never dealt with the Lady Stone Heart story line at all and I'm sure she was brought back for some reason in the book. The Dorne story line is all twisted up (not that I really care about them myself), the Sand Snakes did not betray and kill their leader. In the books he sends them all off on secret missions and they are no longer in Dorne, while he is very much still alive with their loyalty intact. When we last saw Sansa she in line to marry Harry the Heir, and Littlefinger was going to have Robin murdered after that marriage, in order to give her the armies of the Vale. Sending her off to marry Ramsey was one of the pretty terrible changes the show made. In the book Ramsey marries a fake Arya, who is actually Sansa's childhood friend, but since Arya is off becoming an assassin and no one has seen her in years they just tell everyone the other girl is Arya. The Golden Company is not brought into play by Cersei, they are being led by a fake dragon boy and are another problem for Cersei to deal with as they want to overthrow her. They actually arrive before Danny, not after, so no surprise army is going to arrive to help turn the tide against the dead.

Lots of changes, I enjoy both versions of the story though for what they are. GRRM also wants the book readers to have a reason to buy the books, so I can guarantee he doesn't want all his surprises to be spoiled by the show and is holding certain things back on purpose. They've revealed that John Snow is actually a Dragon, which was pretty obvious in the book foreshadowing, but the Dragon has 3 heads and so their is still a 3rd Dragon that needs to be revealed and it's not the fake Dragon boy who is leading the Golden Company. Danny is warned about the fake dragon at one point in the book and he's the fake one, which is why the HBO guys just skipped over his story completely. It doesn't look the like the TV show will be revealing who the actual 3rd Dragon is, as they killed off one of the dragons and don't need 3 Dragon riders to wrap up their story.

chas December 16th, 2018 05:33 PM

Aha; interesting, and thanks for the info! Since I came into it all very late as noted above, I'm not as impatient for him to write as older fans, and consider anything he does in a different format as an outline for others to novelize in the future.