Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Lamaclown August 18th, 2011 11:28 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1464573)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1464548)
Arachnids, Insects, and Beasts would work.

WALK WITH THE ANIMALS
After taking a turn with Dr. Doolittle, you may move up to two Arachnids, Insects or Beasts you control up to 4 spaces each.

TALK WITH THE ANIMALS
Instead of taking a turn with Dr. Dolittle, you may take a turn with any Arachnid, Insect or Beast unit you control.

THE GOOD DOCTOR
If Dr. Doolittle ends his turn adjacent to a Unique Arachnid, Insect or Beast Hero you control, you may remove up to two wound markers from that Hero's army card.

I like what you've got here. Though I'm not sure Beast should be one of the possibilities. Beast would include Ice Troll, Krug, Mimring, and the Swog Rider. Perhaps we should remove Beast and add Vipers and/or Wolves.

That is the problem I was running into before. "Beasts" seemed like the obvious choice but it doesn't include wolves (which are a really thematic match) and it does include figures that, thematically, don't really fit Dr. Dolittle. It was a really annoying problem. That is why I brought him here so that I wouldn't have to try to fix him.

So come on guys and fix him for me. :)

JC McMinis August 18th, 2011 11:33 PM

Being the 1st person to have a character (Simon Belmont) passed in the HoF thread, I am glad to see that this thread is still going strong. Once I get a working computer again, I hope to once agai participate in this project.

Taeblewalker August 18th, 2011 11:34 PM

Perhaps the best way to handle it is to create some new units to go with him, with the class Animal. This way, we could design a Llama (no clowning intended), etc.

Lamaclown August 18th, 2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1464594)
Perhaps the best way to handle it is to create some new units to go with him, with the class Animal. This way, we could design a Llama (no clowning intended), etc.

LOL! :D
He could use a pushmi-pullyu

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1464592)
Being the 1st person to have a character (Simon Belmont) passed in the HoF thread, I am glad to see that this thread is still going strong. Once I get a working computer again, I hope to once agai participate in this project.

We'd be glad to have you back!

mac122 August 19th, 2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1464584)
That is the problem I was running into before. "Beasts" seemed like the obvious choice but it doesn't include wolves (which are a really thematic match) and it does include figures that, thematically, don't really fit Dr. Dolittle. It was a really annoying problem. That is why I brought him here so that I wouldn't have to try to fix him.

So come on guys and fix him for me. :)

I think if we stick with the species and list Arachnids, Insects, Vipers, and Wolves we won't get too many odd pairings.

Working off of what Taeblewalker had:
Quote:

WALK WITH THE ANIMALS
After taking a turn with Dr. Doolittle, you may move up to three Arachnid, Insect, Viper or Wolf figures you control up to 4 spaces each.

TALK WITH THE ANIMALS
Instead of taking a turn with Dr. Dolittle, you may take a turn with any Arachnid, Insect, Viper, or Wolf unit you control.

THE GOOD DOCTOR
If Dr. Doolittle ends his turn adjacent to a Unique Arachnid, Insect, Viper, or Wolf Hero you control, you may remove up to two wound markers from that Hero's army card.
It really doesn't make the text that much longer and covers all(?) the "animal" figures in Scape.

If we make it three figures moving in Walk with the Animals, the Doctor should be able to bring a whole squad with him as protection.

Rav August 19th, 2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

I like this idea to go along with also being able to control existing figures.

I was thinking you could use a children's farm/zoo animal figure set to make a small squad of animals they would be very low cost and would work well with the doctor.

Bears (2-3): with swipe attack, low attack, low defense, gain bonuses if Dr. D is within so many spaces.

Insect Swarm: low attack, high defense. Special abilty is Disruptive, can agitate adjacent enemies by lowering attack and defense.

Horses/Zebras/Elelphants: thinking of some sort of Carry ability for friendly units and stampede attack.

mac122 August 19th, 2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav (Post 1464759)
Quote:

I like this idea to go along with also being able to control existing figures.

I was thinking you could use a children's farm/zoo animal figure set to make a small squad of animals they would be very low cost and would work well with the doctor.

Bears (2-3): with swipe attack, low attack, low defense, gain bonuses if Dr. D is within so many spaces.

Insect Swarm: low attack, high defense. Special abilty is Disruptive, can agitate adjacent enemies by lowering attack and defense.

Horses/Zebras/Elelphants: thinking of some sort of Carry ability for friendly units and stampede attack.

The more I think about it, this may be the way to go with the Doctor - create several simple animal hero and squad cards that go with him instead of trying to make his abilities fit with the "animal" Scape figures. Wolves of Badru make sense but not so much the Anubian Wolves.

Lamaclown August 19th, 2011 07:55 PM

If you guys seriously want to go the route of creating some animals to go with the Dr., I already happen to have several designed. I worked on a beastmaster custom a long time ago after getting a pack of animals at Michaels (the packs of animals are readily available at any place that sells stuff for model railroads and school project dioramas). I have a lion, a rhino, a bear, and a couple of others; I'll have to try to dig up the designs.

Taeblewalker August 19th, 2011 08:57 PM

That would be great, LC. I once made a falcon squad. If we make the class animals for all of them, that would free up species.

mac122 August 19th, 2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1465122)
If you guys seriously want to go the route of creating some animals to go with the Dr., I already happen to have several designed. I worked on a beastmaster custom a long time ago after getting a pack of animals at Michaels (the packs of animals are readily available at any place that sells stuff for model railroads and school project dioramas). I have a lion, a rhino, a bear, and a couple of others; I'll have to try to dig up the designs.

Yes, I really think it would be much more thematic to have the Doctor talking to "real" animals. The larger animals could be uniques (if they match a creature from the stories) or uncommon heroes. Smaller animals could be squads like Taeblewalker refers to with his Falcon squad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1465158)
That would be great, LC. I once made a falcon squad. If we make the class animals for all of them, that would free up species.

Exactly! And that should keep any funky synergies to a minimum.

Lamaclown August 19th, 2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1465158)

A falcon squad would be awesome to have.

I found my old designs for the animals. They were very simple designs that all used already existing abilities, nothing terribly exciting.
Quote:

LION
Aquilla/ Ullar?
Lion
Uncommon Hero
Animal
Ferocious

Life 6
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 3

FELINE AGILITY
When this lion rolls defense dice against an attack from a figure that is adjacent, 1 shield will block all damage.

LETHAL JAWS
When rolling attack dice against a small or medium figure, if this lion rolls 3 or more skulls, the defending figure cannot roll any defense dice and is mmediately destroyed.

GORILLA
Aquilla/ Ullar?
Gorilla
Uncommon Hero
Animal
Ferocious

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 3

WOUNDED SMASH
When this gorilla attacks it receives one additional attack die for each wound marker on this card.

MOUNTAIN LION
Aquilla/ Ullar?
Moutain Lion
Uncommon Hero
Animal
Ferocious

Life 6
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 3

FELINE AGILITY
When this lion rolls defense dice against an attack from a figure that is adjacent, 1 shield will block all damage.

DOUBLE ATTACK
When this Mountain Lion attacks, it may attack one additional time.

RHINOCEROS
Aquilla/ Ullar?
Rhinoceros
Uncommon Hero
Animal
Unrelenting

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 5

RHINO CHARGE
If this Rhinoceros attacks a figure that was at least 4 spaces away from this Rhinoceros at the beginning its turn, add 1 attack die to its attack.

IMMOVABLE
Add 1 to this Rhinoceros' defense if it has not moved this round.

BEAR
Aquilla/ Ullar?
Bear
Uncommon Hero
Animal
Ferocious

Life 6
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 4

MAUL
When rolling attack dice against small or medium figures, if this Bear rolls 3 or more skulls, the defending receives one wound for every skull and cannot roll defense dice.

mac122 August 20th, 2011 01:07 AM

That's a great start, LC! Let's finish Dr. Doolittle then work on these.

--------------
I've finished making all the playtesting cards. While I was at it, I went through and updated all the previous cards. I've changed a few images and hit zones. Please let me know if you find any errors or notice anything that needs to be edited.
Spoiler Alert!