Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Confred April 15th, 2015 02:34 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

My turn? exciting.
My three top picks are
Sterling Archer
Jack Bauer
Dexter Morgan
I've already done Sterling and he's near where I want him.
Jack Bauer I've also worked on before but I could never pin it perfectly, so he's a good choice.
Dexter Morgan I haven't worked on at all, so that would be the purest workshop choice.

I choose Dexter Morgan!
[Now off to work] I'll update later

Confred April 16th, 2015 01:02 PM

Dexter Morgan
Phase 1: Designer Chooses Character
Character's name: Dexter Morgan
Television: Showtime: Dexter
What miniature you will be using: Haven't found one yet: Surgeon with scalpel (blood spatter ok), or Brown haired guy in black/earth-tone body suit that doesn't cover his head and holding a knife/strangling rope/needle
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...9u1da6a16d.jpg
Character Bio: Dexter Morgan is a forensic blood spatter analyst working for the Miami-Metro Police Department and secret serial killer turned anti-hero by his adopted father, who's a policeman that taught him to target only criminals that deserve more than what the law can give them while following the number 1 rule of "Never Get Caught".
Figure Design Direction:
I see two main routes Dexter can go with his design, so allow me to brainstorm if you will:
A big portion of the show is dedicated to Dexter proving himself "normal" to hide his alter ego. Thus his Army Card could primarily take on a scientist role, but when certain conditions are met like being adjacent to only one figure that's also only adjacent to Dexter, he turns serial killer.
In the show, he takes on a detective roll to fully prove those that he kills is worthy of his attention. Perhaps he attacks only Utgar figures and has the power to make figures become Utgar.
! Perhaps he is a flip card where one side he is a Vydar detective and the other side he is a Valkril serial killer -- craziness I know. But that's what brainstorming is for
Dexter attacks alone
Dexter stalks his target
Dexter isolates his target
Dexter typically focuses on only one target at a time, but he probably wouldn't use a 'target marker' mechanic
Dexter utilizes preset 'kill rooms' where he brings his targets
Dexter uses a powerful tranquilizer
Dexter uses a choking wire and a knife, set of knives.
"Code of Harry"
"Just a laminate"
1st route: Secret identity, dual roles, one as detective, other as assassin
2nd route: Serial killer with specific conditions

Tornado April 16th, 2015 01:56 PM

This one should be very cool. :) :popcorn:

McHotcakes April 16th, 2015 02:05 PM

Interesting choice Confred. I've only seen the first season of Dexter so I'm no expert, but I'll go ahead and throw out some ideas.

For the General I would actually say Einar. Dexter is by no means a good guy so that rules out Jandar and Ullar. However he does have a code and only kills those who deserve it so I think that eliminates Utgar and Valkrill.

Which leaves Aquilla, Vydar, and Einar. And well Dexter is too reserved for Aquilla, doesn't fit the mercenary theme of Vydar. So that leaves Einar, and not to mention Dexter does have a code of honor, there is a line he won't cross, which fits well with Einar imo.

For a flip card, I'd have to see what the others think, but I'd probably say no. I think a mechanic like that would be a little too far from original scape.

Here are a few ideas of powers
Dexter's Target
At the start of the game choose a Unique Hero an opponent controls to be Dexter's Target. Place the Dexter's Target token on their army card. As long as Dexter's Target token is on an opponent's hero's army card Dexter cannot be targeted by an opponent for an attack or special ability. If Dexter attacks a figure remove the Dexter's Target token from the target hero's army card.

Ambush Killer
If Dexter attacks his target he rolls 3 additional attack dice. Dexter's Target cannot roll defense dice or use any special ability if attacked by Dexter.

Code of Harry
A hero that follows Jandar or Ullar can never be Dexter's Target.

These powers are meant to convey Dexter's appearance as a normal person, and thus is ignored by others. It also focuses on making Dexter an assassin and not a warrior.

For a figure I'd say Peter Parker with a little paint and modding could easily pass as Dexter.
http://940ee6dce6677fa01d25-0f55c912...res/299234.jpg

You could also use the Star Trek figures from the Fast Forces pack. Their outfits are a little closer to Dexter, but they could be a little hard to get a hold of.

Confred April 16th, 2015 02:25 PM

That figure is perfect. I don't know how you did it. I literally spent hours looking.

I mocked up a flip card and I agree, it didn't feel right. It worked, but it didn't feel right. It also felt unnecessary. It was cool having one side be a "good" general and the other side being Valkril.

I do like the idea of at least a power named "CODE OF HARRY". I think he could easily kill Ullar figures, because he's an animal killer.

I like the idea of him being an Utgar assassin

Vydar. I think he is Vydar. I think the Miami-Metro Police are the Einar and he's the outsider that's allied with them. Einar wants an empire, while Vydar just wants it to work. (But I appreciate your thoughts.)

[All I can do for today. Time for work]

Confred April 17th, 2015 12:56 PM

Dexter Morgan
Phase 2: Brainstorming Stage
BLOOD SPLATTER ANALYST
If a figure destroys another figure, you may place the destroyed figure on that figure's Army Card. Lawmen and Dexter Morgan roll 1 additional attack die when attacking figures with figures on their Army Cards.
I like the idea of Dexter also being a support unit, specifically for Lawmen or an even more creative way I haven't thought of is a plus.
While this power's idea is in the correct direction and name perhaps spot on, the mechanics may break theme. How? well Jandar Vikings.
* I Do like how this power assists the current second bullet to Code Of Harry with memory mechanics

BLOOD SPLATTER ANALYST (v2)
If any figures were wounded last turn, instead of taking this turn normally with Dexter Morgan, you may take a turn with a Lawman hero or Lawmen squad you control, or with Dexter Morgan. For the duration of this turn, if a figure was destroyed last turn, your figures roll 1 additional attack die.
BLOOD SPLATTER ANALYST (v2.5)
If any figures were wounded last turn, instead of taking this turn normally with Dexter Morgan, you may take a turn with a Lawman hero or Lawmen squad you control, or with Dexter Morgan. For the duration of this turn, if a figure was destroyed last turn, your figures can't be attacked for leaving an engagement.

CODE OF HARRY
* Dexter Morgan can't attack if he is adjacent to a friendly figure.
* Dexter Morgan can attack only figures that have destroyed other figures this game. If the figure is a squad figure and any member of that squad has destroyed a figure, then Dexter may also choose that figure to attack.
I like the idea of Code Of Harry being a straight up bulleted list. The untranslated to game text code is: Don't get caught, and never kill an innocent - I'm pretty sure Dexter only kills murderers with few exceptions. Dexter investigates each of his targets and sometimes finds them 'not bad enough', leaving them for others to take out
CODE OF HARRY (v2)
* Dexter Morgan can't attack if he is adjacent to more than one figure.
* Dexter Morgan adds 3 to his Attack when attacking Utgar figures.
CODE OF HARRY (v2.5)
* Dexter Morgan can move through all figures.
* Dexter Morgan can add 3 to his Attack when attacking Utgar figures.
CODE OF HARRY (v2.5.2)
* Dexter Morgan may move through all figures.
* Dexter Morgan may not attack if he is adjacent to more than one figure.
* Dexter Morgan may add 3 to his Attack when attacking Utgar figures.

Confred April 17th, 2015 09:18 PM

Fun fluff while waiting for others to put in their ideas: "So this is Valhalla. Ironic that I find myself where am I allowed to kill, encouraged to even, and yet still don't belong. Harry, what should I do? It's all so messy, killing for sport. I like to think what you've taught me still applies, even here."
"Survive; it doesn't matter here I can just drink it off and have a new tomorrow. That's not the point. Don't get caught. Never kill an innocent; though none here are that, there still seems to be factions between them good and evil. I am Death walking, choosing the worst of the worst to remove from this world."

Taeblewalker April 17th, 2015 10:33 PM

I don't know anything about the character so it's hard for me to judge what you have so far. For Blood Spatter Analyst, I think it's confusing whose card the figure goes on - the destroyed figure or the one who killed it. I understand you mean the figure that did the destroying, but the wording is ambiguous.

You might try something like: "When a figure destroys another figure, you may place the destroyed figure on the Army Card of the figure that destroyed it."

That said, I see your point about the Vikings. What if the player who controls Finn wants him on a different card? How do you decide which power takes precedence? Roll it off?

Confred April 18th, 2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 2015683)
I don't know anything about the character so it's hard for me to judge what you have so far...
That said, I see your point about the Vikings...

The original mechanic is too wonky to be necessary. I think this current version is a smoother, more playable variation.

Phase 3: Draft Stage
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...f_original.jpg
(Please pardon the General's icon)
Character Name: Dexter Morgan
Name of TV Show: Dexter
Genre: Crime Drama
Faction: Valkril

Race: Human
Type: Unique Hero
Class: Serial Killer
Personality: Precise
Size: 5

Life: 4
Move: 5
Range: 1
Attack: 3
Defense: 3

BLOOD SPLATTER ANALYST
If any figures were wounded last turn, instead of taking this turn normally with Dexter Morgan, you may take a turn with a Lawman hero or Lawmen squad you control, or with Dexter Morgan. For the duration of this turn, if a figure was destroyed last turn, your figures can't be attacked for leaving an engagement.

CODE OF HARRY
* Dexter Morgan can move through all figures.
* Dexter Morgan can add 3 to his Attack when attacking Utgar figures.

-----
Commentary:
Dexter works for the police force to help solve crimes. Blood Splatter Analyst studies blood wounds to give Lawmen the heads up, or Dexter if he wants to take the law into his own hands. If the figure is destroyed, then the Lawmen have a warrant on their hands, allowing them to avoid interference from opposing line in the form of avoiding leaving engagement attacks and countering Dexter's weakness of Harry's Code not offering full Phantom Walk.

McHotcakes April 18th, 2015 01:11 PM

That's some good color work on that figure Confred.

BLOOD SPLATTER ANALYST
If any figures that you control were wounded last turn, instead of taking this turn normally with Dexter Morgan, you may take a turn with any Lawman hero or Lawmen squad you control. If a figure you control was destroyed last turn, then Dexter and all Lawman figures you control will not take leaving engagement attacks this turn.

Just some thoughts.

Also I don't know if Dexter fits in with Valkrill. Yes he has a bloodlust, but his code of honor prevents from killing just anybody, which is more Valkrill's style. Keep in mind he only kills those who "deserve" it. I would say the other killers Dexter deals with would be Valkrill, and while there is temptation to just give in to his dark side, he always resists it.

Tornado April 18th, 2015 01:44 PM

Sorry to but in but I have to agree. I think Einar is perfect for him and add Valkril to Code of Harry.
I like your version of Blood Splatter Analysis. That one is really difficult to translate to Heroscape.

Confred April 18th, 2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado
Einar is perfect

Death Knights are in Valkril and all knights have some code. I like Dexter teaming up with Death. I would argue that the other killers were Utgar. It kind of tickles me thinking of a Valkril hiding away in secret under the noses of police Einar. Evil vs Evil. Beast vs Devil.
And that color scheme!
I would argue that the police are Einar, the other researchers are Vydar, his sister is Jandar, but he distinctly sticks out. Harry would even be Einar probably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes
Blood Splatter changes, figure compliment

Blood Splatter functional changes I'll have to think on because in a three payer game is like to activate even when it's the other two duking it out, but I understand a four player team game taking advantage if it's your teammate that's the player before you. I tried to add stipulations like if an enemy figure destroys a figure but something happened: I realized I liked the idea of Dexter tampering with the evidence, having warrants written up even when it was perhaps he that did the kill
But I'll think about that change and play testing will also show some wants
I will change "a" to "any" - good catch.
Interesting on the end there. I'll probably stick with "duration" but my shortcut to save words might be inappropriate and I might would need to specify lawmen and Dexter as you out it instead of simply "figures"
And thanks for the compliment. It was my first coloration alteration using paint.net and I too like how it turned out. Thank you again for that figure suggestion. It looks perfect. You should tell me how you found him ;)