Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Takanuva July 14th, 2010 02:20 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1143384)
Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1143365)
If we design multiple characters from the same series, we could also sub-group them based on that series.

In addition, characters from movies or television based on literature should be in the literature section.

I don't know about that. Often the characters from movies are nothing like the characters from the book. Take VanHelsing for example. The only resemblance of Hugh Jackman's character to Bram Stoker's character is that they both hunted Dracula.

Some leeway is fine but if the characters are totally dissimilar (as in the above example) I think we should keep them separate.

Just my :2cents:
</IMG>

We could always have different cards for the same figure, as people in fiction tend to change alot. (Ie:In Star Wars, Anakin as a padawan is completely different than Darth Vader, but they are the same character)

Lamaclown July 14th, 2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takanuva (Post 1143522)
We could always have different cards for the same figure, as people in fiction tend to change alot. (Ie:In Star Wars, Anakin as a padawan is completely different than Darth Vader, but they are the same character)

That would work fine to me. That way if someone wanted to do a Jackman VanHelsing someone else could still do a Stoker VanHelsing (that is just the most extreme example that comes to mind).

We'll have to see what the consensus is on that.

machinekng July 14th, 2010 02:48 PM

So, how long until we start?

Hrockle July 14th, 2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

That's fine with me.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1143512)
I would be interested in doing a character. Possibilities I'm interested in: The Kids from the D&D cartoon, Spellsinger, Papa Smurf

Welcome aboard.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1143518)
Another question. If asupporter doesn't have the time to make a card when his postion in the rotation comes up, could he pass, or delay his turn?

I'd prefer a pass to a delay, but that's definitely allowed.

Lamaclown July 14th, 2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1143558)
So, how long until we start?

Well, we still haven't really discussed much what Balantai said here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1142147)
There are a couple of items that would need discussion, though.
  • Should these cards be on Vahallascape or Marvelscape skins?
  • Is a miniature required?
  • Will they use movie, tv, video game art or will they use miniature photo?

We got kind of sidetracked in our excitement. A couple of people gave input but I don't know if those issues have actually been settled on.

EDIT: I guess I could give my input on those things:
1. I would lean toward Valhallascape but I am fine either way.
2. I definitely think having a recommended mini is preferable even if we don't use its pic on the card.
3. If we have a decent photograph of the mini that would be great since some characters may not have much to go on as far as artwork. Whichever we decide on I think it is important to maintain consistency in presentation (I like how C3G has cards using each).

Hrockle July 14th, 2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

1. Valhallascape, it's more fun with the generals.
  2. Not required, but it would be nice.
  3. Any is fine.
My :2cents:

machinekng July 14th, 2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Returning to the issues.

1. For the most part, I think it should be up to the designer. Personally (assuming I merge my attempt at a Wheel of Time customs project with this thread) I want to make custom factions cards for some of my customs.

2. If a miniature of the character is found, it should be featured. If not, a couple of proxies could be found. If anyone knows a good place to look for proxy miniatures, Balanti could add it to the first post.

3. If the miniature is found, both could be used. If not, the art should be used to open up room for proxies. As for the hitzones, I believe common sense could be used easily (no targeting weapons and clothing that stick out from the character.)

Balantai July 14th, 2010 03:13 PM

I have updated the first post with the below ruleset. Any thoughts?

Phase 1: Designer Chooses Character
Initial post should contain:
Character's name.
What fictional genre the character is from. I.E. Movie: Star Wars, Literature: Harry Potter, Television: Transformers, etc.
What miniature you will be using.
A short description of the character or link to a description.
Any specific direction you're looking to take the character.

Phase 2: Brainstorming Stage
Anyone from the community is welcome to give ideas for the chosen character. These do not have to be specific Special Powers, but instead could be specific aspects of the chosen character you'd like to see represented on the card. For instance, if Darth Vader is the chosen figure, I might say that I'd like to see his ability to Force Choke somewhere on the card. I'd also like to see his ability to ignore ranged attacks represented. Keep in mind, none of your suggestions need to be embraced by the designer. This is purely done to give the designer ideas. This doesn't mean that you can't offer specific Special Powers. If you have an idea for a specific Special Power that would work well with the chosen figure, please post that idea.

Phase 3: Draft Stage
Once the designer feels he has enough info to start creating a card, he may post his first draft. The lead designer must wait at least 24 hours before advancing to stage 3 from stage 2. This will ensure that everyone gets to post what they feel should be included on that character's card. During the Draft Stage, all aspects of the card should be discussed including stats, Special Powers, cost and power wording.

Phase 4: Voting Stage
When the designer feels that the card is ready for creation, he may propose to finalize the card. To finalize the card, there needs to be approval (thumbs up) from a majority of the active designers. After the card is finalized, the next designer in order is activated and the process resets.

Granite-M July 14th, 2010 03:15 PM

1. I'm also in favor of Valhalla-style cards.

2. I would give priority to units with figures, or with decent approximations. For example, there's a Star Wars mini that I think looks like Robocop: Galactic Alliance Trooper #32. I don't think we should be exclusive, but having a reasonable mini is a pretty good point in favor of a custom.

EDIT: Also, call me old-fashioned but I'd prefer that we keep to customs that haven't already been covered in one of the other customs projects. No need to have even more multiples running around, especially when that time and energy could be spent on making originals.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

• I have contacted A3n about possibly creating a Vahallascape template. If he has one or is willing to create one, I think this will be our best fit. I think most of us would like to see this. If he is unable, we'll use Marvelscape backing.
  • I think a miniature should be required. Even if it's just a proxy miniature that slightly resembles the character.
  • I think a miniature photo will be ideal since we are leaning towards Vahallascape.
On a side note, no symbols. :twisted:

mac122 July 14th, 2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granite-M (Post 1143608)

2. I would give priority to units with figures, or with decent approximations. For example, there's a Star Wars mini that I think looks like Robocop: Galactic Alliance Trooper #32. I don't think we should be exclusive, but having a reasonable mini is a pretty good point in favor of a custom.

EDIT: Also, call me old-fashioned but I'd prefer that we keep to customs that haven't already been covered in one of the other customs projects. No need to have even more multiples running around, especially when that time and energy could be spent on making originals.

That figure would be close enough for me. We're not going to find exact figures for every character, we just need to have a reasonable facsimile.

JC McMinis July 14th, 2010 03:24 PM

1)I also agree with Valhalla 'Scape.
2)It should have some form of a mini even if its a picture of the character printed on cardstock, standing in a candy land base. and its semi to scale.
3)If an appropriate mini is found then we could use a mini pic, though I prefer artwork pics myself. But if the mini you plan on useing is just a proxie then go artwork.

My first entry I have actually hade made for a while, but as Balantai said earlier I can use it as long as I dont mind criticism and making changes if necessary.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

That is awesome. I can't wait until we do Robocop. :D

Quote:

I completely understand where you're coming from, but I don't see any harm with reenvisioning a character that's already been created. If I start to put limits on what can and can't be created, it'll start to get messy. Do I say no Star Wars, no Comic Book and no D&D? What if someone wants to create Hellboy? He's a comic book character. Or what if someone want to create Drizzt? He's an awesome literature character that might have multiple options, but has never been created in a collaborative effort. In an effort to avoid all of these instances, opening it up to all fictional characters is, IMO, the fairest option.

machinekng July 14th, 2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1143616)

In that case, no Wheel of Time for me. I had wanted to make Saidin, Saidar symbols, but I guess I'll do that somewhere else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1143631)
I completely understand where you're coming from, but I don't see any harm with reenvisioning a character that's already been created. If I start to put limits on what can and can't be created, it'll start to get messy. Do I say no Star Wars, no Comic Book and no D&D? What if someone wants to create Hellboy? He's a comic book character. Or what if someone want to create Drizzt? He's an awesome literature character that might have multiple options, but has never been created in a collaborative effort. In an effort to avoid all of these instances, opening it up to all fictional characters is, IMO, the fairest option.

I think we should stick to characters that have no offical version. If no other offical/semi-offical project has made it, it's fair game.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1143632)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1143616)

In that case, no Wheel of Time for me. I had wanted to make Saidin, Saidar symbols, but I guess I'll do that somewhere else.

I really want this project to be completely compatible with traditional Heroscape. As soon as we deviate from that equalibrium, we start to lose people. I know Marvelscape has the Superstrength symbol and C3G has the Flying Symbol, but until Vahallascaple uses them, I'd like to refrain.

dfonse July 14th, 2010 03:28 PM

I am interested. I can not make custom cards but I may be able to get figures but I am not positive. I would like to make

Character's name. Ezio Auditore
What fictional genre the character is from. Video game: Assassin's Creed 2 and 3
What miniature you will be using. Arkmar painted white and given a sword.
A short description of the character or link to a description. http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki...ore_da_Firenze
Any specific direction you're looking to take the character. As a Jandar assassin with the ability to silent kill.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1143630)
2)It should have some form of a mini even if its a picture of the character printed on cardstock, standing in a candy land base. and its semi to scale.
3)If an appropriate mini is found then we could use a mini pic, though I prefer artwork pics myself. But if the mini you plan on useing is just a proxie then go artwork.

My first entry I have actually hade made for a while, but as Balantai said earlier I can use it as long as I dont mind criticism and making changes if necessary.

I moved you to the top of the list, jcmcminis. Once we get everything hashed out, you can be our guinney pig. :twisted:

Balantai July 14th, 2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfonse (Post 1143636)
I am interested. I can not make custom cards but I may be able to get figures but I am not positive. I would like to make

What fictional genre the character is from. Video game: Assassin's Creed 2 and 3
A short description of the character or link to a description. http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki...ore_da_Firenze
Any specific direction you're looking to take the character. As a Jandar assassin with the ability to silent kill.

Welcome aboard, dfonse. We're going to do this round robin style. I'll add your name to the bottom of the list. Once we get through the people above you, you'll get a chance at creating Ezio Auditore!

machinekng July 14th, 2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfonse (Post 1143636)

Okay, but we haven't started design yet. Also, we're taking turns (rotation on first post). I'm sure Balantai would put you in. As for the figure, we're looking more for avaible premade figures, and less for moded figures (although I see the resemblance.)

Balantai July 14th, 2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1143645)
...we're looking more for avaible premade figures, and less for moded figures (although I see the resemblance.)

This is a good point. Let's try to use figures that alread exist. If you want to create a modded figure, that's fine for your custom games, but on the card, let's have use a figure that could be found.

dfonse July 14th, 2010 03:41 PM

Cool but, what figure is being made now?

Balantai July 14th, 2010 03:42 PM

Important Note

In order to get your chance to design, you will need to be an active participator in this thread. That doesn't mean 10 posts per day. It doesn't mean you need to post every day, either. It just means that you contribute regularly in a positive manner. I'll be the judge, jury and executioner when it comes down to deciding who gets skipped/removed.

JC McMinis July 14th, 2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1143640)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1143630)

I moved you to the top of the list, jcmcminis. Once we get everything hashed out, you can be our guinney pig. :twisted:

Cool

Balantai July 14th, 2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfonse (Post 1143662)
Cool but, what figure is being made now?

jcmcminis will be posting first as soon as we get all the rules hashed out. We're really close.

Hrockle July 14th, 2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1143669)
jcmcminis will be posting first as soon as we get all the rules hashed out. We're really close.

What else needs to be clarified?

machinekng July 14th, 2010 04:03 PM

Okay, we've pretty much agreed on Vahallascape, agreed on no symbols, agreed on the genre thing. I think all we need to clarify is the pics.

Hidicul July 14th, 2010 04:07 PM

I'd like to join in Balantai. I do have a question though on moded figs, what if th mod is a simple paint job like I did for Bizzarnage? All I did was add a couple of coats of white paint to a spare Venom. I think that simple paint jobs should be ok since they don't require any real talent to do. As far as card skins, GreyOwl has the General logos as .pnig files on his page, so any card skin could be used and just add the General's logo. That would allow the usage of all those cool card skins that GO has made and put on his page for us to use. I'm glad A3N is up to making the final cards, he is great at it, as is GO. As a side note on usable minis, I would suggest staying away from Reaper minis. They look great but some of them are pretty pricey and theycome unpainted.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hidicul (Post 1143701)
I'd like to join in Balantai. I do have a question though on moded figs, what if th mod is a simple paint job like I did for Bizzarnage? All I did was add a couple of coats of white paint to a spare Venom. I think that simple paint jobs should be ok since they don't require any real talent to do. As far as card skins, GreyOwl has the General logos as .pnig files on his page, so any card skin could be used and just add the General's logo. That would allow the usage of all those cool card skins that GO has made and put on his page for us to use. I'm glad A3N is up to making the final cards, he is great at it, as is GO. As a side note on usable minis, I would suggest staying away from Reaper minis. They look great but some of them are pretty pricey and theycome unpainted.

Welcome aboard.

I'm not sure we need to limit the minis based on cost. If you can't afford the mini, you could always proxy. For instance, a 5 dollar mini online is considered too pricey for my blood, but it might be completely feasible for someone else. I don't think we need to draw a line in the sand over this.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1143694)
Okay, we've pretty much agreed on Vahallascape, agreed on no symbols, agreed on the genre thing. I think all we need to clarify is the pics.

I really think mini pics will be necessary for them to look "official". I have no objection, though, to having both mini and photo cards.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrockle (Post 1143674)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1143669)

What else needs to be clarified?

What's pictured in your avatar could use some clarification. :twisted:

Balantai July 14th, 2010 04:24 PM

Okay. I'm going to open up our first design to jcmcminis. Please reference the first post to see how to post your initial character.

As we go through the process, we can update our ruleset based on how everything goes. I look forward to your first pick, jc.

Hidicul July 14th, 2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1143714)
Quote:

Welcome aboard.

I'm not sure we need to limit the minis based on cost. If you can't afford the mini, you could always proxy. For instance, a 5 dollar mini online is considered too pricey for my blood, but it might be completely feasible for someone else. I don't think we need to draw a line in the sand over this.

I base my choice ofnotusing Reaper minis on the fact that they come unpainted. With the cost to get the paints to use (acryllic dosen't cut it) and the price of the minis themselves, I just don't see it as cost effective, but I agree that itis up to the designer.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hidicul (Post 1143734)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1143714)
Quote:

Welcome aboard.

I base my choice ofnotusing Reaper minis on the fact that they come unpainted. With the cost to get the paints to use (acryllic dosen't cut it) and the price of the minis themselves, I just don't see it as cost effective, but I agree that itis up to the designer.

I agree, hidicul. And it's why I probably won't ever choose a character that would require me to go out and purchase a 20 dollar mini. But I certainly don't want to punish someone that had an expensive mini and wants to use it.

SirGalahad July 14th, 2010 04:32 PM

I'm going to stay back for a while and work on the C3G and Star Trek stuff for a while, but I'd like to be considered down the road. Would that be acceptable?

Balantai July 14th, 2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1143749)
I'm going to stay back for a while and work on the C3G and Star Trek stuff for a while, but I'd like to be considered down the road. Would that be acceptable?

Absolutely, SirGalahad. Contribute as much or as little as you'd like. If you decide you want a chance at designing, just let me know. We'll throw you in the rotation. I'm not looking to have this be a group with a limited number of designers. If you participate in the thread, you can design.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 04:39 PM

There's one topic I've been avoiding: Playtesting. Playtesting has a way of killing projects. What's everyone's thoughts on playtesting?

machinekng July 14th, 2010 04:43 PM

3 one on one (unit versus 3 different figures/squads with similar points.)

3 500 point army matches (with the custom in one of the armies)

everybody could sign up to do one or two matches.

Hidicul July 14th, 2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1143781)

I could agree with that, though I'm not sure we would get a good enough feel for the character with only 5 being done. I think something close to what C3G does would be better. Those tests, though probably not as extinsive as the official units get, lets us get a good feel for the card and gives us a better look at the point cost.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

C3G has created a fantastic playtesting form that even Gbob has said is great. If we move forward with playtesting, we'll use that process.

If we force everyone to sign up and playtest, the project will likely fail. Many people don't have the time or interest in playtesting. If everyone has to playtest, it's going to feel like work. That's not what I'm looking for.

Hidicul July 14th, 2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1143798)
Quote:

C3G has created a fantastic playtesting form that even Gbob has said is great. If we move forward with playtesting, we'll use that process.

If we force everyone to sign up and playtest, the project will likely fail. Many people don't have the time or interest in playtesting. If everyone has to playtest, it's going to feel like work. That's not what I'm looking for.

I can run the playtests Balantia. I think with me running one for each figure, we could just see if anyone else would be intrested to run a playtest at the time, or I could possably run a second one using all different figures.

Hrockle July 14th, 2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you can link that form?

What if we had a separate set of people who enjoy playtesting to playtest cards, or just allow onlookers to playtest?

Hidicul July 14th, 2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrockle (Post 1143804)
Quote:

What if we had a separate set of people who enjoy playtesting to playtest cards, or just allow onlookers to playtest?

All you need to do is go to the C3G playtest thread and click on the link there for a blank one, although I think we should ask Bats if he minds us using that sheet. You want me shoot him question about that Balantia?

Balantai July 14th, 2010 04:55 PM

I will playtest when I have time, but that doesn't happen too often. :?

SirGalahad July 14th, 2010 04:55 PM

Playtesters would have to agree to honor the die results, no matter what. If they believe the playtests might have been less than valid because of quirky dice, they are welcome to redo them, but report all results. I have playtested a number of figures, and that's the way it seems to work. Getting one-shot is no fun, so running the test again helps to ensure that it was just a fluke and not that something is wrong with the design.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hidicul (Post 1143809)
Quote:

Quote:

All you need to do is go to the C3G playtest thread and click on the link there for a blank one, although I think we should ask Bats if he minds us using that sheet. You want me shoot him question about that Balantia?

I'm 99.99% sure Bats wouldn't mind if we used the form. If you want to send him a PM, you're more than welcome to. Afterall, I was an active part of C3G at the time of it's creation. :D

Balantai July 14th, 2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Here you go.