Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Steppenwolf (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=59063)

IAmBatman May 10th, 2021 10:13 AM

The Book of Steppenwolf

The Book of Steppenwolf

C3G DC SSE 89
DARKSEID'S ELITE

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...wolf_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...nwolf_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from DC Superman Wonder Woman set.
Its model number and name are #058/Steppenwolf

Character Bio – Maternal uncle of Darkseid and member of Darkseid’s Elite, Steppenwolf is a brutal warrior and general of Apokolips known for leading invasion forces of Parademons. His favorite weapon, an electro axe, is used to spread energy that infects enemy combatants and turns them into Parademons to serve his cause.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • Steppenwolf may move Common Parademons with his Apokoliptan Troop Movement special power, and resurrect them with his Escalating Invasion Force special power.
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:
  • N/A

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Re: The Book of Steppenwolf - Breathing

NAME = STEPPENWOLF

SPECIES = NEW GOD
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = INVADER
PERSONALITY = DISCIPLINED
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 6
MOVE = 8
RANGE = 3
ATTACK = 7
DEFENSE = 6
POINTS = 440

APOKOLIPTIAN TROOP MOVEMENT

Instead of moving normally with Steppenwolf, you may move up to 6 Common Parademon figures you control. Then, if Steppenwolf is engaged, for each Parademon you control, you may choose an enemy figure adjacent to that Parademon and roll an unblockable attack die against it.

BATTLE HARDENED
If there is at least 1 Wound Marker on this card, the most wounds Steppenwolf can receive from an attack is one.

ESCALATING INVASION FORCE
After Steppenwolf receives one or more wounds from an enemy figure, even if he is destroyed, you may immediately roll X combat dice, where X is equal to the number of Wound Markers on this card. For each skull rolled, place a previously destroyed Common Parademon figure in your army on an empty space in your Start Zone.

SUPER STRENGTH

Mini Picture
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...3/IMG_0497.jpg

Comic Picture
https://i2.wp.com/geeksofcolor.co/wp...jbzmtt2bj.jpeg
https://abload.de/img/earth2-1-zone-014efsi7.jpg
Background
https://www.greenpeace.org/static/pl...-gp0stuqt8.jpg

tcglkn May 10th, 2021 10:29 AM

I think you want that first power to be instead of moving normally so it doesn’t happen out of turn.

Also the number for Super Leap should be the height not distance. If you want 8 spaces you should use Sensational Leap from She-Hulk

Arch-vile May 10th, 2021 11:00 AM

Electro-Axe is pretty cool. Neat mechanics.

Any class you could reuse instead of creating Elite?

IAmBatman May 10th, 2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcglkn (Post 2463552)
I think you want that first power to be instead of moving normally so it doesn’t happen out of turn.

Also the number for Super Leap should be the height not distance. If you want 8 spaces you should use Sensational Leap from She-Hulk

Good catches. :up: I'll definitely update to moving normally after breathing.

I'll probably just go for the 10 spaces on the leap to stick with Super Leap, as Sensational Leap isn't a good name for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch-vile (Post 2463553)
Electro-Axe is pretty cool. Neat mechanics.

Any class you could reuse instead of creating Elite?

I mean, probably, but it'd muddy the water a lot on synergies. Antagonist or Tormentor both seem like they'd work thematically, but have a lot of mechanical baggage, obviously.

I was planning some Elite-specific synergies between Steppenwolf, Desaad, and Kalibak, with Desaad in particiular.

If folks really want an established class, though, I guess I'd lean Antagonist?

Arch-vile May 10th, 2021 01:37 PM

If you’ve got Elite synergy planned, then that works great. :up: I just try to be conscious of when we create new classes since we did the whole class reshuffling thing.

tcglkn May 10th, 2021 01:45 PM

Fine either way on the Super vs Sensational Leap thing but we just need to use the correct name since we changed She-Hulk for this exact reason. Sensational is a fine word to use anywhere though, it's not She-Hulk exclusive. :up:

IAmBatman May 10th, 2021 01:45 PM

Yeah, Sensational just seems a bit "upbeat" for the character, though.

IAmBatman May 10th, 2021 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch-vile (Post 2463581)
If you’ve got Elite synergy planned, then that works great. :up: I just try to be conscious of when we create new classes since we did the whole class reshuffling thing.

Oh, definitely. I don't hate the idea of just going Antagonist on them, it just seems like it might be worth keeping Apokolips its own thing.

Soundwarp SG-1 May 10th, 2021 11:20 PM

Seems kinda weird that he has a special power for the totally normal looking axe that's barely even in the comic art and not the crazy glowing sword thing. :lol:

On the class stuff, Darksied's boyos seem like Enforcers to me. Or Invaders.

IAmBatman May 10th, 2021 11:45 PM

Yeah, I need to research on the sword. All I found reading up on him was about the axe.

japes May 10th, 2021 11:47 PM

I need to get this in before @Tornado beats me to it.

This guy seems like he was Born to be Wild.
I'm going to follow along as this should be a Magic Carpet Ride.

japes May 10th, 2021 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 (Post 2463691)
Seems kinda weird that he has a special power for the totally normal looking axe that's barely even in the comic art and not the crazy glowing sword thing. :lol:

On the class stuff, Darksied's boyos seem like Enforcers to me. Or Invaders.

Both those classes work I think. Invaders feels fitting.

Tornado May 11th, 2021 06:46 AM

Dang, you did beat me to it. :)

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 10:16 AM

I could see doing Invaders. That's what the Parademons are, after all.

Karat May 11th, 2021 11:51 AM

I dig Invader.

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 02:47 PM

Updated to Super Leap 50 with correct wording, updated to Invader, added another comic picture that's more axe-centric, since that really does seem to be his main weapon in the comics (it featured in the Justice League move and there's Internet chatter comparing it to Stormbreaker).

I couldn't find anything on the sword unless that's supposed to be his Cable Snare? Odd. So just going to stick with the Axe approach.

Also updated the bonding power to moving normally. I'll run checklists here later (hopefully tonight) and then get up a proposal, but if there are any other thoughts/concerns in the meantime, please bring them on. :-)

Arch-vile May 11th, 2021 02:55 PM

pre-yea

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 06:58 PM

I propose we move to initial playtesting.

COMPETITIVE REVIEW BOARD CHECKLIST
Spoiler Alert!

CONSISTENCY CHECKLIST (SHORT FORM)
Spoiler Alert!

Arkham May 11th, 2021 07:10 PM

Re: The Book of Steppenwolf - VOTE for Initial Playtesting

Were you wanting healing or something with these guys for Darkseid II?

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 07:23 PM

Hmm, what if instead we just gave a benefit to the wound? Not really loving how both of his first powers key on not moving (so if I want to move him I can't do anything that turn? Good job, Bats. :-P).

So how about this?

Quote:

ELECTRO-AXE SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 6.
After rolling dice for the Electro-Axe Special Attack, you may remove up to X dice you rolled, where X = the number of wounds on this card. If every remaining die is a skull, the defending figure immediately receives one unblockable hit before rolling defense dice.
So basically if he fails Darkseid he takes on wounds and as he takes on wounds he gets more vicious and competent.

Arkham May 11th, 2021 07:45 PM

I'm not sure that feels like a very useful/fun power. I like the idea of tying something to wounds on his card as a benefit though.

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 08:06 PM

It was a way to increase the chances of the auto-wound hitting at least. :shrug: I'm open to suggestions.

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 08:30 PM

Here's a bit on the Axe from the DC Wiki:

Quote:

The Electro Axe emits a yellow-hued energy that, when struck against a surface, disperses and spreads continuously. The energy is seen capable of infecting human soldiers, turning their skin into a rough, pale grey tone, while lengthening and sharpening their teeth, seemingly transforming them into the Parademon soldiers of Apokolips.
So how about something like this?

Quote:

ELECTRO AXE INFECTION
Instead of attacking with Steppenwolf, you may choose any enemy figures within X spaces of him where X = the number of Wound Markers on this card. One at a time, roll an unblockable attack die against each chosen figure. After destroying a figure with this special power, you may immediately place a Common Parademon in your army on the space that figure occupied.

Arkham May 11th, 2021 08:35 PM

I was thinking of an idea fwiw, not just leaving ya hanging, sorry for not making that clear as I know some just express disliking then offer nothing, whereas I try to always offer suggestions, just didn't have them ready in mind yet, and I knew you were moving on atm.

I think it'd be neat to do something stronger with it, personally. As-is, you're doing a weaker attack, that can't be boosted, all for a chance at 1 auto-wound being tacked on.

Maybe something that lets you do an unblockable per wound on his card, or adding to the attack per wound on his card. I'd just think something that makes him a reasonable amount scarier per wound, would be ideal, to really make the pairing worth it.

Also could see something like:
Quote:

BATTLE HARDENED
If there is at least 1 Wound Marker on this card, the most wounds Conan can receive from an attack is one.
Quote:

ELECTRO AXE INFECTION
Instead of attacking with Steppenwolf, you may choose any enemy figures within X spaces of him where X = the number of Wound Markers on this card. One at a time, roll an unblockable attack die against each chosen figure. After destroying a figure with this special power, you may immediately place a Common Parademon in your army on the space that figure occupied.
This definitely seems more interesting and useful to me. I'd probably specify destroyed, just so it can't be used to teleport ones you have still alive.

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 08:37 PM

Yes, I did mean destroyed. :up: And I dig Battle Hardened over Super Leap.

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 08:42 PM

Updated his troop movement power with common language over squad language to be more consistent with Darkseid (II), and updated with the new version of the Electro Axe and Battle Hardened instead of Super Leap.

I'll run the competitive checklist again later since those are fairly big tweaks. Proposal for initial continues, in the meantime.

Arkham May 11th, 2021 08:45 PM

yea

Karat May 11th, 2021 08:55 PM

Honestly, seems a bit odd that he gets to extend the reach of the Axe for each wound he has. Almost seems like it'd be more apt if, instead of increasing the range, he gets to choose an additional figure for each wound.

I'm fine seeing how it plays though Yea

Arkham May 11th, 2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karat (Post 2463884)
Honestly, seems a bit odd that he gets to extend the reach of the Axe for each wound he has. Almost seems like it'd be more apt if, instead of increasing the range, he gets to choose an additional figure for each wound.

I'm fine seeing how it plays though Yea

I think it's the energy that's spready, not the axe.

Quote:

The Electro Axe emits a yellow-hued energy that, when struck against a surface, disperses and spreads continuously. The energy is seen capable of infecting human soldiers, turning their skin into a rough, pale grey tone, while lengthening and sharpening their teeth, seemingly transforming them into the Parademon soldiers of Apokolips.

Karat May 11th, 2021 09:00 PM

Ok, that makes slightly more sense but I'm not sure that theme is coming through so well.

Arkham May 11th, 2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karat (Post 2463889)
Ok, that makes slightly more sense but I'm not sure that theme is coming through so well.

The more he's damaged, the more desperate and ruthless he gets, I'd imagine. So he starts slamming that axe harder against the surface to create even more energy dispersion.

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 09:25 PM

OK, properly updated the title of that power in the SP now. :-P

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 09:27 PM

I'm open to different power titles, though.

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 09:32 PM

Does "Electro Axe Disease Spread" sell it any better?

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 09:53 PM

COMPETITIVE REVIEW BOARD CHECKLIST
Spoiler Alert!

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 09:59 PM

This version seems a bit stronger, so I'm going to try him at 330 instead of 280. Loses the round number block with Darkseid (II), but now Darkseid (II), him, and a set of Parademons is a block of 1,000, which seems good.

One more vote will do it. :-)

Karat May 11th, 2021 10:15 PM

I think it might partly be the mechanics of it actually. I think it would parse better if it took effect after attacking an adjacent figure and he dealt 1 or more wounds.

IAmBatman May 11th, 2021 11:04 PM

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and stop the vote for now and sleep on it. Dude just doesn't have that much comic book presence to go on, but I'm not sure we've settled on something evocative yet.

I do like Battle Hardened and the troop movement power. It's the third power that I want to mull over a bit more.

Karat May 11th, 2021 11:21 PM

Re: The Book of Steppenwolf - Design Phase

I totally get that and I think you're about 2/3 of the way there. Had to do that with the Colonel too.

Soundwarp SG-1 May 11th, 2021 11:25 PM

Just nu52 Steppenwolf (which I guess this is going for?) has 39 appearances according to DC wiki. That's not enough for you? Some of us are working with single digit appearances you know :razz:

IAmBatman May 12th, 2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 (Post 2463923)
Just nu52 Steppenwolf (which I guess this is going for?) has 39 appearances according to DC wiki. That's not enough for you? Some of us are working with single digit appearances you know :razz:

Seems like most of those are the Earth 2 (or wherever) version of him that kills Superman and Wonder Woman. The Earth-Prime version doesn't have much by comparison.

I have an idea I'll post in a bit, though.

LordVenoc May 12th, 2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2463934)
Quote:

Seems like most of those are the Earth 2 (or wherever) version of him that kills Superman and Wonder Woman. The Earth-Prime version doesn't have much by comparison.

My understanding is that the New Gods aren't multiversal. So Earth 2 Steppenwolf is Steppenwolf that happened to show up on Earth 2. Just like Darkseid that attacked Earth Prime is the same one that basically took down and invaded Earth 2.

Also fairly certain the mini you're using is based on the Earth 2 look anyway :p

IAmBatman May 12th, 2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordVenoc (Post 2463941)
Quote:

Quote:

My understanding is that the New Gods aren't multiversal. So Earth 2 Steppenwolf is Steppenwolf that happened to show up on Earth 2. Just like Darkseid that attacked Earth Prime is the same one that basically took down and invaded Earth 2.

Also fairly certain the mini you're using is based on the Earth 2 look anyway :p

It's the only mini for Steppenwolf available. :-P I'd prefer to do Earth-Prime, though.

IAmBatman May 12th, 2021 10:47 AM

OK, here's what I'm thinking for changes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2463547)
NAME = STEPPENWOLF

SPECIES = NEW GOD
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = INVADER
PERSONALITY = DISCIPLINED
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 6
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 3
ATTACK = 7
DEFENSE = 6
POINTS = 330

APOKOLIPTIAN TROOP MOVEMENT

Instead of moving normally with Steppenwolf, you may move up to 6 Common Parademon figures you control, then attack with up to 2 Common Parademon figures you control.

ESCALATING INVASION FORCE
After Steppenwolf receives one or more wounds from an enemy figure, you may immediately roll a number of combat dice equal to the number of Wound Markers on this card. For each skull rolled this way, you may place a previously destroyed Common Parademon figure in your Army on an empty space in your Start Zone.

BATTLE HARDENED
If there is at least 1 Wound Marker on this card, the most wounds Steppenwolf can receive from an attack is one.

SUPER STRENGTH

OK, I made him a tad faster to compensate for removing Super Leap, gave him a range of 3 because apparently he's a lethal axe thrower, then cut out any weapon references because clearly I don't really understand how his weapons work in a way that communicates clearly. Instead, I decided to go all-in on his general abilities and give the theme that as he takes more damage from the puny inhabitants of wherever he's invading, he starts to take them more seriously and calls for more and more reinforcements. This soft synergizes with Darkseid (II) without being totally abusable by him.

I think I still want to try him at 330 with this version.

LordVenoc May 12th, 2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2463942)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordVenoc (Post 2463941)
Quote:

Quote:

It's the only mini for Steppenwolf available. :-P I'd prefer to do Earth-Prime, though.

Did you ignore the paragraph of stating Steppenwolf is Steppenwolf, no qualifiers required?

IAmBatman May 12th, 2021 12:08 PM

So then the Earth 2 look is the same Steppenwolf as the Earth-Prime Steppenwolf?