Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of C3G Destructible Object Rules (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=55039)

Lazy Orang February 27th, 2019 05:55 PM

Re: Draftable Vehicles Discussion Thread (Public Testing)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2258504)
I think cutting off some things makes sense. Like if a car blocks engagement and clear sight, for instance, it cuts off a lot of powers while leaving a lot of others.

That would be my barometer on a thematic level. Can Xavier command you if you're in a car? Yes. Can Luke Cage? No.

IAmBatman February 27th, 2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy Orang (Post 2258510)
Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2258504)
I think cutting off some things makes sense. Like if a car blocks engagement and clear sight, for instance, it cuts off a lot of powers while leaving a lot of others.

That would be my barometer on a thematic level. Can Xavier command you if you're in a car? Yes. Can Luke Cage? No.

And that would seem thematically consistent with small structures, IMO. You can't engagement strike through even a porta john wall, but you could mind read through it, for instance.

Lazy Orang February 27th, 2019 06:05 PM

Okay, sounds like we're in agreement here. Would Joker being able to Reorganise Chaos from within a car be a concern? Arguably there are already figures who'd help his defences more, but I am concerned about anything that could make that little bastard more powerful (I have some bad memories :razz:).

Tornado February 27th, 2019 06:56 PM

The main issue was the Car being armor correct?
What if instead of rolling an unlockable attack die when the Car is destroyed, instead all excess wounds go to all passengers?
It is still armor but not nearly as good.

Lazy Orang February 27th, 2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2258541)
What if instead of rolling an unlockable attack die when the Car is destroyed, instead all excess wounds go to all passengers?

That could be one way to do it, but how do you spread that? Other ways would include:

1) Increasing the damage involved in being wrecked (2 unblockables, 3 unblockables etc).
2) Making the 1 unblockable whenever the car receives a wound, whether destroyed or not (those bullets might just go through the glass; being punched by Superman might just hurt the occupants; ramming into the Hulk might result in whiplash from the impact. This might be my favourite; kind of feels more realistic than the current rule, honestly - being in a car doesn't make you invulnerable, but does provide some cover).
or;
3) Both (probably the most realistic, but also possibly too harsh).

Tornado February 27th, 2019 07:06 PM

No spread. Both passengers take the full damage is what I propose.

IAmBatman February 27th, 2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy Orang (Post 2258516)
Okay, sounds like we're in agreement here. Would Joker being able to Reorganise Chaos from within a car be a concern? Arguably there are already figures who'd help his defences more, but I am concerned about anything that could make that little bastard more powerful (I have some bad memories :razz:).

Thematically he definitely should be able to create that level of chaos from a car, IMO (and a future Jokermobile!).

Mechanically/competitively it's a concern.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy Orang (Post 2258545)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2258541)

That could be one way to do it, but how do you spread that? Other ways would include:

1) Increasing the damage involved in being wrecked (2 unblockables, 3 unblockables etc).
2) Making the 1 unblockable whenever the car receives a wound, whether destroyed or not (those bullets might just go through the glass; being punched by Superman might just hurt the occupants; ramming into the Hulk might result in whiplash from the impact. This might be my favourite; kind of feels more realistic than the current rule, honestly - being in a car doesn't make you invulnerable, but does provide some cover).
or;
3) Both (probably the most realistic, but also possibly too harsh).

I really, really like option 2 above as the most elegant way to handle it. It's a very small tweak that I could see paying big dividends. And it really prevents it from being full armor. In fact, that'd weaken a lot of characters' defense when in it.

My only concern with that tweak is that it might go back to making riding in cars unappealing! I think it's thematic, though, as often being behind the wheel is MORE dangerous, not less.

Tornado February 27th, 2019 09:55 PM

I like my suggestion because it is less variable. You know exactly how much protection you are getting. That should be easier to cost.

IAmBatman February 27th, 2019 10:00 PM

There's a point to that. I kind of like the theme of taking damage while driving around too, though.

Any feelings on this @Ronin ? Or anyone else invested? I think there are some viable options here we could work with.

Lazy Orang February 28th, 2019 05:06 AM

6 Def and a 50/50 chance of taking a wound whenever the car does is still solid protection, just not completely reliable, which feels right for being behind the wheel, IMO, and protection isn't all it's offering. I don't feel like cars really need to be tanks or mobile bunkers - you're using them for the 8 Move and Hit and Run damage as much as cover. Might lower their cost, but that's no bad thing.

IAmBatman March 4th, 2019 09:38 PM

OK, these will ultimately, I think, be applicable to the Enclosed Structure rules as well, once we change the word "Vehicles" a few dozen times, but I wanted to start here, since, you know, I haven't changed that word yet. :-P

Let me know if you all think the proposed changes work and if we can/should test that way. If so, we can resurrect the Porta Toilet and Sports Car both, I believe!

Spoiler Alert!

Yodaking March 4th, 2019 09:49 PM

I really like the concept to partial or full coverage as it relates to clear sight and things like windows. I think flame thrower type of SA will like roasting a car and everyone in it, which will be fun!

Not sure I agree with the part about Blob preventing Magneto from tossing a car around. In physics it's call relativity, Blob can't be moved relative to his seat in the car, but the car can be moved relative to the Earth. It the reason why you can jump up in down in a plane that's moving at 500 mph above the Earth without flying backwards. Being inside of the plane makes your movement, or lack of movement in the case of Blob, relative to the plane, not the planet.