Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Beyonder (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=34744)

IAmBatman February 22nd, 2011 10:40 AM

Re: The Book of Beyonder - ERB Phase

Blob, Spider-girl, Jean Grey, and Graviton can all currently prevent Beyonder from getting into lava and Magneto can toss him back out.
I dunno, the proposed power line just sounded cheesy and customy. But if it's going to ruin the unit for you guys without it, I understand, and think some sort of line should be on there ... do you guys have any other wording possibilities for it?

GreyOwl February 22nd, 2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1347079)
We can use the same language as in the DO rules:

Quote:

Figures may never be placed on uneven terrain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie (Post 1347093)
:ninja: I was just researching to say the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 1347096)
That I'd go for.

Updated.

Aldin February 22nd, 2011 11:57 AM

You could make it bigger:

Dimensional twisting
Terrain effects on all terrain within 4 (8?) spaces of Beyonder are cancelled.

~Aldin, stripping the puny mortals of their petty defenses

IAmBatman February 22nd, 2011 12:10 PM

I think it'd have to be 10 spaces to really do the trick given how easily he can move units around with both his summoning and Mere Pawns.
So would this mean that Namor couldn't use water for special powers? Or just that everyone could pass through water without stopping and lost their defensive bonuses on shadow tiles (and, of course, the lava part). Is the +1 to defense against ranged attacks for Jungle Trees considered a terrain effect?

Aldin February 22nd, 2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 1347365)
I think it'd have to be 10 spaces to really do the trick given how easily he can move units around with both his summoning and Mere Pawns.
So would this mean that Namor couldn't use water for special powers? Or just that everyone could pass through water without stopping and lost their defensive bonuses on shadow tiles (and, of course, the lava part). Is the +1 to defense against ranged attacks for Jungle Trees considered a terrain effect?

I think a bigger effect has a certain level of awesomeness to it so I'm kinda liking 10 spaces. Since it cancels the effects and not the type, Namor should still receive the benefit of being on water and all terrain dependant abilities should function. I think it treats Molten Lava, Lava Rock, Heavy Ice, Heavy Snow, Water, Shadow and spaces adjacent to Jungle as if they cause no damage, have no effect on movement and offer no shield boosts.

~Aldin, world warpingly

IAmBatman February 22nd, 2011 12:28 PM

Works for me. :-) I think this is probably the best way to go here. Thanks for the great feedback, Aldin. :-)

GreyOwl February 22nd, 2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldin (Post 1347355)
You could make it bigger:

Dimensional twisting
Terrain effects on all terrain within 4 (8?) spaces of Beyonder are cancelled.

~Aldin, stripping the puny mortals of their petty defenses

Great idea, I love it! I updated the first post.

Anyone have other changes they'd like to see?

IAmBatman February 22nd, 2011 09:43 PM

Hmm ... not 100% on that "are canceled" language, actually, now that I look at it again ...

DIMENSIONAL TWISTING
All terrain within 10 spaces of Beyonder does not have terrain effects.

?

GreyOwl February 22nd, 2011 11:50 PM

Works for me. Either way, I think we'll need an FAQ for that power to explain exactly what it entails. But I'm okay with that.

IAmBatman February 22nd, 2011 11:57 PM

Cool. It's a final editing issue anyway. Anyway, here's my preemptive vote for playtesting.

GreyOwl February 22nd, 2011 11:58 PM

I went ahead and updated the first post anyway.

I propose we move Beyonder to Playtesting.

Hahma February 23rd, 2011 12:05 AM

Re: The Book of Beyonder - VOTE for Playtesting

YEA

Great work fellas:D

Spidey'tilIDie February 23rd, 2011 12:08 AM

Yea. He is looking Dy-No-Mite!
http://www.laughstub.com/images/come...y_Walker_1.jpg

Griffin February 23rd, 2011 01:54 AM

I am sorry, but I can't vote to move this card forward. I think we need to think more about this card and what needs to be done, but this power has no valid theme behind it. It is clearly a "fix it" power designed to cover the ass of the rest of the card.

Quote:

DIMENSIONAL TWISTING
All terrain within 10 spaces of Beyonder does not have terrain effects.
I am sorry, but when Beyonder shows up, people cannot suddenly walk on water, avoid lava, run across snow, lose their bonus on concrete, asphalt, or road, and they certainly don't lose their ability to boost their defense by hiding behind jungle trees..... I just can't support this AT ALL.

Griffin February 23rd, 2011 01:58 AM

OK, I hear the concern about how Beyonder is TOO powerful on lava, I hear that. But currently, that fear is based on speculation, not fact. I think we need to playtest first on lava before "fixing" anything. After all, we did already "fix" lava rules.

Lets test more and see what the test results say before freaking out.

IAmBatman February 23rd, 2011 01:58 AM

Perhaps we can hold up the current vote until I can get another test in with him ... I'll proxy the shadow tiles on Platforms 5 and 6 as lava and try it out tomorrow.

Griffin February 23rd, 2011 02:00 AM

So for now, I vote NAY.

A3n February 23rd, 2011 07:33 AM

Just to help the train with the braking, I'll vote Nay for the moment also.

GreyOwl February 23rd, 2011 10:30 AM

Okay, I'm okay with waiting on another test.

The thing with the lava is, it is thematic. I mean this guy could kill any hero with just a thought, but I can also see how it would be annoying to play against. Also, Aldin's fix is also thematic. Even though Beyonder doesn't normally change terrain around, it's not beyond (no pun intended) his ability to do so. It's not that far off from him putting Battleworld together.

But yeah, let's try some more tests with lava and see where we stand.

Griffin February 23rd, 2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyOwl (Post 1348292)

The thing with the lava is, it is thematic. I mean this guy could kill any hero with just a thought, but I can also see how it would be annoying to play against. Also, Aldin's fix is also thematic. Even though Beyonder doesn't normally change terrain around, it's not beyond (no pun intended) his ability to do so. It's not that far off from him putting Battleworld together.

If it is thematic for him to do all those things that I listed, can I have some references where he has done them? Not trying to be too too cocky here, but I bet you won't be able to produce those references.

IAmBatman February 23rd, 2011 11:45 AM

- Army Test/ Does it pass?
Map: Platforms 5 and 6
Units: Beyonder (2500) vs. Invisible Woman (215), Blob (165), Super-Skrull (340), Martian Manhunter (300), Green Lantern John Stewart (340), Graviton (400), Jean Grey (180), Loki (420), and Spider-Girl (140) (2500)
Spoiler Alert!

GreyOwl February 23rd, 2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1348345)
Quote:

If it is thematic for him to do all those things that I listed, can I have some references where he has done them? Not trying to be too too cocky here, but I bet you won't be able to produce those references.

I didn't mean that he had done those specific things, I meant that it's within his power to do so if he wanted. Kind of like Superman being able to fly to Pluto. There may not be a comic where he ever did it, but given what we know about his powers we know he could do it. Same with Beyonder - he can do anything, so that's within his power, and therefore not unthematic.

But it really doesn't matter, because I'm open to changing or removing that power if we need to, it's not a big deal. Let's see what Bats comes up with in his playtests.

Griffin February 23rd, 2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyOwl (Post 1348359)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1348345)
Quote:

I didn't mean that he had done those specific things, I meant that it's within his power to do so if he wanted. Kind of like Superman being able to fly to Pluto. There may not be a comic where he ever did it, but given what we know about his powers we know he could do it. Same with Beyonder - he can do anything, so that's within his power, and therefore not unthematic.

But it really doesn't matter, because I'm open to changing or removing that power if we need to, it's not a big deal. Let's see what Bats comes up with in his playtests.

Gotcha. Now just so you understand where I am coming from on this, I think that it is bit crazy to put a power on a card of a character, and it be a power that the character has never done. I mean technically, Beyonder could turn everyone on the battlefield into a gelatinous cube, but why would we want to do that if it is something he has never done?

I think that it is clear that the proposed power was simply a "fixit" power, and there is nothing entirely wrong with that, but there is IMO, when the power has no true representation of the character.

There, I just wanted to make sure you knew why I voted the way I did, and that it had nothing to do with the rest of the design (which I think is great btw). :)

GreyOwl February 23rd, 2011 12:34 PM

Oh, the power is absolutely a fixit power, I don't think anyone is denying that. I understand your vote, and I don't even fully disagree, so no worries.

So just in case the playtest shows that it is a problem, do you have any other ideas on fixing it?

(by the way, we could totally do the gelatinous cube idea! :p )

IAmBatman February 23rd, 2011 12:41 PM

Playtest is in. :-) Judge for yourself if this is a problem.

GreyOwl February 23rd, 2011 12:50 PM

Sounds fine to me. I'd be okay with dropping that third power. I'm sure he'd be a problem against figures that can't counter him as well, but that's what happens in random drafts.

Aldin February 23rd, 2011 12:56 PM

Your playtest confuses me a bit. Against that matchup, isn't moving to lava and grabbing Blob the first thing Beyonder would do? Now he's where he wants to be and can't be moved. Neither defense against movement causes any harm to Beyonder either - so why did he shy away from attempts?

~Aldin, who also thinks the heroes did pretty well to average inflicting 2 wounds per OM

IAmBatman February 23rd, 2011 01:00 PM

He did move to lava first thing - but Graviton threw him away from it and then (with Blob's permission) threw Blob into him to stick him away from lava.
Martian Manhunter throwing 8 dice from extreme height made the 2 wounds per OM fairly easy. Also, Beyonder's defensive rolls were not that great for the game overall.
I'm not sure what you mean with your other point ... Graviton's grasp can prevent people from attacking, though. Also, he shied away from some mind control rolls simply because a failed roll (happened several times) is a wasted turn. Psionic Grip and Gravitational Grasp were useful for stopping those he did mind control from taking the hot lava plunge.

Aldin February 23rd, 2011 01:10 PM

*shrug*

Fair enough. But now it looks like he might be way too weak? Since he may stat up quite a bit in playtesting, would you be willing to check this again after he gets to where he doesn't get spanked like a little girl?

~Aldin, not liking the idea that a combination of half his points of heroes can totally pwn him

GreyOwl February 23rd, 2011 01:16 PM

Yeah, I kind of wondered if he was too weak after reading that, too.

If we think he needs some beefing up, some options are to give him range, give him a power that allows for multiple attacks per OM, or simply bump his Life.

IAmBatman February 23rd, 2011 01:26 PM

I don't think he needs any beefing up. Don't go just based on a single playtest. Recall that he totally owned a 2000+ point X-Men team on a non-lava map. At 2500 points there are so many factors involved that there's going to be a good deal of swing.
I think what we need to do now is get this guy to additional playtesting and settle on what his cost should be. I think the design is fine at the moment.
It's not every army that will be able to so effectively counter every single thing Beyonder does - and this one had a good deal of dice luck to boot.

IAmBatman February 23rd, 2011 01:33 PM

Also, I failed to mention that the one wound on Blob came from when Beyonder went all Mere Pawns on him and walked him into lava. Had Blob failed to roll over a 10, he would've died instead of taking one wound, and the game might've been totally different.

Aldin February 23rd, 2011 01:44 PM

I wonder if we need several lava map tests?

~Aldin, toastily

IAmBatman February 23rd, 2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldin (Post 1348450)
I wonder if we need several lava map tests?

~Aldin, toastily

Well the original concern was that he'd be broken on a lava map, right? Do we really need any more tests to confirm that he's not?

Griffin February 23rd, 2011 02:37 PM

I think I am ready at this point to stop theoryscaping and fear mongering about the design, and just have the playtesters give us some real results to add to the already solid results. Thanks for that Bats.

Aldin February 23rd, 2011 02:43 PM

I'll drop the "theoryscaping and fearmongering" and apologize for expressing concerns about a figure that annhilated 2,000 points of X-Men on a typical map and then got spanked by 2,000 points of hodge podge (Loki held out of the fight) on a favorable map. Sounds like he's ready to go to me.

~Aldin, unsubscribingly

Griffin February 23rd, 2011 02:52 PM

Apology accepted. I too am ready for him to go "get more results so we can make a truly informed decision". Thanks for the support.

IAmBatman February 23rd, 2011 03:04 PM

Beyonder is a crazy swingy unit, which I think, given the power level we're trying to represent here (both thematically and in point value), is probably unavoidable.
I by no means consider his design or his cost "set" (in fact, after that last test, I think he should probably be moved to playtesting at around 2250 points), nor do I consider his powers set. But I think putting him in the hands of other testers and seeing where they're at is the best thing we can do right now.
Honestly, a guy like this should probably go through about six testers before we can consider him finished.

GreyOwl February 23rd, 2011 06:25 PM

Okay, so back to...I propose we send Beyonder to the playtesters.

Thanks for your help everyone!

IAmBatman February 23rd, 2011 06:37 PM

yea

Griffin February 23rd, 2011 06:47 PM

Yea for more playtesting.

SirGalahad February 23rd, 2011 08:11 PM

yea

Hahma February 23rd, 2011 09:58 PM

yea

IAmBatman February 23rd, 2011 10:02 PM

yea from Spidey too, since I'm proxying for him. :-)

A3n February 23rd, 2011 10:22 PM

Yea

GreyOwl February 23rd, 2011 10:47 PM

whitestuff and Necro left...

whitestuff February 24th, 2011 03:20 AM

Yea

Spidey'tilIDie February 24th, 2011 04:00 AM

I am actually back now, so here is my Yea.
I would also like to point out that (Aldin, I hope your still reading along) a move to playtesting by no means implies a unit is ready to go public. In fact, with the exception of Anti-monitor, every event hero has had to undergo numerous rounds of designing and playtesting. Just look at Ultron, who I think turned out pretty darn good. More playtesting will just give an idea of directions to go to improve him. Then it will be on to another round of playtesting.