Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Custom Units & Army Cards (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=56039)

kolakoski August 5th, 2019 11:57 AM

Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner

Well met!

Herein are presented my ideas for SoV . . .

kolakoski August 5th, 2019 06:19 PM

Re: Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner

Well met!

K.I.S.S. To myself. So . . .

To begin: An idea for Pathfinder’s Baphomet Cultist. Reach, Stealth Leap, and Whirlwind Assault; Life 4, Move 6, Attack 3, Defense 3. Points? Viability for SoV?

superfrog August 5th, 2019 10:43 PM

Glad you got a customs thread started, kolakoski. I went ahead and moved it to the Custom Units and Army Cards forum.

Astroking112 August 6th, 2019 11:59 AM

Here's a quick picture I found of the Baphomet Cultist online for reference:

https://res.cloudinary.com/csicdn/im...bapcultist.jpg

I can buy Reach for this (or pretty much any other spear wielder), but Whirlwind Assault feels odd to me, especially in tandem with Reach. Looking at the Cathar Spearmen for an example, spears that long should theoretically be unwieldy in extremely close quarters, so it feels like a bit of a stretch to me to say that she gets all the benefits of a long range weapon but can still fight better than most people when they get past her guard.

I would suggest removing Whirlwind Assault, personally, and instead playing on the spear more. Stealth Leap paired with Reach and something like Impale could be interesting (encouraging her to leap a step back to get an extra attack die), although I'm sure that there are more interesting combos out there. I do like the concept of either getting a longer range or multiple melee attacks, but I think that it'd be a hard sell in this case.

kolakoski August 6th, 2019 05:07 PM

Well met!

I here you. A master Chinese martial artist could wide-sweep/twirl his spear to cover Reach, IMHO. Perhaps some long-tailed, Large/Huge figure might work. With this figure, some sort of Deep Impale Special Attack could work:

Deep Impale Special Attack
Range Special, Attack 4
Choose 2 spaces in a straight line from Master Qiang. All figures in those spaces that are in line of sight are affected by Deep Impale Special Attack. Roll Attack dice for all affected figures. Each figure rolls Defense dice separately. When Master Qiang attacks with Deep Impale Special Attack, he may [reveal an X Marker and] attack one additional time.

Kaemonesque. Or like an extremely short range Deathcommander. Now we can add Stealth Leap and, perhaps, some additional sort of [chi or] defensive power.

I’m thinking revealing the X could represent the use of chi and appear in more than one power - and lower the price for the figure in general.

flameslayer93 August 6th, 2019 05:19 PM

I don’t have the figure, but are you sure that figure looks like a chinese martial artist? :p

kolakoski August 6th, 2019 05:48 PM

Well met!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astroking112 (Post 2302188)
Here's a quick picture I found of the Baphomet Cultist online for reference:

https://res.cloudinary.com/csicdn/im...bapcultist.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameslayer93 (Post 2302369)
I don’t have the figure, but are you sure that figure looks like a chinese martial artist? :p

Close enough. Especially the spear.

Astroking112 August 8th, 2019 07:52 PM

I think that Reach serves the spear angle more than a Special Attack here. The added height restriction is important to avoiding some weird theme breaks in my perspective, and adding height restrictions to the Special Attack would add a lot of verbiage.

I personally don't really buy the chinese martial artist angle for this sculpt.

kolakoski August 22nd, 2019 10:03 AM

Well met!

Thanks for the feedback. Apparently the idea of a unit with both Reach and Whirlwind Assault is a nonstarter.

Another idea for which I’d find a sculpt later: a Rogue leader with a power similar to Parmenio’s Disciplined Influence to allow a unit’s Class to be changed to Rogue. Thematically, it makes a lot of sense, but how much it would cost and, especially, if and how to limit it, are open questions.

flameslayer93 August 22nd, 2019 11:42 AM

Turning a Alphallon (Laglor) into a Rogue sounds like an automatic :down: vote for VC purposes.

Maklar the Silver Prince August 22nd, 2019 12:50 PM

I agree that a "Roguish Influence" power would be problematic. Being able to throw already established designs into an already established synergy web seems not right and also pretty tough to make workable: you wouldn't want to give Raelin or Kaemon Awa bonding with the Nottingham Brigands.

I don't think your idea of a unit with both Reach and Whirlwind Assault was a nonstarter! The interactions between the two powers would be very interesting, although it could be a bit boring on a stand-alone hero. Your idea of a martial arts master works: perhaps a beat stick monk hero (although I'm not too familiar with the newest VC monks)? I also thought your briefly mentioned idea of a large/huge monster with a long tail was pretty neat too. Maybe a Clash of the Titans style ancient mythology type monster with a scorpion tail, and a special attack that lets it use a reach attack even when it's engaged.

Astroking112 August 22nd, 2019 03:24 PM

I am fine with a Reach and Whirlwind Assault combo if it makes sense. I just do not think that the proposed sculpt makes sense for Whirlwind Assault, and it'll be difficult to find one that does whilst also justifying Reach.

I actually think that Parmenio's Disciplined Influence is interesting and would've liked to see more uses for it, but I don't like the idea being applied to a Rogue class at all. Like Maklar said, giving Kaemon Awa or other solid standalone characters Rogue Hero Bonding bears a whole host of problems, let alone Raelin or Major Q9. Even if some easy way to exclude all of the problematic characters was implemented, I find the theme of the Venoc Warlord, for example, becoming a rogue to be far less thematic than Parmenio enforcing a new discipline on a unit.