Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Lobster Johnson (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=49851)

A3n January 30th, 2014 07:12 PM

Re: The Book of Lobster Johnson - Design

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny139 (Post 1908385)
Ah, sorry, completely missed the start zone bit!

Only other issue I have is the intangibility bit... does the second half always apply, or only for when he's ghostly?

No only while he's a ghost. Hmm, I can see how that isn't clear. Any suggestions?

TrollBrute January 30th, 2014 09:44 PM

Not liking the Expert Marksman power right now. Two auto-skulls seems way above his power level. I mean, as a human, the guy was just pulp hero, vigilante type. If we need a marksman power here, I'd rather use Marksmanship from Dum Dum Dugan. Really though, at this point I would rather just drop it. He's not really the type of unit that warrants four all new powers.

Otherwise, I like the powerset, and it's better than I anything I had for him, so :up: to you there. I do have to say that I'm a little disappointed not to see a "branding" power on him (he would burn a lobster claw mark on to the forehead of his victims), but it's not the kind of thing that makes for a very interesting power and there's not really room for it here.

EDIT: Like johnny, I also missed the startzone bit. Would this wording make Spirit Arise any clearer?
Quote:

Originally Posted by A3n (Post 1908327)
SPIRIT ARISE
If Lobster Johnson is destroyed with the species of Human, remove all wound markers from this card and place his figure in your start zone or within 3 spaces of an Investigator figure you control. Lobster Johnson's species is now Ghost instead of Human and you may add 1 to his normal move value.

SirGalahad January 30th, 2014 10:52 PM

Another stab at it

SPIRIT ARISE
If Lobster Johnson is destroyed while his species is Human, remove all Wound Markers from this card and place him on any empty space either in your Start Zone or within 3 spaces of an Investigator figure you control. For the remainder of the game Lobster Johnson's species is Ghost instead of what is listed on the card and you may add 1 to his Move number.

GHOSTLY INTANGIBILITY
While Lobster Johnson's species is Ghost, he can move through all figures and obstacles such as ruins, is never attacked when leaving an engagement, and cannot be targeted by opponents' non-adjacent figures for any attacks or for any opponents' special powers that require clear sight.

HELPFUL GHOST
While Lobster Johnson's species is Ghost, all Investigators you control add one additional die when defending against a normal or special attack from an opponent's figure that is within 3 spaces of Lobster Johnston.

A3n January 31st, 2014 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrollBrute (Post 1908427)
Otherwise, I like the powerset, and it's better than I anything I had for him, so :up: to you there. I do have to say that I'm a little disappointed not to see a "branding" power on him (he would burn a lobster claw mark on to the forehead of his victims), but it's not the kind of thing that makes for a very interesting power and there's not really room for it here.

Yeah, one of my early thoughts were about the branding but I couldn't think of a mechanic that the theme would be appropriate to.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1908459)
Another stab at it

SPIRIT ARISE
If Lobster Johnson is destroyed while his species is Human, remove all Wound Markers from this card and place him on any empty space either in your Start Zone or within 3 spaces of an Investigator figure you control. For the remainder of the game Lobster Johnson's species is Ghost instead of what is listed on the card and you may add 1 to his Move number.

GHOSTLY INTANGIBILITY
While Lobster Johnson's species is Ghost, he can move through all figures and obstacles such as ruins, is never attacked when leaving an engagement, and cannot be targeted by opponents' non-adjacent figures for any attacks or for any opponents' special powers that require clear sight.

HELPFUL GHOST
While Lobster Johnson's species is Ghost, all Investigators you control add one additional die when defending against a normal or special attack from an opponent's figure that is within 3 spaces of Lobster Johnston.

:up: they look good to me.

IAmBatman January 31st, 2014 10:59 AM

That looks good. The one thing that still feels a bit "off" to me is the increase in his move number by one being in Spirit Arise. It just seems too "thrown in" to that power, IMO.

The Ghostly Intangibility power is the "stat boost in ghost form" power, so it should be there if anywhere (and I'm not sure it needs to be there at all).

Also, we're going with "Entity" over "Ghost," right?

TrollBrute January 31st, 2014 11:13 AM

Yeah, I'd prefer "Spirit" or "Entity" over "Ghost".

IAmBatman January 31st, 2014 11:41 AM

I considered "Spirit," but we've already used it as a Class.

A3n January 31st, 2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 1908525)
That looks good. The one thing that still feels a bit "off" to me is the increase in his move number by one being in Spirit Arise. It just seems too "thrown in" to that power, IMO.

The Ghostly Intangibility power is the "stat boost in ghost form" power, so it should be there if anywhere (and I'm not sure it needs to be there at all).

Also, we're going with "Entity" over "Ghost," right?

I gave him the extra movement to offset the fact that I couldn't give him teleportation. As ghost he would actually just appear (& disappear) where he wanted. So I figured that if I gave him an extra move that would give him the ability to move about a bit more & add to his power set as being more powerful (& helpful) as a ghost. I thought I would leave it out of ghostly intangibility incase that power could be reused for somebody else :shrug:. Can easily add it there.

Yep Entity, when the 48 hours is up. ;)

quozl January 31st, 2014 09:53 PM

FWIW, I agree with TB about Marksman.

IAmBatman February 1st, 2014 12:00 AM

If you want to give him enough move to mimic teleportation, I'd go with more of a boost than +1. Why not, say, +4?

A3n February 1st, 2014 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 1908731)
If you want to give him enough move to mimic teleportation, I'd go with more of a boost than +1. Why not, say, +4?

Because I thought you guys would be less inclined to let that pass. ;)

IAmBatman February 1st, 2014 11:24 AM

Well, now that I know the theme of it .... :-) +1 Move doesn't seem to be worth the text or communicate the theme well. +4 Move might.