Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of C3G Destructible Object Rules (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=55039)

Soundwarp SG-1 August 8th, 2018 01:57 PM

Re: Draftable Vehicles Discussion Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by quozl (Post 2208861)
They are considered optional, like Knockback, so any tournament could just say they're not allowed.

Oh, I missed that bit. The text itself doesn't make it clear they're optional if you miss the header in the book, which is pretty easy to miss when the whole first post is otherwise useless and you're just scrolling past it as fast as possible. It might be worth adding in a 'mandatory' and 'optional' divide in the list of rules at the index, easier to keep track of them that way.

If they're an optional rule, then I really don't care what they do. They won't be used at tourneys and shouldn't effect playtesting or point costs for anyone outside of people like Lady Blackhawk, so they're not really under CRB jurisdiction. Do as y'all will.

Scapemage August 8th, 2018 03:41 PM

This is a great time to have the idea that we compile a complete C3G rulebook in one place. That one is a large project, though.

EDIT: We have a thread for that.

IAmBatman August 8th, 2018 03:48 PM

Once we feel that rulebook is a bit more "complete" we should see who wants to go in on a mass printing to save some money. :-)

Lazy Orang August 8th, 2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2208927)
Once we feel that rulebook is a bit more "complete" we should see who wants to go in on a mass printing to save some money. :-)

Someday (not any time soon, mind) I'm going to propose a set of Partial Cover optional rules - not any more necessary than Knockback, just there to provide depth and realism to those who wish to use 'em. :)

Scapemage August 8th, 2018 04:37 PM

I *might* be interested sometime down the line in doing layout design for a full-on rulebook including everything. It would be a huge portfolio piece for me.

Yodaking August 8th, 2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy Orang (Post 2208942)
Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2208927)

Someday (not any time soon, mind) I'm going to propose a set of Partial Cover optional rules - not any more necessary than Knockback, just there to provide depth and realism to those who wish to use 'em. :)

I'd like to see the desks and file cabinets I've been talking about for the office building Bats is working on provide partial cover. The idea of moving around an office building while engaging in a firefight just lends itself to people ducking and crouching here and there looking for some cover. At the very least their legs are harder to hit and damage when shooting through desks and servers.

Tornado August 8th, 2018 05:31 PM

That would be amazing Scape. It would be really real. :)
The last time we edited the rulebook for our RPG to make it in the realm of possibility for release, my friend put into pdf and the next time we played, he had it on his i-pad. Now I have had it on my PC forever but it was different on the i-pad, the way it looked, the ease of use. That was when it became really real. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 (Post 2208874)
Quote:

Originally Posted by quozl (Post 2208861)
They are considered optional, like Knockback, so any tournament could just say they're not allowed.

Oh, I missed that bit. The text itself doesn't make it clear they're optional if you miss the header in the book, which is pretty easy to miss when the whole first post is otherwise useless and you're just scrolling past it as fast as possible. It might be worth adding in a 'mandatory' and 'optional' divide in the list of rules at the index, easier to keep track of them that way.

If they're an optional rule, then I really don't care what they do. They won't be used at tourneys and shouldn't effect playtesting or point costs for anyone outside of people like Lady Blackhawk, so they're not really under CRB jurisdiction. Do as y'all will.

I hope you are still willing to lend your insight. :)

This one could expand fairly quickly if the whole urban play comes together. I always feel a little better after you chime in.

Ronin August 8th, 2018 05:34 PM

Personally, the thing I like about Heroscape is that it doesn't have things like partial cover rules, but I could see the appeal for the right kind of player.

I don't play a lot of Optional Rules. Knockback and Throwing DOs don't really appeal to me as rulesets (though the latter might if it were simpler and more digestible).

Tornado August 8th, 2018 05:44 PM

Yeah, I hope to dig into the Throw rules if we get the urban play going. It will be a bigger factor in that setting.

IAmBatman August 8th, 2018 06:47 PM

That would be awesome, Scapey!

Personally, I prefer how the jungle pieces do it - just add defense against ranged attacks. Not even sure how partial cover rules would work (but that’s probably a whole different thread if folks want to get into it).

Hellfire August 8th, 2018 07:03 PM

It definitely wasn't a "full" rulebook (which I'd love to see), but I did do up a simplified and streamlined rule reference compilation up through the Galactus ruleset because my group prefers playing with all optional rules ... in addition to missing example pictures, it'd obviously be missing new rulesets like the new spell rules and such, but it puts all the rules in one place, which we found helpful.

I skimmed through the previous discussion to try and catch up (so maybe I missed it), but how hard would it be (or how much opposition would there be) to also make a generic option for draftable DOs in addition to the VDOs? (It'd be useful for designing say, an Alien Queen, for instance.)

Ronin August 8th, 2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellfire (Post 2209008)
It definitely wasn't a "full" rulebook (which I'd love to see), but I did do up a simplified and streamlined rule reference compilation up through the Galactus ruleset because my group prefers playing with all optional rules ... in addition to missing example pictures, it'd obviously be missing new rulesets like the new spell rules and such, but it puts all the rules in one place, which we found helpful.

I skimmed through the previous discussion to try and catch up (so maybe I missed it), but how hard would it be (or how much opposition would there be) to also make a generic option for draftable DOs in addition to the VDOs? (It'd be useful for designing say, an Alien Queen, for instance.)

We were just talking about that! Draftable VDOs are strictly more complicated than regular draftable DOs, and there's some demand, so I think we probably will implement the rules that way in the end.