Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   TV (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   TV: What Are You Watching? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=27342)

RichardD February 3rd, 2011 02:48 PM

Re: TV: What Are You Watching?

The best British sitcom of the past ten years was Coupling.Written by the chap that has gone on to write almost all of the best new Doctor Who episodes, and starring several people who have gone on to bigger and better things, some of the episodes had me rolling around on the floor crying with laughter. Especially the Israeli visitor episode. Best described as being like Friends, only a lot edgier and much, much funnier (for the record, I wasn't a fan of friends).

Most of the British sitcoms that have been remade for the US were funnier in their original format, but Coupling never got picked up by the US networks - probably because it was too edgy and too much like Friends in terms of the makeup of the cast and the two or three key locations. Your loss, I'm afraid.

Right now I'm watching Hellcats (OK, so it's aimed at teenage girls, so sue me; I like the way it's written - any show that directly references the Star Trek Kobayashi Maru problem deserves a serious amount of credit), House (yes, it's Sherlock Holmes in a hospital; no, they won't cure the patient until House has a eureka moment ten minutes from the end; yes, any risky procedure attempted halfway through the show is only going to make things worse; but for all its faults, I like it and Hugh Laurie has *always* been good, whatever he's been in), ad Hawaii 5-0 (mostly because they had the very good sense to keep the original theme music, and Grace Park is very easy on the eyes). And the latest series of Spartacus has started on cable too (again, it's not big and it's not clever, but I'm enjoying it - even the bits where Jaime Murray keeps her top on, but hopefully they will keep those bits to a minimum).

jschild February 13th, 2011 08:26 PM

Nova ScienceNow - love Neil Degrasse Tyson and the dog in that episode was amazing. Especially when you can see it struggling to reason out which stuffed animal he wanted. Amazing stuff.

flameslayer93 February 13th, 2011 10:06 PM

The Grammies:p

Kaemon Awa 123 February 14th, 2011 05:57 PM

Seeing as we just got Netflix, I'm slooowly working my way through the 1st season of Psyche (awesome show BTW) working my way up to episode 8 which has Orm's Return in it!!!

nate the dawg February 14th, 2011 08:07 PM

Just finished my daily DVR'd Jeopardy and WoF, so I'm getting ready to sit down and watch my wife's new fave, The Cape. It's cheesy, but pretty good....and you don't have to try very hard to fill the gap that was left when Heroes was (finally) cancelled.

delphic February 14th, 2011 08:20 PM

The Outcasts - Australian Sci-Fi

Great Show about colonists from earth arriving and surviving on a new planet.

More Drama than Action but a good story and solid characters.

Cheers,

Delphic

Ninja Dust February 14th, 2011 08:54 PM

I've been watching Codename Kids Next Door. Its a show on Cartoon Network.

Jormi_Boced February 14th, 2011 09:07 PM

Watching Wesminster Dog Show right now.

Ninja Dust February 15th, 2011 02:45 PM

I have been watching Bizarre Food on the travel channel.

chas February 22nd, 2011 07:47 AM

8) Anime Channel on Time Warner, (Cutting Edge On Demand Channel 1021 here in New York). For free. Reloads every Wednesday at midnight.

pjnormandin March 1st, 2011 10:47 PM

Hi,
I have been watching the original True Grit. I have never seen it before today. It's got about 15 minutes left. Pretty good movie, and that's coming from someone who has not seen more than 5 John Wayne movies.
~P

Chardar March 1st, 2011 10:53 PM

After working at it for more than a year I have finally watched the entire X-Files series from beginning to end. Honestly I wish that I'd stopped two episodes earlier, the ending was kind of disappointing.

Although they do make for some very interesting Heroscape customs.

Lord Pyre March 2nd, 2011 12:20 AM

I've been watching Dexter season 1. At first all the gore and language was kind of turning me away, but the storyline is just so good (And I love serial killer fiction. :p ). The language has toned down a bit, fortunately, though. Though the sister's mouth is REALLY annoying, haha!

lefton4ya March 2nd, 2011 01:32 AM

Just finished watching "Wonder Falls". Really wierd, kinda funny, very entertaining, really irreverant. Inanimate anthropomorphic plastic and stuffed animals talk to her and tell her ambiguous directons like "get her words out" or "give him heart" and she "surrenders to destiny" or is "fates b!tch". Kinda like mixing My Name Is Earl with Touched By An Angel or Early Edition. There is a will-they-wont-they sappy romance, but a lot of the show is totally unexpected to the point where you are waiting for "the reveal" to either be the obvious lead-up or the most unlikey situation. 13 episodes, only 4 of which aired. I give 8 stars but I am a harsh critic, and it looses 2 points for being too irreverent.

Arrow Grut March 13th, 2011 08:30 PM

As stated in my sig, I can proudly (or not so proudly) say that I've watched every episode of the Office ever. I need to get a life!

Lord Pyre March 13th, 2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Pyre (Post 1354914)
I've been watching Dexter season 1. At first all the gore and language was kind of turning me away, but the storyline is just so good (And I love serial killer fiction. :p ). The language has toned down a bit, fortunately, though. Though the sister's mouth is REALLY annoying, haha!

Finishes season 2. I've never gotten into a TV show like I have this one. Pretty darned good!

Neo March 13th, 2011 09:42 PM

The X-Files
Torchwood
Doctor Who

ollie March 18th, 2011 07:01 PM

We've started up Boston Legal again from the first season. I love that show.

'Scaper94 March 19th, 2011 01:06 AM

I've been watching Hey Arnold and Bugs Bunny on youtube lately...

Ninja Dust March 19th, 2011 12:22 PM

I have been watching Big Bang Theory.

NecroBlade April 11th, 2011 10:13 AM

Been watching Rome a couple episodes a night. WOW is it good!

KRUG! April 11th, 2011 11:03 AM

Watching Big Bang Theory, Chuck. Recently started watching How I Met Your Mother, catching a couple episodes a night from the begining. Been watching The Killing on AMC, pretty good stuff. Cannot wait for The Walking Dead to return!

Kepler April 11th, 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Pyre (Post 1364209)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Pyre (Post 1354914)

Finishes season 2. I've never gotten into a TV show like I have this one. Pretty darned good!

I am about halfway through season 4. Love this show.

Kepler April 11th, 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NecroBlade (Post 1382952)

I loved this show. I wish it had lasted longer.

Balantai April 11th, 2011 03:29 PM

I've been heavily addicted to Destination Truth recently.

Yodaking April 12th, 2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kepler (Post 1383037)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NecroBlade (Post 1382952)

I loved this show. I wish it had lasted longer.

Big fan of Rome, last thing I heard they were planning on making one more addition to the series. It would not be a full season 3, just a miniseries or long movie style event. That might have been tabled yet again though so don't quote me on it. The Spartacus shows by Starz network are a nice addition to that world though.

Jormi_Boced April 12th, 2011 09:47 AM

I have been watching Chuck

mac122 April 12th, 2011 11:35 AM

I've been watching Top Shot on the History Channel. However, I wait until it's been recorded to the DVR so I can skip through the boring conversation in the house, and only watch the practice, competetion, and elimination portions.

Also, Mythbusters started back up. They had a fun one the other night where a special effects company made pull-over masks of Adam and Jamie so the guys could see if the old Mission Impossible schtick would work - Adam wore a Jamie mask and vice versa.

Jormi_Boced April 12th, 2011 04:22 PM

Who else is going to be watching A Game of Thrones on Sunday?

stubobj April 12th, 2011 05:02 PM

Ive keep checking on it each time you post on Facebook. Ive never read A Song of Ice and Fire but I do plan on checking this out. Just not sure when since I dont have cable.

Jormi_Boced April 12th, 2011 05:07 PM

One of my friends is coming over to watch it at my place since he doesn't have HBO. You should really check the books out from your local library and give them a read. They are well worth it!

chas May 2nd, 2011 08:10 PM

;) I don't have HBO, but often get DVDs of their series which prove to be winners--like Best of the Larry Sanders Show, Rome, and Deadwood. I've never read the series Fire and Ice, but after just reading most of the first volume (A Game of Thrones), I went out and bought the other three! The story is good...real good!

8) In the meantime, hooray for anything with Sean Bean in it...he is, as he once said in a commercial, "Sharpe as ever."

Utger man May 7th, 2011 09:54 PM

As I post I am watching Justice league The Enemy below.
And it is awsome.

Jormi_Boced May 7th, 2011 10:36 PM

Parking Wars

jbbnbsmith May 8th, 2011 12:46 AM

SNL.

Kepler May 8th, 2011 07:28 AM

I have been watching Game of Thrones and The Event. I am waiting for season 5 of Dexter to hit DVD.

ABOMINATION May 18th, 2011 12:00 PM

I've been watching Futurama on Netflix. Really great show, and I love the witty humor. Too bad that it went off the air.

~ABOM, wondering if the show will ever come back...I mean, they did recently make four Futurama movies.

A_Train May 18th, 2011 12:18 PM

Game of Thrones on HBO, that show is Fen-ominal.

nyys May 18th, 2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABOMINATION (Post 1405852)
I've been watching Futurama on Netflix. Really great show, and I love the witty humor. Too bad that it went off the air.

~ABOM, wondering if the show will ever come back...I mean, they did recently make four Futurama movies.

I thought Futurama was back on Comedy Central with new episodes, or did it get cancelled again already?

TheSparkleInYourWater May 18th, 2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyys (Post 1405936)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABOMINATION (Post 1405852)

I thought Futurama was back on Comedy Central with new episodes, or did it get cancelled again already?

They had a new season last year, 12 or 13 episodes. This year's season premiere is June 23. They've confirmed another season as well, to be split in two parts for 2012/2013.

jschild May 18th, 2011 01:58 PM

Yeah, in fact, the entire first Comedy Central season is on Netflix now as well.

Ninja Dust May 30th, 2011 10:17 AM

I am watching Inavader ZIM. I am still kinda mad that nicktoons doesn't air any new episodes but a new dvd of Invader ZIM came out a couple of months ago called Operation Doom. They said that if people buy a lot of the disk they will air it back on tv. But they still have the old ones of tv.

Utger man June 2nd, 2011 09:48 PM

I like Invader Zim.

'Scaper94 June 2nd, 2011 10:40 PM

I've been watching Angel Beats on youtube the last few days. It's a Japanese/Anime show, with some blood/violence and swearing, but it's not horrible. I absolutely loved the storyline. There were so many plot twists in those 13 episodes. The ending was depressing, but the last 30 seconds were important. If you can stand listening to Japanese, reading in English, and watching the action all at once, I recommend watching it on youtube.

lefton4ya June 9th, 2011 06:30 PM

I realized my favorite shows and moveies of all time are a combination of action, comedy and serious drama (romantic, suspense/mystery, and/or coming of age). A few shows or movies are 2 of the three (dramedy, action/comedy, action/drama) but very few do all three well.

Examples of my some of my fav movies with this: Princess Bride, Back to the Future I-III, The Three Musketeers (Disney live action), Get Shorty, Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow, "stupid thief heist movies" such as Welcome to Colinwood, the Whole 9 Yards & Ladykillers, Pirates of the Carrabean (1 only), MIB, Mars Attacks, Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz, every Pixar movie, every Bruce Cambell movie after Evil Dead.

Examples of my some of my fav TV shows with this: Star Trek DS9, Firefly, Monk, Psych, Chuck, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, any Bruce Cambell show.

There has to be more! Anyone know of any GOOD shows or movies present or past with the ultimate genre trio of action, comedy, and drama?

ollie June 9th, 2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefton4ya (Post 1420225)
There has to be more! Anyone know of any GOOD shows or movies present or past with the ultimate genre trio of action, comedy, and drama?

We're currently working through Season 3 of Deadwood. That might fit the bill.

A British sci-fi trio that I think fit too: Primeval (though I know people who would argue with the "good" criterion), Doctor Who (a good balance of the three) and Red Dwarf (heavier on the comedy than the others).

cavebehr June 9th, 2011 06:47 PM

If you have never seen it and even if you have, Serial Mom one of the best dark comedys I have seen in decades, also loosely based on some real facts. Also Sordid Lives.

ABOMINATION June 9th, 2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefton4ya (Post 1420225)

I'd try Archer if you're looking for comedy and action, but it might be a bit sparse on the drama bit.

Just watched the latest South Park...dang, I hope it doesn't end after this season. :(

~ABOM,
Spoiler Alert!