Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3V and SoV Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   The Book of Marro Gnids (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=37624)

Taeblewalker September 9th, 2011 11:46 PM

The Book of Marro Gnids

C3V Wave 1 – "Thormun's Reprieve"

CLING
If a Marro Gnid inflicts one or more wounds on an opponent’s Unique Hero, you may place that Marro Gnid on the affected figure’s card. Subtract 1 from that Hero's Move and Defense values for each Marro Gnid on the figure's card. A maximum of 3 Marro Gnids can be placed on any Hero's card.

SCALE 1
When moving up or down levels of terrain, Marro Gnids may add 1 to their height.

The figures used for this unit are Confrontation figures from the Scorpions set. Its model name is Phemera Omega Unit Box

The PDF for this card can be downloaded here.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • Q: Can a Marro Gnid use cling if it is affected by Cyberclaw?
    A: No. Cyberclaw prevents a figure from being moved. A figure that is being placed but not destroyed is being moved. Marro Gnids are not destroyed when they Cling, but they are being placed, so a Marro Gnid affected by Cyberclaw cannot Cling.
  • Q: When a figure with Marro Gnids on its card is destroyed and then comes back to life via the glyph of Sturla, Rejected By Death, etc., do the Gnids stay on that card when the figure comes back to life?
    A: Yes.
  • Q: Do Marro Gnids take leaving engagement attacks when they use Cling?
    A: Marro Gnids do not take leaving engagement attacks when using Cling.

Synergy Benefits Received
  • KHOSUMET THE DARKLORD: Relentless Assualt
    As relentless figures, Marro Gnids receive an extra attack die from Relentless Assault.
    - MARRO HIVE: Hive Mind/Marro Rebirth
    As common Marro, Marro Gnids may take a turn before the Marro Hive and may be rebirthed as well.
    -TORIN: Evil Eye Protection
    As small figures who follow Utgar, Marro Gnids benefit from Evil Eye Protection.
    -TUL-BAK-RA Teleport Reinforcements
    As Marro squad figures, the Marro Gnids can be teleported when Tul-Bak-Ra takes wounds but is not destroyed.
    -MORGOLOTH Swarming Vermin
    As Small figures who follow Utgar, Marro Gnids may benefit from Morgoloth's Swarming Vermin ability.
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • KNIGHTS OF BLACKGAARD Relentless Army Attack Bonus As Relentless figures, Marro Gnids aid Knights of Blackguard with their Relentless Army Attack Bonus.

Synergy Imposed
  • WARDEN 816: Evisceraxe Special Attack
    As small figures, Marro Gnids are immune to Evisceraxe Special Attack.

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A

Master List and Grade
Cheap, fast, and nasty against low-defense heroes, but die very quickly against range or commons. C+

Killometer September 9th, 2011 11:50 PM

Re: The Book of Marro Gnids

These guys are my absolute favorite C3V Wave 1 unit. If your opponent drafts Braxas or another expensive low-defense, high-life hero, take a couple squads of these guys and a squad of Protectors and watch your opponent cry as you Arbalest their suddenly 0-defense hero into dust. :twisted:

samuelfrost4 September 10th, 2011 12:05 AM

I have to say: These are also my favorite C3V guys so far. :D

Anitar September 10th, 2011 12:59 AM

It would be fun to completely stop a cragging Siege with 3 of these guys. If only the rolls needed to do that were less impossible...

Killometer September 10th, 2011 01:22 AM

Cling's Defense penalty is what first jumped out at me, but after playing these guys a few times I fell in love with the Move penalty. Knocking a hero down to a Move of just 2 or 3 is devastating! :twisted:

Xotli September 10th, 2011 02:37 AM

So I noticed in the front page comments several people asking what happens to Gnids who a) Cling, and then b) the hero they're clinging to is destroyed. The simple answer is that nothing happens to them; they just stay on the opponent's card until the game is over.

The question comes up, though, as to what to do when the scenario objective is to to destroy all your opponent's forces (since clinging Gnids aren't technically destroyed), or how do you count them for points if you're doing a timed scenario and you have to figure out points remaining or points destroyed. In this case, you should treat clinging Gnids exactly like undropped AE. AE that never drop aren't destroyed either, but they don't keep you from winning, right? Same thing here.

For those who are curious, clinging Gnids are not technically destroyed because we didn't want them to be able to be rebirthed by the Hive: neither while they're actively clinging, nor after their host dies. Gnids that have never clung, of course, can be rebirthed. Our original attempt at this was super-wordy, but then we realized that if we just didn't count them as destroyed, we could keep the power much simpler. And there you have it. :)

Tai-Pan September 10th, 2011 07:54 AM

Maybe something about Gnids being removed completely from the game when their host is destroyed would be helpful in the rules/clarifications section?

nyys September 10th, 2011 11:08 AM

What I like most about the Gnids is that they really give you a reason to use the Hive. Not that other Marro don't but I think the Gnid/Hive combo is a great match.

elvenwizard9 September 10th, 2011 11:53 AM

I like them. A lot. I need to try C3V units sometime. Tell me, is it common for C3V figures to be allowed at a tournament? I can definitely see a big change in game-plans if these guys were in an army.

UtahScott September 10th, 2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tai-Pan (Post 1477953)
Maybe something about Gnids being removed completely from the game when their host is destroyed would be helpful in the rules/clarifications section?

Reissue the card, clarifying the "no rebirth" issue; this is going to come up everytime someone pulls them out.

You've already revised one card for this wave, why not another? ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLING
CLING
If a Marro Gnid inflicts one or more wounds on an opponent’s Unique Hero, you may place that Marro Gnid on the affected figure’s card. Subtract 1 from that Hero's Move and Defense values for each Marro Gnid on the figure's card. A maximum of 3 Marro Gnids can be placed on any Hero's card, and remain there even if that Hero is destroyed.

dok September 10th, 2011 12:33 PM

Utahscott, Zaeus's card wasn't revised post-release; we just accidentally posted an earlier version of the card. The edit that changed the card from the first posted language to the current language was made over a month ago.

Anyway, for the Gnids, this is a case of do what the card says, not what it doesn't say. Does the card say destroy the gnid? Does the card say to take gnids off a destroyed hero? No, and no. This doesn't need to be clarified in the card language because there is nothing wrong with the card language.

That said, I'm sure we'll be putting a clarification of how this works in the R&C section. Just like many classic 'scape cards, this card will generate certain questions repeatedly, even if the answer is clear if you understand how the game system works and think about it methodically.

Killometer September 10th, 2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elvenwizard9 (Post 1478027)
I like them. A lot. I need to try C3V units sometime. Tell me, is it common for C3V figures to be allowed at a tournament? I can definitely see a big change in game-plans if these guys were in an army.

Some do, some don't. Tournaments I run are C3V/SoV friendly. Snooping through the Events and NHSD forums I've seen others that are as well. It's going to largely depend on TDs and local opinion.