Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Doctor Doom (Sorcerer) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53188)

Ronin July 15th, 2016 08:35 PM

The Book of Doctor Doom (Sorcerer)

The Book of Doctor Doom (Sorcerer)

C3G MARVEL SUPER SECRET EXCLUSIVE 52
DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC?

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...omII_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...oomII_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the Secret Invasion set.
Its model number and name are #040 / DOOM.

Character Bio - After years of failing to best Reed Richards by means of science, Doctor Doom struck a bargain with a trio of demons known as the Hazareth Three and sacrificed the one woman who loved him in exchange for increased mystical abilities. Taking advantage of Reed's difficulty understanding magic, Doom tormented the Fantastic Four and even went so far as trapping Reed's son, Franklin, in Hell. Doom finally lost the upper hand when Reed tricked him into angering the Hazareth Three, who stripped Doom of the powers they had granted him and kept him prisoner in Hell.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • N/A

-Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses-

Immunities:Benefits:Weaknesses:_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • Doctor Doom is a high-risk/high-reward unit. He can elevate himself to truly astonishing power levels, but be careful not to overreach.
  • Doom has few direct synergies, aside from the obvious Doombots. Doom is a bit of an OM hog, since he can only get extra Mystic Domination turns if OMs are revealed on his own card. Thus, he prefers the company of support units that require few OMs to function. Judge Fear, Angel (Liam), Angel (Warren), and Jason Voorhees are of particular interest, but tie-down and turn-denial units could also be explored. Anything to bog down the opponent while Doom blasts away.
  • One or two Doombots is never a bad choice for Doom. More than two is pushing your luck; eventually, Doom will get burned and lose all his powers, and at that point any remaining Doombots probably aren't worth the 95 points each you allotted them. Reviving a powerless Doom just isn't as helpful or satisfying as bringing him back at the peak of his abilities.
  • Think carefully about how quickly you want to stack up Invocation Markers on Doom's card. Taking one early is probably a good idea, but you may want to wait until later on, when Doom is in danger, to take the third and final marker.
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Ronin July 15th, 2016 08:36 PM

Re: The Book of Doctor Doom (II) (Design Phase)

NAME = DOCTOR DOOM
SECRET IDENTITY = VICTOR VON DOOM

SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = SORCERER
PERSONALITY = CRUEL

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 5
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 4

POINTS = 345

INVOKED DEMONS
Start the game with a black Invocation Marker on this card. At the end of each round, you may place an Invocation Marker on this card, to maximum of 3 Invocation Markers. Add 1 to Doctor Doom's Attack and Defense numbers for each Invocation Marker on this card. When rolling the 20-sided die for any special power on this card, the roll cannot be modified by any glyph or any figure's special power unless that figure is a Demon.

MYSTIC DOMINATION
After taking a turn with Doctor Doom, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll X or lower, where X is the number of Invocation Markers on this card, all special powers on this card are negated for the rest of the game. If you roll 15 or higher and you revealed an Order Marker on this card at the start of your turn, you may choose a Unique Hero within 4 clear sight spaces of Doctor Doom. Take temporary control of that figure and take an immediate turn with that figure. At the end of that turn, control of the chosen figure returns to the player who controlled the figure before the Mystic Domination.

MAGICAL DEFENSE
When Doctor Doom is attacked by an opponent's figure that does not have the Magical Defense special power, the most wounds Doctor Doom can take from this attack is one.

SUPER STRENGTH

FLYING

Old versions:
Spoiler Alert!

Ronin July 15th, 2016 08:37 PM

Comic:

Figure:

Background:
Looking for something fiery maybe, for the demonic ties. Or some kind of mystical energy feel would work too.

Ronin July 15th, 2016 08:40 PM

Main changes I'm considering right now are numbers tweaks. I was thinking it might be a good idea to cap him at 2 markers and raise his attack/defense by 1. Not sure where I want to put the roll for success on Mystical Mind Exchange, either. (Which I might rename to something more streamlined, like Mind Transference)

johnny139 July 15th, 2016 08:48 PM

Yeah, number tweaks are pretty much all this needs in my opinion, and that'll just take testing.

I was also going to suggest a name change, but something pushing the magicalness - "Mystic Domination" or something like that. This is going to be the only "magic Doom" for the foreseeable future, and I think we should push that angle as much as possible.

Ronin July 15th, 2016 08:54 PM

Fair enough. I am hoping to keep the card feeling essentially Doom-y enough that if you've never read Unthinkable and just want a magic-slinging Doom, this'll scratch that itch.

Ronin July 15th, 2016 09:06 PM

Oh, one other thing did occur to me, which was that Magical Defense plus Doombots could make him a real pain to take down. Plus you could throw Wong in there. May end up lowering his life even though Doom I has 6 Life.

Tornado July 16th, 2016 09:08 AM

That was my immediate first thought was drop Life by 1.
I think you can test it as is and see how he plays.

He is going to slide through just ahead of spells so that is not a worry though he will be a powerful addition to the spell caster faction.

On the markers, you are getting the first immediately so he is essentially already 5/5.
Opponents are going to want to soften him up quickly but he can make that difficult.

I like it. With Doombots and Spells you can build a rather sizeable army of just Doom.
That will be fun.

Viegon July 16th, 2016 09:51 AM

Yeah, Magical Defense + his stats + Doombots will make him super tough; not sure what we can do about that though. Probably see how it goes in testing first.

Still not entirely sold on Mystical Mind Exchange, it feels a bit overused to me, but I do agree that it feels very Doom-y.

Overall, I like the direction. :up:

Ronin July 16th, 2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2102055)
That was my immediate first thought was drop Life by 1.
I think you can test it as is and see how he plays.

He is going to slide through just ahead of spells so that is not a worry though he will be a powerful addition to the spell caster faction.

I think I'm going to end up making a few other number tweaks, so I probably will pre-emptively nose his Life down to 5. He's got enough going on that I don't think it'll really hurt his value.

Don't think he has any potential balance issues with any of the spells, or at least nothing that's unique to him and not currently an issue being worked out with the spells in general. So he should be good on that front.

Quote:

On the markers, you are getting the first immediately so he is essentially already 5/5.
Opponents are going to want to soften him up quickly but he can make that difficult.

I like it. With Doombots and Spells you can build a rather sizeable army of just Doom.
That will be fun.
Yeah, that's why I was thinking about nudging his Attack/Defense up to 5/5 and dropping to just two markers. Seems like grabbing the first one is too much of a no-brainer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viegon (Post 2102061)
Yeah, Magical Defense + his stats + Doombots will make him super tough; not sure what we can do about that though. Probably see how it goes in testing first.

Still not entirely sold on Mystical Mind Exchange, it feels a bit overused to me, but I do agree that it feels very Doom-y.

Overall, I like the direction. :up:

Yeah, he's going to end up real tough whatever we do. He does always have the potential of negating himself to even things out, though.

Yodaking July 16th, 2016 03:26 PM

Dropping his life is a good idea, Enchantress ended up having to drop down from 7 to 5 because it was just too hard to kill her. I'd go with just two markers and a base 5/5, but then double the effect the markers have on his roll such that 2 markers = -4 to the d20 roll that might cost him everything. Then it is a little more risky to use the markers but if he does lose his powers he is still a 5/5 figure with Doombots.

Ronin July 16th, 2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaking (Post 2102121)
Dropping his life is a good idea, Enchantress ended up having to drop down from 7 to 5 because it was just too hard to kill her. I'd go with just two markers and a base 5/5, but then double the effect the markers have on his roll such that 2 markers = -4 to the d20 roll that might cost him everything. Then it is a little more risky to use the markers but if he does lose his powers he is still a 5/5 figure with Doombots.

I'm right on the same page you are. :up:

I think those changes should still give him a fun risk/reward dynamic while keeping him from being too swingy.