Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Competitive Armies Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Challenge: Basing an army around rolling blanks - Success! (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=15359)

TOG January 11th, 2008 07:45 PM

Challenge: Basing an army around rolling blanks - Success!

We've all had those days, when you couldn't inflict a wound to save your dignity, or roll a shield to get one more turn in.

Therefore, a challenge to create a 500 point army, that defies odds and hangs in there despite poor rolls...

Metaknight January 11th, 2008 07:55 PM

So an army that uses a lot of luck or doesn't use a lot? Sorry, a little confused.

Draconious January 11th, 2008 07:58 PM

Multi Purpose / Second Chance Figures, Sonlen, Nakitas, MicroCop etc...

TOG January 11th, 2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaknight
So an army that uses a lot of luck or doesn't use a lot? Sorry, a little confused.

An army that survives and carries on, despite the bad luck of rolling blanks, rolling shields when you need skulls, rolling skulls when you need shields...

rdhight January 11th, 2008 08:38 PM

200 Microcorp Agents x2
110 Laglor
100 Krav Maga Agents
090 Crixus

Microcorps use Stealth Armor and Water Suits to stay alive. Laglor helps them and the Krav, and his valkyrie dice attack gives him a certain amount of insurance against cold attack rolls. Crixus and the Krav will squeeze maximum use out of one shield. Microcorps x3 might be stronger, but I only have x2, so there ya go.

BRUNAK January 11th, 2008 09:44 PM

Q9? (As always) and Drake RoTV thorian speed makes him tough.

Metaknight January 11th, 2008 09:48 PM

Okay, I got one:

Kee-Mo-Shi: 130
Jotun: 225
Nakita Agents: 120
Kyntela Gwyn: 20

I had Sonlen in this one but then I realized he was 160. I put in Kee-Mo-Shi instead.

Kahrma January 12th, 2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdhight
200 Microcorp Agents x2
110 Laglor
100 Krav Maga Agents
090 Crixus

Microcorps use Stealth Armor and Water Suits to stay alive. Laglor helps them and the Krav, and his valkyrie dice attack gives him a certain amount of insurance against cold attack rolls. Crixus and the Krav will squeeze maximum use out of one shield. Microcorps x3 might be stronger, but I only have x2, so there ya go.

Good one! You're right - "Stealth Armor" and "Autoload" are like "second chance" abilities. I've been playtesting a similar army with [2xRats + Isamu] instead of Crixus.

How 'bout this:

180 G-Nators x 2
120 Nakitas
120 Grimnak
80 Blade Gruts x 2

Gorillanators get one automatic shield vs. normal attacks - VERY useful against most ranged squads. Nakitas further bolster defense against normal range with their "Smoke Powder" special, plus "Engagement Strike" gives you one more chance to roll those uncooperative dice. Grimnak = Chomp! - about as fool-proof as abilities get (if you can keep him alive...). I threw the Blade Gruts in for bonding, but Rats might also work well.

Aldin January 14th, 2008 02:16 AM

First off, I love Kahrma's army, 300 points of which functions sans rolls. My thought is that even when rolling poorly, throwing more dice more often is an excellent salve. Added to that idea is that the units with the most life can best survive the worst dice rolling luck. The core of each army will be Raelin and Rats - between scatter and six shields you're looking at a seriously annoyed opponent right off the bat:

2xRats
Raelin
Charos
Concan
Tarn Vikings

Charos was the first unit that occurred to me. He's tough to kill even when your luck is running ice cold. Concan and the Tarn belong in the same category in a much lesser way.

1xRats
Raelin
Grimnak
Krug
Alastair MacDirk
Guilty McCreech

Several units that can take damage and most of which have the ability to strike twice in a turn in some fashion. Guilty even pretends to add a ranged threat.

2xRats
Raelin
Major X17
NeGokSa
Major Q10

Life, defense and a genuine ranged threat with X17 playing bodyguard against assassins.

1xRats
Raelin
Sonlen
Kyntela Gwyn
2xOmnicron Snipers

A bit less survivability than the others, this one works on the premise that even with bad luck you roll the occasional skull - and when the Snipers roll a skull you get more bang for your buck. I wrestled with including Sonlen, he's heavily luck influenced in his abilities, but backed by KG and Raelin he ought to get to roll enough dice to beat the odds.

Okay, okay, one more that has nothing to do with Rats & Raelin:

5xMarrden Hounds
Marro Warriors

Pretty useless against soulborgs, and yes I'm counting on some D20 action in lieu of red/blue die luck, but in the right situation this army will just make your opponent feel sick.

~Aldin, clinging to life

Junge Roman January 14th, 2008 06:51 AM

Cool idea.

Grimnak is definitely king of this country. Chomp!

I would also suggest building the army around Jotun (huge life and abilities) or using one of the Torkulna armies(lots of kill opportunities and second chances with Nagrubs).

Jotun
Nakitas
Laglor
Deathreavers
495 pts

rdhight January 14th, 2008 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junge Roman
I would also suggest building the army around Jotun (huge life and abilities) or using one of the Torkulna armies(lots of kill opportunities and second chances with Nagrubs).

Funny you should mention that. I was setting up 400-point pre-built armies today and did this:

220 TKN
120 Krug
060 Nagrubs x2

Nothing special as far as power is concerned, but having two heroes who can laugh off a good many wounds is in the spirit of this thread, I think. Just watch out for Sir Denrick.

boogle January 16th, 2008 08:30 PM

Despite all of heroscape having an immediate correlation with luck, and thus it being impossible to make an army that does not revolve around some sort of luck whether it be a D20 or attack/defense dice, maybe a team that can replenish itself could be useful. Though, the team I have picked out is much less resilent against soulborgs, it's still has the essence of a team that has potentially high survivability. Here that team is:

ZombiesX2 120

Marro Warriors 50

Cyprien 150

Sonya 45

Marcu 20

I apologize, I was so intent on posting i did not see the 500 point challenge, and posted instead a 400 point army. Hmm, use your imagination and add some other units, I'm all out of brain power at the present moment.