Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Dysole June 30th, 2015 04:47 PM

Spirit Guide

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 2030910)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TREX (Post 2030901)
I thought I said up to 3 aditional

You did say three. Confred suggested 5 and that's what I was referring to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TREX (Post 2030901)
The Viking champion thing is cool, You could keep him on the card for the bonus, or use his soul to help out your attack once. I like the figures being used because you don't have to come up with a bunch of new markers, you can just use the figures you killed once and them remove them altogether.

Well that brings up another issue I have. What if Finn and Thorgrim are in Kratos' army, bite the dust, and are placed on Kratos' army card? Can Kratos still use them for Claws of Hades? Would they count towards the total number of souls Kratos has? What about other customs that put figures on Army cards, how would they interact with this power?

As it is written you can use the Viking Spirits. I have no issue with this as they are basically dead. Makes sense to me. That said, Marro Gnids also go on the figure and I'm not okay with that. We could add in a previously destroyed figure clause or switch to markers.

~Dysole, with options

Confred June 30th, 2015 11:55 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Lots of Good questions
Spirits: I like Claws denying the Vikings, because the Claws steal souls/spirits; not only is this function not broken, it's thematic.
Will the Vikings then enhance Kratos? No. The figures are placed on the Claws of Hades card and not Kratos' Army Card. If Claws of Hades are dropped or lost and a different figure picks the Claws up, that figure also picks up the previously destroyed figures.
Special Markers: I personally think special markers should be avoided whenever possible. Since figures not only work, but make sense to work, we should avoid special charge counters.
Special Attack: We have more control over the power level.
Normal Attack: Save card space by using Blades of Exile language. Increase uses for Kratos' main weapon, a fear some had for introducing more special attacks. Could be cool effect being able to enhance say Syvarris or some other ranged figure - more flexibility = more fun?
3 vs 5 figures: It totally can be 3 figures, or even 2. I was thinking 5 because there are 5 fingers on a hand :P.

Quote:

CLAWS OF HADES (B)
After destroying a figure, this figure may use Claws of Hades to put the figure on Claws of Hades' card. When attacking with a normal attack, this figure may use Claws of Hades to remove figures from Claws of Hades' card to roll additional attack dice to a maximum 3 additional attack dice.
Quote:

CLAWS OF HADES (C)
After destroying a figure, this figure may use Claws of Hades to put the figure on Claws of Hades' card. When attacking with a normal attack, this figure may use Claws of Hades to remove 1, 2, or 3 figures from Claws of Hades' card to roll 1, 2, or 3 additional attack dice.
Quote:

CLAWS OF HADES (D)
After destroying a figure, this figure may use Claws of Hades to put the figure on Claws of Hades' card to a maximum of 5 figures on Claws of Hades' card. When attacking with a normal attack, this figure may use Claws of Hades to remove 1, 2, or 3 figures from Claws of Hades' card to roll 1, 2, or 3 additional attack dice.
Spoiler Alert!

I have a doubt: If we must specify "Claws of Hades' card" in the first power, we should probably need to specify it in the Godly Artifact reminder text
Generic: "After using any special power on this card," vs Custom: "After using any special power on this Claws of Hades card,"

Confred July 2nd, 2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

NEMESIS WHIP
(SHOCKING WHIP)
Before every attack, this figure may use Nemesis Whip. Choose a figure adjacent to this figure. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, inflict 1 damage to the chosen figure and the chosen figure cannot roll any defense dice for this figure’s next attack this turn.
@Dysole I think "every" is more correct than "any", but I'm willing to bend (with proof :P)

BLADE OF OLYMPUS
Range 1. Attack 7.
If this figure fails to destroy a figure with Blade of Olympus, inflict 3 wounds to this figure. Each time this figure destroys a figure with Blade of Olympus, remove 1 wound marker from this figure's Army Card.

TREX July 2nd, 2015 01:23 PM

@Confred, I like version B, but feel we can shorten it up and not repeat Claws of Hades multiple times.
Quote:

CLAWS OF HADES (B)

After destroying a figure, this figure may place that figure on Claws of Hades' card. When attacking with a normal attack, this figure may remove figures from Claws of Hades' card to roll additional attack dice to a maximum 3 additional attack dice.

Dysole July 2nd, 2015 01:27 PM

Further Research

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2031234)
Quote:

NEMESIS WHIP
(SHOCKING WHIP)
Before every attack, this figure may use Nemesis Whip. Choose a figure adjacent to this figure. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, inflict 1 damage to the chosen figure and the chosen figure cannot roll any defense dice for this figure’s next attack this turn.
@Dysole I think "every" is more correct than "any", but I'm willing to bend (with proof :P)

BLADE OF OLYMPUS
Range 1. Attack 7.
If this figure fails to destroy a figure with Blade of Olympus, inflict 3 wounds to this figure. Each time this figure destroys a figure with Blade of Olympus, remove 1 wound marker from this figure's Army Card.

Looking into it, there is no figure with a multi attack ability and has an optional or even unreliable effect that affects its attack. It might even technically not be allowed by the rules to have an action "in between" attacks. (Although there is scatter but that's something your opponent does. Kumiko combines movement and attack but that's called out in the SA so I honestly have no idea if it's technically legal or not). So that said, I can't find an argument wording wise for "every" or "any" (although I agree grammatically the former is likely correct). What might be the closest is the Marrden Hounds and have something like "For each attack..."

As to Blade of Olympus, while not official, Ulfrid Hornwrangler has "receives" a wound. I think inflict wounds is actually only ever used on Pelloth (I'd have to check but I'm decently certain of that). Receives wounds is much more common.

~Dysole, not really sure if there is a Heroscape difference in terms

McHotcakes July 2nd, 2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

NEMESIS WHIP
(SHOCKING WHIP)

How about we just say Before Attacking? Before any/every attack could be interpreted as literally before any figure's attack. Which I don't think we want

Dysole July 2nd, 2015 01:50 PM

Attacklebox

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 2031274)
Quote:

Quote:

NEMESIS WHIP
(SHOCKING WHIP)

How about we just say Before Attacking? Before any/every attack could be interpreted as literally before any figure's attack. Which I don't think we want

Before attacking is the wording on James Murphy's card. However, Murphy's card also says that the figure may not roll any defense if attacked by Murphy this turn. "Before attacking" is Heroscape shortening for "Before you enter the attack phase".

That said, Warforged have some interesting power wordings we could riff off of.

EDIT: After discussion with dok, we should look at Tandros Kreel's wording. So something like this.

NEMESIS WHIP

When this figure attacks an adjacent figure, it may use Nemesis Whip. Roll the 20 sided die. If you roll 12 or higher, the targeted figure cannot roll any defense dice for this attack.

~Dysole, precedentally

Confred July 4th, 2015 10:07 PM

(Pulling doubles all weekend and have no data. Sorry for my absence)

Dysole July 5th, 2015 04:49 AM

No Worries

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2031713)
(Pulling doubles all weekend and have no data. Sorry for my absence)

Added in proposed wording based off of Cleave which is the closest we're going to find for what we want.

~Dysole, noting that dok said if Kreeloy Jenkins got a glyph of double attack he could do cleave on each attack

TREX July 5th, 2015 10:54 PM

Okay, so this is something I ran into when play testing Kratos, and again when playing some other games. The HOF Harry Potter figure is kind of broken. Not so much with the card besides some wording issues. The glyphs that get handed out to him and his buds at the beginning of the game. First, he dominated the Kratos we are designing. The last game was over the top. My one kid brother drafted a Fen Hydra and gave it the sword of Griffindor. Then gave Zelrig the Cloak of Invisibility. Also, by the end of the game a frost Giant was flying around on Harry's broomstick.(Wedgie Broomstick) So I am not against putting some of the more broken cards under the microscope for a couple of tweaks. Most of these things could be fixed with some wording, and be made much better. What do you guys think about this?
Next, How many more glyphs do we want for Kratos. If you play test him you would know it is quite hard to pick very many of them up anyways.
Current designs I see:
Nemesis Whip
Claws of Hades
Blade of Olympus.
Great work on all this discussion guys, I have been working a lot, and family time. That is why I have been absent.

Dysole July 5th, 2015 11:07 PM

Treasure Island

I'm good with what we have. I think we just need to make sure everyone is happy with all the wordings and we should be good to go here.

~Dysole, who admittedly thinks that quite a few of the HoF are at the very least underpriced/overpowered if not broken

JC McMinis July 6th, 2015 06:26 AM

Hey guys, was planning on updating the glyph cards for Kratos last night but was called into work. Life has been busy. I also agree perhaps after we finish Kratos we should go back and look at maybe fixing some of our past units. Especially Harry's treasure glyphs.