Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Alien Queen (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=58392)

quozl December 10th, 2020 09:27 PM

The Book of Alien Queen

The Book of Alien Queen

C3G DARK HORSE PUBLIC EXCLUSIVE COLLECTION 28
NOT YOUR AVERAGE SUPERHERO

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...ueen_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...Queen_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Horrorclix figure from the AVP Alien Queen Action Pack set.
Its model number and name are #009 / Alien Queen.

Character Bio - A Queen is a huge Xenomorph that serves as the mother and leader of a Xenomorph hive. Her appearance differs from that of a drone, with a pair of extra arms and a large head crest. They can engage in combat, but usually remain stationary, letting the other Xenomorphs act while they direct the hive and lay the eggs. A Queen is much more intelligent than a normal Xenomorph, displaying traits of anger and vengeance beyond any purely instinctual behavior.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • Base Clarification: Alien Queen is a double-based figure.

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • Alien Queen can activate other Xenomorph Heroes and add to their Attack with her Xenomorph Mind Link special power.
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:
  • As a Xenomorph, an Alien Queen cannot be affected by a Xenomorph's Acidic Blood special power.

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips--Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Karat December 10th, 2020 09:32 PM

Re: The Book of Alien Queen (Design Phase)

NAME = ALIEN QUEEN

SPECIES = XENOMORPH
UNIQUENESS = EVENT HERO
CLASS = MATRIARCH
PERSONALITY = TERRIFYING
SIZE = HUGE 8
(double-spaced)

LIFE = 10
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 7
DEFENSE = 5

POINTS = 400

XENOMORPH MIND LINK
After revealing an Order Marker on this card, instead of taking a turn with Alien Queen, you may take a turn with up to 2 other Xenomorph Heroes you control. Figures taking a turn with Xenomorph Mind Link add 1 to their Attack number for that turn.

PIERCING TAIL STRIKE SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 3. Attack 5.
If you rolled more skulls than your opponent rolled shields, the defending figure receives one additional wound. This special attack can only be used if the targeted figure's base is no more than 3 levels higher than Alien Queen's height or 3 levels below Alien Queen's base.

ACIDIC BLOOD
Whenever Alien Queen receives one or more wounds, before placing Wound Markers, you must immediately choose an adjacent figure that is not an Xenomorph for each wound received. Roll 1 unblockable attack die against each chosen figure. You cannot choose the same figure more than once.

SUPERSTRENGTH

Spoiler Alert!

IAmBatman December 10th, 2020 09:58 PM

Confused on how the Destructible Object part works. How do you take a turn with a Destructible Object and is it any Destructible Object?

Karat December 10th, 2020 10:09 PM

No clue. I took it how it is. Would have to ask @Hellfire .

IAmBatman December 10th, 2020 10:10 PM

Guessing it's a reference to Alien Eggs? Not sure if they work as Destructible Objects if you're going to take a turn with them, though?

Karat December 11th, 2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2433923)
Guessing it's a reference to Alien Eggs? Not sure if they work as Destructible Objects if you're going to take a turn with them, though?

That's a fair point. Maybe a figure with 0 move would be better there.

IAmBatman December 11th, 2020 10:50 AM

I guess it'd be helpful to take a look at what he has for Alien Eggs. I'm not sure why the eggs need to take turns at all, but it could become clearer by seeing the design. It seems apparent this design needs to take into account where that design is headed to get things right! :-)

Tornado December 11th, 2020 11:01 AM

Here you go.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellfire (Post 2204646)
XENOMORPH EGG DESTRUCTIBLE OBJECT

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140421201417

Spoiler Alert!

IAmBatman December 11th, 2020 11:04 AM

Hmm, yeah, passive powers and no leftbox stats. It's technically not draftable in that write up because it has no points, but I'm assuming it's meant to be.

I think it works as a DO but there's no need to take turns with it (and nothing that'd happen if you did?). But hopefully other people can confirm, because I often miss the obvious. :-P

MrNobody December 11th, 2020 01:40 PM

I think if it’s a DO you have to work with the fact that neither player really has ownershio of it (so things could get weird in mirror matches), but if it’s a Hero you have to work with the inherent weirdness of it being something that should never really move, attack, or take tirns in the traditional sense.

Splash December 11th, 2020 01:45 PM

I'd go 0 move figure, kinda like having a bunch of mini Marro Hives.

Could the eggs be designed alongside the Queen as they are kind of intertwined especially if it's decided she can lay them, plus I assume we're using the Horrorclix figure which comes with plenty of eggs (as well as C3G's chosen Alien Drone and Predator).

Tornado December 11th, 2020 02:00 PM

Hmm, I think you may be on to something with doing the eggs with the Queen. I think in a mirror match it could just be a free for all to use the eggs.

MrNobody December 11th, 2020 02:08 PM

Well I think if you do the eggs at the same time as the queen, you also have to do the Facehuggers, since that’s what usually hatches from the eggs.

Tornado December 11th, 2020 02:11 PM

Can of worms...opened. :)

Dr. Jekyll December 11th, 2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2434062)
Well I think if you do the eggs at the same time as the queen, you also have to do the Facehuggers, since that’s what usually hatches from the eggs.

That's what I was gonna say! This is a rough one.

Dr. Jekyll December 11th, 2020 02:34 PM

Found these minis on Etsy for like 12 bucks for 8.

https://i.etsystatic.com/18758773/r/...17742_9thb.jpg

Splash December 11th, 2020 02:48 PM

Unrelated, but the Queen's Class should be changed from Endoparasitoid, cause the Drone's was changed to Stalker.

Karat December 11th, 2020 02:52 PM

Should it though? I don't remember why that was changed and I really see no huge reason they have to be the same.

Dr. Jekyll December 11th, 2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karat (Post 2434080)
Should it though? I don't remember why that was changed and I really see no huge reason they have to be the same.

I agree, I think it should stay.

Splash December 11th, 2020 02:56 PM

Oh I was just thinking for consistency and assumed there was a good reason the first time.

Arch-vile December 11th, 2020 03:18 PM

The class does look off to me. What does Endoparasitoid mean? Queen would also work as a class.

Without having any Xenomorph squads or Xenomorph Destructible Objects, it's hard to say how the Mind Link power would work out. Do we have a plan for the Facehuggers and/or Eggs? I'm not opposed to designing the Queen first, but I'd like a factional plan in place if we're calling out undesigned things on the card.

The latter three powers look good. Super Strength needs to be spelled out in the SP.

IAmBatman December 11th, 2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2434044)
I think if it’s a DO you have to work with the fact that neither player really has ownershio of it (so things could get weird in mirror matches), but if it’s a Hero you have to work with the inherent weirdness of it being something that should never really move, attack, or take tirns in the traditional sense.

That’s not true if you make it a draftable DO, is it?

Yodaking December 11th, 2020 04:37 PM

Yeah, she lays the eggs in the movie so maybe she should be able to lay eggs in our game. Then she can bring the eggs onto any board she happens to be playing on. Could do a start the game with X eggs type of power, place them in your start zone at the start of the game.

I'd try to roll some of the generic species stuff (acid blood, tail attack, shadow love) into other powers/stats so you can focus more on a new set of powers unique to her and try to end up with a 3 power card.

I really like the evolution power in action, the base Alien warriors could use a bump up in stats, but thematically I'm not sure how it fits. Maybe she should be more like a Captain America for Aliens where she inspires all of them to fight harder when she is in play.

Yodaking December 11th, 2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch-vile (Post 2434097)
Without having any Xenomorph squads or Xenomorph Destructible Objects, it's hard to say how the Mind Link power would work out. Do we have a plan for the Facehuggers and/or Eggs? I'm not opposed to designing the Queen first, but I'd like a factional plan in place if we're calling out undesigned things on the card.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the squad call out with no squads to test. Maybe just let her take a turn with any 2 (or 3) Alien figures (common or unique). Then we could make some Unique Squads of Aliens and they would still be useful even after they fall below full strength if you can mix and match taking turns with them and other Unique Squad or Hero figures.

Dr. Jekyll December 11th, 2020 04:46 PM

I would start the game with X eggs where X is the number of Facehuggers in your army

Splash December 11th, 2020 04:56 PM

Maybe something like "2 Unique Xenomorph army cards/heroes or 3 Common Xenomorph army cards/heroes" depending on how the others turn out.

IAmBatman December 11th, 2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll (Post 2434137)
I would start the game with X eggs where X is the number of Facehuggers in your army

I just think they should be drafted on their own (and designed/costed on their own). If you're drafting an Egg DO into your army, that's something that can be balanced.

Probably not ideal to start with the Queen, so the subsequent stuff may pay "Queen tax" but in a close knit faction, I think that's OK.

MrNobody December 11th, 2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2434131)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2434044)

That’s not true if you make it a draftable DO, is it?

The pretense I was working under with the Cyber-Converter was that it didn’t really “belong” the the player who drafted it - It’s a neutral resource that either player can take advantage of, so theoretically things can get messy in a Cyberman mirror match.

I like the idea of the eggs being draftable seperately. I can envision a 3-player scenario where 1 player starts in the middle with a bunch of eggs, and has to slowly evolve them into full-blown Xenomorphs. Maybe something can just be included on the card of the eggs that gives the Queen the ability to “lay” them?

IAmBatman December 11th, 2020 06:09 PM

I think the eggs could honestly cover the laying on their end (basically like a sidekick power). The draftable Green Lantern Battery DO should set the precedent for the eggs.

tcglkn December 11th, 2020 06:22 PM

Yea even if you draft a DO it’s not in your army. Look at the Central Power Battery. All the effects are symmetrical.

IAmBatman December 11th, 2020 06:37 PM

Ah. Hmm. Tricky

Yodaking December 11th, 2020 06:42 PM

Having any egg laying themed power on the eggs card instead of the queen makes sense. Leave more room for other powers on the queens card and we won't have to worry about testing that aspect of the design until the eggs are actually made. I'd just drop the eggs are DO's idea and have them common heroes you draft into your army with a move & attack of 0.

Splash December 11th, 2020 07:32 PM

Yeah, that makes sense.

Arch-vile December 11th, 2020 08:06 PM

Sounds like a solid plan.

IAmBatman December 11th, 2020 10:14 PM

Yep. It makes sense for you to be able to take a turn with them if that's how they hatch. So I agree with them being common heroes.

johnny139 December 11th, 2020 11:35 PM

Yeah I agree with that consensus - eggs are heroes is kind of weird, but I think having them as DOs is weirder.

Power-wise, I'm not sure I love the Tail Strike here, if only because I'm not sure I buy her as the "lurking in the shadows" type. Isn't she fairly huge? I wouldn't mind a reach power, if she does use the tail strike, but something without the shadow bonus.

Probably need a limit on the number of Growth Markers, if only to solve the "how many should I bring with me?" question, but it probably won't be relevant in most games.

Would "HIVELORD" be too cute a class here, as kind of a Marro reference? I always felt there was a degree of reference there, and it'd be fun to give a nod back.

Otherwise looks solid. :up:

Splash December 12th, 2020 12:29 AM

She uses that tail a good amount and has just straight up speared people to deadly effect, I could see the shadow spaces being unnecessary though. Perhaps a +2 reach ability could be packed into one of the other powers to get that three power trifecta talked about earlier.

edit - Also Queen should be a Huge 8 or 9ish probably.

MrNobody December 13th, 2020 07:14 PM

I could maybe buy it as an SA or autowound power. I don't think we need to stick to the exact same power as the Drones - kinda weird for the giant Queen to get a boost from hiding in shadows.

MrNobody December 16th, 2020 10:26 PM

Any thoughts here, Karat?

Karat December 16th, 2020 11:32 PM

They're pending. Busy week at work. Today was day 4 of 6.

Karat December 20th, 2020 12:31 PM

Hmm. I'm still formulating ideas here, but I'm thinking maybe something like this for a tail power with a range of 3 for her.

Quote:

PIERCING TAIL STRIKE
When attacking a figure that is not adjacent, Alien Queen rolls 1 fewer attack die. If you roll more skulls than your opponent rolled shields, the defending figure receives one additional wound.
Then I was thinking of maybe combining the first two powers and calling it something like Queen of the Xenomorphs. Not exactly sure how yet.

I do agree that the Face Huggers should be 0 move heroes and with the egg laying being on their card.

Dr. Jekyll December 20th, 2020 12:55 PM

I like the Tail Strike here.
So are the eggs and facehuggers going to be lumped onto one card?

MrNobody December 20th, 2020 01:01 PM

Yeah, I like that power. Feels like the thing Ridley does in Smash, which is on-point.

I imagine the Facehugger design would come with an Egg DO that would get its own card.

IAmBatman December 20th, 2020 01:59 PM

Not following why Facehuggers would be 0 move. Just watched Aliens last night for research and those things definitely move fast! :-)

I agree that Egg DOs should be a thing and that Facehuggers should have to start on them and would say that instead of moving/taking a turn Facehuggers can "hatch" out of them. Then the Queen can just focus on giving turns to Facehuggers and Drones and the Facehuggers can take care of the hatching.

The problem is, the Queen should also be laying the eggs ... which makes me wonder if we're not putting the cart before the horse here by doing the Queen before the Facehuggers/Eggs?

Karat December 20th, 2020 02:06 PM

Definitely meant the eggs.....:oops:

I'm almost inclined to agree on that last point too. Though we did talk about putting the laying on the eggs themselves.

IAmBatman December 20th, 2020 02:08 PM

I guess the Egg DOs could handle laying and hatching both, yeah ... So then so long as the Queen takes turns with Facehuggers, she's probably doing her part and you can focus on turn bonding and her overall offense here.

Yeah, I think that makes sense. Egg DOs and Facehuggers are going to be a challenging design to get just right since they'll be doing a lot, but I think it's doable, and means you could potentially just run the Queen and some Drones as an offensive army without worrying about the whole life cycle thing.

Yodaking December 20th, 2020 02:10 PM

The Eggs can have a power that places them on the board or on the card of the Alien Queen, then move from the Queen to the board when revealing an OM on the Queen.

MrNobody December 20th, 2020 02:13 PM

That feels kinda consistent with the movies too - Aliens isn't hugely concerned with the life cycle thing either.