Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Confred October 11th, 2016 01:36 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

As for figure, there are tons of Mario toys, I'm sure one is in scale.

I think his item granted abilities should stay on the item Glyphs, which don't need to be made.
I don't know how modern Mario handles Life, but classic has only one. The 'shroom would be something like +1m/a and remove it if damaged instead of taking damage.

Confred October 11th, 2016 01:41 PM

We could retool Pounce Special Attack to affect differently vs bosses (heroes)

I'm not sure about newer versions, but older Marios only attack with items/Glyphs or jumping (pounce S-A)
: Do we want him to have an attack value greater than 0?

Confred October 16th, 2016 09:03 PM

So before we delve into powers, I think we need to ruminate on the character himself.

Game Fiction characters are different from Literary Fiction, because the mechanics of the game are as much an emotional tie to the character as his personality.

So are we going the route of converting the game, and game piece, Mario into HS, or are we taking the character of Mario and rethinking how he would act in HS?
I think the former is the most common, but I'm thinking the lead wants the latter to be this case.

CJofCourse October 16th, 2016 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2115781)
So before we delve into powers, I think we need to ruminate on the character himself.

Game Fiction characters are different from Literary Fiction, because the mechanics of the game are as much an emotional tie to the character as his personality.

So are we going the route of converting the game, and game piece, Mario into HS, or are we taking the character of Mario and rethinking how he would act in HS?
I think the former is the most common, but I'm thinking the lead wants the latter to be this case.

I've been pondering this myself for the last few days, along with the question of which version of Mario we want to emulate. Confred is right in his thinking, and I think we should go for classic Mario.

JC McMinis October 22nd, 2016 12:18 PM

OK we can work with that. The thing with that is. Are we developing him in his small form or in his grown form and doing a mushroom glyph for him to grow. I personally would do his more modern incarnation but as they say, this your dance @CJtheMighty .

TREX October 22nd, 2016 01:16 PM

If you are doing classic Mario, it would be very thematic to give him the same kind of Life stats as his original games. Little Mario only gets 1 life. Big Mario only would only get 2 lifes. Any version with a firepower or what not would probably get 3. Take these ideas or leave them. Just giving my pennies at looks like would be a simple yet fun little design.

CJofCourse October 22nd, 2016 08:22 PM

I'm thinking he has 1 life, high defense (4, 5, or 6), high attack (4 or 5), and everytime he kills something, he gets the mushroom token on his card, which allows him to negate all damage to him from one opponent's turn. Just some ideas, hopefully I'll get around to writing more soon.

TREX October 23rd, 2016 10:35 AM

If you do the mushroom token, I'd allow him to discard it when he has it and not take any wounds. That would be like it shrinking him again. I'd also have him start with the mushroom on his card. Not sure how thematic it is for him to get the mushroom every time he kills something, but I don't have any better ideas on that yet. if you were to give him a special attack where he jumps on someones head, I'd think they couldn't roll defense and the special attack is one unblockable skull. If he fails, he'd bounce off of them and land on a nearby space, like he does with some of the original koopa bosses.

Confred October 24th, 2016 07:25 PM

I'd say if we do straight-classic Mario,
Pounce Special Attack
Leap 15
Life 1
Move 5-6
Range 0
Attack 0
Defense 4-5
Points 25

Pretty much everything about Mario the game would be on peripherals.
* Not all blocks break. The blocks that do are destructible objects
* Same with note-blocks, etc
* Power-Ups are Treasure Glyphs that when the figure is dealt damage, destroy the Glyph and prevent the damage.
* Travel-Pipes would be a characteristic of the pipe.

He only attacks by jumping, unless using a Treasure Glyph.
1 Life
Move value is arguable
He must be able to jump for means other than attacking, especially over short pitfalls
Defense value is arguable - This is basically the player's ability to maneuver the sprite.
Height of Leap is arguable.

He could have DUCK UNDER PROJECTILE ~

Spoiler Alert!

JC McMinis December 6th, 2016 08:01 PM

Seeing as we have not addressed this for a while, I assume we have all been busy with the holidays, which usually happens. I think, perhaps we should just wait until after the holidays to resume and if we cannot come to decent idea on Mario (wether classic or more modern version) perhaps CJ should nominate somebody different.

CJofCourse December 6th, 2016 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC McMinis (Post 2124283)
Seeing as we have not addressed this for a while, I assume we have all been busy with the holidays, which usually happens. I think, perhaps we should just wait until after the holidays to resume and if we cannot come to decent idea on Mario (wether classic or more modern version) perhaps CJ should nominate somebody different.

I have a couple notes on Mario I'd like to post here, I think we all just collectively forgot about this project. Thanks for reviving this JC. I'll try to get something out within the week.

Confred December 7th, 2016 09:11 PM

The original proposal for the character seems more like a C3G design, but I've been thinking such spice may keep this going.