Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Fan Art & Fiction (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Wind in the Trees (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=32470)

bumper15 September 19th, 2010 09:28 AM

The Wind in the Trees

This is my first attempt at soloing a fan fic. I hope you all enjoy it. Tell me what you think, and please criticize. For those that have read and/or participated in Prison Faction over the summer, this is a story of my character before his arrest.

P.S. Oh and Elven Lord I sort of borrowed your character for the first few chapters, he just made a perfect spot for the beginning. If you ever have a problem with the way I make him out, please feel free to PM me.

And now with out further ado............I bring you.................

The Wind in the Trees

Prologue Pt. I

The breeze finally drifted through the command tent, but instead of cooling them down, it only teasingly reminded them how stifling it was in there. The other one was late, though to the ones in the tent, that was no surprise. The enemy was a cold-blooded killer of their kind, and no one had expected him to show up anyway. The leader laughed to himself at the thought, because in fact, they themselves were the cold-blooded ones. The Naga only wanted peace, but the enemy was relentless.
Naga were reptilian-like beings that could transform into different kinds of snakes. They were split up into several different tribes across the lands, but this tribe was the biggest and the best. However, they were also the closest tribe to the Woods of Balon, the only thing that had kept the enemy away was the fact that their eyes were set on the south. The tribes were not tightly woven, honestly, they each had complete apathy for the others. While they didn’t war amongst themselves, they did not live in complete harmony.
To prevent the bloodshed from spreading to his people, Slink had proposed a peace treaty be written between his tribe and the forest dwellers. Slink had bigger problems to worry about, the Necromancer had once again risen to power. Stories had been passed down through his tribes history of the last time he brought his legions of undead among the living. It had almost ended the world, and word said that this time the Necromancer was much stronger. Slink needed to prepare.
“Where issss that wretched Sssprite?” Slink hissed angrily to himself. Truth be told, in a thousand years, no one living had ever seen a Wood Sprite, including the Naga. Those who did never lived long enough to tell the tale. Slink was determined to survive, he had a tribe to rule. “If that thing wantsss to try ssssomething, he’sss in for a sssurprisse,” he smiled to himself and prepared himself for a long wait.

Up above the tent, nestled on a tree limb, rested a fifteen-year-old boy. At least he looked fifteen, Wood Sprites never aged past the year they sprouted. He was in fact close to one hundred years, but who was counting. He knew that they were expecting him in the tent, but he thought he would wait a bit. He enjoyed being able to get inside everyone’s head and use their emotions to his advantage, the more annoyed the Snake became, the more mistakes he would make. He closed his eyes as if in a dream, and went back to how it all started.
Two young Snakes, a mocking term that the Wood Sprites used in regards to the Naga, wandered into their woods, and despite all attempts to scare them off, they found their way to Mother Tree. Mother Tree was what kept all the Wood Sprites alive, she nourished all of them through her roots. They were very protective of her, the only time they killed was if someone was damaging them, their forest, or Mother Tree.
After the two were killed the Wood Sprites sent their heads back to the tribe to dissuade them from entering the Woods of Balon. That was never part of the plan, they were supposed to drop them off closer to the edge, but still deep in the forest. They were supposed to make it look like an accident, there were plenty of pitfalls in the woods. The Snakes had responded as expected by burning parts of the forest. The boy, Orin, grimaced to himself, that was not his intention, he hadn't even been there to make the decision, he had been off hunting with his partner Streak at the time. His captain had been in charge. Lindon, a strong-headed boy who never thought things completely through, was immediately stripped of his rank and had been severely punished for the atrocity. To make matters worse, Orin had arrived back from his hunt with a war on his hands. Orin hated war, but the Wood Sprites were the best fighters in the region. They were the wind in the trees, as many stories said. They could slip, through their forest with ease and quiet, only being seen or heard when they wanted to be. The trick came in handy for fighting a war in and around their forest. In the months following the incident, only one of the two hundred sprites had been killed, and that had been the cause of it all.
He sighed to himself, thinking about the boy, and sat up, his brown, wavy hair shifting with the movement. Orin never liked war, but on the other hand, he was trying to prepare for a bigger war. His patrols in the northern part of the forest had reported signs of the forward troops of the Necromancer’s army coming through from the Wastelands, that had been a week ago.
Orin looked down to see Streak staring up at him, his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth. Streak was Orin’s closest comrade. Each Sprite had an animal comrade. There was a connection between them, and while Orin couldn’t talk to Streak, they understood each other. Orin figured he had kept the Snakes waiting long enough. He leapt off the branch, sticking the landing. He stretched his sore muscles, he had been up there for two hours listening, waiting for the tension to build up in the tent before he arrived. He took a breath to calm himself. He didn’t enjoy bloodshed, but he was prepared for the worst.

sir william the bold October 6th, 2010 04:27 PM

Re: The Wind in the Trees

very good! I like the way you portray the naga as a good force in warcraft they are evil so once again very good! :smile: Post again soon!

bumper15 October 7th, 2010 07:11 PM

Thank you for commenting. For your comment. it is not that the naga are evil, I borrowed the character from Elven Lord in Prison Faction. This story is supposed to explain the events that led to Orin arriving in Utgar's prison.

As for typing some more, I am honestly trying, but due to my busy school schedule I am not getting anywhere. I'll probably will have something up this weekend.

Thanks again for your post!!!

sir william the bold October 9th, 2010 02:53 PM

Your welcome! thanks for explaining and i can understand the school thing:D

bumper15 October 16th, 2010 02:04 PM

Sorry I didn't post when I said I would, but Homecoming was last week and I had completely forgotten. Anyway here is the next part.

Prologue Pt.II

Slink glanced up from his thoughts when he heard the canvas flaps on the tent being parted. From outside a boy walked in no older than sixteen. His dress was of an unknown style and was different shades of green and brown. Slink watched as the boy strolled in, an air of command about him, as if it was his command tent he was walking into. This was no doubt the leader of the Wood Sprites, but he was only a boy!
“Greetingsss. I am honored that you have finally decided to join usss,” Slink began with mock courtesy.
“I am pleased as well to finally get this meeting underway,” Orin replied casually, ignoring the sarcasm. “I believe we are here to discuss the terms of your surrender, am I correct?”
Already Slink disliked the boy's attitude, but he needed to keep in control. “The people of my tribe have more important matterssss to attend to,” he hissed, “And I would like to ssssave both our people unnecesssary bloodshed.”
“If I am not mistaken, your kind has been the only one to bleed in this fight Snake," Slink hissed angrily at the statement, "but I concede your point. We also have someplace else where we must focus our attention,” Orin stated, keeping his face as blank as possible while studying his opponent. He could already tell that Slink was no fool. Orin sighed and prepared himself for the negotiations.

He watched as soldiers moved silently through the woods. He took a deep breath, taking in everything he hadn’t seen for close to five-hundered years.“It has been too long,” he sighed, “It is good to be back!”
He turned behind him as his seemingly endless hordes crawled through the trees of the only true opposition to his power. The Woods of Balon were the source of all life in Alarya and were going to be his launching point.
One of his captains approached from the front of the lines, “There is nothing here sir, we can’t seem to find it.”
“Keep searching!” he roared, “They won’t be able to put up a fight if their beloved tree is destroyed!” The captain saluted and hastened away. The Wood Sprites ruined his chances of conquering the world many years ago, but they would not stop him this time. He will have his kingdom.
He turned and bellowed orders to the thousands of soldiers he had under his command, he had a tree to find.

“I cannot have you Snakes running through my forest!” Orin stated softly but powerfully.
“The Naga do asss they pleasssse!” Slink hissed just as powerfully with an slight edge added to his voice, “You have no right over what we may or may not do! My tribe has done no harm to your people.”
A wolf howled in the distance, a long mournful sound, the negotiations had been going on for six hours and night was falling.
“This misunderstanding was caused because your people entered land that has been off limits to any nation for the past thousand years. It is not just about your tribe, but your race. We always try to avoid bloodshed, and I know that you have a more level head than the rest of the Snakes, but I can't risk more harm being done. I agree that what happened to the two Snakes was regrettable and, believe me, the one who caused it has been punished for it, but in your best interests, take my advice and never enter my woods again.”
Slink rested his hands on the table, the long meeting starting to wear at him. Suddenly he jumped back with a start as an arrow embedded itself on the table between the fingers of his left hand. “What is the meaning of this attempt on my life?" Slink hissed, “You will soon regr...” the words died on his throat when he saw the look on the Sprite’s face, Orin wasn't preparing himself to defend his life from the Naga, his eyes were focused only on the arrow in fear. He realized that the arrow wasn't meant for him, it had been meant for the boy.
Orin could not believe what his eyes saw right in front of him. He ignored the Naga’s shouting, so absorbed by the arrow. He remembered the wolf's howl. He realized now that it had been Streak trying to warn him for something.
He had ignored the first warning, but the second couldn't be avoided. The message was right in front of him. The arrow still sat embedded at the table in front of Slink, but the worst part was that the arrrow's feathers were black.

sir william the bold October 18th, 2010 06:45 PM

Very interesting:D
You write in a different style than me and it intrigues me. sorry I was late in posting I had to go to a funeral that was forever away. keep me posted.:p
And I love your Signature my math teacher recently said that to the class fool and it was hilarious:rofl:
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

bumper15 October 24th, 2010 03:28 PM

Thanks for the comment, I'll have the next part up shortly.

sir william the bold October 24th, 2010 04:12 PM

Any time.:D

bumper15 November 7th, 2010 04:06 PM

Prologue Pt. III

Orin walked up and pulled the arrow from the table, "Sorry about the confusion Snake," Orin said, twisting the arrow in his fingers, his eyes never leaving the feathers on the back, "This arrow wasn't for you, it was a message for me. I've got to go." He left the tent without another word.
Orin left the tent arrow still in hand. A black-feathered arrow was given to every Wood Sprite when they sprouted. It was tipped in a magic that had been given by the chieftain before Orin almost one hundred years ago. Magic that would send whatever it was placed on straight to the chieftain. The arrow itself was to be used as a signal, a warning, that the Necromancer had returned.
Orin had heard the reports that the army's advance scouts had entered the northern fringes of the forest, but he never believed that the rest of the army would penetrate deep enough into the forest to warrant one of the Sprites sending a signal to him.
The Necromancer was a ruthless tyrant who had ruled the vast wastelands of the north five hundred years ago. He was the most powerful necromancer the world had ever seen. Most necromancers could summon mindless armies of undead to do their bidding. The Necromancer could summon undead with full knowledge of their past and their past intelligence. They were still bound by service, but these undead were much more capable than the rest.
Necromancy was the reason that Wood Sprites were created by the Moon Goddess, life to counter death. But the Necromancer was the most powerful any Wood Sprite had ever faced.
The chieftain of the time, Marid sealed away the Necromancer when he first came to power, conquering most of Alarya. Marid sealed away the Necromancer at the cost of his own life.
Orin hoped that he was stronger than Marid was, or else Alarya was going to end.
Orin made it at last to Mother Tree, he reached into the bows and pulled out his hunting horn, he blew one long clear note and settled down to wait.

bumper15 November 7th, 2010 04:42 PM

Book I: The Terror from the North

Chapter 1

A horn call rang through the forest, it resounded from everywhere and was impossible to trace. The Necromancer's army cowered in fear, not at the sound, but at what the sound represented, life.
"So the Sprites do know we're here," the Necromancer mused silently to himself, "Get back to work you piles of bones!" he bellowed to the army. He turned to his lieutenant, "Fetch me my armor, we're going to have company soon." He turned to a silent zombie next to him, "Are we close?"
"I cannot tell. My memories are wiped of this place," he replied solemnly.
The Necromancer turned around without another word.

Orin waited while the rest of the Wood Sprites gathered in the grove around Mother Tree. When all had arrived he began, "As all of you know, today I went to discuss peace with the Snakes. I am sorry to announce that those negotiations were cut short. I was pulled away from the meeting by this." He pulled out the arrow and presented it to everyone assembled, there were collective gasps from the crowd. Silence followed his next words, "Some of you were present when last the Necromancer came to power. You have seen what he is capable of. The rest have heard of the viciousness of the Dead Wars. We knew that the seals holding him would fail eventually, and now is that time.
"We have spent five hundred years preparing this forest for invasion, knowing full well that the Necromancer would restart his campaign here. We have trained hard over time, perfecting arts we have mastered over thousands of years. It is time we put that training to use."
"Who fired this arrow?" Orin asked the crowd.
A girl steps from the crowd, his sister, Arian. He could see that her quiver was indeed missing a black feathered arrow.
"Where did you see the undead army sister? To the north where their kingdom lies and where we have seen the patrols?"
"No," she said, tears coming to her eyes. "The Necromancer has sent his main army to the south of the forest, the are marching deeper and deeper into our woods. The patrols were a decoy."
Orin paled and had to grip one of the lower branches of Mother Tree to keep from collapsing. The south was almost completely barren of traps. With all the kingdoms between the wastelands and the southern end of the Woods of Balon, no chieftains had seen fit to protect the south side. Orin was the first to have placed any traps in the south, but it was still next to nothing.
There was only one way that the Necromancer could've known that the south was empty. He had summoned the only Wood Sprite killed in the war against the Snakes, a casualty that the Snakes didn't even know they caused. Poor Benji, killed by the two Snakes when they entered the grove, now a slave to the Necromancer.
Benji had been the most recent Wood Sprite to have been sprouted, originally from Mero like Orin and his sister. He had also been the youngest Sprite ever to have sprouted, at the age of twelve. To think that he was now forced to serve the Necromancer was unbearable.
In his grief Orin knew that the rest of the crowd knew this sad fact as well. Everyone mourned the fate of Benji.
"Mother Tree has given us life and sustains that life, in return we protect Mother Tree. The Necromancer is trying to find her, to end all the life she gives, we have to protect her at all costs."
Many of the Wood Sprites were heartened at this. "Take your fill of her now, we leave in the hour and I don't know when we'll return."
Orin turned to enter the cavern under Mother Tree, to be nourished by her roots, his sister followed, followed by the rest.

mysterium November 7th, 2010 04:49 PM

You write one thing, and suddenly calling people "The Necromancer" is the next big thing.:D

Yays! Bumper15 is writing his own fan-fic!
:excited:

Really great so far to listen to the story of our friend Orin. Keep it up!

bumper15 November 7th, 2010 04:52 PM

I am honored that you would think that only me calling something "The Necromancer" makes it a big thing. :p

Thanks for the comment