Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

CJofCourse December 7th, 2016 11:50 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2124537)
The original proposal for the character seems more like a C3G design, but I've been thinking such spice may keep this going.

Well, I've decided we ought to go with Classic Mario, and I'll save Modern Mario for C3G or myself.

So, for Classic Mario, I was thinking of a normal attack that is buffed by a power which is triggered (haha, memes) by him attacking normally. It wouldn't make sense for him to jump at a Samurai from 6 spaces away and the samurai not be able to counterstrike, or for Spiderman not to see it coming, you get the idea.

So, a rough sketch of version 0.8 of Mario.

Name: Mario
Allegiance: Jandar
Race: Plumber???
Class: Savior
Personality: Valiant
Size: Medium 4, this puts him between 3 (his dwarf size) and 5 (his mushroom size).

Life: 2
Move: 6
Range: 3 (You'll see why later)
Attack: 3-4, can't decide.
Defense: 0

So, with completely placeholder wording, a proposal for the powers:

JUMPING: When Mario moves, he may ignore up to 3 spaces of water and lava, and may ignore all elevation changes of up to 6. Mario never takes falling damage or major falling damage. (still takes extreme, don't know if I did a good or a bad here.)

JUMP ATTACK: (note the omission of "Special", this denotes that is not a special attack and still triggers power like counterstrike and such) When Mario attacks normally, figures roll one less defense die. (think about it, if a dwarf tried to jump on your head, you'd have a hard time defending yourself too.) After attacking normally with Mario, place Mario adjacent to the attacked figure. (this is why he has a Range of 3, he starts the jump up to 3 spaces away, then hits them, then bounces off of their head and lands next to them. And height can still affect this attack, the higher the jump the more it hurts.)

UNTITLED:
Mario may never take more than 1 wound per turn. When Mario destroys a figure with a normal attack, you may remove 1 wound marker from this card. (First sentence: Thematic thing here, let's say Mario gets surrounded by some goombas, if he gets hurt, not all the goombas will hurt him because he is invincible for a short time. So why wouldn't this work against some knights or archers?)(Second sentence: HA! I found a way to incorporate power-ups in here.)

Confred December 9th, 2016 11:58 AM

I like "Plumber" as class, but why simply not "Human" as species?

I think he should be able to bounce off heads to a greater distance then adjacent.

I'm at work, so I'll have a more detailed write-up later.

CJofCourse December 9th, 2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2124823)
I like "Plumber" as class, but why simply not "Human" as species?

That part of the figure was a mainly a joke, he's not really human. Look at those jumps! I suppose Human as species and Plumber as class would work. Unless of course we're going Donkey Kong classic, in which case I think he's a carpenter.

Quote:

I think he should be able to bounce off heads to a greater distance then adjacent.
Yeah, probably. 2 spaces sound good?

JC McMinis December 9th, 2016 06:58 PM

Technically he was not named Mario until the Mario Bros. game. In Donkey Long he was known as jump man.

CJofCourse December 9th, 2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC McMinis (Post 2124935)
Technically he was not named Mario until the Mario Bros. game. In Donkey Long he was known as jump man.

Yeah, but we're making a custom based on Super Mario Bros. So I think we're fine here.

Barry allen December 12th, 2016 01:41 AM

Sorry I haven't posted in a wile but life got busy. Really busy. I like the direction he's going right now but is he gonna be able to throw fire balls at people? He should probably have some sort of wall jumping ability. Just to keep him as accurate as possible. And as @Confred mentioned he should be able to jump on people from distances greater than one space. He does need a bit of distance to do it. I'll go pull out my NES and play some classic mario tomorrow for some Ideas.

CJofCourse December 12th, 2016 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry allen (Post 2125238)
Sorry I haven't posted in a wile but life got busy. Really busy. I like the direction he's going right now but is he gonna be able to throw fire balls at people? He should probably have some sort of wall jumping ability. Just to keep him as accurate as possible. And as @Confred mentioned he should be able to jump on people from distances greater than one space. He does need a bit of distance to do it. I'll go pull out my NES and play some classic mario tomorrow for some Ideas.

No wall-jumping, this is Classic Mario we're talking about, and a wall-jumping ability would take up far too much card space.

Confred December 19th, 2016 10:40 AM

To me, Mario is not known for wall jumping.

Confred December 28th, 2016 11:54 PM

I've been playing with it back and forth and I still think something closer to:

POUNCE SPECIAL ATTACK classic
Range 3. Attack 5.
If Super Mario moved but did not attack normally, he may use Pounce Special Attack. To pounce, choose a non-adjacent small or medium figure whose base is not higher or lower than 5 levels from the base of Super Mario. If the figure is destroyed, immediately place Super Mario on the space the figure occupied. If the figure is not destroyed, destroy Super Mario.

DOUBLE LEAP 6
Instead of his normal move, Super Mario may use Double Leap 6. Double Leap 6 has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Double Leap 6, ignore elevations. Super Mario may leap over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and leap over obstacles such as ruins. Super Mario may not leap more than 6 levels up or down in a single leap. After leaping, he may leap again with his Double Leap 6.

MUSHROOM POWER
If Super Mario has no wounds on his Army Card, add 2 to his size and he counts as a medium figure. The most damage he may take is 1. If Super Mario would be destroyed, instead move him 1 space and deal 1 damage to him.

Life 2 (+1 from the 'shroom)
Move 5 (normal)
Range 1 (expected)
Attack 0 (forces the jump attack scenario)
Defense 4 (1 for each of the directions on the D-pad, symbolizing the player's controller skills)
Points 25 (quarter to play)

CJofCourse December 30th, 2016 12:38 AM

I like what you're going with here, changes in Bold Blue. Comments in Bold Red.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2127986)
I've been playing with it back and forth and I still think something closer to:

JUMP SPECIAL ATTACK Because Pounce is less thematic.
Range Special. Attack 5.
If Super Mario moved at least one space but did not attack normally,I think this should be cut, doesn't having "Special Attack" in the name already serve the purpose of the previously bolded black text? he may use Jump Special Attack. When using Jump Special Attack, choose a non-adjacent small or medium figure within 3 spaces of Mario whose base is not higher or lower than 5 levels from the base of Mario. If the figure is destroyed, immediately place Super Mario on the space the figure occupied and remove up to one wound marker from this card. If the figure is not destroyed, destroy Super Mario.

JUMPING 5 I changed the name for thematic purposes, and for the sake of card space, and so this is less gimmicky, I changed the wording.
Instead of his normal move, Super Mario may use Jumping 5. Jumping 5 has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Jumping 5, ignore elevations of up to 13. He can't fly and I don't think we want it to feel that way. Mario may leap over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and leap over obstacles such as ruins. I cut out the last line as a previous edited line fills the purpose.

MUSHROOM POWER
If Super Mario has no wounds on his Army Card, add 2 to his size and he counts as a medium figure. The most damage he may take is 1. If Super Mario would be destroyed, instead move him 1 space and deal 1 damage to him. Are we going to leave him without the ability to regain a life? Because that doesn't seem thematic to me. Which is why I added that line to Jumping Special Attack.

Life 2 (+1 from the 'shroom)
Move 6 (because he is faster than normal)
Range 1 (expected)
Attack 0 (forces the jump attack scenario)
Defense 4 (1 for each of the directions on the D-pad, symbolizing the player's controller skills) It works, I like that.
Points 25 (quarter to play) Despite how awesome that would be, this isn't gonna happen unless we make him exceedingly weak.

Confred December 30th, 2016 02:00 PM

I don't understand the life draining you're pushing. I'm willing to learn, but to me it's theme breaking.

25 pts is fine because he is Attack 0 and Life 2. Could make him 50 actually, a quarter for each Life.

I'm fine with Jump instead of Leap/Double Jump
I'm not sold on "ing"
When I get home, I could look more closely at Flying wording vs. the Stealth Leap model, in which I used for Double Jump.

Confred April 23rd, 2017 12:23 AM

It's Currently Saturday/Sunday.
This is stuck on a design element that requires clarification from design lead: Mushroom Power.
Come Friday, this request will decay and this design will be tabled.