Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Other Games (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Diplomacy (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53767)

Dad_Scaper March 22nd, 2017 07:58 PM

Re: Diplomacy

No. By design.

Though depending on how this press issue shakes out, we may have to restart. I'm looking into it.

Kinseth March 22nd, 2017 08:03 PM

Hrm, I have never played a game of Dip where everyone has a hidden identity...

I'm game for it.

marrowick March 22nd, 2017 08:04 PM

So I take it that movement phase is doubling as diplomacy phase?

Dad_Scaper March 22nd, 2017 08:32 PM

Yes, that's how it works.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinseth (Post 2141098)
Hrm, I have never played a game of Dip where everyone has a hidden identity...

I'm game for it.

It's called "gunboat." It's standard, on the judges.

So the name of the game is "agentcarr," and you can watch it here:
http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/index.cgi

You might have to register as an observer. The only press you should be able to read as an observer is "broadcasts," for everybody.

Dad_Scaper March 22nd, 2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2141095)
No. By design.

Though depending on how this press issue shakes out, we may have to restart. I'm looking into it.

The press issue is resolved. We roll forward.

Dysole March 22nd, 2017 09:01 PM

Technical Difficulties

I do not see how to view the game as a spectator.

~Dysole, quite confident this is VERY LOW on the priority list

quozl March 22nd, 2017 09:02 PM

Just go here: http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?game=agentcarr

and you can view the map, read results, and read broadcasts.

Dad_Scaper March 22nd, 2017 09:07 PM

If there's interest, we could arrange for a private thread for discussion of the game. Then we could have running commentary on what we're seeing. It would be set to "private" so that eliminated players could join us, and chat about their experience playing.

I've participated in similar exercises before where all the private press from the powers to each other was also piped into a private room. I think that might be a bit much, but if we wanted to do something like that, I could curate some private press into a private thread. Then, like I said, eliminated players could join us for chitchat there, as we threw tomatoes from the peanut gallery.

Thoughts?

Zetsubo March 23rd, 2017 12:09 PM

The private thread sounds like a great idea. However if the private press is shown through that thread it would be possible for someone to act as a spy for a player that is still in the game. Not that I would accuse anyone of such an act. I am merely pointing out the possibility.

Dad_Scaper March 23rd, 2017 12:12 PM

I won't do it, then. I don't think anyone would tamper, but I certainly wouldn't want the existence of such a thread to interfere with a player's experience of the game.

Carry on.

kevindola March 23rd, 2017 09:17 PM

Is there a link on the site that gives you the rules for how to play or should I just google it?

Dad_Scaper March 23rd, 2017 09:59 PM

The rules can be found here.

kevindola March 24th, 2017 12:04 AM

Thanks D_S. Pounding through a pretty good youtube tutorial now.

Dad_Scaper March 24th, 2017 07:16 AM

It's really simple.

kevindola March 27th, 2017 10:11 PM

Is there a standard set timeframe for each turn after this first one?

Also, what are the timelines for retreats/builds?

Dad_Scaper March 28th, 2017 07:37 AM

Yes. It'll be 3 days for moves with no weekend deadlines. I believe the "minor phases" will be 1 day with no weekends, but I'll have to make sure.

Dad_Scaper March 28th, 2017 11:08 PM

Spring 1901 moves are up! An intriguing new position, for a number of reasons I will keep to myself.

http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/maps/age...f?t=1490742006

marrowick March 29th, 2017 10:00 AM

Is anyone else encountering an error when they try to access the game?

kevindola March 29th, 2017 10:04 AM

Yes, I am also encountering an error as of this morning

Dad_Scaper March 29th, 2017 11:05 AM

I'm busy at work right now. I'll have a look later, and of course I will extend the deadline, if necessary.

kevindola March 29th, 2017 11:53 AM

Looks like it is operational for me once again.

I had sent a few emails this morning to the email it recommended when the error popped up, and that individual was very responsive.

Ranior March 29th, 2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevindola (Post 2141681)
Looks like it is operational for me once again.

I had sent a few emails this morning to the email it recommended when the error popped up, and that individual was very responsive.

I'm in too. Looks like it is fixed.

Given this error only persisted for a short while I don't think moving the deadline is needed.

Dad_Scaper March 29th, 2017 12:13 PM

Quite right. I'm glad to hear it's resolved. You'll all have to stay alert now; after S1901M, deadlines are much sooner. Also, don't forget the commands to set wait/nowait, and to request absences.

Ranior March 30th, 2017 10:54 AM

As an aside, was just alerted to the fact that the 1st copy of Diplomacy ever made and hence owned by Diplomacy's creator is up for auction on ebay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262911348603...84.m1558.l2649

Already up over a thousand dollars though, and I suspect it will go for quite a bit more. A small part of me wants it, but the bigger part of me knows it is not worth that much to me. Still an interesting piece of gaming memorabilia.

Dad_Scaper March 30th, 2017 01:15 PM

Cool.

I moved the deadline to Monday, as requested by one of the players.

Dad_Scaper April 3rd, 2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quozl (Post 2141107)

The F1901M moves are now in. Again, fans of the game may find some of what's happened here intriguing, but maybe that's because there's always something interesting.

Anyway. After the spring and fall move actions, and in the absence of retreats, the next phase is "builds." The powers will build units until they each have the same number of units as they do supply centers. Later in the game, some powers may have to *remove* units to get the numbers to match, but we are not there yet.

quozl April 8th, 2017 02:04 PM

I like how both Turkey and Austria supported Italy's army into Greece this past turn.

:)

Kinseth April 10th, 2017 10:10 AM

I dislike the 3 day deadlines. That is waaaay to fast of a pace for me. I am use to playing games with 2 week deadlines. Once alliances get set, the 3 day deadline makes them feel set in stone.

Ranior April 10th, 2017 10:23 AM

Oh my gosh 2 week deadlines? I can't say long form diplomacy games aren't fun, but I think with so many new players, 3 day deadlines were certainly the right choice to let people get a taste of Diplomacy with only locking them in for a few months instead of an entire year or more.

Dad_Scaper April 10th, 2017 10:25 AM

Three day deadlines always seemed like a good balance to me. You have to strike the balance between keeping players interested and giving them time. Making the most of your 72 hour clock is part of the challenge.

Today's deadline is a Monday after a weekend. I will grant you that those are the toughest.

Kinseth April 10th, 2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranior (Post 2143118)
Oh my gosh 2 week deadlines? I can't say long form diplomacy games aren't fun, but I think with so many new players, 3 day deadlines were certainly the right choice to let people get a taste of Diplomacy with only locking them in for a few months instead of an entire year or more.

Hopefully the next one can be longer deadlines.

Dad_Scaper April 10th, 2017 10:47 AM

One option is to shift the days of the week so that deadlines will not fall on Mondays anymore. That will often give another day, and will always prevent what's happening today, which is a Friday-Monday main phase.

We can take stock afterward and see what people liked and what they didn't like.

Kinseth April 10th, 2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2143125)
One option is to shift the days of the week so that deadlines will not fall on Mondays anymore. That will often give another day, and will always prevent what's happening today, which is a Friday-Monday main phase.

We can take stock afterward and see what people liked and what they didn't like.

Sounds reasonable!

quozl April 13th, 2017 07:46 PM

Ouch, Austria!

Dad_Scaper April 13th, 2017 08:57 PM

It was an exciting spring. Moves are up.

kevindola April 18th, 2017 08:54 PM

English is no longer the official language of Scandinavia.

kevindola April 18th, 2017 09:00 PM

Also, this is my first game, but that French Fleet being in Norway with this map can't be a standard situation.

It is hilarious though.

Kinseth April 18th, 2017 09:08 PM

I hear it is a great place to vacation!

quozl April 18th, 2017 09:11 PM

I recommend going in summer.

kevindola May 8th, 2017 01:10 PM

Pay your respects to the Austrians. I fear England is none too far behind them

Dad_Scaper May 8th, 2017 01:27 PM

Austria is boom or bust. In the game agentcarr, it was a bust.

Eliminated players are welcome to PM me to discuss the game, if they wish to do so. If they do want to chat with me, though, I require that they not send communications in the game from beyond the grave.

Ranior May 8th, 2017 03:08 PM

Redacted

Dad_Scaper May 8th, 2017 03:10 PM

Tut tut. Let's have no public discussion of the game, even by eliminated players. I'm here for you to air your grievances privately; I've watched closely and read most of the press.

edit: Leaving this up for future reference. Thanks for redacting!

Zetsubo May 8th, 2017 05:56 PM

Rest in peace Austria

kevindola May 17th, 2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetsubo (Post 2147616)
Rest in peace Austria

And now....England

I hope they allow the good King Peter the dignity of a quiet life imprisonment.

Zetsubo May 18th, 2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevindola (Post 2148937)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetsubo (Post 2147616)
Rest in peace Austria

And now....England

I hope they allow the good King Peter the dignity of a quiet life imprisonment.

Perhaps he may get lucky and be exiled to a far away island as was the fate of Napoleon.

dok May 19th, 2017 06:44 PM

There's a reason Turkey is my favorite country to play in this game.

Dad_Scaper May 19th, 2017 07:37 PM

They're all good, for their own reasons.