Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

JC McMinis November 8th, 2011 01:18 AM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

I misunderstood how you wanted the mechanics of it to work is all. I thought you wanted it to work only on a natural 20. :oops: My bad.

mac122 November 8th, 2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1510769)
I misunderstood how you wanted the mechanics of it to work is all. I thought you wanted it to work only on a natural 20. :oops: My bad.

Actually, I do want that. I'd like it to be a 50-50 chance of blocking wounds from a special and that 1 in 20 longshot of damaging the attacker. Unfortunately, the way the abilities are worded, it won't work that way.

This is one suggestion to fix it
Quote:

BY THEIR OWN DEVICE
Whenever Doc Savage or any friendly figure adjacent to Doc Savage would receive wounds from an opponent's special attack or special ability, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, ignore any wounds. If you roll a 20, the opponent's figure receives those wounds instead. You may not use One Step Ahead when rolling for By Their Own Device.
Or skip the potential damage to the aggressor altogether and highlight Doc's ability to avoid injury and protect his companions with something like this:
Quote:

BRONZE PROTECTOR
When Doc Savage or any friendly figures adjacent to Doc Savage would receive wounds or be destroyed by an opponent's special attack or special ability, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, any wounds are ignored and Doc Savage and any friendly figures adjacent to Doc Savage are safe for the remainder of your opponent's turn.

machinekng November 8th, 2011 08:41 AM

I like the theme of By Their Own Devices better.

I also think that Doc Savage should be priced and playtested against Marvel/C3G, and his card should be in Marvel style. This guy simply does not fit in place in Valhalla, unfortunately. He's simply too good at everything. He's a one man army, and Heroscape wasn't meant to have him.

mac122 November 8th, 2011 09:34 AM

I wish you'd quit sugar-coating things and tell me how you really feel. ;)

As you might expect, I completely disagree with your opinion. However, if the others in the group agree with you, then I will withdraw the design and we can move on to the next designer.

SirGalahad November 8th, 2011 09:56 AM

What if you avoided the d20 modifier altogether?

TWO STEPS AHEAD
If there are at least 2 Order Markers on this card, you may add 2 to your initiative roll.

or

TWO STEPS AHEAD
If there are at least 2 Order Markers on this card, you may add 2 to Doc Savage's Move number.

and drop the BTOD roll down to 11, which accomplishes what you were looking for.

mac122 November 8th, 2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1510849)
What if you avoided the d20 modifier altogether?

TWO STEPS AHEAD
If there are at least 2 Order Markers on this card, you may add 2 to your initiative roll.

or

TWO STEPS AHEAD
If there are at least 2 Order Markers on this card, you may add 2 to Doc Savage's Move number.

and drop the BTOD roll down to 11, which accomplishes what you were looking for.

Two Steps Ahead was supposed to represent Doc's intellect and his ability to outwit his opponent's and be "two steps ahead". I'd rather drop it than make it a move boost - he already has a move of 6. Perhaps dropping it would make him more balanced as well. And as you said, it eliminates the problem with modifiying the BTOD roll.

Quote:

Life 5
Move 6
Range 5
Attack 3
Defense 3

BRONZE WHIRLWIND
When Doc Savage attacks, he may attack up to 2 additional times. Doc Savage may not attack the same figure more than once per turn. When Doc Savage attacks an adjacent figure, add 2 dice to his attack.

BRONZE GHOST
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack, 1 shield will block all damage. Doc Savage can move through all figures and is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

BY THEIR OWN DEVICE
Whenever Doc Savage or any friendly figure adjacent to Doc Savage would receive wounds from an opponent's special attack or special power, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, ignore any wounds. If you roll a 20, the opponent's figure receives those wounds instead.
Doc's intellect is still represented in BTOD. He devises a plan or creates a device that protects himself and his companions.

Taeblewalker November 8th, 2011 01:26 PM

The only issue with By Their Own Device is that special ability should read special power.

machinekng November 8th, 2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1510822)
I like the theme of By Their Own Devices better.

I also think that Doc Savage should be priced and playtested against Marvel/C3G, and his card should be in Marvel style. This guy simply does not fit in place in Valhalla, unfortunately. He's simply too good at everything. He's a one man army, and Heroscape wasn't meant to have him.

:oops:

I worded that wrong.

What I meant to say was that, like the Marvel figures, I feel he's on a different scale. If you notice, the Marvel scenarios take place in the Marvel universe, rather than Valhalla. I think that Doc Savage fits in better with them, that he does with Classic 'Scape.

No matter what, he needs to be appropriately priced.

JC McMinis November 8th, 2011 05:33 PM

I think Doc Savage is fine for this project. As far as BtoD goes...I would put this as the last part of it. By their own Device roll cannot be changed by any power on any army card.

Taeblewalker November 8th, 2011 05:46 PM

I agree that he is much more of a super hero than a Valhalla hero.

mac122 November 8th, 2011 05:59 PM

Well, I was typing up an analysis justifying Doc for this project, but that makes 2 that don't believe he fits. I'll wait to post anything else until some others chime in.
Edit: considering the low number of active members, 2 is a relatively high percentage.

2nd edit: Considering about 1/3 of the active members of this group do not think Doc Savage is suitable for this project, I withdraw Doc Savage from the process. We can move on to the next designer.

I believe machinekng was next?

mac122 November 8th, 2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1496652)
Cool. I'll get to work on that later or tomorrow. Meanwhile:

mac122

Here's the list of those who seem at all active. Rave, KC, and wulfhunter, let me know if you want back in. Otherwise, Tickle can get started on Smurfette or whomever he has in mind. ;)

Lamaclown
jcmcminis
Taeblewalker
Tcglkn
Machineking

Machinekng is up next.