Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HeroScape General Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53361)

EternalThanos86 September 14th, 2016 02:38 PM

Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness (Post 2109708)
While designing, we did playtest them against each other to make them balanced if players wanted to mix the worlds.

Proof! From the designer himself. Those who lack the desire should not force those with the desire to feel sub-human!

Hi Craig,
What was life like on a day-to-day basis working on Heroscape? I have a hard time picturing the every day grind.
~ET86

R˙chean September 14th, 2016 04:55 PM

:-D

Well that was worth the effort to get you to post here for the first time in over 2 years!

MementoMori September 14th, 2016 05:22 PM

Time for a lighthearted silly question:

If you could make a perfect crossover between Heroscape and any other boardgame, what would it be?

Mine would be PandemiaScape (Pandemic + HS) or Assault of Valhalla (Imperial Assault / Descent + HS)

Craig Van Ness September 14th, 2016 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfrog (Post 2109625)
Have you checked out the insane amount of projects we have on this site? From C3V to C3G to HoSS to BoV to SoV to Heroes of Fiction to WoS to Fan Fiction Contests to the Unit Battle Royale to Online Heroscape (now in Season 25), there's a huge body of effort and creativity across this forum.

You've really helped to inspire it all. So thanks.

superfrog
I just started to check out this section. Honestly, while I was at Hasbro, I would avoid the forum section Custom Heroscape Creations. I didn't want to look at the ideas for cards because I thought it might add a filter to the way we were designing armies and army cards. But now that I am doing my own thing, this section is crazy! There is so much creative content!!! It is going to take me a long time just to catch up with everything. I thought about designing some customs, but for me, to do it right, I feel like I would need to be familiar with all the cool customs that are on the site already.

caps September 14th, 2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness (Post 2109747)
superfrog
I just started to check out this section. Honestly, while I was at Hasbro, I would avoid the forum section Custom Heroscape Creations. I didn't want to look at the ideas for cards because I thought it might add a filter to the way we were designing armies and army cards. But now that I am doing my own thing, this section is crazy! There is so much creative content!!! It is going to take me a long time just to catch up with everything. I thought about designing some customs, but for me, to do it right, I feel like I would need to be familiar with all the cool customs that are on the site already.

Make sure you don't miss this one. :)

Craig Van Ness September 14th, 2016 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryLASQ
My son and I started playing on Christmas Day of 2004 (when he was 8 years old) and we are still playing it. Thanks for creating such a great game.

GaryLASQ
Wow! I'm sure heroscapers helped to keep your interest going all those years. Thanks for the compliment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryLASQ
Was there ever any discussion at Hasbro about changing how expansions were packaged for retailers, so that store owners could order x-number of boxes that just had copies of Uniques in them, and order x-number of boxes that just had Commons in them? I remember way back in the day, running around from store to store, unsuccessfully trying to find more "Road to the Forgotten Forest" sets, only to see piles and piles of unsold "Orm's Return" on the shelf. I later found out that this was because each box the retailer got had 3 sets of Orm's and 1 set of RttFF in it.

Yes. Many many discussions. That's one of the reasons I left Hasbro. I wanted more control over everything.

Craig Van Ness September 14th, 2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiranx (Post 2109684)
Any chance we could get a Craig Van Ness custom as a National Heroscape Day surprise some day? ;)

Not this soon. I need time to look at all the cool customs that have already been created.

Craig Van Ness September 14th, 2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegietarian18 (Post 2109702)
Thanks for answering so many questions! It's really great to learn so much about Heroscape. I've enjoyed this game with my dad for more than half of my life, and it is really fun to read the thoughts of someone who made that all happen.

Which figures are you proudest of releasing? Or happiest with the end product?

Ok, I will pick 5.

That's a tough one. My first thought was Sgt. Drake Alexander, the first one, because he is named after my son Drake and Rob's son Alex. Plus I have always liked WWII minis and the story we created was really about his journey.

The next one I thought of was Sonlen. It's named after one of the talented designers of who worked on Heroscape, Chris Nelson. The sculpt is pretty awesome, and his powers are cool.

Realin, the first one.

Kaemon Awa. The sculpt and the paint job on this guy is insane and he is a solid hero to field.

Krug. Krug good. Krug strong.

Agent Minivann September 14th, 2016 09:44 PM

Back in the day there were occasionally blurry pictures of something like a shelf with unreleased and unannounced heroes and squads. Did you ever lurk those discussions and get a kick out of the wild speculation that was tossed around?

Dysole September 14th, 2016 10:21 PM

Fangirl

Thank you so much for the hard work you put into this game. It has provided me with many hours of entertainment and introduced me to this wonderful community who has been a positive impact on my life. I am happy I got to run into you at Gencon 2015 and I am super happy I have a signed Ashigaru Harquebus card.

Question that goes in an opposite direction from vegie. What's your biggest regret designwise or something you wish you had done differently?

~Dysole, feeling like she could probably ask many more questions

wriggz September 15th, 2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness (Post 2109708)
Quote:

Originally Posted by R˙chean (Post 2109614)
Hi Craig!!!

Did you really think / feel Marvel was supposed to be mixed and that it was a good idea to do so??? :-P

Totally kidding ;-) ..............mostly

R˙chean- good to hear from you!

We always kept them separate when we would get together and play. While designing, we did playtest them against each other to make them balanced if players wanted to mix the worlds.

On a similar vein, would you ever mix Arena of the Planeswalker with Heroscape? The 500-600 point limit and similar attack and defense values on the units seem to suggest it would be somewhat balanced, and lots of people have given the experiment a try with varying results.

Chachi September 15th, 2016 08:59 AM

Craig,

I just wanted to let you know that I bought a Master Set One for my son's 7th birthday in 2007. I bought it on a whim. We have been hooked ever since. We have made new friends that are now like family. It actually reunited me with an old friend and his kids, he is now my best friend and like a brother.
this game is more than a game to us. It has given us a "father and son" gaming night to a lot of us here.
We have amassed a collection of epic proportions here at my house. SO MANY memories with family and friends over this game.

Thank you for your creation and what it has done for us! Good luck with your future endeavors, sir.

-Chachi

PS- I won't bother with the "where is HS2.0" and other things. It would be epic if something happened, but we are grateful for what we have.

PSS- I won't plug my design site here, but if you ever need an artist for anything, let me know ;)