Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Competitive Armies Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   UM's GLORIOUS spell tier list! (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=60704)

Unhinged Manchild May 28th, 2022 05:27 PM

UM's GLORIOUS spell tier list!

Heroscapers: (crickets)

Me: Let's talk about AotP's spells and how I rank them in usefulness!

Spell rankings – How useful are AotP’s spells?

If you haven’t seen my GLORIOUS army card tier list yet, go check it out! Below, you will find my personal opinions on the overarching power of spells in AotP. I base most of these positions on a standard 1v1 game (with some consideration for a 2v2 game) where the goal is to either kill Planeswalkers or wipe the entire enemy army off of the battlefield. Many games of AotP are literally won by killing an opponent’s Planeswalker, but even in kill’em all battles, killing your opponent’s Planeswalker can severely gimp their ability to respond to you because they can no longer summon, draw cards in action 1, or play spells. Therefore, scenarios such as “capture the flag” or “king of the hill” kinds of things are not heavily considered, but this tier list will likely mostly hold true even for those kinds of battles. Additionally, these rankings assume AotP maps or something like a competitive Heroscape map.

You will see that I use a tier system. Firstly, the order in which I place the colors has nothing to do with how powerful I think the colors are in comparison to one another. On that, I would probably say green or blue is strongest. I attempted to rank the cards within each tier from the greatest (first in the list) to the weakest (last in list) in terms of usefulness. In general, I rank spells higher if they are capable of: dealing direct damage to figures (because Planeswalkers AND creatures are figures,) healing Planeswalkers, or making it easier for your key figures to deliver game-winning attacks, especially against hero creatures or Planeswalkers. Cards that are dead-in-hand when you are playing against a heroes-only army will be ranked a bit lower due to my own personal belief that heroes-only armies seem quite strong and viable in the AotP meta. If you haven’t seen it yet, check out the Sorin-Ruiner-Avacyn build or even read this report about a game that I spectated of someone using this heroes-only army against an Ob Nixilis army; perhaps it will give you an idea of why I tend to dislike cards that can only affect an enemy squad. Hero creatures backed by tons of white healing can be a serious threat, especially when those heroes inflict automatic damage on every one of their turns.

Category explanations:
Spoiler Alert!

Black:
Spoiler Alert!

Blue:

Spoiler Alert!

Green:

Spoiler Alert!

Red:

Spoiler Alert!

White:

Spoiler Alert!

What do you say? Do I like Titanic Growth too much? Is Virulent Swipe a hidden gem and I'm just an idiot? Let us know!

Nukatha May 30th, 2022 04:39 PM

Re: Wiker's GLORIOUS spell tier list!

Very well done!

Unhinged Manchild May 30th, 2022 11:16 PM

Re: Wiker's GLORIOUS spell tier list!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nukatha (Post 2518244)
Very well done!

Thank you! The floor is completely open for you; what's your opinion about my nearly incoherent wall of text? You likely have more than just three words! What parts do you agree with, disagree with, explain your personal experience, etc?