Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Maps & Scenarios (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   RPG Scenario: Rise of the Undead BETA (pics added) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=16644)

Boozehammer March 3rd, 2008 05:06 PM

RPG Scenario: Rise of the Undead BETA (pics added)

Preface
Heroscape is primarily a skirmish style of play, with armies being drafted for a single battle. RPG Scenarios take the concept of introducing a storyline and additional rules and victory conditions to either a single standalone scenario or a campaign of scenarios strung together, in order to add further enjoyment to the game. Because I work two jobs already, I'm looking for help from the community in each scenario I create for such things as Computer Drafts of each map, and an extended story for each - I know we have skilled map-makers and story writers on this forum, so if you are interested please PM me.

Rise of the Undead
Version Beta, still work in progress, but feel free to post feedback, comments, suggestions, etc.

Game Type:
Standalone Scenario

Description
An ancient vampire couple descends into a corn field in a sleepy rural farm at dusk. Sensing the farm place was built on an old burial ground, the undead lords see a perfect opportunity for their unholy appetites. Calling dark incantations, the two vampires close their eyes and bow their heads. Immediately the ground rumbles, as long-dead corpses rip through the earth, violently upheaving themselves from the cold ground. As the decayed cadavers stagger to their feet, the vampires silently give them a single command: Feed.

The people of Alastair farm are scattered across the fields, ending another day of chores and labor. Some are in the forest chopping wood; some are on top of the corn silo harvesting; others are in the house entertaining a squad of royal soldiers passing through. However, as dusk turns into night, a low moan begins. Almost imperceptible at first, soon the noise of moaning as from dozens of people can be heard across the whole farm. It seems to be coming from the corn field... but what is it?

As the sun sets, the nightmare begins...

Map

http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgaller...cs/Map_1~0.png
An overview of the map. The cornfield lies center, defined by the sand terrain hexes. The western side of the map is the forest where most of the farm forces will start. These forces will have to brave crossing the zombie-filled cornfield to the safety of the farmhouse on high ground in the east. The grain silo in the northeastern corner of the map may provide some defense from the zombies, but certainly not from the vampires.

http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgaller...the_Undead.png

http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgaller...e_Undead_2.PNG

Special Rules

Cornfields: Sand terrain serves as Cornfields in this scenario. The corn is ripe and requires harvesting, offering good protection from long range. Visibility from long range normal attacks stops at two hexes of Cornfield, i.e., if a zombie is on a cornfield hex, with a cornfield hex between it and the shooter, it cannot be targeted by normal attack. In this scenario, the Roman Archers Arrow Volley is the only ranged special attack available that can penetrate the corn fields.

Zombies Rise Again Modification: The rules for zombies turning other figures into zombies stays the same, with one exception: You can turn others into zombies above and beyond the number of zombies you start the game with.

Modified Disengage: As the zombies are particularly slow and decrepit due to their extreme age and rot, Alastair's farm forces never suffer disengagement strikes when leaving engagement with the zombies.

Forces - (Requires further playtesting, may need further tweaking)

The Undead

Zombies of Morindan x 6
Cyprien Esenwein
Sonya Esenwein

Alastair's Farm
Alastair MacDirk
MacDirk Warriors x 3
Valguard
Tarn Viking Warriors
Roman Archers x 2
4th Massachusetts Line

Initial Set Up
The Undead
The two vampires should be placed roughly center of the corn field. All zombies should be randomly spread out anywhere in the corn field.

Alastair's Farm
The 4th Line should be placed inside of the farmhouse. One Macdirk Warriors squad can be randomly distributed to the east of the cornfield, preferably somewhere on the farmhouse 'island'. The rest of the forces should be randomly distrubuted in the forest to the west of the cornfield, including possibly a few starting on top of the grain silo.

Victory Conditions
if both vampires are killed, all zombies immediately un-animate and Alastair's Farm wins the scenario. If all of Alastair's Farm forces are destroyed, the Undead win and the zombie hoard shambles onward following their vampiric masters.

Play Strategies
Alastair's Farm
Cut off from the excellent defense the elevated farm house presents, the farm forces must decide whether to make a stand in the forest or brave running through the cornfields to safety. There are a couple of key points that should help you; Your forces suffer no disengagement from zombies, and your heroes and Vikings have relatively high defense. That being said, the MacDirk Warriors will be your biggest liability, and with their low defense they will prove to be great zombie food. Attempting to get some Roman Archers onto the top of the grain silo may be helpful to you, just make sure you are not spreading yourself too thin, and beware of the vampires being able to swoop to the top of the silo and ruin your plans.

Inevitably, a last stand will occur between the now bloated ranks of the undead and the king's militia staying at the farm house, the 4th Line. The more forces that make it there to be present for this last struggle, the better your chances for survival will be.

The Undead
Your task is clear: stop the forces from crossing the cornfield successfully, and destroy those foolish enough to stay behind in the forest. Use your vampires sparingly, perhaps only to devour those on top of the silo. Beware of the two quick heroes of the farm, Alastair and Valguard, who can quickly get to your vampiric leaders and cause damage. Once all mortals in the forest and cornfield are consumed, press onto the farmhouse in the east and finish the job.

Extended Storyline
Coming soon, Volunteer Needed

Einar's puppy March 3rd, 2008 05:12 PM

I like the idea. Later on I could work on scenarios involving a campaign.

80's Freak March 4th, 2008 09:57 AM

Interesting idea, Boozehammer. I like it. I've been interested in exploring some campaign ideas with Heroscape for a while (and I LOVE zombies) so this might be a good idea to assist with a like-minded effort.

I'd prefer to help out with more of the story and play-test element than the map-building effort. Play to your strenghts, right?

Let me know when/if you need a little assistance. II'll try to lend a hand.

-Freak-

ewabbie March 4th, 2008 01:36 PM

:rob: :rob: :rob: The Roman Archers could have a special attack. if they roll 17 or higher then their arrows are on fire. They can shoot them into the corn fields to burn the zombies hiding there. Each skull die rolled then doubles the wounds.

Boozehammer March 4th, 2008 02:47 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Ewabbie, that sounds like an awesome idea! But how would one keep track of how much of the cornfields are on fire?

Keep the creative ideas coming, people. I need suggestion, feedback. I need people to build this map and try it out.

But what I need most of all right now is for somebody to build this in VirtualScape or another program and hook us up with a computer drafted version of this, based on my pictures above.

Einar's puppy March 4th, 2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boozehammer
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Ewabbie, that sounds like an awesome idea! But how would one keep track of how much of the cornfields are on fire?

Lava hexes of course. Now I would try to battle test this but I don't have most of the peices needed. I will work on stories if yo want me to

Shades fan March 4th, 2008 07:35 PM

I like the Idea,but I think you need more squads of Zombies. When I think of a Zombie siege I think 10 or more squads of Zombies. I know this is irrational but it is how I would have done it. The corn field is to big for the amount of Zombies on it, I would think they would be cluttered together because there would be so many of them. But great job with the designs and all, I love the idea. I don't think the point totals need to be fair because the Zombies don't have any ranged units,so you may either want to add more Zombies or give the farm less units.

Einar's puppy March 6th, 2008 08:27 AM

If it would not be to presumptios I would like to go ahead and get some ideas moving. After completeing the battle above you choose between 2 roads to take, depending if you won or not.I'll start with "lost".The zombies are sprouting up in more places. Iskra esenwein and her retchets have summoned Zombies in an old swamp neer a town *represented by castle*. There would be fewer zombies but fewer defenders as well because most are out working on Alastair's farm. A few Macdirk warriors and fourth mass are all theat they're going to get.Since Iskra is weaker then Sonya and Cyprein, she won't be able to restore them unless they use "zombies rise again" like normal,so no modification.

Boozehammer March 6th, 2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Einar's puppy
If it would not be to presumptios I would like to go ahead and get some ideas moving. After completeing the battle above you choose between 2 roads to take, depending if you won or not.I'll start with "lost".The zombies are sprouting up in more places. Iskra esenwein and her retchets have summoned Zombies in an old swamp neer a town *represented by castle*. There would be fewer zombies but fewer defenders as well because most are out working on Alastair's farm. A few Macdirk warriors and fourth mass are all theat they're going to get.Since Iskra is weaker then Sonya and Cyprein, she won't be able to restore them unless they use "zombies rise again" like normal,so no modification.

Excellent idea! You should work on this, possibly making a map/taking pics, seeing if we can 'make it offical'.

Rise of the Undead was originally envisioned as a standalone type, not campaign; but I think there's plenty of opportunity for growth here.

You should work on it, Einar's Puppy!

Einar's puppy March 6th, 2008 06:00 PM

O.k I could not figure out how to make the map well for what I said above so I'm changing the scenario slightly. It is still Iskra and the retchets but now It is slightly differant.
The town is mearly a mining out post that provides coal to the entire kingdom. A messanger from the knights of weston is standong with the workers telling them of th king's vist! He will come soon. But Iskra has a differant plan...
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...y/DSCN0003.jpg
The workers know nothing of Iskras movements while they either continue working or listen to the knights of weston's messanger.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...y/DSCN0005.jpg
The lava is where a tree goes, I don't have Rttff...White dice are Retchets of bogdan, they do not get summond because Iskra need total secrecy to destroy the mine. The blue die is Iskra. Afte you take your first turn with her the Zombies rise where the red dice are (I'm sorry but my 'scape collection is small) The pot holes are mine shafts. More on that later.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...y/DSCN0004.jpg
SPECIAL RULES
"wind" is in effect.
Lycanthropy:When a Anubian kills an enemy he may roll the D20, on a 19 or 20 place a previously destroyed Anubian where the opponent's dead figure was.
Thick forest:opponents must be 4 or less spaces away to attack someone in a "woods" space (woods are swamp)
Mine shafts: you may jump into a shaft. On your next turn with that unit you may take him out on any other mine shaft.
The king is coming: Denrick and 2 squads of knights of weston arive on the top corner of the map on round 4
again, sorry I don't have most of these units but that is te best I can do.
UNITS NEEDED
Workers
Tarn vikings, 2 4th mass lines, 2 Knight os weston, Sir denrick, sir gilbert,thorgrim, Finn
Iskra's assault party
Iskra, retchets of bogdan,2 zombies, 2 Anubian wolves.

Boozehammer March 6th, 2008 06:47 PM

That's excellent, and is good enough for its very own scenario topic. You should post that as it's own, so it gets some exposure to the forum!

Good job man :) That's what I'm talking about, I'm glad I helped inspire some creativity around here!

Einar's puppy March 6th, 2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boozehammer
That's excellent, and is good enough for its very own scenario topic. You should post that as it's own, so it gets some exposure to the forum!

Good job man :) That's what I'm talking about, I'm glad I helped inspire some creativity around here!

I'llwould post it stand alone if I had all the units needed.