Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Confred June 6th, 2017 02:57 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Traditionally, before coming up with powers, we first describe the character. By doing so, unexpected and interesting powers may manifest

I also like to think of what role they would play and what role they had in the movie.

I'll watch the videos either now on lunch or before Friday

Edit: thanks for videos btw

First one down
Seems valiant
Accuracy vs multiple shots
Rescue
Maybe wants to escape, but helps out anyway

McHotcakes June 6th, 2017 07:50 PM

Ok so I finally got around to watching those videos. From the looks of it his powers should definitely reflect his accuracy and speed with a bow.

Name: William Garin

General: ? (Uh not sure. Plot synopsis says he's a mercenary and I view Vydar as the mercenary general, but uh, I'll leave that to someone who has actually seen the movie)

Species: Human
Figure Type: Unique Hero
Class: Archer? Mercenary?
Personality: ? Again not really sure. I didn't get a good gauge from the clips.
Size: Medium 5

Life: 4
Move: 5
Range: 7-8? I know Syvarris has range 9, but in lore he has an enchanted bow that shoots incredibly far, so 7-8 for a standard bow should be alright.
Attack: 2?
Defense: 3?

I think Double shot is a good power.

DOUBLE SHOT
When William attacks a figure that is not adjacent , he may attack one additional time.

Another power I came up with for some of my own customs that I think might work.

Perfect Aim (Could always change the name)
When William attacks a non-adjacent figure, you may add 1 automatic skull to whatever is rolled.

I think that's a decent starting point. What do you guys think?

Zetsubo June 6th, 2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 2152060)
Ok so I finally got around to watching those videos. From the looks of it his powers should definitely reflect his accuracy and speed with a bow.

Name: William Garin

General: ? (Uh not sure. Plot synopsis says he's a mercenary and I view Vydar as the mercenary general, but uh, I'll leave that to someone who has actually seen the movie)

Species: Human
Figure Type: Unique Hero
Class: Archer? Mercenary?
Personality: ? Again not really sure. I didn't get a good gauge from the clips.
Size: Medium 5

Life: 4
Move: 5
Range: 7-8? I know Syvarris has range 9, but in lore he has an enchanted bow that shoots incredibly far, so 7-8 for a standard bow should be alright.
Attack: 2?
Defense: 3?

I think Double shot is a good power.

DOUBLE SHOT
When William attacks a figure that is not adjacent , he may attack one additional time.

Another power I came up with for some of my own customs that I think might work.

Perfect Aim (Could always change the name)
When William attacks a non-adjacent figure, you may add 1 automatic skull to whatever is rolled.

I think that's a decent starting point. What do you guys think?

Looks good as a base. I'd say mercenary for his class as it stated several times in the movie. For personality, maybe valient, precise, confident, or even bold.

Later in the film he uses an exploding arrow. Would that be a power we want him to have? Maybe like a one time use by marker or a "once per game" line?

Edit:
The problem I have with Jandar being his general is when his back story is discussed, they mention he is a liar, murderer, thief, etc... and I'm not sure he would fit well with a goody two shoes General and his army.

Confred June 6th, 2017 08:29 PM

Based on video one,
~
When attacking a nonadjacent enemy figure that is adjacent to at least one friendly figure, ~may roll one additional attack die. If you roll at least one skull, the friendly figure may move up to four spaces.~

After ~destroys an enemy figure, if no enemy figures are adjacent to any friendly figures, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, remove ~from the battlefield.

Based on video two:
definitely a precision-themed multi-attack

Video three:
More of same - heroics and deadly accuracy, utilizes baits, taunts, and lures (can be pushed off on his companion figure)
The exploding arrows seem like scenario specific. he fires more than one I believe.
It could be used, but I think it may distract.

He may be Aquilla or Ullar, but to me, he is significantly weighted into Jandar - which is good because Jandar could use some archers.

Confred June 7th, 2017 07:22 AM

When attacking a nonadjacent figure, choose - roll 2 additional attack dice; or attack the figure additional time.

Before attacking, may reveal and remove x order marker. Target figure rolls 2 fewer defense dice this turn.

Not only is he deadly accurate, but also he deploys tricks to setup targets

Video three shows him abandoning the wall, but having a power that references battlements could be cute.

Barry allen June 7th, 2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2152108)
When attacking a nonadjacent figure, choose - roll 2 additional attack dice; or attack the figure additional time.

Before attacking, may reveal and remove x order marker. Target figure rolls 2 fewer defense dice this turn.

Not only is he deadly accurate, but also he deploys tricks to setup targets

Video three shows him abandoning the wall, but having a power that references battlements could be cute.

I'm sold on this ability. The question is what it would be called? I'm also thinking jandar. Zetsubo brings up some good points on generals, but he did stray away from those paths and become a true hero. Good work so far every one. I also think that the exploding arrow would be a bit to complicated.

Another thing I was thinking about last night was that maybe he should have an attack that pertains to his triple arrow trick shot thing he does with the bowl. It could make for a fun mechanic.

McHotcakes June 7th, 2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry allen (Post 2152144)
I'm also thinking jandar. Zetsubo brings up some good points on generals, but he did stray away from those paths and become a true hero.

If we do go with Jandar I say we change his class from mercenary to archer. Jandar seems too moral to recruit a mercenary for his army.

Quote:

Another thing I was thinking about last night was that maybe he should have an attack that pertains to his triple arrow trick shot thing he does with the bowl. It could make for a fun mechanic.
How about

Triple Arrow Shot Special Attack?
Range 7. Attack 1.
If William did not move this turn he may use Triple Arrow Shot Special Attack. Choose a nonadjacent figure to attack. That figure cannot roll defense dice against this attack. If William wounds the figure he may immediately attack that figure again with his Triple Arrow Shot. William may continue attacking with his Triple Arrow Shot until the figure is destroyed, or until he has attacked that figure 3 times this turn.

Confred June 7th, 2017 02:50 PM

~engagement strike vs nearby enemies that move up or down five or more levels of elevation in a single move~

Barry allen June 7th, 2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 2152151)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry allen (Post 2152144)
I'm also thinking jandar. Zetsubo brings up some good points on generals, but he did stray away from those paths and become a true hero.

If we do go with Jandar I say we change his class from mercenary to archer. Jandar seems too moral to recruit a mercenary for his army.

Quote:

How about

Triple Arrow Shot Special Attack?
Range 7. Attack 1.
If William did not move this turn he may use Triple Arrow Shot Special Attack. Choose a nonadjacent figure to attack. That figure cannot roll defense dice against this attack. If William wounds the figure he may immediately attack that figure again with his Triple Arrow Shot. William may continue attacking with his Triple Arrow Shot until the figure is destroyed, or until he has attacked that figure 3 times this turn.

It seems like it would work well. I would agree on the change to archer. Does jandar even have any archers yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2152173)
~engagement strike vs nearby enemies that move up or down five or more levels of elevation in a single move~

:confused: Elaborate please?

Confred June 8th, 2017 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry allen (Post 2152197)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2152173)

:confused: Elaborate please?

Sorry, I abbreviated too much in that brainstorming.
~
Playing off the idea of defending a wall:
If an opponent's figure within 5 spaces of ~ moves up or down 5 or more elevations in a single move, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, the opponent's figure receives one wound.
~
If an opponent's figure within 4 spaces of ~ moves up or down 4 or more elevations in a single move, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, the opponent's figure receives one wound.

He could also simply have Rapid Fire Special Attack, although having his multiple attacks be 'normal' could be a subtle nod to attacking from a wall by being able to utilize extreme height advantage.

I'm thinking three powers:
1) attack prowess
2) bravery/heroics/trickiness/rescue/defense through offense
3) mercenary/plot related - he seems to either be there against his will or otherwise for some temporary reason

Confred June 8th, 2017 09:03 PM

When attacking nonadjacent figures, count all skulls rolled twice. After attacking a nonadjacent figure, ~ may attack two additional times.

Zetsubo June 9th, 2017 01:27 AM

What if we give him a multi shot for normal attack and a precision shot special attack that would be twice as powerful?

William Garin

(Human, Unique Hero, Archer, Precise (?), medium 5)
Life 4
Move 5
Range 7
Attack 2
Defense 3

Multi shot
When William attacks a non adjacent figure with a normal attack, he may attack two additional non adjacent figures.

Precision shot SA
Range 6-7? attack 3
When attacking with precision shot SA, all skulls rolled count for an additional hit.