Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Competitive Armies Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Favourite Competitive army's (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=52358)

Mew28 October 20th, 2015 11:49 PM

Favourite Competitive army's

So after looking at many of the armys brought to competitions on the site I was supprised to see the varity of army's people run. I though I would make a thread to talk about our favourite armys to run competivly.

One of my personal favourite army's is a soldier army with 2 or 3 roman legionnaires as the back bone buffed with Captin Marcus with range support from the air born elite and Never Gok Sa to tank. With more ranged squads/heros or Romans added as needed to fill out the point and hex totals.

I personally like this army a lot because the Romans are hard to kill and they can hit like a truck if they have hight and Marcus is with them. The airborne elite give you options with Marcus because you came have him tag a long with a squad or two of legionnaires or just try to make a landing zone for the airborne elite. I also find Ne Gok Sa adds a lot because it means if you decide to leave Marcus behind or he dies you still have a warlord to bond with. The ranged support added other then airborne elite mostly just depends on hexes left and points remaining. Some of my favourite ones are the 10th Major Q9 and 10 or Legolas.

MegaSilver October 20th, 2015 11:52 PM

Re: Favourite Competitive army's

Mittens backed by some Vipers.... :whistle:

Mew28 October 21st, 2015 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 2050686)
Mittens backed by some Vipers.... :whistle:

I always liked viper army's however I always found they got killed off to fast by many of the more popular army's with all the rat spam and major Q9 to be very competitive . How ever with a hot D20 they can for sure be a dominating force on the battlefield.

Dysole October 21st, 2015 12:32 AM

Tough

I will play with almost anything (although admittedly Q9 and 4th are my least favorite units due to their flow chart play) but I think my favorites tend to be things which are either swingy or are death of a thousand paper cuts. This means Kato+Ashigaru, Cutters, Vipers, Dividers, Zombies, the list goes on. Really what I love more than anything is winning with something unorthodox (e.g. winning Season 20 of Online Scape with Brutes + PKs + Moltenclaw)

~Dysole, who has yes brought Dünd and Sudema in the same army to a tournament before

Mew28 October 21st, 2015 12:39 AM

I personally dislike army's that are dependent on D20 roles because I find they are always so feast or famine. Since my daily sacrifices to RNGesus have not seemed to have bein working lately I try to avoid rolling the D20 more then I have to.

On the note of that session 20 win do you mind me asking as to how you managed to pull that one off?

Dysole October 21st, 2015 01:25 AM

Couple of Reasons

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mew28 (Post 2050691)
I personally dislike army's that are dependent on D20 roles because I find they are always so feast or famine. Since my daily sacrifices to RNGesus have not seemed to have bein working lately I try to avoid rolling the D20 more then I have to.

On the note of that session 20 win do you mind me asking as to how you managed to pull that one off?

1. Reverse the Whip (play opponent's army in playoffs) format. Fewer people bring Q9 or masses 4th or Stingers.

2. I hit right about the middle of the metagame.

3. I got one terrible matchup leading up to the playoffs.

4. I'm a good player. (#11 overall in Online Scape)

5. Brutes, PKs, and Moltenclaw are all good but they're more fragile than anything.

6. Among all playoff participants I had one of the weakest armies and I never played someone who had a weaker army than mine in the playoffs.

7. I never had bad dice.

Those are the reasons I believe I won (although my S16 Dividers vs. Zombies hilarity matchup (Bring 2 multiple formats season) is another solid example of me bringing weird crap and winning)

~Dysole, with a goal to bring every unit to a tournament at least once (I've managed a lot more than you might think)

Tornado October 21st, 2015 12:45 PM

All Zombies, all the time. brains...shamble...brains... :zombie:

dok October 22nd, 2015 05:23 PM

TKN/grubs, zombies, cutters, Kurrok/Elementals, funky ratpodges. I also really like the Vark builds and Ebon Armor builds if we're counting the customs. In general, I like armies where there's more than one place to put OMs.

Marro_Warlord October 22nd, 2015 07:05 PM

Elves. It's at best fringe playable, but it's super fun when you can pull of the yo-yo. Wizards are mostly terrible against everything, but have a few matchups where they can shine. You get super funky ranged attacks, and some melee squads that can go in need be.

kolakoski October 23rd, 2015 05:02 PM

Well met!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dok (Post 2051000)
In general, I like armies where there's more than one place to put OMs.

Same here. The Gang's latest (heroes only) is a case in point.

Rich10 October 27th, 2015 09:43 PM

It depends on what I'm facing. Playing 1rst tier armies is fun so long as you're facing another 1rst tier army: 4th Mass, Vydar Range, Kow/Gilbert, Glads/Blasts, etc. Playing 4th Mass against Marro Drudge isn't fun for either player.

If I had to pick 1 army for all circumstances, it would have to be Romans and Warlords. The army looks great, has a historical basis, and is competitive against most armies. Admittedly, there tend not to be too many opportunities for order markers, but that's probably my favorite to play.

Going off topic, my favorite hero is Krug with Agent Carr as a close second. My least favorite hero is Raelin ROTV.

HolyDiver October 27th, 2015 10:43 PM

I've never actually played competitively myself, leastways not in tourneys. I usually play 550 point casual games with friends and family, and we never really care if somebody is down at 540, or up at 560. I'm all about thematic teams with a bunch of synergy, or otherwise, just a random sampling. A couple of my favorite armies:

Soldiers: Marcus Decimus Gallus, Roman Legionnaires, 10th Regiment of Foot, Sgt. Drake Alexander (SOTM) and Airborne Elite

Beastmaster: Ornak, Heavy Gruts, Krug, Brunak, and a Fen Hydra. (I extra love this army, having just recently started using it. Turn one, use the red flag to move out Brunak and Krug, with Brunak bringing Ornak to a decent position to see my heroes for a while. Heavy Gruts are bodyguards for Ornak, and the Hydra bats cleanup. This army really tears most melee squads to shreds, but sucks against anything ranged.)

Undead: Cyprien, Sonya, and Iskra Esenwein, the Retchets, and 4x Zombies of Morindan. Sometimes I'll sub in my squad of Phantom Knights for one of the zombies.