Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Other Board Games (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What Board Game Are You Currently Playing? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23535)

airdroppers June 1st, 2011 10:29 AM

Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendal (Post 1414206)
airdroppers - I have only played it with 2, since I am just learning I thought it would be better, I will be playing with more soon.

I kinda think you need to build up your agr. level first, then focus on tools and getting cards, I went for building but the cards got the other guy way more points. Still trying to grasp it all. I downloaded the rules and got half way through ( really just wanted to see when the agr. level gives you the bonus - before or after you need to fee your people? ) and see the end scoring - and my computer froze up before I saw the whole thing. Do you get points for you resources at all? I thought not but I asked the first guy I played against and he said yes you do?

You don`t get points for resources.

You could have the whole gold mine at the end of the game and get 0 points for it. In the midst of the game, you get points for building Huts and buying cards with Victory Points on them. You mostly get points from the multipliers on the cards for end game, So I would suggest buying the right cards. If you let someone get all the cards, they will win the game. The game is way more balanced if everyone gets some cards + do other things.

P.S I upgraded my tools to the max one game which is 4, 4, 4 and I had a multiplier of 7! 12 x 7 = 84 Victory Points, that`s way more then any Hut can give you.

Jormi_Boced June 1st, 2011 10:52 AM

I am heading to Capitol City Carnage this weekend, so should have a ton of fun.

Eclipse June 1st, 2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Land-based AE (Post 1414770)
Yeah, we played a battlebox demo game. The PG had all the factions which was nice. I was worried I'd only be able to chose from the 2 he has to have.

I went into it thinking I really wanted to play Cryx because I like the variety of the sculpts in their jacks but I left thinking Cryx isn't for me. As he was explaining the game to me, he explained the factions and I chose to play Menoth instead of Cryx.

Now obviously he let me win and I know that but the Cryx jacks really can't take a punch. I killed the helljack in one turn with my heavy jack. Again he obviously let me get close but in my wargaming history, the quick-moving, low armor armies have never played well for me.

Menoth seems to have a nice mix between good armor and solid light jacks that provide for some swarming. Plus I love the fluff and their units have plenty of range options.

I think I may head that way instead.

Cryx is good. Most people seem to think they're the best in the game, though overall things are really well balanced. Getting the first strike is actually a pretty big deal, so speed can really matter.

One thing you should probably keep in mind before you really decide is that the Battlebox really represents the maximum amount of jacks you'll likely use at a time. You probably noticed a strain on focus as is and as you increase in points, that strain will require you add more units instead of a bunch of jacks. Cryx tends to rely heavily on their infantry, so their strengths aren't immediately apparent in the battlebox.

Menoth, however, is probably the best if you want to run Jack heavy. They have terrific Jack buffing in the Choir and Vassals (which also isn't apparent in the battlebox) and the Avatar gives you a Jack that doesn't strain your focus since it generates its own. Really though, its mostly about finding the convergence of models and playstyle that's right for you. Just make sure you're as happy with the units as you are with the Jacks. It's easy to focus on them, but realistically as you build your army, you're going to need as many, if not more units.

southwest ninja June 1st, 2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airdroppers (Post 1414772)
Quote:

airdroppers - I have only played it with 2, since I am just learning I thought it would be better, I will be playing with more soon.

I kinda think you need to build up your agr. level first, then focus on tools and getting cards, I went for building but the cards got the other guy way more points. Still trying to grasp it all. I downloaded the rules and got half way through ( really just wanted to see when the agr. level gives you the bonus - before or after you need to fee your people? ) and see the end scoring - and my computer froze up before I saw the whole thing. Do you get points for you resources at all? I thought not but I asked the first guy I played against and he said yes you do?

You could have the whole gold mine at the end of the game and get 0 points for it. In the midst of the game, you get points for building Huts and buying cards with Victory Points on them. You mostly get points from the multipliers on the cards for end game, So I would suggest buying the right cards. If you let someone get all the cards, they will win the game. The game is way more balanced if everyone gets some cards + do other things.

P.S I upgraded my tools to the max one game which is 4, 4, 4 and I had a multiplier of 7! 12 x 7 = 84 Victory Points, that`s way more then any Hut can give you.

This is wrong, at the end of the game you score one point for every resource you have regardless of type except for food.

EternalThanos86 June 1st, 2011 02:48 PM

Stone Age

Scoring Victory Points
1.) In Game:
-Purchasing a card that grants 3 immediate points (see top left card)

-Buying a hut (VP dependent on resources paid)

2.) Post game:
-Each resource (except food) counts as 1 regardless of type
-Civilization cards bottom section ONLY
*Green cards = number of UNIQUE green cards squared (ex. 4 is worth 16 points)
*Tan cards = multiply number by resource (ex. 3 farmers x 7 farm production is worth 21 points)

For more help, visit the Geek

Hendal June 2nd, 2011 12:57 AM

Thanks everyone, nice to know how the scoring works, won my first game of it today- yea, ONline of course, but gotta start somewhere

Got home and the wife told me she called friends over to game later , so I went and got my friend matt and we played

Blue Moon City with 4, I won
Castle Panic w/ 5, we won, but I was not the Master Slayer
2 games of The Red dragon inn w/ 3, I won the first, lost the 2nd

My wife was teaching our other friend Lost Cities during our drinking game.

FUn night

Oh yea and the wife made a batch of Chocolate Chip muffins, ymmm

lafleurhero June 2nd, 2011 11:55 AM

I received several Z-man games for demo purposes this week. Tuesday the store was "closed" even though I spent close to 3 hours here. I brought the game Perry Rhodan home with me to try out with my roommates daughter. We didn't get to finish it though as she was getting very tired. On Wednesday we had the opportunity to try out Archaeology, which was fun and easy to learn. This was the only game were were actually able to finish and I didn't get rules messed up on. We tried out Primordial Soup after this. We had to put it up because one of the players was tired. One other person arrived and offered to take over but because of the mistakes made we thought it better to try another game. We tried Road Kill Rally after this. Messed up a very minor rule on this one that at least affected everyone equally. We never got to finish once again though because it was getting very close to midnight and we possibly had another hour to go. I think of these four newest games I like Perry Rhodan the best, however Archaeology is also quite good. I just don't see Archaeology as having as much replay value as the other three.

I still have several more new games to try out. Hopefully I will get the chance to play two of them today.

Greyelephant June 2nd, 2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airdroppers (Post 1414772)
Quote:

Hendal, I can't recommend Stone Age enough. My wife and I play VERY often. It and Thunderstone are our #1 and #2 top played games.

FYI, feeding your people isn't necessary. Yes, you can suffer a -10 points for each round you fail to, however it's a strategy used to win enough and possibly very often if you're playing against people who are not familiar with it.

The basic is you try and "multiply" your people as fast as you can and at the same time grab as many resources and cards as you can. As the other players are going for fields and tools, you are simply going for nothing but resources and cards. The only real way to combat this strategy is to block the "starvation" player from the mating hut. At 5 people he can't win. Once he gets to 7 or more, the odds start to swing in his favor of winning!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3081...ation-strategy

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/5687...ion-still-work

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/6467...gy-is-a-cancer

I'm not a fan of this strategy. Seems to run against the feel of the game. I like building up my society, not make them into a bunch of savage cannibals! Get Stone Age, I can't say it enough. Ok, one last time, get Stone Age. :)

Hendal June 2nd, 2011 05:51 PM

thanks Grey E - yea I played a guy who lost the 10 points a few times, but had so many people and killed me. Thanks for the heads up and the links, I will be getting this I am sure, but till then playing on line is great.

Matthias Maccabeus June 2nd, 2011 09:44 PM

Picked up LotR the Card Game today and got in 3 plays.

2 solos and one co-op with my daughter. First game we played as a co-op and we pretty much owned the game. I was the leadership heroes and my daughter was the spirit heroes. Next game was me solo with just tactical and I just couldn't generate enough will power with all the locations popping out. There were very few enemies and the threat was just getting to big. Third game I tried a combined sphere deck with Aragorn, Eowyn, and Glorfindel. I was doing fine until the Uruakai leader that gets plus 2 attack after every battle came out. I left him alone too long trying to thin out the easier targets and he just smoked me.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. It reminded me a bit of Death Angel when I played it. There's some similar mechanics.

Hahma June 2nd, 2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus (Post 1416082)

2 solos and one co-op with my daughter. First game we played as a co-op and we pretty much owned the game. I was the leadership heroes and my daughter was the spirit heroes. Next game was me solo with just tactical and I just couldn't generate enough will power with all the locations popping out. There were very few enemies and the threat was just getting to big. Third game I tried a combined sphere deck with Aragorn, Eowyn, and Glorfindel. I was doing fine until the Uruakai leader that gets plus 2 attack after every battle came out. I left him alone too long trying to thin out the easier targets and he just smoked me.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. It reminded me a bit of Death Angel when I played it. There's some similar mechanics.

Glad you like the game MM. I messed up the rules several times over the first several plays, as I misread or didn't read parts of the rules carefully enough and that contributed to my extremely difficult games early on. I hadn't played Death Angel, so the mechanics were totally new for me.

Your first game sounded like the last one my nephew and I played last Saturday. He had Leadership and I had Spirit. We were planning on playing some other types of games that night, but after we smoked the first scenario, he asked if we could continue in Nightmare mode. We did well enough in the second scenario and did alright in the 3rd scenario before our threats got too high and we lost. After seen some stuff on FFG forums and BBG forums, I realized that I played a couple things wrong with the third scenario and we might have actually have won if I understood a couple things better with some specifics of that scenario.

Tactics sphere is extremely difficult to get through the first scenario with when playing solo. You can kill a lot of things, but you can't generate enough willpower to get through Locations and Quest cards. When you start pulling out a few Locations in a row from the Encounter deck during the quest phase, your threat just keeps going up. This is the only sphere that I couldn't get through the first scenario with and it's a common problem that most people have had with Tactics from what I've seen on FFG and BGG forums and my own experience.

Did you have problems generating resources with your multi-sphere deck, as you can only pay for cards from your hand with the resources from the same sphere's Hero's resource pool. Did you use the 50+ card tourney deck minimum requirement? I haven't tried a 3 sphere deck, two was the most I tried and I made it through the first scenario, but no further yet.

Anyway, it's cool seeing another LOTR:LCG player around. :D

Matthias Maccabeus June 2nd, 2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahma (Post 1416140)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus (Post 1416082)

Glad you like the game MM. I messed up the rules several times over the first several plays, as I misread or didn't read parts of the rules carefully enough and that contributed to my extremely difficult games early on. I hadn't played Death Angel, so the mechanics were totally new for me.

Your first game sounded like the last one my nephew and I played last Saturday. He had Leadership and I had Spirit. We were planning on playing some other types of games that night, but after we smoked the first scenario, he asked if we could continue in Nightmare mode. We did well enough in the second scenario and did alright in the 3rd scenario before our threats got too high and we lost. After seen some stuff on FFG forums and BBG forums, I realized that I played a couple things wrong with the third scenario and we might have actually have won if I understood a couple things better with some specifics of that scenario.

Tactics sphere is extremely difficult to get through the first scenario with when playing solo. You can kill a lot of things, but you can't generate enough willpower to get through Locations and Quest cards. When you start pulling out a few Locations in a row from the Encounter deck during the quest phase, your threat just keeps going up. This is the only sphere that I couldn't get through the first scenario with and it's a common problem that most people have had with Tactics from what I've seen on FFG and BGG forums and my own experience.

Did you have problems generating resources with your multi-sphere deck, as you can only pay for cards from your hand with the resources from the same sphere's Hero's resource pool. Did you use the 50+ card tourney deck minimum requirement? I haven't tried a 3 sphere deck, two was the most I tried and I made it through the first scenario, but no further yet.

Anyway, it's cool seeing another LOTR:LCG player around. :D

I just played 2 more times...I suck.

I played another solo with all spirit and got bogged down by too many forest spiders. Though I did manage to get half way through the 3rd location, so I was at least close.

I then played another co-op game with healing and attack spheres (I forget the technical names) and man I killed everything but there was just too many location cards!! Even when I exhausted everything I had for willpower, my threat was still going up by like 2 or 3 a turn. Legolas can't progress when there's nothing to kill!!!

I do like the healing heroes a lot. I might try a healing, progression duo next time.

When I combined all 3 spheres, I had 50 cards exactly. It was a little tricky to get the right resources for the right cards.