Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Custom Units & Army Cards (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   ScrewDriver's Customs (new: Female Samurai Squad & a falcon) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=40250)

screwDriver March 28th, 2012 10:03 AM

ScrewDriver's Customs (new: Female Samurai Squad & a falcon)

If you can't win them... join 'em. So without further ado here's my customs for everyone to enjoy or scrutinize.

Geisha Samurai - Einar (Unique Female Samurai Squad)
A geisha is no Samurai nor is Samurai a geisha. But then, perhaps a geisha did something that her lord found worthy to make her a Samurai. And maybe a female ronin (a Samurai without a lord) became a geisha to continue living. Anyway, truth is, I got these beautiful figures that were nicely themed. Periodic Japanese women fighters, double-wielding weapons and faces painted white. It would be a shame not to attempt to custom them for Heroscape.

Spoiler Alert!

Ash Falcon - Aquilla (Uncommon Avian Hero)
This unit was inspired by my favorite animal, the Perigrine Falcon. A handsome bird of prey that's known to have the sharpest eyes in the animal kingdom. They got this incredible hunting technique that's made possible by their great eyesight, and it was this technique that earned them the fastest animal in the world. What they do is fly or soar way way up in the sky, much higher than most birds would fly. They look for their prey and once they have spotted a prey, they speed up and fold their wings on their body and take a plunge at the prey. The plunge or dive can sometimes reach 300km/hr. And at the very last seconds, they spread their wings and swipes at their prey with their mighty talons. A hit can knock their prey down to the ground and usually kills it. Then they swoop down to the ground for a meal.

Spoiler Alert!

Joseph the Orphan - Jandar (Fighter)
The scenario of an orphanage inspired me do this guy. I designed Joseph the Orphan on the idea that some orphans had pledge themselves like brothers. And I also liked the idea of playing 2 unique heroes side by side.

Spoiler Alert!

Xantal the Pretender - Utgar (Mimic)
Xantal is the product of my getting inspiration from D&D shape-shifters and mimics, and the Japanese movie, Shinobi: Hearts Under Blade (live action movie of anime, Ninja Scrolls). Instead of changing shapes, I opted for copying abilities and powers... a pretender. Come to think of it, like Rogue from the X-Men.

Spoiler Alert!

Selah the Forest Ranger - Ullar (Ranger)
Selah was inspired by the ranger class of the D&D Role Playing Games. He is designed to be a counter draft figure.

Spoiler Alert!

Mal Sayela the Lich - Valkrill (Lich)
This guy is based on the D&D Lich. Wherein a mage of considerable power wanted to live forever and thus sacrificing his own life to become a lich. And as the story goes, his soul was place in a phylactery (which is any object but usually an ornate jar or vase or urn). In turn, the phylactery was hidden. For it was said that if you kill a lich, it would just resurrect and continue his/her evil doings. To completely stop the lich, one must first destroy this phylactery and then kill the lich.

Spoiler Alert!

2 Heroes for Death Chasers of Thesk - Valkrill (Champion and Archer)
Here's my attempt on making a thematic army built for the D&D orcs. Unlike the orcs from the Classic 'Scape, these guys were bonding with Large Wild Heroes that were an alien, ogres and blue skinned orcs. So here's a couple of Unique Heroes that looked more similar.

Spoiler Alert!

Tomoe Masako - Einar (Unique Female Samurai)
Nothing thematic here just that all the Japanese female warriors of Einar were ninjas. So I just add a "female samurai".
Spoiler Alert!

Hope you guys liked them, I appreciate constructive criticisms. And thanks for looking.

machinekng March 28th, 2012 11:26 AM

Re: Turning Screws On Customs

Pretty good for your first customs.

Zarnak's Rallying Horn doesn't really work, as it creates a bonding chain (Zarnak-DCoT-Large Wild Hero). However, you could change it to a movement bonding ability, which would still be thematic, and wouldn't have such problems.

Otherwise,they look good. Keep up the good work.

JC McMinis March 28th, 2012 12:19 PM

I agree with mk. Perhaps make it like this

Rallying Horn of Thesk
After taking a turn with Zarnak. You may move one orc squad or hero who follows Valkrill 4 spaces.

Otherwise nice work.

screwDriver March 28th, 2012 12:58 PM

@machinekng and jcmcminis, that was a great observation. I completely forgot the repercussion of giving a turn to a unit who had a natural bonding with other units. Great advice. Thanks.

screwDriver June 11th, 2012 02:18 AM

Re: Turning Screws On Customs (added a Lich)

I'd like to know if this guy is balance and playable. Thanks and hope you guys like him.

Mal Sayela the Lich
This guy is based on the D&D Lich. Wherein a mage of considerable power wanted to live forever and thus sacrificing his own life to become a lich. And as the story goes, his soul was place in a phylactery (which is any object but usually an ornate jar or vase or urn). In turn, the phylactery was hidden. For it was said that if you kill a lich, it would just resurrect and continue his/her evil doings. To completely stop the lich, one must first destroy this phylactery and then kill the lich.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...alSayela-1.jpg

Figure used: Lich from Pathfinder Minis, which is a beautiful piece and widely available.

*** NOTE: Please check first post or scroll down for updated version.

Necromancy (renamed to Army of Darkness to avoid confusion with the Skeletons of Annellintia.)
I'm pretty sure most of you knows what that is. But for those who are not familiar, in the simplest way of explaining it, it means a dark magic of summoning or re-animating a dead creature. So Mal Sayela is kind'a like Kurrok for the undead.

Applicable units for this ability are:
Death Knights of Valkrill
Deathstrike Thrall (C3V)
Phantom Knights
Preyblood Thrall (C3V)
Shades of Bleakwoode
Skeletons of Annellintia (C3V)
Zombies of Morindan
No Zombie Hulk (SoV), he's Uncommon Hero and Large.

Death Spell
In the D&D realm and probably other lores, it's one of the spells that evil clerics or liches have in their spell books. I think it makes for a good 20-sided die ability for Mal Sayela. I did consider turning the destroyed Hero into an undead unit, much like Zombies Rise Again ability. But decided it might be too powerful.

Soul In Phylactery
While I got it's roots from the D&D lore, but I have to say that it is in some way a variation of Thanos' Rejected by Death. But given the origin of the ability, it plays a bit differently. For one, you only get one chance to bring back Mal Sayela into the game... that is for every time he is destroyed.

The card above was really my second choice, not exactly as I originally intended him to be. But unfortunately, I lost myself in trying to put my original idea into the card. Plus the fact that the original idea was too role-playing than Heroscaping. But if anyone was interested, this was the original idea...

The player choose a treasure glyph, any object glyph, to represent the phylactery. Place the phylactery on the starting zone, and on top that glyph is the figure of Mal Sayela. The phylactery is immovable but Mal Sayela can be played like any HS figure (except for the Marro Hive). In the course of the battle when Mal Sayela is destroyed, he would automatically be placed on that phylactery on the next round. This is in line with the D&D lore. So, to stop Mal Sayela from "respawning" every time he was destroyed, an opponent needs to control that glyph until Mal Sayela is destroyed. Or control that glyph before Mal Sayela gets to "respawn". That means the person playing Mal Sayela had the option to protect that "phylactery" which is in line with the D&D theme.

caps June 11th, 2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwDriver (Post 1624392)
I'd like to know if this guy is balance and playable. Thanks and hope you guys like him.

Mal Sayela the Lich

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...alSayela-1.jpg

Figure used: Lich from Pathfinder Minis, which is a beautiful piece and widely available.

Necromancy
I'm pretty sure most of you knows what that is. But for those who are not familiar, in the simplest way of explaining it, it means a dark magic of summoning or re-animating a dead creature. So Mal Sayela is kind'a like Kurrok for the undead.

Applicable units for this ability are:
Death Knights of Valkrill
Phantom Knights
Preyblood Thrall (C3V)
Shades of Bleakwoode
Zombies of Morindan
Zombie Hulk (C3V) and
upcoming Skeleton Common Squad from C3V

Death Spell
In the D&D realm and probably other lores, it's one of the spells that evil clerics or liches have in their spell books. I think it makes for a good 20-sided die ability for Mal Sayela. I did consider turning the destroyed Hero into an undead unit, much like Zombies Rise Again ability. But decided it might be too powerful.

Soul In Phylactery
While I got it's roots from the D&D lore, but I have to say that it is in some way a variation of Thanos' Rejected by Death. But given the origin of the ability, it plays a bit differently. For one, you only get one chance to bring back Mal Sayela into the game... that is for every time he is destroyed.

The card above was really my second choice, not exactly as I originally intended him to be. But unfortunately, I lost myself in trying to put my original idea into the card. Plus the fact that the original idea was too role-playing than Heroscaping. But if anyone was interested, this was the original idea...

The player choose a treasure glyph, any object glyph, to represent the phylactery. Place the phylactery on the starting zone, and on top that glyph is the figure of Mal Sayela. The phylactery is immovable but Mal Sayela can be played like any HS figure (except for the Marro Hive). In the course of the battle when Mal Sayela is destroyed, he would automatically be placed on that phylactery on the next round. This is in line with the D&D lore. So, to stop Mal Sayela from "respawning" every time he was destroyed, an opponent needs to control that glyph until Mal Sayela is destroyed. Or control that glyph before Mal Sayela gets to "respawn". That means the person playing Mal Sayela had the option to protect that "phylactery" which is in line with the D&D theme.

That is a very interesting character. It is one of the best takes on a lich lord that I have seen thus far. Very nice. The only modification I might make for the sake of balance might be to raise the required roll for Soul in Phylactery, but at 3 life, and 2 defense that might be alright. You should probably just rename the power "Phylactery." Also, since he can only use Death Spell once per game, I don't see anything wrong with replacing the destroyed hero with a previously destroyed undead common hero or undead common squad figure. The zombie hulk is actually an uncommon hero and would not be affected by Necromancy as you currently have it worded.

The only problem I'm seeing with this figure is that he doesn't bring quite enough to the table offensively. What I mean is that I don't see why I would want to spend an OM on him instead of on my Zombies. Sure, I might try to take out a strong hero with him, but that requires that he be in the right place already. When my zombies have the potential to create up to 3 zombies with good attack rolls, why would I want to take a turn with a guy who has a 25% of giving me one zombie? I suggest either some kind of bonding, or some kind of offensive ability that makes him worth an OM.

Nice work though. +rep

Gurei-Ornery June 11th, 2012 08:38 AM

I would like to see the Lich made more powerful, based on my few encounters back in the day. :) Did you consider combining Death Spell and Necromancy? Something like:

Choose a unique figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Mal. Roll the 20-sided die adding 1 for every wound marker on the chosen figure's card. (I was thinking closer to death, easier to turn?) If you roll a:
1-15 nothing happens
16-19 destroy the chosen figure
20 destroy and immediately replace the chosen figure with ..... (you know the rest)

I wouldn't limit it to once per game. Maybe once per round, but I don't know. Obviously this would up his points, but I don't think it would be that bad.

Also, with a 2 defense, life of 3, and only a %30 chance to rise, this version will mostly likely go down quickly and stay down. I think playtesting will show one of them will need to get better. My memory stinks, but weren't they immune to normal attack or something? With his current stats, being immune to normal attacks would at least keep squads from taking him down in one turn.

screwDriver June 11th, 2012 08:51 AM

Thanks capsocrates for the props and pointing out the Zombie Hulk was Uncommon Hero. And I just realized also that the Zombie Hulk was a Large figure. So I would just simply edit him out of the list instead of adding Uncommon Hero into the card. Makes it easier.

As for the Zombie issue, I was actually looking at the broader possibility of providing a channel to replenish the other undead squads. Without making him the most important figure. I mean, when Kurrock goes down in my game, I'm pretty much toast with the elementals left.

I was initially playing with giving him a 4/5 Attack, I mean he was a powerful mage but was hesitant that I might be under costing him.

I like your idea, Gurei-Ornery, it shouldn't be hard to incorporate that.
1-15 nothing happens
20 destroy and immediately replace the chosen figure with ..... (you know the rest)

I did run into a bit of a problem with size, I'd like to know if it's a big deal that when Death Spell managed to take down a Large or Huge Hero, will replacing it with a Small/Medium undead be acceptable?

But now I got some opinions, I can easily make him better or more balance. Hope to get more opinions.

ZBeeblebrox June 11th, 2012 12:04 PM

Nice job on the lich, I definatley want to see what people think once the Skeletons of Annellintia have been released.

caps June 11th, 2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwDriver (Post 1624433)
Thanks capsocrates for the props and pointing out the Zombie Hulk was Uncommon Hero. And I just realized also that the Zombie Hulk was a Large figure. So I would just simply edit him out of the list instead of adding Uncommon Hero into the card. Makes it easier.

As for the Zombie issue, I was actually looking at the broader possibility of providing a channel to replenish the other undead squads. Without making him the most important figure. I mean, when Kurrock goes down in my game, I'm pretty much toast with the elementals left.

I was initially playing with giving him a 4/5 Attack, I mean he was a powerful mage but was hesitant that I might be under costing him.

1-15 nothing happens

I did run into a bit of a problem with size, I'd like to know if it's a big deal that when Death Spell managed to take down a Large or Huge Hero, will replacing it with a Small/Medium undead be acceptable?

But now I got some opinions, I can easily make him better or more balance. Hope to get more opinions.

Why only replace on a 20? That severely reduces the odds of him bringing back an undead from the previous version.

You could specify that it has to be small or medium, or you could add a clause that allows large or huge heroes to be replaced by previously destroyed large or huge undead savage figures. It would be really strong if it could destroy large or huge figures 25% of the time.

Gurei-Ornery June 11th, 2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capsocrates (Post 1624543)
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwDriver (Post 1624433)

1-15 nothing happens

Why only replace on a 20? That severely reduces the odds of him bringing back an undead from the previous version.

I was trying to make it where he would feel comfortable removing the once per game restriction. I would prefer more powerful, bring back Necromancy and change Death Spell to something like either a ranged Chilling Touch:
1-10 nothing
11-17 1 wound
18-20 destroy

or a ranged Stare of Stone:
If the chosen figure is a Squad figure and you roll a 7 or higher, destroy it. If the chosen figure is a Hero figure and you roll a 17 or higher, destroy it.

I think necromancy would be cool if it was:

After destroying a figure, roll the 20-sided die. If the figure destroyed was a common figure and you roll a 15 or higher, replace with a previously destroyed small, medium, or large common figure. If the figure destroyed was a unique figure and you roll a 19 or higher, take control of the figure and that figure's Army card. Remove OMs........
EDIT: For the remainder of this game the figure's species is undead, regardless of what is listed on the card. (You could also change personality and class if you want)

You could try to blend it all into one power, but it would get wordy.

screwDriver June 12th, 2012 11:03 PM

Re: Turning Screws On Customs (update of new Lich)

Here's the update of Mal Sayela with consideration of the comments and suggestions it previously got. With the release of the Skeletons of Annellintia, I had to rename Necromancy to Black Magic to avoid confusions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...alSayelav2.jpg

Army of Darkness (formerly Necromancy, had to rename to avoid confusion with the power of the newly released C3V Skeletons of Annellintia)
It's now a 50% chance of being able to recall a previously destroyed undead. The original was 30% chance. Much like Kurrok the Elementalist.

Death Spell
Chance of being able to destroy any Hero figure was reduced to 10%, it still can destroy Hero irregardless of size and whether unique, common or uncommon. And instead of once per game, it's now once per round. Weaker than the first once, but usable more than one. Added constructs to figures unaffected by this power. The Iron Golem comes to mind.

Soul in Phylactery
Reduced chance of returning to game after being destroyed. It's now a 20% chance.

Statatistics
Life, Attack and Defense all got an +1 increase.

Others:
I'm currently working on designing Death Spell to work like Cyprien's Chilling Touch (as per suggestion of Gurei-Ornery). But for the mean time, let see how this version fares.

Am also looking at a couple of ideas as alternative special powers.

I just saw the new upcoming C3V Uncommon Medium Hero... the Mummies. I'm itching to include the Uncommon into the list for Black Magic (Necromancy).

Hope to get more comments and suggestions.