Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Taeblewalker August 30th, 2011 08:11 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Yea to Lupines.

Edit: Also, jc, feel free to start your brainstorming phase. We will commence playtesting on Dr. Dolittle, and if any questions remain about figures (Celestial Black Bear, Shade for the Doctor, ??) those can be filled in as we go.

JC McMinis August 30th, 2011 08:57 PM

I say yea to lupnes as well.

Ok my next selection is my favourite character from the very 1st fantasy novel I ever read.

Tanis Half-Elven
Literature
1st appearance-Dragons of Autmn Twilight.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...half_elven.jpg
Miniature D&D Blood War #16 Free League Ranger

Tanis is a skilled archer and swordsman. He is also a careful and brilliant leader.

Lamaclown August 30th, 2011 10:48 PM

Yes!
The original three Dragonlance books were my favorite books when I was a teenager.

Great choice, jc!

JC McMinis August 30th, 2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1471765)
Yes!
The original three Dragonlance books were my favorite books when I was a teenager.

Great choice, jc!

Thanks Lamaclown, I already have a rough draft fleshed out, but would like to get imput from you all first as usual.

Taeblewalker August 30th, 2011 11:16 PM

Cool figure idea! That figure is actually being toyed with for a C3V unit, but I think it fits Tanis perfectly.

Edit: He can have a power that designates a Kitiara on the other team; i.e., he can take a turn with that figure once per game, after he is attacked by an opponent's figure. The mechanic can also be based off a Sturm (i.e., an allied figure that gets killed during the game).

SirGalahad August 31st, 2011 04:27 AM

Just some thoughts:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...RDOOLITTLE.png

No issues with the wording, but I hope points will be addressed. Healing 2 animal wounds at a time as part of his normal turn will keep him and his 6 life around for a long time.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...4/HoF/BEAR.png

Their is a potential issue where more than one Bear you control (up to 6!) may be in position to Bear Hug the same opponent's figure, or in a multi-player free-for-all, where 3 different opponents' Bears are in position to Bear Hug Player 4's figure, which I am not sure is what you had in mind.

And 4L & 5A/5D for the Bear or -1A/-1D for its opponent is pretty strong stuff for 90 points. Crixus is 4L/5A/3D with his 1-shield defense.

So maybe something like this:

BEAR HUG
If this Bear is engaged with only 1 opponent's figure, and that figure is engaged with only this Bear, that figure may not move or be moved by any special power on an Army Card or Glyph. Figures affected by Bear Hug subtract 1 die from their attack and defense. Large and huge figures are not affected by Bear Hug.

REARING UP
This Bear adds 1 die to its attack and defense against adjacent, same-level small or medium figures. This Bear cannot use Rearing Up on the same turn it uses Bear Hug.

and look again at points or base stats

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...UNTAINLION.png

Feline Agility is exactly like Warriors of Ashra's Defensive Agility, so to make it a different power, how about a movement part? If not, no worries, just an idea for a different game mechanic.

FELINE AGILITY
When this Mountain Lion rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, one shield will block all damage, and this Mountian Lion may move 1 space for each shield rolled. When moving with Feline Agility, this Mountain Lion will not take any leaving engagment attacks.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a.../HoF/TIGER.png

Since there may be plural opponents, Jungle Camouflage should reference "opponents' figures"

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...HoF/WOLVES.png

STRENGTH OF THE PACK
When attacking with a Wolf, you may add 1 additional die for each other Wolf adjacent to the defending figure, to a maximum of 2 additional dice.

Feel free to disregard if I have misinterpreted the intent of any of these.

Lamaclown August 31st, 2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1471883)
Just some thoughts...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...aclown/hi5.jpg

For the Bear:
Perhaps...
A3/D3

Quote:

BEAR HUG
If this Bear is engaged with only 1 opponent's figure, and that figure is not engaged with only this any other Bears, that figure may not move or be moved by any special power on an Army Card or Glyph. Figures affected by Bear Hug subtract 1 die from their attack and defense. Large and huge figures are not affected by Bear Hug.

I changed the wording a little since it could have been read that the opponent's figure could be affected only if it was not engaged with any other figures period besides the bear.

I really like the addition to Feline Agility!

Taeblewalker August 31st, 2011 04:34 PM

The changes to the animals are shaping up nicely.

mac122 August 31st, 2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1471883)
Just some thoughts:

No issues with the wording, but I hope points will be addressed. Healing 2 animal wounds at a time as part of his normal turn will keep him and his 6 life around for a long time.

I'd be OK with reducing it to 1 wound from an adjacent Animal if that keeps the Doctor's cost low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirG
REARING UP
This Bear adds 1 die to its attack and defense against adjacent, same-level small or medium figures. This Bear cannot use Rearing Up on the same turn it uses Bear Hug.

Does that wording refer only to the Bear's turn or any turn the Bear is involved in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirG
FELINE AGILITY
When this Mountain Lion rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, one shield will block all damage, and this Mountian Lion may move 1 space for each shield rolled. When moving with Feline Agility, this Mountain Lion will not take any leaving engagment attacks.

I like this. Do you think it affects the point cost?

I like the edits for Jungle Camouflage and Strength of the Pack

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1472096)
For the Bear:
Perhaps...
A3/D3

I'm OK with D3, but I really think the Attack should stay at 4. Yeah, the unfortunate soul that is caught in a Bear Hug is in trouble, but a Bear is a big mound of mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC
BEAR HUG
If this Bear is engaged with only 1 opponent's figure, and that figure is not engaged with only this any other Bears, that figure may not move or be moved by any special power on an Army Card or Glyph. Figures affected by Bear Hug subtract 1 die from their attack and defense. Large and huge figures are not affected by Bear Hug.

That's better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC
I really like the addition to Feline Agility!

Agreed

JC McMinis August 31st, 2011 06:08 PM

These are all good thoughts. Lets drop Dr. D's healing down to 1 wound. I like the changes to feline agility as well. As far as the bear goes, the wording changes on Bear Hug an Rearing Up are godd but I agree with mac about leaving the attack at 4 but we could get away with 3 def.

mac122 August 31st, 2011 07:14 PM

Final (?) edits for Dr. Doolittle and the Animals
Please take a moment to look over these stats and abilities and suggest any changes.

A couple things I realized that I wonder if we should adjust. All the Animals except the Wolves are Ferocious. Also, all the Animals species are the same as their names except the Wolves.

Quote:

Dr. Doolittle
Ullar

Human
Unique Hero
Doctor
Merciful
Medium 5

Life 6
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 2

WALK WITH THE ANIMALS
After taking a turn with Dr. Doolittle, you may move up to 2 Animals you control up to 4 spaces each. Dr. Doolittle adds 1 die to his defense for each adjacent Animal you control, to a maximum of 3 additional dice.

TALK WITH THE ANIMALS
Instead of taking a turn with Dr. Dolittle, you may take a turn with any 1 Animal Hero or 1 Animal Squad you control.

THE GOOD DOCTOR
After moving and before attacking, you may choose an adjacent Animal you control and remove 1 Wound Marker from the chosen figure's Army Card.

100 points
Quote:

Bear
Ullar

Bear
Uncommon Hero
Animal
Ferocious
Large 6

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 3

BEAR HUG
If this Bear is engaged with only 1 opponent's figure, and that figure is not engaged with any other Bears, that figure may not move. A figure affected by Bear Hug may not be moved by any special power on an Army Card or Glyph. Figures affected by Bear Hug subtract 1 die from their Attack and Defense. Large or Huge figures are not affected by Bear Hug.

REARING UP
This Bear adds 1 die to its attack and defense against adjacent, same level Small or Medium figures. This bear cannot use Rearing Up on the same turn it uses Bear Hug.

90 points
Quote:

Mountain Lion
Ullar

Mountain Lion
Uncommon Hero
Animal
Ferocious
Medium 3

Life 3
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 3

FELINE AGILITY

DOUBLE ATTACK
When this Mountain Lion attacks, it may attack one additional time

CLIMB X2
When moving up or down levels of terrain, this Mountain Lion may double its height.

70 points
Quote:

Tiger
Ullar

Tiger
Uncommon Hero
Animal
Ferocious
Medium 4

Life 4
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 3

JUNGLE AMBUSH
If this Tiger starts its turn unengaged and adjacent to an Evergreen Tree or Jungle Piece, add 1 die to its attack.

JUNGLE CAMOUFLAGE
If this Tiger is adjacent to an Evergreen Tree or Jungle Piece, opponents' figures must be adjacent to this Tiger to attack it with a normal attack.

70 points
Quote:

Wolves
Ullar

Lupines
Common Squad
Animals
Wild
Small 3

Life 1
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 2

PACK MOVEMENT
You may move up to 6 Lupines that you control each turn. However, you may attack with only 3 Lupines. You may attack with any 3 Lupines, even Lupines that you did not move this turn.

STRENGTH OF THE PACK
When attacking with a Wolf, you may add 1 additional die for each other Wolf adjacent to the defending figure, to a maximum of 2 additional dice.

CLIMB X2
When moving up or down levels of terrain, Wolves may double their height.

60 points
I'll post revised cards once these are final.

-----------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis
Ok my next selection is my favourite character from the very 1st fantasy novel I ever read.

Tanis Half-Elven
Literature
1st appearance-Dragons of Autmn Twilight.

Miniature D&D Blood War #16 Free League Ranger

Tanis is a skilled archer and swordsman. He is also a careful and brilliant leader

I don't know anything about this character, but from your short description and a quick perusal of Wikipedia, here are some thoughts on Tanis:
I see Tanis having a normal ranged attack with Double Attack to represent his prowess with the bow. I also see a special attack or special ability (Wyrmslayer) that gives him a boost against Large and Huge figures in general or Dragon figures in particular. If there's room, I could see him having some sort of bonding or aura that affects Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, etc. - maybe an "instead of taking a turn with Tanis..."

RobWeaver August 31st, 2011 08:54 PM

Can I get in on designing? I have some Robert E Howard characters and the cast of Robert Asperin's "Myth" books.