Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

killercactus March 23rd, 2011 10:27 AM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

What about a terrain boost for dungeon / shadow?

mac122 March 24th, 2011 03:41 PM

Indiana Jones
Movies

Aquilla

Human
Unique Hero
Adventurer?
Valiant
Medium 5

Life 4
Move 6
Range 5
Attack 3
Defense 4
Points ???

Treasure Hunter
Indiana Jones may add 2 to his Move number as long as he ends his movement on a Treasure Glyph. When you roll the 20-sided die for a Treasure Glyph trap with Indiana Jones, you may add 2 to your die roll.
Why Did It Have to Be Snakes
Indiana Jones may not move adjacent to a Viper. If Indiana Jones begins his turn adjacent to a Viper, he must, if possible move at least one space away from that Viper. Indiana Jones rolls 2 less defense dice against Vipers.
Whip Swing 3
Instead of a normal move, Indiana Jones may use his Whip Swing. Whip Swing has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Indiana Jones's Whip Swing, ignore elevations. Indiana Jones may swing over water without stopping, over figures without becoming engaged, and swing over obstacles such as ruins. Indiana Jones may move up to 6 levels up or down in a single Whip Swing. If Indiana Jones is engaged when he starts to Whip Swing, he does not take leaving engagement attacks.

I tried to come up with an ability that covered movement and a boosted defense for Indy's whip, but they ended up too convoluted and wordy. Instead, I opted for the KC's adjustment of machinekng's Whip Swing and boosted Indy's base defense. Boosting his defense also helps keep him around, diminishing the need for a healing/toughness ability. Necro's Treasure Hunter fit wonderfully.

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2...e6bf03fcec.gif

Lamaclown March 24th, 2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1371216)
Oops. Hit Submit instead of Preview.

I'll have my draft of Indy up in just a bit.

In the meanwhile, for your viewing pleasure:

<video appears here snip>

YES!
I love it every time I see it- the way he just turns around afterwards like, "OK, now back to what I was doing before I was so rudely interrupted."

Quote:

vBulletin... blah... blah... spread... blah... rep... blah...

machinekng March 24th, 2011 05:08 PM

Not bad.

I question Indie's induction into Aquilla's Armies. I've always seen him more as a Jandar fellow.

Stats look good.

The wording for Why did it have to be snakes seems a bit clunky. I can't put my finger on what makes it so.

Taeblewalker March 24th, 2011 09:30 PM

I think a lack of a comma after "if possible" is the major clunkiness for the wording of the Snakes ability.

That said, I think it's too limiting to say that he cannot move adjacent to one. Also, the 2 less defense dice make him way too easy to kill, but does nothing against the Hydra or Wo-Sa-Ga, which I really liked about the Slither wording.

How about: Indiana Jones must end his movement if he moves into engagement with a figure with the Slither ability. He rolls one less attack die against any figure with the Slither ability.

mac122 March 25th, 2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1371319)
Not bad.

I question Indie's induction into Aquilla's Armies. I've always seen him more as a Jandar fellow.

Stats look good.

The wording for Why did it have to be snakes seems a bit clunky. I can't put my finger on what makes it so.

I agree that Indy would fit into Jandar's army, and that may well be where he does end up, but I went for Aquilla for two reasons. First, Aquilla needs all the help she can get ;). Second, his archeological background, respect for ancient cultures, and desire to protect antiquities (though often in a museum) made him seem a good fit along side the Mohicans, Monks, Dwarves, and Quasatch. However, his allegiance to one general or another is not a deal breaker for me. If the majority think he fits in Jandar better, I'll move him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1371504)
I think a lack of a comma after "if possible" is the major clunkiness for the wording of the Snakes ability.

That said, I think it's too limiting to say that he cannot move adjacent to one. Also, the 2 less defense dice make him way too easy to kill, but does nothing against the Hydra or Wo-Sa-Ga, which I really liked about the Slither wording.

How about: Indiana Jones must end his movement if he moves into engagement with a figure with the Slither ability. He rolls one less attack die against any figure with the Slither ability.

I see the problem with not including Wo-Sa-Ga in with the Vipers - it's a huge snake - but the Hydra, eh, not as much. However, the pros probably outweigh the cons if it is changed to 'figures with the Slither ability'.
IMO, it is more thematic for Indy to move away from, and avoid moving into engagement with a snake instead of stopping once he gets there. In Raiders, he had to clear a large area before he would lower himself into the room with the snakes. The lowered attack doesn't fit either, for me at least. He had no trouble killing snakes, but preferred to do it at range. I could see dropping the lowered defense, but Indy should be getting away from snakes or staying away from snakes.

How about this. I have changed it from Vipers to cover all Scape snakes and I dropped the lowered defense. With only 2 parts to the ability instead of 3, it is a lot less clunky.

Indiana Jones may not move adjacent to any figure with the Slither ability. If Indiana Jones begins his turn adjacent to a figure with the Slither ability, he must, if possible, move at least one space away from that figure.

killercactus March 25th, 2011 08:45 AM

Why Did It Have to be Snakes?
Indiana Jones may not end his turn adjacent to a figure with the Slither special power.

Done. :D

Taeblewalker March 25th, 2011 09:05 AM

I like it, KC.

killercactus March 25th, 2011 10:13 AM

I think I'd be OK with Indy having 4 powers if two of them were that version of Snakes and a short Treasure Hunter power.

I'd also be in favor of, as part of the Treasure Hunter power, giving him a boost for dungeon/shadow. Maybe something like this...?

Treasure Hunter
Indiana Jones may roll 2 additional defense dice when he is on a dungeon or shadow space, and when he rolls to disarm a trap on a symbol-side up treasure glyph, he may add 3 to the roll.

mac122 March 25th, 2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killercactus (Post 1371678)
Why Did It Have to be Snakes?
Indiana Jones may not end his turn adjacent to a figure with the Slither special power.

Done. :D

That wording sounds more official. It does allow Indy to move adjacent to a snake, which I'm not too keen on, but the simplicity of the revisions wins out.:thumbsup:

Quote:

Indiana Jones
Movies

Aquilla

Human
Unique Hero
Adventurer?
Valiant
Medium 5

Life 4
Move 6
Range 5
Attack 3
Defense 4
Points ???

Treasure Hunter
Indiana Jones may add 2 to his Move number as long as he ends his movement on a Treasure Glyph. When you roll the 20-sided die for a Treasure Glyph trap with Indiana Jones, you may add 2 to your die roll.

Indiana Jones may not move end his turn adjacent to a figure with the Slither special power.

Whip Swing 3
Instead of a normal move, Indiana Jones may use his Whip Swing. Whip Swing has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Indiana Jones's Whip Swing, ignore elevations. Indiana Jones may swing over water without stopping, over figures without becoming engaged, and swing over obstacles such as ruins. Indiana Jones may move up to 6 levels up or down in a single Whip Swing. If Indiana Jones is engaged when he starts to Whip Swing, he does not take leaving engagement attacks.

killercactus March 25th, 2011 10:20 AM

I think it actually needs to say "end his movement..." instead of "end his turn", because I haven't defined what actually happens when he ends his turn next to a snake - just that he can't do it.

Why Did It Have To Be Snakes?
Indiana Jones cannot end his movement adjacent to a figure with the Slither special power.

He can move through a space adjacent to a snake, but can't end there. Which makes sense, because he runs past them all the time.

Balantai March 25th, 2011 11:30 AM

I worry that this version of Indy is missing a certain amount of cowbell. If you're playing a game without snakes or glyphs, he's not worth playing. That's too bad for one of my favorite characters of all time.