Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

wulfhunter667 January 18th, 2011 10:49 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1317211)
As for the unrevealed order marker idea, Wulf, it seems that this power all but requires you to place the X on him, and certainly requires that you take a turn with him. Perhaps the power can simply be used once per round.

Depends on the OM placement. If you place OM 3 on him and keep him within 3 CLS of allies, he can still protect the lot of them, but isn't rampaging all over the place willy-nilly. A smart player might even stagger the allies up the battlefield to advance Eric well before his turn. Just my :2cents:.

Balantai January 19th, 2011 11:53 AM

I have a few issues.

I think Get Behind My Shield is currently too powerful. No visible hit zones versus any type of attack is really really strong. How about we weaken that a bit. Maybe let it only affect normal attacks or instead of no visible hit zones, allow them to add 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled. This at least allows you to attempt to attack the adjacent figure.

"What am I doing" is not worded right. "If he is able" needs to be defined. What if the defending figure is within 3 sight spaces, but on the top of a cliff. It would require Eric to move 40 spaces to get to him, but technically, he is able. Would he get that free movement?

killercactus January 19th, 2011 01:04 PM

I brought up that issue at the beginning and kind of forgot about it... It's not as bad for Superman because he has 8 move and Flying. It makes a big difference for Eric.

Taeblewalker January 19th, 2011 01:22 PM

I like the idea of automatic shields. I had thought that Tandros' power used against range was a nice touch, but apparently it's too much. However, I think others have found that any extra defense dice are a lot when Raelin is on the board. We seem to be oscillating.

Balantai January 20th, 2011 01:12 PM

Eric the Cavalier
Television: Dungeons & Dragons Cartoon
Fights for Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Cavalier
Loyal
Medium 4

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 5

Cost ???

GET BEHIND MY SHIELD!
When a friendly small or medium figures that are adjacent to Eric the Cavalier defends against an attack by a non-adjacent figure, you may add 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

WHAT AM I DOING?
If a friendly figure that is within 3 clear sight spaces would roll defense dice against a normal attack from a non-adjacent figure, Eric the Cavalier must move up to 5 spaces and must end his movement adjacent to the defending figure. If Eric the Cavalier cannot end his movement adjacent to the defending figure, he may not move and defending figure must defend normally. If Eric the Cavalier ends him movement adjacent to the defending figure, he becomes the new target of the the attack and must roll defense dice normally. Eric the Cavalier may only do use What Am I Doing? once per turn.

COWARDLY CAVALIER 11
If Eric the Cavalier is attacked, and at least one skull is rolled, if he is not within 3 clear sight spaces of a friendly figure, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, you may ignore the attack and move Eric the Cavalier up to 4 spaces. Eric the Cavalier may not end his move adjacent to an enemy figure. When Eric the Cavalier starts to move with Cowardly Cavalier, he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

I reworded the abilities, but now I'm pretty sure they won't fit on a card.

I have a suggestion that will cut down on the wording.

WHAT AM I DOING?
If a friendly figure that is within 3 clear sight spaces would roll defense dice against a normal attack from a non-adjacent figure, Eric the Cavalier must move up to 5 spaces and must end his movement adjacent to the defending figure. If Eric the Cavalier cannot end his movement adjacent to the defending figure, he may not move. Eric the Cavalier may only do use What Am I Doing? once per turn.

This would still force Eric to move and it would allow the defending figure to benefit from Get Behind My Shield.

killercactus January 20th, 2011 04:45 PM

Suggested changes in bold

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1318544)
Eric the Cavalier
Fights for Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Cavalier
Loyal
Medium 4

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 2 or 3***

Cost ???

GET BEHIND MY SHIELD!
When Eric or an adjacent a friendly small or medium figures that are adjacent to Eric the Cavalier defends against an attack by a non-adjacent figure, you may add 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

WHAT AM I DOING?
If a friendly figure that is within 3 clear sight spaces of Eric is targeted bywould roll defense dice against a normal attack from a non-adjacent figure, Eric the Cavalier must move up to 5 spaces and must end his movement adjacent to the targeted defending figure. If Eric the Cavalier cannot end his movement adjacent to the targeted defending figure, he may not move. Eric the Cavalier may only do use What Am I Doing? once per turn. When moving Eric with What Am I Doing?, he will take any leaving engagement attacks.

COWARDLY CAVALIER 11***
If Eric the Cavalier is attacked, and at least one skull is rolled, if he is not within 3 clear sight spaces of a friendly figure, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, you may ignore the attack and move Eric the Cavalier up to 4 spaces. Eric the Cavalier may not end his move adjacent to an enemy figure. When Eric the Cavalier starts to move with Cowardly Cavalier, he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

First off, why shouldn't Eric get the benefit of his own shield? I understand that it was built into his 5 defense, but I like the theme better of lowering his defense and giving him the auto-block from the shield.

I think forcing Eric to move when someone is targeted is both more thematic and more practical. Eric isn't going to go running after an arrow is in the air - he's going to go when he sees the archer take aim. Plus, this will allow the attacker to change targets if they so choose, and will also allow the attacker to force Eric to move if they target someone else and then change their mind. I think this makes Eric far more affordable in players' armies.

Also, is Cowardly Cavalier really necessary? I get the theme of the power, but how often is he really going to not be close to a friendly figure? I'd rather just increase his defense a little bit.

Taeblewalker January 20th, 2011 05:10 PM

Eric the Cavalier
Fights for Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Cavalier
Loyal
Medium 4

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 3
Cost 100

GET BEHIND MY SHIELD!
When Eric or a friendly small or medium figure adjacent to Eric defends against an attack by a non-adjacent figure, you may add 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

WHAT AM I DOING?
If a friendly figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Eric is targeted by a normal attack from a non-adjacent figure, Eric must move up to 5 spaces and must end his movement adjacent to the targeted defending figure. If Eric cannot end his movement adjacent to the targeted defending figure, he may not move. When moving with What Am I Doing?, he will take any leaving engagement attacks. Eric may only do use What Am I Doing? once per turn.

COWARDLY CAVALIER
Eric the Cavalier may not make any leaving engagement attacks.

Balantai January 20th, 2011 05:30 PM

I like this write up much better. Great work, Taeblewalker. I think I'd like to see his normal defense at 4. It's not like he's an offensive juggernaut. Besides, if you want to take him down, let's make the opponent engage him.

On a side note, I think i'd like to see the punctuation removed from the Special Powers. They make reading the power descriptions awkward.

dfonse January 20th, 2011 05:33 PM

I have been working on a counter army to take on cavalier.

I would say Wyvern 100,

Deathstalkers 200,

Omnicron Snipers 300,

Tealord 480,

Isamu and Otanashi (or 20pts of filler?)

With this army cavilier has a disadvantage. The Wyvern can fly in and take him away so that he has no bonus. The Omnicrons deal auto-wounds so his Get Behind My Shield move has no effect. Tealord can stay with the snipers to up their attack to 2 (or even 3-4 with other bonuses i.e. glyph or hight.) With Caviliers medium to low live he will be no problem. The Deathstalkers will be defensive and can also use maul to auto-kill if the enemy engages.

I have not tested this army out yet but I plan on doing so soon.

killercactus January 20th, 2011 09:05 PM

Just so you know, dfonse, Omnicron Snipers don't deal auto-wounds. They just make each skull count as two.

About What Am I Doing, I was actually going to let him move more than once per turn, but I was thinking he only got to use the power once per attack. I didn't specify that, though, and I'm fine with him moving only once per enemy turn.

Lastly, Get Behind My Shield needs cleaned up a bit - looks like you just missed a deletion here or there.

With those, I give it a :thumbsup:. Note that I'd also be good with 4 defense instead of 3.

Taeblewalker January 20th, 2011 10:08 PM

Eric The Cavalier
Fights for Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Cavalier
Loyal
Medium 4

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 4

GET BEHIND MY SHIELD
When Eric or an adjacent friendly small or medium figure adjacent to Eric defends against an attack by a non-adjacent figure, you may add 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

WHAT AM I DOING?
If a friendly figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Eric is targeted by a normal attack from a non-adjacent figure, Eric must move up to 5 spaces and must end his movement adjacent to the targeted defending figure. If Eric cannot end his movement adjacent to the targeted defending figure, he may not move. When moving, he will take any leaving engagement attacks. Eric may only use this power once per an opponent's turn

COWARDLY CAVALIER
Eric the Cavalier may not make any leaving engagement attacks.

wulfhunter667 January 21st, 2011 08:29 AM

Much cleaner. I like it. But, how are you gonna have him take leaving engagement attacks with What Am I Doing? but not take them normally with the addition of Cowardly Cavalier?