Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Other Customization & HS Additions (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Additional cover rules? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=62044)

Mrcellophane1978 February 26th, 2023 04:50 AM

Additional cover rules?

Does anyone know if there are any custom rules about cover that are commonly used? It seems a missed opportunity for there to be so many options to use cover but the only impact they have is to protect from being attacked when 100% of the figure is hidden but you can be attacked if a toe is pointing out with full strength.

I was thinking of a new rule "if more than 50‰ of the defending units damagable area is hidden by cover, the defending unit adds 1 to their defence dice."

Or better

"if more than 50‰ of the defending unit is hidden by cover, roll the d20. If a 15 or higher is rolled, add 1 to the defence roll" thoughts? Thanks!

Mrcellophane1978 February 26th, 2023 05:16 AM

Re: Additional cover rules?

Nvm. I found a set of semi official cover rules posted on the forum.

Tornado February 26th, 2023 07:48 AM

Have fun arguing over wether half of a mini is covered.
Sounds like Warhammer.

Sherman Davies February 26th, 2023 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2561299)
Have fun arguing over wether half of a mini is covered.
Sounds like Warhammer.

Agreed. When it comes to cover rules for Heroscape, I've never felt the juice was worth the squeeze. But various ideas for it have always lingered around; to quote Wesley Snipes, "Some mother******* are always trying to ice skate uphill."

IAmBatman February 26th, 2023 10:55 AM

I think there's a way to do it pretty simply. But if you're getting into fractions, yeah, you've not found that way, IMO. :-P

UtahScott February 27th, 2023 12:08 PM

@hextr1p 's Partial Cover Rules are great. Widely used? Don't think so, but they should be. Turns the entire board into Raelin (except for Huge figures)...

lefton4ya February 27th, 2023 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahScott (Post 2561428)
@hextr1p 's Partial Cover Rules are great. Widely used? Don't think so, but they should be. Turns the entire board into Raelin (except for Huge figures)...

Yea probably the best of the rules. However Jungle trees become really OP if Jungle bonus stacks with partial cover. Personally I would just make all destructible objects the same rules as Jungle trees and be done with it.

Sherman Davies February 27th, 2023 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefton4ya (Post 2561460)
Personally I would just make all destructible objects the same rules as Jungle trees and be done with it.

This is the only cover idea I've ever considered adding to my games, but I've never pulled the trigger.

IAmBatman February 27th, 2023 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherman Davies (Post 2561530)
Quote:

Personally I would just make all destructible objects the same rules as Jungle trees and be done with it.

This is the only cover idea I've ever considered adding to my games, but I've never pulled the trigger.

C3G 2.0's approach to partial cover is a similar light touch to this, but a tad more thematic, IMO.

Mrcellophane1978 March 1st, 2023 10:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahScott (Post 2561428)

Yea probably the best of the rules. However Jungle trees become really OP if Jungle bonus stacks with partial cover. Personally I would just make all destructible objects the same rules as Jungle trees and be done with it.

Yes this is the set of rules I found and I am going to try it out. While heroscape is simple, some of the rules e.g. extra defence or attack with height, falling damage are beautifully simple and add hugely over skirmish games which don't have such rules. It seems a shame then to have so much cover, as well as the images on the cards showing hitboxes, and then not have additional rules to reference cover.

It makes a lot of sense that if there is any kind of cover partially obscuring line of sight that is higher than the unit, it should provide a defensive bonus. This really helps melee units which are significantly underpowered a lot of the time when trying to close on mobile ranged units. I think the friendly fire rules are overkill though!