Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HeroScape General Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Manipulating the Wal-Mart system (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=10356)

netherspirit July 29th, 2007 04:22 PM

Re: Manipulating the Wal-Mart system

Quote:

Originally Posted by ares834
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb231

9. Final example....my local Gamestop, years ago, ran a deal where if you traded in ANY two used non-sport games you got a copy of a hot new game (I forget which one it was but htink it might have been a Splinter Cell title) for 30 bucks instead of the usual 50. I scoured the store's used game bins to find the two crappiest cheapest games, bought them for a total of about 9 dollars, and traded them in the next day for my $20 discount on the new game. Is that wrong.

Yes your ripping them off of $11.

Don't fuel the fire...

EDIT - Too late...

Hahma July 29th, 2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathguy
I agree with GrungeBob that people seem more desensitized to unethical behavior these days. (There's a whole lot of unethical behavior from certain people *cough-white-house* that people seem desensitized to....)

I wouldn't be shocked if there was a lot of unethical behavior from people in power years ago.Now with the internet and 8 million TV stations all bombarding the public with negative and scandalous news about anything and everything, we get desensitized because the minor discretions get filtered out and normalized somehow due to so many bigger and more heinous things we hear about.

jcb231 July 29th, 2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netherspirit
Quote:

Originally Posted by ares834
Quote:

9. Final example....my local Gamestop, years ago, ran a deal where if you traded in ANY two used non-sport games you got a copy of a hot new game (I forget which one it was but htink it might have been a Splinter Cell title) for 30 bucks instead of the usual 50. I scoured the store's used game bins to find the two crappiest cheapest games, bought them for a total of about 9 dollars, and traded them in the next day for my $20 discount on the new game. Is that wrong.

Yes your ripping them off of $11.

Don't fuel the fire...

EDIT - Too late...

There's no fire here, not on my end at least, I just really want to know...my curiosity is peaked. This whole "that's unethical" response to returning items at a retail store with a receipt has me baffled. I'd love to see how the community responds to teh situations I outlined above as I'm trying to figure out where the boundaries are.

netherspirit July 29th, 2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

I'd love to see how the community responds to teh situations I outlined above as I'm trying to figure out where the boundaries are.

Nothing anyone says is going to change your mind, you're going to keep doing what you do, whether someone thinks it unethical or not. Its going to lead to a big circle of discussion that doesn't go anywhere.

I do things that could be deemed unethical or wrong too, but I could almost care less what a bunch of random people on the internet think of my actions. If you can live your actions and you think its okay to do those things, then keep doing it.

IMO, all you're doing is looking for someone to reply so you can try and justify your actions and that's just going to lead to an arguement or a discussion that doesn't go anyhwere.

jcb231 July 29th, 2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd love to see how the community responds to teh situations I outlined above as I'm trying to figure out where the boundaries are.

Nothing anyone says is going to change your mind, you're going to keep doing what you do, whether someone thinks it unethical or not. Its going to lead to a big circle of discussion that doesn't go anywhere.

I do things that could be deemed unethical or wrong too, but I could almost care less what a bunch of random people on the internet think of my actions. If you can live your actions and you think its okay to do those things, then keep doing it.

IMO, all you're doing is looking for someone to reply so you can try and justify your actions and that's just going to lead to an arguement or a discussion that doesn't go anyhwere.

I'm not looking to change what I do, I'm just trying to figure out what people think is ethical or unethical when it comes to retail. The first time the Wal-Mart restocking thing was mentioned here on these boards it threw me for a loop that someone would dissaproove of it, and I still have trouble understanding the issue. I want to see if any of those examples I listed above are also "wrong" in poeple's eyes, and if so, why they think that way so I can see where they are coming from, or at least know where the boundaries are. If I can see where the boundaries are I can hone in on the finer points of this.

I'm not seeking approval and I'm not trying to justify anything that I do or don't do. I really don't need justification from Heroscapers.com for how I live my life. The topic just interests me and I want to know how people feel about it.

Tai-Pan July 29th, 2007 05:44 PM

Okay. I've decided to yield to the wisdom of Grungebob and RevDyer and I'm not going to return it all to a different store. My question then is, How do I specifically order the stuff I want if it just rings up as heroscape expansion?

Grungebob July 29th, 2007 05:54 PM

In response to jcb231:

I'm not going to tell you how to live your life. Character is measured by what we do when we think nobody is looking. In other words, this is your character, your trustworthiness, not mine.. If you habitually try to take advantage of others for your own personal gain, then your character and integrity are at stake. In my dealings with people, I whitness an extraordinary amount of deceitfulness daily. Everything from tax evasion, speeding, lying, cheating, stealing. Yes it is dishonest to download cams of the most recently released movies, games, music etc.. Does this mean I won't be friends with somebody who does this?? no! I have many friends who do things that are not kosher. Will I trust a friend who lives life in a constant state of self indulgent dishonesty? No way! I would be foolish to, because if they are willing to stoop as low as some of the things I've seen and mentioned, then there's no telling what else they are capable of.

ares834 July 29th, 2007 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grungebob

Character is measured by what we do when we think nobody is looking.

THat's a nice quote right there. Did you make it yourself?

GoBigorGoHome July 29th, 2007 06:03 PM

Returning product to a differemt Target or Wal Mart is not taking advantage of others in any manner.

netherspirit July 29th, 2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Will I trust a friend who lives life in a constant state of self indulgent dishonesty? No way! I would be foolish to, because if they are willing to stoop as low as some of the things I've seen and mentioned, then there's no telling what else they are capable of.

Yeah! Because there's no telling what those crazy, decietful media-pirates will do next! They might steal your first born, be ever vigilant. Trust no one. :P

STAROCEAN980 July 29th, 2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Will I trust a friend who lives life in a constant state of self indulgent dishonesty? No way! I would be foolish to, because if they are willing to stoop as low as some of the things I've seen and mentioned, then there's no telling what else they are capable of.

Yeah! Because there's no telling what those crazy, decietful media-pirates will do next! They might steal your first born, be ever vigilant. Trust no one. :P

Remember, you can allways trust a dishonest person to be dishonest, it's the honest ones you need too watchout for. :)

Hahma July 29th, 2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

In response to jcb231:

I'm not going to tell you how to live your life. Character is measured by what we do when we think nobody is looking. In other words, this is your character, your trustworthiness, not mine.. If you habitually try to take advantage of others for your own personal gain, then your character and integrity are at stake. In my dealings with people, I whitness an extraordinary amount of deceitfulness daily. Everything from tax evasion, speeding, lying, cheating, stealing. Yes it is dishonest to download cams of the most recently released movies, games, music etc.. Does this mean I won't be friends with somebody who does this?? no! I have many friends who do things that are not kosher. Will I trust a friend who lives life in a constant state of self indulgent dishonesty? No way! I would be foolish to, because if they are willing to stoop as low as some of the things I've seen and mentioned, then there's no telling what else they are capable of.

Amen to that!

I know people that try to always get over on the system, I can be friendly with them, but I'd never trust them or consider letting them get to be close friends. The type of people that buy a tent and returned it after camping kind of people. I have no use for them.