Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Wong (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=48375)

Skeeter700 May 5th, 2013 04:15 PM

The Book of Wong

The Book of Wong

C3G MARVEL PUBLIC EXCLUSIVE COLLECTION 12
DEATH AND DECEPTION

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...Wong_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/..._Wong_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from The Amazing Spider-Man set.
Its model number and name are #023 / Wong.

Character Bio - Wong is a decendant of Kan, a monk who tried to atone for past wrong doings by dedicating his life to the service of mystics who served the forces of good. Kan further promised that his first-born male descendants would continue such service. As one of these first born males, Wong, from childhood, was dedicated in service to The Ancient One. He spent his childhood learning about sorcery and martial arts in a remote monastery. Upon reaching adulthood, the Ancient One sent Wong to serve his disciple Steven Strange. Since then Wong has loyally served Dr. Strange as he continues his fight for the forces of good.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • Q: If Wong uses Kan's Oath to take the damage instead of his master would he take the full damage rolled or the single wound that the master would take since that figure would have the Magical Defense special power.
  • A: Wong would take all the damage. It's a matter of order of powers. When the master takes the wounds, the wounds are reduced to 1 wound because of Magical Defense. But since Ken's Oath triggers before this occurs, they haven't been mitigated down to 1 wound yet.

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Skeeter700 May 5th, 2013 04:16 PM

Re: The Book of Wong (Design Phase)

NAME = WONG

SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = MONK
PERSONALITY = LOYAL

SIZE/HEIGHT = Medium 5

LIFE = 4

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 4

POINTS = 90

LOYAL MANSERVANT
At the start of the game, choose a Human figure with the Magical Defense special power that you control to be Wong's Master. After revealing an Order Marker on his Master's Army Card and before taking a turn with his Master, you may first take a turn with Wong, and you may not take any additional turns with other figures you control other than his Master. When Wong and his Master are adjacent, both add 1 extra die to their normal attack.

KAN'S OATH
Anytime Wong is adjacent to his Master and Wong's Master rolls defense dice against an attack, before using any other special power, you may choose to have Wong immediately receive all wounds from the attack instead of his Master.

Spoiler Alert!

Skeeter700 May 5th, 2013 04:16 PM

Possible Mini Art

Possible Comic Art

Skeeter700 May 5th, 2013 04:17 PM

This is very exciting to be LDing my first design!

Here's where my head was at when I came up with this Wong right-up:

Overall - Wong debuted in 1963. Like many other 50 year old characters, he has gone through more than one variation. The Wong I tried to represent was the one I read about in my favorite Dr. Stange story: The Oath (minus the brain tumor).

Stats - The Marvel Directory states the following:
*Strength Level: Wong possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise.
*Known Superhuman Powers: None
*Other Abilities: Wong is an expert in the martial arts of Kamar-Taj, although he has rarely used them in recent years. Hence, although Wong can overpower many adversaries, he is no longer a match for a master of the martial arts who keeps himself at or near peak condition.

Special Powers:
I don't think either of the two powers are very complicated, but here's where my head is at:

* Loyal Manservant - When I originally designed Wong, this power specifically referenced Dr. Strange (a la Bob & Deadpool). However, it seemed that Wong would be more draftable if he was linked to The Magical Defense Special Power instead. I had thought about adding sight or distance limitations, but opted for the simplicity of the current power.

* Kan's Oath - Again a pretty straight forward power. Wong is prepared to 'take a bullet' for Strange so this power allows that to happen. I had thought about forcing Wong to take the wounds (sort of a counter to the attack boost of Loyal Manservant) and to represent the theme of Wong taking a bullet regardless of what Strange would want. However, I thought this might make Wong too easy to destroy given his fairly low stats.

I guess that's it for now. I hope I've set this thread up correctly and would be grateful to any advice on how to improve what is currently here.

From what I understand the next 48 hours are for spit-balling ideas, suggestions & questions. I'll be checking in regularly if you have any questions for me.

Thanks again in advance for your input. I'm really looking forward to getting Wong in the game.

TrollBrute May 5th, 2013 05:04 PM

Thread looks good! I'm sure you already have, but just in case you haven't, make sure to send the Heroes a PM to let them know.

The only worry I might have would be essentially giving his chosen hero an extra 4 lives, but, especially with the Order Markers on his card, he'll likely be taking the attacks. Similar to how Bizarro and Jocasta often play. I don't think it'll be too strong.

Overall, simple but solid and I think that works, both mechanically and thematically. He can work both as a forward shield for his hero, rushing forward to get in some attacks, or hanging back and keeping his hero alive. He'll also be fun with Enchantress.

Arkham May 5th, 2013 05:08 PM

Just gonna throw my 2 cents in.

I like the initial design. Sort of insurance for a figure with Magical Defense, as if they need insurance. lol It's fitting of the character though, so it works. I don't have much to add in terms of specials as of now, but right off the bat, i'd say his point value would likely best fit somewhere in the range of 90-130. Low range, low attack, mediocre life and defense, and is mainly just there as support, which even then, isn't too strong. I think that point value range is fitting.

You are investing in getting a couple of double turns using him and a figure with magical defense, and he can take up to 4 hits for them, but if he's targetted, he won't last long. So he poses as a distraction.

Just my initial impression.

Skeeter700 May 5th, 2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrollBrute (Post 1810177)
Thread looks good! I'm sure you already have, but just in case you haven't, make sure to send the Heroes a PM to let them know.

Yes - PMs have been sent.

Thanks for all your support & advice (especially in the Nominations thread) TrollBrute - it is much appreciated!

Hahma May 5th, 2013 05:24 PM

Looking good and pretty straight forward. :)

IAmBatman May 5th, 2013 05:24 PM

Looks pretty straightforward to me. He's a damage soak for magic users who does them the courtesy of walking around with them. :-) I'd theoryscape him at somewhere around 100 points. Playtesting will help with that, though.

I'm cool with the current power set as is.

quozl May 5th, 2013 06:04 PM

I'd drop the attack boost personally but that's up to you. It'd help keep him cheap.

TrollBrute May 5th, 2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeeter700 (Post 1810182)
Yes - PMs have been sent.

Awesome! :up:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeeter700 (Post 1810182)
Thanks for all your support & advice (especially in the Nominations thread) TrollBrute - it is much appreciated!

No problem. :) It hasn't been all that long for me, I know how exciting -and intimidating- that first LD can be.

johnny139 May 5th, 2013 07:05 PM

I was going to say it was odd for him to be working with any Magical Defense user... but research says Dormammu was a candidate for Sorcerer Supreme for a while, so evidently their standards for the job are pretty low. :p I still find it odd that the Order Marker goes on his card, but it's probably better mechanically that way.

I'd kind of prefer "Monk" to "Manservant" for his class... would he be a good candidate for Stealth Leap, by the way? I know he's "standard human" but I think it'd be a cool link to the classic Monks. :shrug: