Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

mac122 November 1st, 2011 02:25 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1507183)
I like Mac's idea a lot. As for LC's disguise ability, I would have to know how important it is in Doc Savage's stories - and I really haven't read them.

Doc often used disguises to gain entry into a villain's hideout or blend in with the henchmen, so it is very thematic. However, defending against a villain's "special" or possibly even turning it against the villain is more central to the character of Doc Savage. The disguises are just one of his tools.

@jc- I'd like Doc to be a stand-alone hero. He was a leader and did inspire his group, but more often than not, Doc ended up working on his own as his "Fab Five" were frequently captured by the villain's forces. I may eventually create some cards for his assistants. Each of them would have some sort of bonding with each other and Doc.

JC McMinis November 1st, 2011 10:38 PM

Stand alone works for me. Maybe this to represent his intelect.

SUPERIOR INTELLECT
When rolling initiative, if there is at least one order marker on this army card you may add 1 to your initiative roll

Lamaclown November 1st, 2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1507538)
Stand alone works for me. Maybe this to represent his intelect.

SUPERIOR INTELLECT
When rolling initiative, if there is at least one order marker on this army card you may add 1 to your initiative roll

I'm a dork.

When I read that I thought, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if you added 1 to your initiative roll for each revealed OM on Doc's card!"
:wtf:

Taeblewalker November 2nd, 2011 12:34 AM

I would add 3 to initiative, like Mogrim.

mac122 November 2nd, 2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

DOC SAVAGE
Literature
Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Adventurer
Dauntless
Medium 6

Life 5
Move 6
Range 5
Attack 3
Defense 3

Points ???

ONE STEP AHEAD
If there are at least 2 Order Markers on this card, you may add 2 to your roll each time you roll the 20-sided die.

BRONZE WHIRLWIND
Doc Savage may attack up to 3 times each turn. He may attack the same or different figure with each attack. When Doc Savage attacks an adjacent figure, add 2 dice to his attack.

BRONZE GHOST
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack, 1 shield will block all damage. Doc Savage can move through all figures and is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

BY THEIR OWN DEVICE
Whenever Doc Savage or any friendly figure adjacent to Doc Savage would receive wounds from an opponent's special attack or special ability, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 12-19, ignore any wounds. If you roll a 20, the opponent's figure receives those wounds instead.
The initiative bonus is good, but with Doc, it seemed more thematic that if active, he would increase your odds of success at any time during the game.

The original draft also had a SUPERMACHINE PISTOL SA. After thinking about it, I decided that would be a better ability for one of his assistants. Doc did use the weapon, but he was more often involved in hand-to-hand combat. I gave him Range so that he can use the gun, but bonus dice against adjacent opponents.

BRONZE WHIRLWIND and BRONZE GHOST are good representations of Doc's fighting skills. He could engage multiple foes and with his physical strength and knowledge of martial arts and other fighting skills, he was especially dangerous in hand-to-hand combat. Also, Doc moved with such skill and agility that ranged opponent's had extreme difficulty in drawing a bead and those up close and personal would take a swing only to find themselves flailing at air.

I know with this combination of abilities, Doc's cost will be on the high side, but with all his skills and knowledge, he's basically a superhero without the big Marvel or DC contract (though DC did have a series featuring Doc recently).

Edit: already made a change. One Step Ahead now requires 2 OMs so that you can't just put the X on Doc to get the bonus.

machinekng November 2nd, 2011 08:37 AM

Okay. The only problem I see with him, at the moment, is that he's more powerful that Q9. Much so. He seems almost to be a one-man army sort of figure, due to him being good at everything.

The only weakness I really see in him is that he is kind of vulnerable to a mass SA like the Romans' Volley and the Zombies' SA, but he can take them out before they get in position.

Edit: Saw the line about being a superhero. Although I see your point, we are testing the project against classic 'scape, not marvelscape.

Taeblewalker November 2nd, 2011 08:58 AM

The numbers on By Their Own Device should be a lot tighter, like 16-19. Perhaps allowing him to attack different figures only, like the Quasatch Hunters, would help as well.

mac122 November 2nd, 2011 10:03 AM

For the comparison to the Quasatch, you are looking for something more like this?
Quote:

BRONZE WHIRLWIND
When Doc Savage attacks, he may attack up to 2 additional times. Doc Savage may not attack the same figure more than once per turn. When Doc Savage attacks an adjacent figure, add 2 dice to his attack.
I could see raising the roll a bit on By Their Own Device, but not all the way to 16. That would put upward pressure on Doc's defense. At 3, it is well balanced with the Stealth Dodge/Defensive Agility hybrid of Bronze Ghost. At 4, Bronze Ghost becomes too powerful, IMO. Assuming Doc would have an OM and get +2 to d20 rolls, I could see it at 13 or maybe 14, but not higher. Keep in mind, BTOD only affects the SAs that cause wounds. It would not affect auto-destroy abilities like Poisonous Acid Breath, Chomp, or Trample Stomp.

Lamaclown November 2nd, 2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1507714)
For the comparison to the Quasatch, you are looking for something more like this?
Quote:

BRONZE WHIRLWIND
When Doc Savage attacks, he may attack up to 2 additional times. Doc Savage may not attack the same figure more than once per turn. When Doc Savage attacks an adjacent figure, add 2 dice to his attack.
I could see raising the roll a bit on By Their Own Device, but not all the way to 16. That would put upward pressure on Doc's defense. At 3, it is well balanced with the Stealth Dodge/Defensive Agility hybrid of Bronze Ghost. At 4, Bronze Ghost becomes too powerful, IMO. Assuming Doc would have an OM and get +2 to d20 rolls, I could see it at 13 or maybe 14, but not higher. Keep in mind, BTOD only affects the SAs that cause wounds. It would not affect auto-destroy abilities like Poisonous Acid Breath, Chomp, or Trample Stomp.

I like the change to Bronze Whirlwind. Also, a bump to 13 might be an OK thing. Like you said, it only works against SAs that cause wounds so it is an easy ability for an opponent to by-pass.

Taeblewalker November 2nd, 2011 01:05 PM

The only caution I have about By Their Own Device is the high number of Special Attacks that have come out since the D&D waves. They are more prevalent than they used to be. But I can see 16 being too high.

mac122 November 3rd, 2011 02:31 AM

I've updated the cards using the Hi-Res templates. Here's a link to the Photobucket Album. I'll update the Display Thread as time permits.

Update notes:
-New artwork for Ash Williams and Indiana Jones.
-New hit zone for the Bear
-Revised text on the Rabbit of Caerbannog using the "Hulk" style. "The Rabbit of Caerbannog" is used the first time the figure is named in an ability. All other mentions simply use "the Rabbit". It takes a few words off the card.

JC McMinis November 3rd, 2011 02:45 AM

Love the new artwork mac :thumbsup: