Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   AotV Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   AotV Playtesting Thread (Volunteers needed!) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=56342)

Astroking112 November 14th, 2019 01:31 AM

AotV Playtesting Thread (Volunteers needed!)

This thread lists all of the units currently in playtesting. If you want to help, playtesting is a GREAT place to start.

Here's an example playtesting form to help you with your reports:

Quote:

<Insert point total here>
Map:
Glyphs:

Army 1:
Army 2:

Which units survived?

<Insert a description of how the game went, if possible. We don't need a turn-by turn - broad strokes is good, but how the unit performed is better.>

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

<List, if possible, the uses of their powers and how many units were wounded/destroyed/effected. Might also be good to total up how many points the unit destroyed, using partial score rules.>

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

Current Units in Playtesting:

- Tetsuo Tyrell (Jace, Investigator)

- Pyria (Chandra Nalaar)

- Velkhor (Ob Nixilus)

- Velnesh Alphas (Leyline Phantoms)

- Dienekes (Gideon Jura)

Glyph of Knowledge

Glyph of Recall

Glyph of Healing

Pumpkin_King November 22nd, 2019 07:02 PM

Re: AOTV Playtesting Thread (Volunteers needed!)

Here is the current set of WIP cards!

And this is a link to AotV standees for Pods 0 and 1

Here’s the OHS document for some of the AOTV units.

All Your Pie December 7th, 2019 12:59 PM

Pyria has moved into Testing.

Pumpkin_King December 7th, 2019 04:19 PM

Added to the OP.

All Your Pie December 8th, 2019 12:12 AM

As more units move into testing, should we consider setting up a gdocs sheet with top-down shots of the figures for online play? I know the app is how I do most of my testing, so setting up that kind of resource would simplify the process even further.

Pumpkin_King December 8th, 2019 02:11 AM

That would be great. I don't use the app much, only once.

Shiftrex January 21st, 2020 10:50 PM

I'd like to volunteer! I've spoken up a bit on the discord. Is there a particular format or type of playtesting I can do to be more useful?

All Your Pie January 22nd, 2020 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiftrex (Post 2343407)
I'd like to volunteer! I've spoken up a bit on the discord. Is there a particular format or type of playtesting I can do to be more useful?

Thanks for the interest! Check kevindola’s reports in any of the threads listed in the OP for some excellent examples of a good format to use and what kind of feedback to provide.

@Pumpkin_King , when you get a chance could you link the recommended playtesting report form in the OP, and also remove the Ukushisa? They’re back in design at the moment.

Pumpkin_King February 1st, 2020 03:59 AM

Done and done. Pride taken out, added a form to the OP.

Astroking112 February 1st, 2020 02:52 PM

@Pumpkin_King , could you add the Glyph of Knowledge and Glyph of Recall to the OP when you get a chance?

Pumpkin_King February 1st, 2020 04:01 PM

Done!

Astroking112 February 17th, 2020 06:27 PM

The Glyph of Healing is ready for Testing.

All Your Pie February 23rd, 2020 08:41 PM

Dienekes has moved into testing.

NecroBlade March 1st, 2020 12:01 PM

No promises, but I've got about a month before any other planned gaming, which should allow me to keep a map up and do some testing.

Pumpkin_King April 8th, 2020 08:34 PM

Here is the current set of WIP cards! I've also linked them in the second post.

DocBlizz April 8th, 2020 10:13 PM

Me and my 3 boys ought to be able to do some play testing... Should be fun

Pumpkin_King April 8th, 2020 10:56 PM

Fantastic! Let us know!

kevindola April 8th, 2020 11:10 PM

If anyone is interested in a playtesting exchange, I am happy to make a swap. Drop a line in this thread

Also if someone in this group would be interested in running a playtest tournament it might generate more interest. I wont set up the threads or advertise, but I would be happy to generate the games and matchups and sign up googledoc

Pumpkin_King April 8th, 2020 11:44 PM

Thank you kevin. I've passed that along to the aotv channel in the discord.

DocBlizz April 9th, 2020 03:30 PM

Game Reports:

500 Point Army
Map: Mole Hills

Glyphs: Glyph of Knowledge & Glyph of Recall Glyph of Knowledge is good in concept, I feel it might be more useful to make it one where you activate it when stepped on, and you get to look at an order marker immediately.

Army 1:Ozuul, Honored Soul Guides, Tetsuo Tyrell, Blastatrons, & Krav Magra Agents
Army 2:Ukushisa Pride, Estivara, Sylvaris, Velnesh Alphas, Bunak

Which units survived?
All of Army 1 Survived

Army 2 spent too much time focusing on trying to kill heavy hitters and ignoring squad figures

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Team 1 Love how Ozuul powers combo so nice, Love how thematic it is (his arms reach 2 spaces) Tetsuo Neural feels balanced with his overall life being a little higher, also the temporary control feels balanced for the roll chance.
7 of 9 figures were killed with Ozuul attack (once killing 4 at once!)

Team 2
Love the Velnesh Alphas—the shift is great
Ukushisa Pride- feels incomplete perhaps need a 2nd power, like Immolation (Persistent roll of atk dice if adjacent to a figure even if not activated) or something

Fun factor was good.

Game 2
500 Point Army
Glyphs: Glyph of Knowledge & Glyph of Recall

Army 1:Ozuul, Honored Soul Guides, Tetsuo Tyrell, Blastatrons, & Krav Magra Agents
Army 2:Atrixu, Disenekes, Pyria, Erevan Sunshadow, Johnny “Shotgun” Sullivan

Which units survived?
All of Army 1 Survived other than Ozzul (Army 2 needed to focus on killing squads and just avoid Ozzul)

All of Army 2 was eliminated

Team 1 Much the same a game 1, Ozuul feels a little OP can soak up a TON of hits!

Team 2
Needed to use Dienekes Combat Challenge more effectively especially against Ozuul

Never could get Pyria lined up right to use her ability
LOVE Atrixus Frailty Aura…I feel the Demon’s Vunerability spirit 2 was misunderstood (could I use it an put it on an opponents figure? Just any one that is “Unique”) I’m also not familiar with Unique Squads” (Would those be an acceptable target for Atrixus, if so I’m assuming only 1 of the squad figures would die?)

Fun factor was good.

was fun, felt a little frustrated at Ozuul, Id for sure play different next time (I’ll play again tonight) I think he should have his Point value increased to 200 or even 210? Or reduce his HP. He Feels like a better Tor-kul-na who only has 6 life and is 220 HP

I'm interested in how playing Avoid Ozuul will work much like Playing against Krug

Pumpkin_King April 9th, 2020 03:36 PM

Awesome, thank you much!

For the future, Atrixus is meant to be put on any Uniue card, usually your enemy. Squad or hero. Atrixus' spirit doesn't destroy anything, but just reduces the Defense of that card.

DocBlizz April 9th, 2020 04:23 PM

Game 3
500 Point Army
Glyphs: Glyph of Astrid & Glyph of Knowledge

Army 1:Ukushisa Pride, Estivara, Sylvaris, Velnesh Alphas, Bunak
Army 2:Atrixu, Disenekes, Pyria, Erevan Sunshadow, Johnny “Shotgun” Sullivan

Which units survived?

only Sylvaris survived

Team 1 Velnesh Alphas: Shift worked well (Basically used to move +2 move) Ukushisa Pride: First strike was nice so order marker #1 was often on them

Team 2
Dienekes Combat I would prefer Tether would work both if I end movement or if they end movement (not just them) the final battle came down to Dienekes and Sylvaris so it was nearly impossible to get to him.

Got Pyria lined up right this time and was able to hit several units with it.

LOVE Atrixus Frailty Aura…The Demon’s Vunerability spirit 2 I apparently was missreading it...I thought it added 2 wounds not just reduce defensive dice...I think it feels rigth now

DocBlizz April 9th, 2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King (Post 2367073)
Awesome, thank you much!

For the future, Atrixus is meant to be put on any Uniue card, usually your enemy. Squad or hero. Atrixus' spirit doesn't destroy anything, but just reduces the Defense of that card.

I went back and reread it and saw that 🤦*♂️

Pumpkin_King April 9th, 2020 04:28 PM

Hah! No worries! Thank you for testing!

DocBlizz April 10th, 2020 10:34 AM

Game 4
500 Point Army
Glyphs: Glyph of Recall & Glyph of Knowledge

Army 2:Atrixu, Pyria, Sgt. Drake Alexander(110 pt), Kozuke Samurai

Which units survived?

only Sgt. Drake Alexander survived

Team 1 Ozuul, was avoided and so his abilities were not very useful, also the Honored Soul Guides were killed before any Hero units. Tetsuo Tyrell rolled poorly so not Controlling :-(

Team 2
Pyria WRECKED havoc with her twin flame throwers, great positioning allowed her to kill krav agents, and Blastatrons, but also was very useful to hit Tyrell, and Ozuul near the end of the game

Got Pyria lined up right this time and was able to hit several units with it.
Atrixus Frailty Aura actually is starting to feel broken (especially against Krav Agents (we'll be switching teams and Maps after 1 more game) I'm thinking perhaps only have it apply to normal attacks because AOE like Twin Flame Throwers is crazy strong when paired with it.

EDIT misread the card sholdn't be removing the first sheild :-(

Over all game was KINDA close though I let Sgt Drake just hang back and so at the end it was just 1 Krav vs Sgt, with no wounds so it was

flameslayer93 April 10th, 2020 11:09 AM

Just verified with DocBlizz. He was subtracting shields via Frailty Aura even when a solo shield was rolled. He did memtion its still a pretty good combo. :)

DocBlizz April 10th, 2020 11:25 AM

Game 5
500 Point Army
Glyphs: Glyph of Recall & Glyph of Dagmar

Army 1: Velnesh Alphas, Estivara, Ne-gok-sa, Brunak, Sylvaris
Army 2:Ukushisa Pride, Zettian Guards, Tandros Kreel, Ninjas of the Northern wind, & Dienekes

Which units survived?

1 Ninja, and 2 Zettian Guards

Team 1 Shift is really nice

Team 2
Dienekes, was nice and kept figures from being attacked, but then got mind shackeld 1/2 way through the game. 1st strike was super nice to get more move and get into battle quick.

These felt balanced.

DocBlizz April 10th, 2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameslayer93 (Post 2367311)
Just verified with DocBlizz. He was subtracting shields via Frailty Aura even when a solo shield was rolled. He did memtion its still a pretty good combo. :)

Yeah we missed the fact that its MORE than 1 sheild...will remedy going forward

DocBlizz April 10th, 2020 12:09 PM

Game 6
500 Point Army
Glyphs: Glyph of Recall & Glyph of Astrid

Army 1: Ozuul, Honored Soul Guides, Tetsuo Tyrell, Blastatrons, & Krav Magra Agents
Army 2:Ukushisa Pride, Zettian Guards, Tandros Kreel, Ninjas of the Northern wind, & Dienekes

Which units survived?

1 Ninja, and 2 Zettian Guards

Team 1
Finally got to use Honored Soul Guides in a game...worked well. Need to build team better for more synergy with them (right now only Tyrell is the only unit I can bring back)

Team 2
First strike is nice...feels balanced.
Tether was fun to pull squads around for better positioning

DocBlizz April 10th, 2020 02:23 PM

vGame 7
400 Point Army
Map: Ruins of Rennoc
Glyphs: Glyph of Knowledge

Army 1: Theracus, Tetsuo Tyrell, Sgt. Drak Alexander (RotV), Venoc Vipers, Marrow Stingers, Marrow Drudge
Army 2: (RotV) Raelin, Taelord, Izumi Samurai, Ukushisa Pride & Honnored soul-Guides

Which units survived?
Sgt. Drake Alexander, Theracus, Tetsuo, 1 Venoc Viper, 3 Marrow Stingers

Team 1: Tetsuo was carried in by Theracus, and WRECKED Neura overclock +hight took a toll on Raelin, and it was down hill from there. (Never got Mind Jack)

Team 2: Ukushia Pride used First Strike nearly every turn they were alive and deffinately gave them a greater reach and dmg output

Honnored soul-Guides really sucked and havent been used to their potential.

Game was not close at all...Team 1 wrecked team 2

(edit: I missed that he had and extra ~170 points on team 2...still got wrecked)

DocBlizz April 10th, 2020 02:45 PM

Game 8
400 Point Army
Glyphs: Glyph of Knowledge

Army 1: Dienekes, Atrixus, Velnesh Alphas, Blastatrons
Army 2: Ozuul, Pyria, Ne-Gok-Sa

Which units survived?
Ozuul, Pyria, Negoksa,

Team 1: Shift used all the time. Fraillty Aura was nice but not game breaking

Team 2:
Gravity pull and Vortex were fun used as much as possible, Twin Flame thrower was helpful but mostly redundant since I had AOE with Ozuul

Game was not close at all...Team 2 wrecked team 1

DocBlizz April 10th, 2020 03:19 PM

Game 9
400 Point Army
Glyphs: Glyph of Astrid

Army 1: (RotV) Raelin, Brunak, Izumi Samurai, Ukushisa Pride & Honnored soul-Guides
Army 2: Ozuul, Pyria, Ne-Gok-Sa

Which units survived?
Ozuul, Pyria, Ne-gok-sa,

Team 1: First strike all the time Still no last will from honored souls, no one who has played ever felt like it was a benefit to use them just to loose them and loose the other figure they brought in (I feel its balanced as a 50pt unit but it does feel fatalistic, like its intended as a hail Mary, that takes a LOT a set up to work)

Team 2: Gravity pull and Vortex were fun used as much as possible, Twin Flame thrower used a lot...more as even a regular attack because its +1 atk of her normal atk so long as I was in range. (which usualy being in the thick of it she was)

Pumpkin_King April 10th, 2020 04:09 PM

Thanks for all these tests. I'm very interested in the Soul Guide feedback.

Confred April 10th, 2020 07:13 PM

I'll put my cents in to help

Pumpkin_King April 10th, 2020 08:00 PM

Help playtest or design?

Pumpkin_King April 12th, 2020 07:37 PM

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...o=file&id=4991

This is a link to a download for AotV paper standees, ready to print! For those of us who don't have the set.

Confred April 13th, 2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King (Post 2367547)
Help playtest or design?

Design, but both

Pumpkin_King April 13th, 2020 11:02 PM

Awesome! Good to have you on.

All Your Pie April 25th, 2020 08:22 PM

I recommend putting the link to the OHS Playtesting Sheet for AotV in this thread. It has very few units currently, but we'll be working to get that expanded to include anything currently in testing.

flameslayer93 May 3rd, 2020 07:54 AM

Heroes vs Villains!

Things that got tested: Tetsuo (current build with 5 range), Pillar of Har, Glyph of Knoweledge

Map: Castle Mont’ari (Wannok + Knowelegde)

Armies:
LoveElemental:
Tandros Kreel
Moriko
Ana Karithon
Tetsuo Tyrell
Deadeye Dan
Bol

Flameslayer93:
Moltenclaw
Deathwalker 8000
Mindflayer Mastermind
Me-Burq-Sa
Iskra Esenwein

Summary:
My troops were scattered among my startzone, while LE had hers all in the mountain region. I went for Wannok with MBS and started getting the MFM moving right away towards her heroes. She began by moving Tandros, Ana, and Bol closer to my side, ignoring Wannok/Knoweledge. I notice that MBS can hit Deadeye so I ignore the glyph and try to shoot him. It was a whiff. Second round I bounce the marro horsemen away from Deadeye, while she tries to chase him with Deadeye, Be-Burq-Sa got out of LOS just in time. I advance Moltenclaw and put him onto the pillar of har (I remembered this was a mistake by round 3, but it probably makes no difference this game). He tries using his SA, but it flopped. Tandros fires at the dragon and nothing happened. At some point Ana gets adjacent to Tandros and MBS gets to Wannok.

At this stage, when I remember that the pillar is Unstable, I also remember that only Small and Mediums can hop on it, so I put the mighty dragon on the ground adjacent to it.

Tetsuo comes out and actually pulls off a mindjack after overcloaking to inflict 1 wound. So a mindjacked Moltenclaw uses his normal on MFM for 1 wound. Not exactly inspiring, but since its a heroes game my troops are too scattered for the firebreath. Tandros shoots at the dragon, and the dragon keeps trying to deal damage but both are consistently bad at it. Tetsuo tries for another overclock and fails. Moltenclaw swoops in (using all 6 move, I believe), to land a 5-skull hit on Tetso. Tetsuo (with Ana’s defense bonus) only musters 1 shield, killing him. Moltenclaw holds up for a few turns against the broadsword, but ultimately the Ankle Shank takes him out. The MFM gets to the top of the mountain pillar of har, and shoots his psionic blasts down. Tandros knocks him off the pillar (1 wound to the Pillar, 0 to the MFM). I mix my OMs up between the robot, mfm, and marro, trying to find opening for all of them. Wannok is milling out Tandros, but thats irrelevant while Ana is in play. Eventually the MFM goes down, and its time for the robot to fight (finally getting by her figures. In a single turn, he rapid-fire kills Ana, Bol, and 1 hit to Moriko. LE engaged 8k with Tandros and Moriko and tries to kill him. Ultimately Wannok milled Tandros down and 8k wins the day. He rolled against a lot of attacks, going against the grain of the deathwalker curse.

Villains (mostly the glyph of wannok) win! :twisted:

Thoughts and Highlights:
After this game, I’m finally moved to put Tesuo back into editing so he basically gets Enslave instead a wound-to attempt version of BJ.
5 range felt better and the longer range let T try to stay in the Ana Pod longer (although she wasn’t able to heal him because of the d20 and Moltenclaw obliterating him).
After instinctively hopping Moltenclaw onto the Pillar and realizing I had flubbed, I don’t know the best way to remind players that big boys can’t get on it. Although, to be fair I didn’t print any cards off, so Scaling’s power text might also help me and other players remember.
The Pillar actually blocked LOS once this game! :D Sure, it was Ana who was hiding but that does imply they can be relevant LOS blockers in games.
Standing on a Pillar gives a false sense of security to heroes, since it can only inflict 1 wound on them if they fall off it. I appreciate that.
Knowledge was irrelevant this game. LE didn’t go for it, and I didn’t have the man-power to try to hold it. I don’t think LE’s OM plays were deft enough to warrant it this game anyway. That is a dissapointment.

Fun game, and also quite a bit informative.

All Your Pie May 5th, 2020 06:56 PM

Some updates: Velkhor should be added to the OP, Tetsuo removed pending changes to Mind Jack.

Captain Stupendous May 5th, 2020 09:08 PM

Played a game with Velkhor yesterday and just added a summary and thoughts to his thread: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...&postcount=255

Captain Stupendous May 8th, 2020 06:30 PM

Got another game in last night with Velkhor: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...&postcount=258

Captain Stupendous May 9th, 2020 03:36 PM

And another game with Velkhor in which he and Major Q10 destroyed four squads of Shieldsmiths of Granite Keep: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...&postcount=259

flameslayer93 May 16th, 2020 10:49 PM

Played while listening to acapella music...

Played a fairly quick playtest extravaganza with LoveElemental. Not everything is officially in Playtesting yet, but the idea was get a feel for various interactions with some of the proposed builds. Plus, this will help give us a feel about how certain things play.

Map: Castle Mont'ari (glyphs: Recall, Unique Attack +1, Lodin)
The map does feature 3 Pillars of Har.

Armies:
Me:
Deathwalker 9000
Krug
Honored Soulguides
Spoiler Alert!

Marro Warriors (360)

LE:
Pyria
Spoiler Alert!

Arkmer
Velnesh Alphas
Spoiler Alert!

Ukushisa Pride (360)
Spoiler Alert!

I've included the builds tested in the game in the spoiler tags. For the Pillars of Har and Glyph of Recall, I used the current builds listed on the respective OPs.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...458&height=610
(Proxied Feral Troll for Krug, but you can vaguely see the map positions).

I didn't write things down, but the game is fairly fresh in my head.

R1. My init.
I began by moving the Soulguides to stall (keeping them behind the castle walls).
LE moved the Pride into the center of the arena area.
I moved Krug along the road to a spot where only 2 pride could attack him.
LE rushed Krug, only dealing 1 wound off 2 attacks of 6 dice. (Height + 2 Combined Heat dice).
I moved DW forward, and fired at the pillar in the mountain area for no wounds.
LE moved the Velnesh forward, keeping them adjacent.

R2. LE init.
LE's Pride hurt the heck out of Krug, dealing 3 more wounds off 3 attacks (6/5/4 attack dice respectively).
DW killed all three Velnesh with one Explosion SA.
The Pride finished off Krug, same attack pattern.
Krug's turn is skipped.
Pyria approaches, but is well out of range of anything my troops.
Marro Warriors start to raid the Ukushisas, killing 1. One hopped on the pillar that was obnoxiously placed adjacent to my startzone.

R3. LE init.
The Pride swoop in, killing 2 MW's. They each had 4 attack dice, though one was on lower ground.
The Marros plink at the kitties for 0 wounds.
Pyria gets closer to DW9K, but is still too far for the 4A SA. Her attack is easily blocked by 10 defense.
Marros kill 1 more of the Ukushisa.
Arkmer approaches the battlefield.
Burn a soulguide for Krug's card.

R4. My init.
Krug is Last Willed into play (placed adj to DW9k).
Krug's mega-smash turn. With 9A x2, he guts Pyria in one turn (the second hit was 9 skulls).
Game is effectively called, winner me.

Thoughts:

Recall: Neither of us were able to leave our battle locked positions to grab it. We would have had to give up a lot to go for it for either the MWs or the Ukushisa even though both squads wanted it.

Pillars of Har: When I used my big raging robot to attack it because it was "in the way" and useless for its purposes, that felt like a giant theme win. I didn't mind that the attack was ineffective, because of that thematic turn was just too good feeling.
Marro Warriors on them will be scary, but since they probably can't clone while on them, its not as bad as it could be. Plus, since I suspect they usually won't be clustered, it will be even less of an issue.

Pyria: She felt good for cleanup, but Krug just got to her too easily.

Soulguides: There's clearly going to be some army combinations that will just be too much. I don't like overcomplicating things, so any version of LW might end up breaking things too hard... in certain builds. We will certainly need to test the frak out of these guys, because their value is seemingly limitless. But also, they felt like a gamble, because you placed the revived character before OMs get placed.
They will certainly be an issue with the Recall glyph though.

Velnesh: They died too quickly to be relevant this game. I did like how they are inherently weak to SA's, so that gave me a reason to try DW's SA out instead of gunning them one at a time. That counterplay bit will be helpful for the actual MS when these guys be blinking a lot more often.

Ukushisa: These guys were amazingly fun to play against. Remembering all the bonus dice might be difficult, but with only 3 I think most players can manage. This is an excellent package for around 90 points, and gives players a real dimishing rewards feel.
I also like how their adjacency bonus rewards tactical thinking, as most times its better to try to go for 3 attacks, but sometimes you are better served by only doing 2 bigger attacks.
Their move also helps them stay together and cross more difficult terrain, making it feel like essential part of the design rather than just a stat thrown on there for craps and giggles.

Astroking112 May 18th, 2020 05:11 PM

@Pumpkin_King :
The Velnesh Alphas have moved on to testing.
Velkhor should also be listed in the OP as well.

Pumpkin_King May 20th, 2020 04:16 PM

Done and done.

Captain Stupendous May 30th, 2020 10:44 AM

Played a couple games with Velkhor and the Velnesh Alphas last weekend.

Velkhor and Velnesh: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...&postcount=294

Velnesh: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...&postcount=295