Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Official Rules & FAQ's (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Most disappointing rule in Heroscape? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53399)

ekoxe1 September 24th, 2016 03:04 PM

Most disappointing rule in Heroscape?

For me it's undoubtedly the fact that a Deathreaver on a single extra hex has "height advantage" in attack against Jotun. Every time I see something similar I have the urge to house rule that height advantage means exactly what it says and do an actual physical check of the top of each figure using their height + terrain height.

TheAverageFan September 24th, 2016 04:39 PM

Re: Most disappointing rule in Heroscape?

I don't know if it's a rule but I never liked how it technically wasn't the marker that Negated people with Morsbane. It makes things complicated for Customs dealing with Special Markers.

~TAF

Dr.Goomonkey September 24th, 2016 08:20 PM

Mine's pretty similar to yours, @ekoxe1 . I've never liked that figures can't move up a ledge equal to their height, I'm pretty sure I could climb up a six foot wall, and I'm not one of the greatest warriors in all of time and space.

MementoMori September 24th, 2016 08:32 PM

For me is the "jumping" figures, although true flying home rules are too cumbersome.

AznScape September 24th, 2016 08:54 PM

I think it's strange how melee figures, on height, get a bonus. Didn't Mythbusters bust the Stars Wars "high ground" advantage?

Black_Charos September 24th, 2016 09:40 PM

Heroscape would be significantly less tactically satisfying without that mechanic, whether it would translate into a "real world" advantage or not.

japes September 24th, 2016 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Charos (Post 2111982)
Heroscape would be significantly less tactically satisfying without that mechanic, whether it would translate into a "real world" advantage or not.

Agree with you here. Although in C3G it's kind of funny when Wolverine standing on the sidewalk gets height advantage on a 20 high Sentinel standing on the road so I guess I agree with the OP for the most disappointing rule. But the Flying Hopping thing is kind of up there too.

William099 September 25th, 2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AznScape (Post 2111974)
I think it's strange how melee figures, on height, get a bonus. Didn't Mythbusters bust the Stars Wars "high ground" advantage?

No they confirmed it.

Lazy Orang September 25th, 2016 12:08 PM

The lack of any form of cover mechanic - I shouldn't be just as likely to shoot that Arrow Grut dead if all I can see is his hand as I would be if his entire body were visible to me. I know it isn't a rule but rather the absence of one, but it always bothered me.

Another absence that gets me as someone who's been into ancient military history from childhood is WHY CAN'T MY GODDAMN ROMANS CHUCK THEIR BLASTED PILLA? It's an iconic part of Roman military tactics, you can see two of the figures holding them, but do they get any mechanical representation? No!

Xorlof September 25th, 2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy Orang (Post 2112029)
The lack of any form of cover mechanic - I shouldn't be just as likely to shoot that Arrow Grut dead if all I can see is his hand as I would be if his entire body were visible to me. I know it isn't a rule but rather the absence of one, but it always bothered me.

I go the other way on this one. I always considered it a gutsy part of the design that they chose NOT to include one in order simply and streamline. No doubt it was considered, but I like the elegance of "you can see them so you can shoot at them. Period."

japes September 25th, 2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xorlof (Post 2112031)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy Orang (Post 2112029)

I go the other way on this one. I always considered it a gutsy part of the design that they chose NOT to include one in order simply and streamline. No doubt it was considered, but I like the elegance of "you can see them so you can shoot at them. Period."

Yeah, Besides when its a hero you are just inflicting a wound it makes sense there....You get shot in the hand...you lose part of your life.

MementoMori September 25th, 2016 06:02 PM

I always interpret rounds as a few minutes long. So that hand that you see now, just represents a hole in your cover that can point anywhere, as both units will move for the minutes that a round takes.

I like the lack of cover too. Although they made it up to a point with bridges and battlements.