Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Heroscape Strategy Articles (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Q10 is he the new Q9? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=20022)

DeadEye July 14th, 2008 12:19 AM

Re: Q10 is he the new Q9?

I agree with Onacara,
I have Vydar as my favorite General and like to play these 2 alot,

yet i do agree that people keep looking over that they are not completely, but do have their differences. Q9 and Q10 take different roles in an army, yet those roles are similar yet not the same,

DeadEye

Revdyer July 14th, 2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clancampbell (Post 616072)
So I take a character that neither myself or anyone in my group has ever used before, and now he'll get some playtime, at least for a little while. I guess it just makes me feel good that yet another figure has been moved to the possible play section, from the dust collector section, of my shelves.

I think this is great, clancampbell. Most of us have units that have not gotten a full or fair workout, I suspect. Some of the HeroScape units obviously take more practice to get good with than others, and that takes plenty of game time, a thing not in over abundance for most of us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara (Post 616119)
I think the biggest problem with people comparing the 2 of them is that they try and play them both the "same way" and you just cannot.

This is an excellent point, Onacara. The same applies to several units that are similar to each other, e. g., the 4th Massachusetts Line and the 10th Regiment of Foot, or the Minions of Utgar and the Sentinels of Jandar. In each case, while similar, the units really do need to be played with different nuances and tactics.

That says something positive for the depth of this game, I think. (It might just say something about the shallowness of my mind, of course. <grin> I've heard "real gamers" say that HeroScape is too simple for them.)

Onacara July 14th, 2008 08:55 AM

The 4th and 10th are definitely 2 different breeds of cat as far as how you play them and ironically they both stay fairly true to the real units they represent. The 4th work much in the way the Colonial Militia went about their business. You get them up high and undercover and have them dig in and fire away. The 10th have that we can stand here and shoot you or we can mix it up and get dirty kind of play. And while the 10th can be played more like the 4th...it does not work the other way around.

:ponder: If the 10th actuallly did that 235 years ago we might all be speaking differently :wink:

Dredd Stev July 14th, 2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRev
That says something positive for the depth of this game, I think. (It might just say something about the shallowness of my mind, of course. <grin> I've heard "real gamers" say that HeroScape is too simple for them.)

I would argue that these nay-sayers have NOT sat down a taken the time to fully understand the Game. There is a "critical mass" of sorts when it come to playing Scape, and I find that once a player hits that level (A hard-to-quantify combination of playtime, map building experience and familiarity with the figures) they start to find depth in the game that was once invisible to them.

I LOVE it when I'm there to see a strategic mind 'CLICK' and suddenly they start asking to "play one more game".

1Mmirg July 14th, 2008 09:17 AM

I'm with you Onacara, they are two different units. The big difference/advantage, for me, is that Q10 can get range 7 with 4 attacks and Q9 can't match that. He blows Q10 away in lots of other ways, but that special with a range of 7 and 4 chances to target units, well, that is the ultimate low defense squad killer and perfect for all the new lower ranged units (it just ripes through the 10th Regiment, for example) and denies Wait then Fire much use.

Q10 isn't the resilient tank that Q9 is, but he has his specific uses and does what he does well.

orc king 101 July 14th, 2008 11:52 AM

Not to get off subject, But thats the only reason I like mimring. His fire line attack and it can also go 4 times. so mimring and and Q9 must be a good pair even though on diffrent armys

Onacara July 14th, 2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orc king 101 (Post 616476)
Not to get off subject, But thats the only reason I like mimring. His fire line attack and it can also go 4 times. so mimring and and Q9 must be a good pair even though on diffrent armys

Mimring cannot ALSO go 4 times. (unless you meant something else to which I then respond :wtf: )

Agent of Vydar July 14th, 2008 11:56 AM

Q9 is basically a tank with his 7 defense and can use his special attack multiple times. Q10, although easier to destroy, has two very powerful special attacks. Although Q9 is at the top Q10 ranks second probably among all the soulborgs.

orc king 101 July 14th, 2008 12:00 PM

I just checked and youre right sorry but it is agreat atack and paired with Q9 it would look so cool and I bet they would work great together!!

Agent of Vydar July 14th, 2008 12:01 PM

He can go one time attacking 8 in one line.

orc king 101 July 14th, 2008 12:03 PM

Any way Im just waiting to see what Q11 looks like. He will probroly have better attacks than Q9 and Q10 put together.

Agent of Vydar July 14th, 2008 12:04 PM

When have they mentioned Q11?