Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Comics (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Comic for my son. (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53935)

japes April 10th, 2017 03:55 PM

Comic for my son.

Every year for Easter we've been putting comic books (well collected editions) into his basket. The problem is that he's only 9 but a great reader so finding something age appropriate that is still enjoyable has become difficult. He has the full collection of Tiny Titans which he loves and the first two volumes of the Young Justice series that ties into the cartoon. The other volumes seem to be hard to find.

Everything I've found that he'd be interested in seems to be direct reproductions of TV episodes which he doesn't like.

He likes pretty much everything that's been made into a cartoon...

Ultimate Spider-man, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Wolverine and the X-Men, Justice League, Batman, TMNT...

Any idea's here?

Tornado April 10th, 2017 04:05 PM

Re: Comic for my son.

Unfortunately no. I got into comics a little later in life.

Archie Zombie maybe?

Hoppy would be appropriate for the season.
http://13thdimension.com/wp-content/.../04/ordway.jpg

ollie April 10th, 2017 05:18 PM

Zita the Spacegirl? I'm not very sure about age-stuff. I know two five-year-olds who love having it read to them and a seven-year-old who enjoys it (I don't know whether he reads it himself as well as listening when others are having it read).

Shades fan April 11th, 2017 12:25 AM

For more younger readers I suggest Lumberjanes, Ms.Marvel, and The unbeatable Squirrel girl. All very well written and the themes aren't intense, and I even love them.

Thats a very hard question now adays as a lot of the medium are geared more toward teens and adult.

Now for more adult Comics I am totally your man!

And Btw, if he loves Marvel things...Marvel Unlimited is an absolutely steal for reading on tablets. You get so many books for a very cheap monthly fee and usually they give you 30 days free if you sign up for emails. They will send a code.

I prefer buying for my collection and reading on actual paper but Marvel tends to run higher in price for Trade Paperbacks.

IshMEL April 11th, 2017 08:10 AM

Bone.

Raider30 April 11th, 2017 12:06 PM

The current run of Incredible Hulk which is titled Totally Awesome Hulk. It's definitely a lighter comic that centers around the newest Hulk and his sister, both teens, and their adventures. Plenty of smash 'em up action, but also about him learning to control his powers. It's on issue #17 or so right now so there should be some trades out there and single issues shouldn't be that hard to find.

Also a great series that is a couple of years old now but should be available in a trade paperback would be Imagine Agents by Boom Studios(I think it was Boom). Think Men in Black meets Monsters, Inc. Very enjoyable.

Raider30

japes March 8th, 2018 05:37 PM

@Spidey'tilIDie and anyothers...

I haven't read anything form Marvel's Ultimate period but my son was asking about Ultimate Spider-Man...not the one based on the cartoon but the original Vol. 1.

I can get the first 4 volumes of the Trades from my library which takes him to about issue 24 or so I think. For those of you that have read them could you give me a run down on age appropriateness. He's almost 11 and he's seen all the Marvel Movies but Dr. Strange though he's only allowed to watch them with us. I let my wife decide things like this as I tend to be more allowing than she is...and she's probably right here.

He will be reading these with me if that helps. I just don't want him to get excited and a few issues in I have to tell him, no.

Spidey'tilIDie March 8th, 2018 06:37 PM

To my recollection, the idea was a return to the high school wholesomeness with more modern background. So Peter doesn't wear glasses or dress like a Nerd, there is a bully (Kong, I think was his name) and MJ was not a model but literally the girl next door. I don't know how your wife feels about things like cloning, but I that is the most risque thing that I remember happening in Ultimate Spider-Man. The barrier breaking things that happened in Ultimates did not carry over to Ultimate Spidey. If nothing else, take them one at a time and tell him, "I'll see if they have the next one," when you finish the first. Heck, read it for yourself, it was a great read and EVERY issue seemed too short, as I recall.

Ronin March 8th, 2018 07:23 PM

Yeah, I don't think Ultimate Spider-Man ever gets too adult.

There is violence, and the occasional character death. I can think of a couple moments in the whole run where adult relationships are alluded to, but nothing really explicit - it's implied that Wolverine made some moves on Mary Jane at one point (there's a significant age difference, but Ultimate Wolverine is a creep) - but the specifics are kept pretty oblique.

I think if the Marvel movies are okay, Ultimate Spidey should be okay for him as well. It has been a while since I read it, though.

Just be advised that like Spidey says, the other Ultimate books tend to be a lot less kid-friendly. Ultimates in particular was written by Mark Millar at his most unnecessarily 'edgy'. So if he gets curious about characters from another book showing up, that other book might be a no-go zone.

japes March 8th, 2018 07:55 PM

Thanks guys...I actually remember reading some of the X-men stuff back then so I know it's too far for him but I had read that Spidey was less edgy and I figured you guys would have an insight.

Tornado March 8th, 2018 08:02 PM

Maybe something like Transformers?

Sherman Davies March 9th, 2018 09:25 AM

I'd recommend the Batman Adventures series based on the '90s animated series. A great all-ages comic, the best Batman comics being published at that time, and arguably the best since. (They're not adaptations of the episodes, so no worries there.)