Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Fan Art & Fiction (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   HEHart: Sketch for Gabbi pg. 50 (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=154)

Hex_Enduction_Hour May 12th, 2006 03:41 AM

HEHart: Sketch for Gabbi pg. 50

Bzzzt

bluekitsune13 May 12th, 2006 09:06 AM

Dude, that's awesome. Very nice job indeed.

SyvarrisX May 12th, 2006 11:52 AM

Those are nice. I liked the DW9K one the best.

LilNewbie May 12th, 2006 11:57 AM

Great pics, HEH! I really like the Viper/Marro combat scene! :D

Newb.

SyvarrisX May 12th, 2006 12:19 PM

Thats a nice way to represent a glyph...

ultradoug May 12th, 2006 01:18 PM

wow! cool

netherspirit May 12th, 2006 01:57 PM

Very nice stuff HEH.

Runehardt May 12th, 2006 02:40 PM

Great work. I have both issues of Codex printed and in a 3 ring binder. The Drones and Vipers watercolor is my favorite. I know there was a heroscape comic already but you should do a one or two page comic for the Codex in that watercolor style. That would be awesome to see.
Keep creating!

josh-n-papa May 12th, 2006 02:46 PM

I love the way Raelin's aura(represented by the bubble) is protecting the samaurais. :popcorn:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Do more!!Do more!!Do more!!Do more!!Do more!!Do more!!Do more!!

Hex_Enduction_Hour May 12th, 2006 03:15 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback. A few weeks a go I made a point to buy some new brushes and white paint. Can't wait to devote a couple of evenings to some more art.

Fallen Templar May 12th, 2006 11:29 PM

Awesome work H_E_H

Joah May 13th, 2006 12:31 AM

:shock: Ummm, Hex, would you like some more columns?

skyknight May 13th, 2006 08:07 AM

Hly crap those are nice boss, very nice work. I work in oils and have been thinkin about popping something out as well. I am still finishing up a lion king painting for my twin four year olds room righ tnow though. Actually I have been finishing it for two months, but hey :D

dickflea May 13th, 2006 08:22 AM

Sometimes i wish i could draw.....now is one of those moments.

Velenne May 13th, 2006 10:27 AM

Nice work! I love the action and the shadows. My fav is the one with the romans. Great facial expressions in that one as well.

Hex_Enduction_Hour May 13th, 2006 12:32 PM

Thanks guys.

I've done a lot of art for Codex 3. It's not as 'illuminated' as the pieces above. Lot's of shadows, dirt, and grime (orcs with flies over their heads). I like slopping the india ink around. A lot.

and I made a point to do more margin drawings. Just 1 figure pictures.

allskulls May 13th, 2006 04:37 PM

Good stuff, HEH! You inspire me. Maybe I'll do some HS art...I do still need an avatar :)

josh-n-papa May 13th, 2006 06:30 PM

How about teaming up with one of the storywriters around here like Kark or Buddy Lee and putting out an underground comic??

Dragonslayer May 13th, 2006 06:46 PM

Nice, HEH, very cool stuff. Any Dragon drawings in the pipeline?

Hex_Enduction_Hour May 14th, 2006 01:05 PM

J-N-P, Karkadinn has an online non-HS comic fully realized and has enlisted me to draw. I'm gonna try my little heart out to do it this summer.

DS, I've been avoiding drawing dragons, But I should give it a try. Especially with Braxas. She's the coolest. Braxas's pose is real nice too. If you hold her by the mid-section she's curling back like a snake or salammander would in real life.

I love that sculpt!

gibberish_47 May 14th, 2006 01:07 PM

Cool stuff, H_E_H. I'm hoping to see more of your work in the next Codex.

SyvarrisX May 14th, 2006 03:51 PM

Yeah, you should make a comic with someone, that would be cool.

josh-n-papa May 14th, 2006 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
J-N-P, Karkadinn has an online non-HS comic fully realized and has enlisted me to draw. I'm gonna try my little heart out to do it this summer.

I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned,got a link?

I've really only read some of the bios he has done,but he always struck me as having a definite literary talent.

Hex_Enduction_Hour May 14th, 2006 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh-n-papa
Quote:

I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned,got a link?

I've really only read some of the bios he has done,but he always struck me as having a definite literary talent.

Kark's comic is not up yet, JnP. He's got his writing chops for sure. You can really tell he enjoys his craft as you read his work!

InfinityMax May 15th, 2006 04:01 AM

If you liked the stuff on the first page of this thread, the stuff for Codex 3 will floor you. It's awesome.

Jason May 15th, 2006 04:08 AM

Personally I enjoy abstract art. Here is my depiction of the Tagawa vs the Sentinels vs Braxas. (The previously shown pics were pretty incredible although kind of have an Oriental style)

http://upload3.postimage.org/245998/Abstract.jpg

Nwojedi May 15th, 2006 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason
Personally I enjoy abstract art. Here is my depiction of the Tagawa vs the Sentinels vs Braxas. (The previously shown pics were pretty incredible although kind of have an Oriental style)

http://upload3.postimage.org/245998/Abstract.jpg

LOL, hilarious

H_E_H great work. your a good artist. Wish I had the time to do more work. :(

InfinityMax May 15th, 2006 09:23 AM

Hey, are you the same Jason from the HQ? Same name, same guy?

skyknight May 15th, 2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityMax
Hey, are you the same Jason from the HQ? Same name, same guy?

I think so Imax, almost certain, check the tavern if you don't believe it. :?

Joah May 15th, 2006 09:23 PM

Quote:

DS, I've been avoiding drawing dragons, But I should give it a try. Especially with Braxas. She's the coolest. Braxas's pose is real nice too. If you hold her by the mid-section she's curling back like a snake or salammander would in real life.

I love that sculpt!

As I type this I'm avoiding working on my oil pastel project that due tomorrow. It's a natural abstract of, you guessed it, Braxy! Actually just her wings. Back to work!

Hex_Enduction_Hour May 16th, 2006 01:12 AM

I was home today watching the kids and was revising a Krug picture when I had some free time. Well as things went along I thought of Krug taking on Jotun. But then I thought Jotun fighting Minions would be more cool.

So I sketched a few things and went with this:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...minions001.jpg

I liked it. I had to alter the hanging Minon's head to show he was more incapacitated. So I repositioned his head and added another minion

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...llo/detail.jpg

and set to inking the piece. I'm glad I took a picture before starting.

Here is as far as I got with the inking.

I lost it. I wanted the dangling Minion to stand out more from Jotun, but he and the giant get too tangled up in the inking.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...minions007.jpg

Here it is scanned. i was hoping the scanner might work some kind of magic on it. LOL.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...TUNminions.jpg
Let me know what you think? I may revise this one.

SyvarrisX May 16th, 2006 01:19 AM

Those are awesome!

Oprime May 16th, 2006 01:38 AM

Very cool

perhaps another version where Jotun has the minion up over his shoulder as if ready to throw him...

(I know , I know , He cant throw flyers.....)

awsome stuff all around though.

Hex_Enduction_Hour May 16th, 2006 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OPrime
Very cool

perhaps another version where Jotun has the minion up over his shoulder as if ready to throw him...

(I know , I know , He cant throw flyers.....)

awsome stuff all around though.

Thanks guys. I just don't think this picture was meant to be. It doesn't seem very exciting either. I may try another version sometime. Glad you liked what I did so far. Sorry I couldn't bring to completion. :oops:

CornPuff May 16th, 2006 01:59 AM

:shock: Holy crap, all of those those are awesome. DW9k vs Samurai is my fav of the group, but I do like 'em all.

I'm no artist, but maybe color could improve the jotun vs minions? I really like the sketch version. and there is always photoshop...

I did find the sudema pic a little odd though, I had always pictured her as a some sort of mummy siren, but your pic is more HHH (Horrendous Horror Hag). What happened to the sexy slinky exotic undead queen of my dreams??? :cry:

Hex_Enduction_Hour May 16th, 2006 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornPuff
:shock: Holy crap, all of those those are awesome. DW9k vs Samurai is my fav of the group, but I do like 'em all.

I'm no artist, but maybe color could improve the jotun vs minions? I really like the sketch version. and there is always photoshop...

I did find the sudema pic a little odd though, I had always pictured her as a some sort of mummy siren, but your pic is more HHH (Horrendous Horror Hag). What happened to the sexy slinky exotic undead queen of my dreams??? :cry:

I was considering doing it in color. Maybe I'll try watercolors.

Yeah, Sudema is an HHH in HEH's book! :D

Thanks for looking and suggestions cornpuff

ultradoug May 16th, 2006 02:41 AM

why did you say "failed" those look fine.

Hex_Enduction_Hour May 16th, 2006 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultradoug
why did you say "failed" those look fine.

I dunno, it just doesn't spark with me:

1) Jotun seemed bigger in the sketch
2) Jotun and the dangling minion are not so defined from one another.
3) not too exciting.

ultradoug May 16th, 2006 06:40 AM

well i liked it. now draw all the heroscape girls go go now!

skyknight May 16th, 2006 07:48 AM

Again those are really awesome boss!!!

InfinityMax May 16th, 2006 10:55 AM

Hex, the mechanics of the Jotun picture are very solid. The drawing is very nice. But you're right, it lacks emphasis and definition, which is a defining characteristic in a lot of your art.

If you were to redo this drawing, I would move the angle up and to the right, so that we're looking down on Jotun, and the minion is held away from his body. Just a camera change would make it more dynamic, and it would allow you to separate Jotun from the minion. The other minion could still be coming up from behind.

You might do what I do - grab a pad of scratch paper and fiddle around with poses until you find one that makes you say, 'aha! Now that's interesting!' It takes me, on average, four or five practice sketches before I can ever find the pose, angle and detail for any particular drawing.

I still think it is a nice drawing. It's just not as awesome as some of your others; Tornak and the arrows is a fantastic example, or the zettians vs monks. Even your single poses are very dramatic - I love the Microcorp.

Velenne May 16th, 2006 12:34 PM

I agree with you and Imax, Hex. I love the original sketch but the ink took something away. For one, I thought Jotun was scowling in the sketch. In the final version he has a little grin as he admires his ragdoll.

You could do the pose as Imax recommended but have him turning his head to grin at the oncoming minion. Like, "Jotun like play wif silly red bats."

Oogie_Da_Bruce May 16th, 2006 12:39 PM

HEH your artistic skills amaze me!!!

Even what you call a "Failed" work is a masterpiece in my book.

Just that fact that you can criticize such good work, makes you a master!!!

If you have any other "failed" works. Please post those too... Us commoners would still love to see them.

ODB

LilNewbie May 16th, 2006 02:34 PM

Great scene of Jotun and the Minions! HEH, you rock!

Newb.

atmospro May 16th, 2006 02:47 PM

Don't change the pose, not the problem.
The problem is in the inking. Varing the line wieght will go a long way improving this piece. What are you inking with? The background line are to heavy to have the foregoround figure pop out. To correct this ink the background in thinner lighter stokes and go heavy on the figure dangling. The shaded areas on the background need to hatched or washed instead of blacked out. Hatch the areas in the under the minions wings will allow you the create the illusion of depth and roundness in the figure form of Jotun's legs and toro tunic.

Sorry to be so critical but I thought this might help you and others.
It's a nice job that need a little TLC inking.

Atmospro

Hex_Enduction_Hour May 16th, 2006 06:48 PM

Thanks guys. Oogie, I wanted to post this mistake cuz I thought it would be fun to show something in progress and get some feedback and suggestions. And I got both. Thanks again to everybody who chimed in with suggestions or comments.

I will definitely try different poses and alter the inking for Jotun. I was in a hurry as I had 3 kids with me and luckily one was sleeping. So I wasn't as focused as I like to be with the thinking of the inking.
Imax, I do try several poses, but in this instance I went with the 4th sketch that was starting to click. Again, time was a factor with my babysitting duties.

It's funny, at some point, I knew I had lost the definition between Jotun and the Minion. But I went on and the composition never gave me that overall good feeling.

It's times like these that I wish I drew and inked a lot more than I do. I spent the last 4-6 years drawing virtually nothing for my own pleasure. I'd be much more confident and flexible in my abilities.
I like the comic book style as you all can see. If you asked me to draw from real life, it'd come out, just okay.
But I don't mind. I like cartooning style. A lot.

I have a scanner/copier/printer combination, so next time I may copy the pencils and try several inking processes.

Thanks again for all the comments. I'm so eager to accept the challenge and get back to you all. It gives me the incentive, you know?

Runehardt May 16th, 2006 07:13 PM

I love it. We need to make an underground comic!

Hex_Enduction_Hour May 16th, 2006 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runehardt
I love it. We need to make an underground comic!

*drools*

I looooove underground comics.