Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3V and SoV Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   The Book of Zettian Infantry (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=39081)

dok December 28th, 2011 12:38 AM

The Book of Zettian Infantry

The Book of Zettian Infantry

Soldiers of Valhalla

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...v_original.jpg

The printer-friendly .pdf version of this card can be found HERE.
Quote:

UTGAR SOULBORG BONDING
Before taking a turn with Zettian Infantry, you may take a turn with any Soulborg Hero you control who follows Utgar.

CIRCUITRY REPLACEMENT
If a friendly Soulborg Hero who follows Utgar receives one or more wounds from a special power that is not an attack, you may destroy a guard in the Zettian Infantry you control that is adjacent to that Hero to ignore any wounds that Hero just received.

The figures used for this unit are Star Wars miniatures from the Clone Strike, Revenge of the Sith, and Universe releases. The name of the figures is Super Battle Droid. The figure numbers are (Clone Strike) 47 and 48, (Revenge of the Sith) 39 and 40, and (Universe) 10.

-Rulings and Clarifications-

Q. What powers can Circuitry Replacement be used against?
A: It must be a wound inflicted by a special power on a card that is not an "Attack".
The following powers that can inflict a wound on all Utgar Soulborg Heroes are subject to Circuitry Replacement:
  • Arcane Riposte (Sharwin Wildborn)
  • Braced Spear (Cathar Spearmen)
  • Circuitry Overload (Omnicron Repulsors)
  • Commander's Strike (Mogrimm Forgehammer)
  • Counter Strike
  • Dragon Swoop (Sonlen)
  • Dying Swipe (Frost Giant of Morh)
  • Evil Eye Defense (Gurei-Oni)
  • Evil Eye Glare (Bramcephys)
  • Evil Eye Protection (Torin)
  • Ice Spikes (Greater Ice Elemental)
  • Opportunity Strike (Zogross Hardscale)
  • Quick Draw (Garrett Burns)
  • Remote Detonation (Executioner 616)
  • Rupture (Bloodburst Thrall)
  • Searing Intensity (Fire Elemental)
  • Self-Destruct (Deathwalker 7000)
  • Swarm Sting (Xualtiaca Fire Ants)
  • Wounded Rage (Kozil)
Additionally, the following powers that can wound a small or medium sized Utgar Soulborg Hero are subject to Circuitry Replacement:
  • Crushing Grasp (Kozil)
  • Engagement Strike (Arkmer, Nakita Agents)
  • Fledgling Acid Breath (Black Wyrmling)
  • Passing Blow (Arthur of Sherwood)
  • Quivering Palm (Chen Tang)
  • Skewer (Achillean Gladiatrix)
  • Throw 14 (Jotun, Heracles)
  • Trample Stomp (Tor-Kul-Na)
Additionally, for Utgar Soulborg Heroes with more than one life, the following special powers are subject to Circuitry Replacement:
  • Finishing Blow (Tetraites)*,**
  • Healing Word (Kelda the Kyrie Warrior) ***
  • Mortal Strike (Master of the Hunt) **
  • Poison Weapons (Deepwyrm Drow) **
* Only applies to small or medium figures.
** The wounds caused by the normal attack that precedes these powers cannot be negated by Circuitry Replacement. Only the subsequent wounds can be negated.
*** Circuitry replacement applies if Kelda rolls a 1 for Healing Word.

Q. If both a guard in the Zettian Infantry and an adjacent Utgar Soulborg Hero receive wounds simultaneously from Deathwalker 7000's Self-Destruct, can the Zettian Infantry figure use Circuitry Replacement before being removed from the battlefield?
A: No.
If that Zettian Infantry is destroyed, it is removed and cannot use its special power to protect the Hero.

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received:
DEATHWALKER 9000: Range Enhancement
As Soulborg Guards, Zettian Infantry may benefit from Deathwalker 9000’s RANGE ENHANCEMENT bonus.

WARDEN 816: Guard Leadership
As guards, Zettian Infantry may benefit from Warden 816's GUARD LEADERSHIP movement bonus.

TORIN: Evil Eye Protection
As medium figures who follow Utgar, Zettian Infantry may benefit from Torin's EVIL EYE PROTECTION.

EXECUTIONER 616: Remote Detonation
As Soulborgs, Zettian Infantry may be exploded by Executioner 616's REMOTE DETONATION.

DEATHCOMMANDER MARK 3: Marked For Destruction
As Soulborgs who follow Utgar, Zettian Infantry may benefit from Deathcommander Mark 3's MARKED FOR DESTRUCTION.
Synergy Benefits Offered:
UTGAR SOULBORG BONDING / CIRCUITRY REPLACEMENT: Utgar Soulborg Heroes
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Unit Reviews
Power Ranking and Master Index
They're a ranged bonding squad that can find room in the startzone for Deathreavers; that makes up for poor move/range and expensive, brittle heroes. B+

Tornado December 28th, 2011 01:01 AM

Re: The Book of Zettian Infantry

It fees like a long time coming for this most excellent design.
Congratulations on your second (and well deserved) induction. You really have a knack for creating new figures that fill a niche but are never over powered enough to upset the meta-game.
All hail dok, reigning Sultan of SoV.

Son of Arathorn December 28th, 2011 01:17 AM

Question- Is there a basic side of the card? I felt like being nitpicky and finding a flaw in an otherwise sweet unit. Congrats on the 2nd induction, well done!

dok December 28th, 2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn (Post 1535668)
Question- Is there a basic side of the card? I felt like being nitpicky and finding a flaw in an otherwise sweet unit.

No worries, it's a perfectly fair question. Currently, only the C3V figures get a basic side - the SoV figures just have an advanced side.

Son of Arathorn December 28th, 2011 12:31 PM

Ah, I see. Thanks dok!

bamoguy December 28th, 2011 12:43 PM

Awesome! A long needed design for Heroscape! Great work and congratulations Dok!

MegaSilver December 28th, 2011 09:33 PM

The only issue I have with this guys is that they are very recognizable figure from Star Wars. They don't seem to mesh well to me.

Other than that, these powers are :up:.

Dad_Scaper December 28th, 2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1535957)
The only issue I have with this guys is that they are very recognizable figure from Star Wars. They don't seem to mesh well to me.

Other than that, these powers are :up:.

Interesting. I thought I knew the movies - well, all but the last - and I only vaguely recognize them. I wouldn't have remembered if nobody had said anything.

I think some of that will be unavoidable with FanScape projects. Pull it from fiction, some fans will recognize them; pull from D&D, some D&D fans might roll their eyes if it's something iconic and we don't do it justice.

Anyway. Many thanks for the feedback. All persons interested in the SoV are encouraged to kibbitz in the SoV thread, linked in my sig, and we are also looking for folks interested in judging. Again, follow the link in my sig to see how to let us know.

ZBeeblebrox December 28th, 2011 10:23 PM

If you watched the Cartoons, these may be more Iconic to you...but they were rarely seen in the Movies (which most people have seen). In my humble opinion, these are not too iconic and are fine, because they are more from other venues than the movies. Now you will not see me entertain any notion of using regular Battle Droids,Clone Troopers or Stormtroopers...that would be so wrong.

MegaSilver December 28th, 2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox (Post 1535976)
If you watched the Cartoons, these may be more Iconic to you...but they were rarely seen in the Movies (which most people have seen). In my humble opinion, these are not too iconic and are fine, because they are more from other venues than the movies. Now you will not see me entertain any notion of using regular Battle Droids,Clone Troopers or Stormtroopers...that would be so wrong.

I just remember them because of this. It was like: Why were they hardly used again? :lol:

Oh well, I may pick these guys up eventually.

lefton4ya December 29th, 2011 01:25 AM

Nice, another ranged bonding squad besides the arrow gruts! Glad to get these inducted. I will have to update my C3V & SoV PDF compilation to make a common cards on one page, but maybe not until the next C3V wave is released.

dalu December 29th, 2011 12:55 PM

Congrats dok !

Some questions about the list of powers Circuitry Replacement can be used against:

1) I was thinking that Circuitry Overload could be used against:
  • Counter Strike
  • Evil Eye Defense (Gurei-Oni)
  • Evil Eye Protection (Torin)
  • Arcane Riposte (Sharwin Wildborn)
Is there a reason why they aren't in the list ?

2) As you pointed out for Poison Weapons (Deepwyrm Drow), I think that all subsequent wounds inflicted by Mortal Strike (Master of the Hunt) would be subject to Circuitry Replacement.
It's also a special power which modifies an attack, but it's not an attack.
(Of course, the only case to consider for now would be a MotH inflicting 1 wound to Warden and then rolling a skull with Mortal Strike)

3) You have forgotten to check the C3V figures: Opportunity Strike (Zogross) should be added to the list.

Comments:
Circuitry Overload doesn't work against Rail Gun (Zaeus).
Zaeus is a perfect counterdraft against Soulborg Hero(es) + Zettian Infantry: killing a ZI adjacent to DW9000 with Rail Gun could also kill DW9000 !

I will update the book of Kira Jax because Exploit Weakness can be used to negate Circuitry Overload before attacking a Soulborg Hero adjacent to a ZI.