Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Arsenal (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=55087)

IAmBatman August 15th, 2018 07:45 PM

The Book of Arsenal

The Book of Arsenal

C3G DC WAVE 32
YEAR OF THE HERO

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...enal_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...senal_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the DC Legacy set.
Its model number and name are #40 / Speedy
Its model number and name are #41-42 / Arsenal
Its model number and name are #202 / Roy Harper Jr.

This design requires one copy of the Utility: Bolas Equipment Glyph.

Character Bio - After he was Speedy, before he wore a fabulous black trucker hat, Roy used a lot of high tech weaponry and bounced around between the Titans and the Outsiders.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • Arsenal may use his Team Cover Fire special power to attack on the same turn as another Titan or Interloper and to move another Titan or Interloper.
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-

-Heroscapers Community Contributions-
31 March 2021 - Updated how glyphs with tags are referenced

IAmBatman August 15th, 2018 07:45 PM

Re: The Book of Arsenal (Breathing Period)

NAME = ARSENAL
SECRET IDENTITY = ROY HARPER

SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = TITAN
PERSONALITY = VOLATILE
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 4
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 4
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 4
POINTS = 190

BOLAS

Start the game with a Glyph of Bolas on this card. Arsenal cannot lose this glyph by receiving wounds unless he is destroyed.

ARSENAL
Before attacking with Arsenal’s normal attack you may choose to:
• add 4 to his Range number this turn; or
• subtract 1 from the defending figure's Defense number; or
• count all blanks rolled as extra skulls.

TEAM COVER FIRE
After revealing an Order Marker on the Army Card of another Unique Hero you control that is an Interloper or Titan and moving that Unique Hero, before attacking with that Unique Hero, if Arsenal has not yet moved or attacked this turn, Arsenal may immediately attack an opponent's figure with his normal attack. Immediately after the opponent rolls defense dice, you may move Arsenal or one other Titan or Interloper figure you control up to 2 spaces. Figures moved this way will not take leaving engagement attacks.

IAmBatman August 15th, 2018 07:48 PM

I decided to go with several notions from the Last Chance Workshop here. Though I really liked Tornado's idea to have the movement in Team Cover Fire be variable based on the number of skulls rolled, ultimately I scrapped it to simplify where I went with the power a tad.

After notes from Spidey and co on him really never being fully the top leader, but always more of a secondary leader, I decided I'd rather keep the established Speed Shot aesthetic of having him operate without an Order Marker, so I incorporated that and the free movement both into Team Cover Fire. In order to keep that in check, though, I put a hard cap on the figure movement of just him and one other Interloper/Titan.

I also nixed his double attack option from his arsenal and instead went with a defensive reduction and with Spidey's idea of doubling skulls on an attack reduction. This should give him a bit more variety, I think, and really make it feel like a fuller "arsenal."

Bolas is still there. Since I dropped the double attack and the skulls causing the number of figures to move, I upped his attack back to 4.

I went with Titan over Interloper on the desires of japes.

IAmBatman August 15th, 2018 07:52 PM

@Arkham @japes @johnny139 @Ronin @Spidey'tilIDie @Tornado @Yodaking @Scapemage

Scapemage August 15th, 2018 07:52 PM

No new comments here. So long as he's working well with Interlopers and Titans, I'm all in. :)

IAmBatman August 15th, 2018 07:52 PM

@Arkham
@japes
@johnny139
@Ronin
@Spidey'tilIDie
@Tornado
@Yodaking
@Scapemage

Spidey'tilIDie August 15th, 2018 07:55 PM

Aww, i really liked the double attack. I guess this fixes the issue of people feeling it was the clear choice (though I thought spicing up those other choices would also work.)

IAmBatman August 15th, 2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie (Post 2211833)
Aww, i really liked the double attack. I guess this fixes the issue of people feeling it was the clear choice (though I thought spicing up those other choices would also work.)

The biggest reason I dropped it is that I didn't want him coming in too strong with the free movements after I made it a passive power that didn't require an OM turn for him.

Ronin August 15th, 2018 09:04 PM

Dig the design, though the last power is looking pretty stuffed. Might cut out the 8 clear sight spaces requirement, just to have one less thing in there.

Yodaking August 15th, 2018 09:09 PM

I only wonder if he should really be a 190 point guy or not. Oliver is only 150, Hawkeye is 150 or 160, the first Batman was 200, he's just a well trained regular human right? Did he really surpass Oliver by that much and get that close to Batman levels?

When I lobbied for the minus defense option I was thinking just a flat -1 since it's automatic. Oliver's skill shot only gets him a -2 (or better) 50% of the time. Since Roy doesn't need to roll the d20, he just gets the power whenever he needs it, I'd bring in down to -1.

japes August 15th, 2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaking (Post 2211860)
I only wonder if he should really be a 190 point guy or not. Oliver is only 150, Hawkeye is 150 or 160, the first Batman was 200, he's just a well trained regular human right? Did he really surpass Oliver by that much and get that close to Batman levels?

When I lobbied for the minus defense option I was thinking just a flat -1 since it's automatic. Oliver's skill shot only gets him a -2 (or better) 50% of the time. Since Roy doesn't need to roll the d20, he just gets the power whenever he needs it, I'd bring in down to -1.

I think he has a point. Right now I think I'd use -2 defense every time I'm in range.

IAmBatman August 16th, 2018 06:07 AM

I’m fine with going -1.

The points are there as a guess, mostly based on the value of Team Cover Fire, but I have reigned that in a bit. If we go to the -1 I could see trying him at 170. If folks think that’s too much, could put his normal attack down to 3 and try him at 150.

Ronin August 16th, 2018 11:43 AM

I don't have a problem with him coming in a little over Ollie, points-wise, since some of that is coming from factional/leadership stuff (and I could see an Ollie that came in a little higher than the present one, points-wise). I think having him come in at 160-170 is reasonable.

johnny139 August 16th, 2018 02:24 PM

I like him - seems like a fun design with a lot of options. No real concerns other than that one stuffed power, as Ronin mentioned. Rest of his card is simple enough that I'm not too worried.

Yodaking August 16th, 2018 03:27 PM

Yeah, I get the leadership stuff will add to his point total in excess of those similar units without any leadership power, but Hawkeye II has a leadership power as well at 160 and Red Arrow has a pretty similar free attack power at 150, so I just want to make sure we keep things in perspective here. I'd be more comfortable around the 170 range than the 200 range for him.

IAmBatman August 16th, 2018 03:46 PM

No worries. After the Breathing Period, I'll cut his one Arsenal option down to -1 defense and I'll take the 8 clear sight spaces requirement out of Team Cover Fire, then if he ends up coming in too powerful during testing, we'll look into adjustments (probably lowering his attack).

Is is, though, I the 190 is probably higher than he will be. With the above changes I'll try him at 170 for testing.

Ronin August 16th, 2018 03:58 PM

:up:

IAmBatman August 16th, 2018 10:06 PM

SP updated accordingly and no other comments in the meantime, so I propose we move to Initial Playtesting with the current design!

Arkham - yea
@japes - yea
@johnny139 - yea
@Ronin - yea
@Spidey'tilIDie - yea
@Tornado - yea
@Yodaking - yea
@Scapemage - yea

Arkham August 16th, 2018 10:06 PM

yea

Ronin August 16th, 2018 10:06 PM

yea

IAmBatman August 16th, 2018 10:11 PM

Any volunteers for this one? I'll try to keep doing public tests here and there, but I'm not sure I'm up for an initial.

Ronin August 16th, 2018 10:23 PM

I'm gonna be busy this weekend and I still gotta hit the VDOs, so I'll let someone else grab it.

Scapemage August 16th, 2018 11:08 PM

Yea. Don't think I would be able to get to this soon. I'm up for my own Top initial next, but it might not happen this weekend. I've been testing a fair bit lately, it's tough to fit in.

Arkham August 16th, 2018 11:12 PM

I can probably get to it soon. I'll let you know. I'd imagine it's mainly just Titan armies needing testing?

Ronin August 16th, 2018 11:18 PM

Yeah. Interloper synergy isn't really there yet, and I don't think he has a ton of generalist appeal.

IAmBatman August 16th, 2018 11:27 PM

Yeah, I'd just put together the best Titans builds for him. If I find anything interesting in what we have for Interlopers, I might try it out in an army build for the public testing.

Ronin August 16th, 2018 11:31 PM

This is all we've got for Interlopers. Jade likes having a disengage, but I don't think there's enough else pulling Roy to any of them to make much out of those.

IAmBatman August 16th, 2018 11:36 PM

I mean, they'd all like his extra attack on their marker, but they're not giving him anything back.

Spidey'tilIDie August 17th, 2018 03:04 AM

Yea

Yodaking August 17th, 2018 03:37 AM

yea

Tornado August 17th, 2018 07:26 AM

Yea

Scapemage August 17th, 2018 08:39 AM

Re: The Book of Arsenal - VOTE for Initial

I think it is important to get one Interloper game in across all testing, even if we imagine it being weak.

johnny139 August 17th, 2018 09:11 AM

Yea

japes August 17th, 2018 12:03 PM

YEA

170 is a good goal. I also wouldn't worry about what the other Archers are...Arsenal isn't strictly an archer...he uses lots of weapons. And I agree a second Green Arrow could be closer to 200 like Batman I...

Lazy Orang August 17th, 2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2212222)
I mean, they'd all like his extra attack on their marker, but they're not giving him anything back.

I suppose Captain America, Arsenal and Katana could be nice for the sheer volume of boosted attacks. :shrug: Feeling almost a bit like pairing Kate and a Rookie together in a Cap build, honestly.

IAmBatman August 17th, 2018 12:09 PM

Sure. Or since he’s not an Interloper, could pair him and an Interloper of a different species in a Star-Lord build.

IAmBatman August 17th, 2018 12:16 PM

Jade (240), Star-Lord (250), Robot (210), Arsenal (170) could be interesting as a core if you could find a good 130 point unit to round it out.

Lazy Orang August 17th, 2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2212346)
Sure. Or since he’s not an Interloper, could pair him and an Interloper of a different species in a Star-Lord build.

Forgot he wasn't an Interloper! :) Still, I chose Katana very specifically for her multi-hitting potential; neither of the present non-human Interlopers have that.

IAmBatman August 17th, 2018 12:21 PM

With the current wording in the SP, would Team Cover Fire activate only before your other figure’s first attack, or before each of them in a multiple attacking situation?

Lazy Orang August 17th, 2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2212357)
With the current wording in the SP, would Team Cover Fire activate only before your other figure’s first attack, or before each of them in a multiple attacking situation?

I think its the former, and it certainly should be if it isn't.

IAmBatman August 17th, 2018 12:25 PM

Agreed. Just not sure if the verbiage is 100% clear on that.

IAmBatman August 17th, 2018 12:30 PM

Meanwhile, this passes to Initial Playtesting.

Ronin August 17th, 2018 12:56 PM

Re: The Book of Arsenal - Initial Playtesting Phase

japes asked over in Speedy's thread. dok and I both agree that you're good.

IAmBatman August 17th, 2018 01:04 PM

:up:

Arkham August 17th, 2018 02:40 PM

Someone else will need to take this.

IAmBatman August 18th, 2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkham (Post 2212440)

I'm going to try to do it this weekend. Fair warning, though: If I start doing my own initials, I'm going to start running a second LD. :-P

Ronin August 18th, 2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2212691)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkham (Post 2212440)

I'm going to try to do it this weekend. Fair warning, though: If I start doing my own initials, I'm going to start running a second LD. :-P

Bring it!

IAmBatman August 18th, 2018 09:40 PM

I ran his first test. It wasn't with a Titans build, so he was more limited, but I found that with his short Range Number (4), he either had to be relegated to just choosing the +4 to range, or he quickly got engaged and Team Cover Fire got nullified. In order to help with this and further differentiate him from his more "Archery" phases as a character, I decided to make Team Cover Fire trigger even when he's engaged.

I liked him that way for the rest of the test. The 2 movement seems pretty low. If the Titans tests feel like his first one did, I'll either bump the movement to 3 (since it's only affecting two figures), drop Arsenal's cost a bit for public testing, or both.