Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HeroScape General Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Questioning myself. (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=34021)

Tmac2200 December 17th, 2010 09:54 PM

Questioning myself.

Well, I hope I'm not hated for this but I am trying D&D. This seems like an unloyal thing to do with so many people boycotting WotC products. But I have thought about ti and I already have quite a few D&D figs from D&Dscape. But my question is, is this wrong? Like would this be turning my back on Heroscape?

Majora's Incarnation December 17th, 2010 10:02 PM

Re: Questioning myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmac2200 (Post 1295124)
Well, I hope I'm not hated for this but I am trying D&D. This seems like an unloyal thing to do with so many people boycotting WotC products. But I have thought about ti and I already have quite a few D&D figs from D&Dscape. But my question is, is this wrong? Like would this be turning my back on Heroscape?

I wouldn't see this as a problem, most people in this community are turning away from WotC products because of what they did to our game. It's a matter of personal opinion, and I wouldn't be afraid to say that Dungeons and Dragons is a brilliant concept, a masterpiece 30 years in the making. Design team member Rob Daviau even said he based some Heroscape characters off of the concepts of D&D (i.e. Zelrig). Before I was enthralled by Heroscape I was a big D&D player; I had two characters, a Drow Ranger and a Drakan Warrior (a custom race of dragon/elf blood mix.) As long as you don't forget Heroscape, I would venture to say you have my permission to embark on the journeys to the Forgotten Realms. ;)

Hogg December 17th, 2010 10:12 PM

Try 2nd edition. Its not as dumbed down as the newer versions and you don't need figures to play it, just pen and paper. I've heard really good things about the Pathfinder system too, you should check it out.

Also, buying older used stuff will keep money out of WotC's pockets.

SIEGE December 17th, 2010 10:25 PM

I think it is ok. I was actually in the process of learning to play D&D before WotC canceled Heroscape. However, after the news, I decided to learn to play other tabletop RPGs like Microlite20 or Labyrinth Lord. Actually, if WotC had not canceled Heroscape I probably would have played D&D, but just because I'm not going to doesn't mean you can't.

robbdaman December 17th, 2010 10:34 PM

I say go for it but don't buy in to the 4th ed crapola. Stick with earlier editions, 3.5 is great and the Pathfinder stuff is solid. That is sort of not giving in to WotC as much because Paizo has that now. Personally I prefer a lot of other RPG tabletops over D&D. There are several more out there that are better IMO. D&D was just one of the first. Try, GURPS, HERO System, Rolemaster (if you can find it), Palladium, etc. D&D may not even be as much fun as something else. Trust me I've played over 40 different systems in my years of playing, some of my favorites were obscure ones. One of my faves is Earthdawn, great system and so much fun to play.

winonavampire December 17th, 2010 11:02 PM

I would strongly suggest White Wolf "World of Darkness" roleplaying system. Their Vampire genre is my all time favorite roleplaying system.

The setting is a mixture gothic, the 1989 Batman city, Interview with a Vampire/Lestat.

However, I own just about every D&D 3.5 book, and I am not gonna stop playing due to WotC's mismanagement of Heroscape. D&D 3.5 is ALOT of fun. Building a character in that game is alot like building a Magic deck or a Heroscape Army.

Chardar December 17th, 2010 11:07 PM

I've been thinking the same thing about Castle Ravenloft. It's still just a game. There's no reason to stop yourself from playing something that you enjoy because of who makes it. It's still a game, and games are supposed to be fun, not moral battles with yourself.

CheddarLimbo December 17th, 2010 11:07 PM

I would suggest buying the source books used from Half Priced Books, or a similar place.

Kaiser Cat December 18th, 2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogg (Post 1295137)
Try 2nd edition. Its not as dumbed down as the newer versions and you don't need figures to play it, just pen and paper. I've heard really good things about the Pathfinder system too, you should check it out.

2cd edition has the Tarrasque. (Spelling?)

'Nuff said.

Majora's Incarnation December 18th, 2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat (Post 1295249)
Quote:

'Nuff said.

NO ONE wants to find a Tarrasque. (Pray your dungeon master has a heart)

winonavampire December 18th, 2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat (Post 1295249)
Quote:

'Nuff said.

3.x has a Tarrasque as well. He is in the main monster manual.

Mnygaard December 18th, 2010 06:23 AM

Nobody mentioned the best RPG out there: Savage Worlds.
It was more or less Savage Worlds that got me into Heroscape since it runs miniature battles extremely well. Unlike most RPGs, using minies in Savage Worlds actually make things move quicker.

Check out the free test drive here: http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf

Or, alternatively you could invest the $10 it will cost you to get the core rules http://www.studio2publishing.com/sho...oducts_id=2364

And it has the added advantage of being completely non-WOTC :)